Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratch-Off Skepticism

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 9 years ago by r2b2lynn.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #31647
February 1, 2006
22 Posts
Posted: January 28, 2008, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Hi. I have a question.
Let's say I want to play an instant scratch-off lottery game that has overall winning odds of 1 in 4.

If possible, how do I know those odds are not bogus?
Is there a way I can calculate those odds myself?

Unlike instant games, with all of the numbering possibilties of (for example) pick3, pick4 games, I know how to calculate the odds myself.

But with instant games, the consumer doesn't know how many tickets were printed (made).
If we did, (...assuming the odds of 1:4) we could say there are 10,000 winning tickets out of the 40,000 total tickets made.

I hope you can help answer my question(s) above.
Thanx.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5610 Posts
    Posted: January 28, 2008, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

In Texas, they post on the website for each scratch off game how many tickets are printed and how many winners are printed for each winning amount. Also, how many winners have been cashed in up to a certain date. They also post the overall odds. It's all pretty detailed, which I like, though I rarely play scratch offs anymore.

I suppose they could out and out lie about the statistics, but I rather doubt that would be the case. The state makes really good profit already, so why risk ruining the trust that they work so hard to build and maintain. 

United States
      Member #31647
      February 1, 2006
      22 Posts
      Posted: February 2, 2008, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

I went to the Texal lottery website.  You were right.

Thanks rcbbuckeye.