Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you trust quick picks generated by the Lotteries?

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 9 years ago by LottoAce.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
ArtVandalay's avatar - 3237774708 dd3351ee2c_m.jpg
Arizona
United States
Member #52803
June 10, 2007
88 Posts
Posted: January 30, 2008, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

The reason why I ask this question is because I have come to the inescapable conclusion that I don't!  I live in Arizona, and I play the Arizona Pick (6) lottery.  I've studied the last 50+ drawings of the AZ Pick (6) lottery, and I've detected some very recognizable patterns.  About 90% of the time, 1<= B1 <=13, 4<= B2 <=21, 11<= B3 <=30, 16<= B4 <=39, 24<= B5 <=42, 30<= B6 <=44. And the sum of all numbers is between 100 and 170, about 90% of the time. I've taken to generating my own quick picks which fall between these parameters, but I also buy 2 or 3 quick picks generated by the lottery, itself. Tonight, when I bought my tickets, one of the two QP's generated by the lottery was 24-27-35-36-38-44. Last Saturday, one of the two QP's generated by the lottery was 20-31-34-37-39-43. I've never seen the lowest ball higher than 19! And this type of nonsense just disgusts me! From here on, I think that I'll just generate my own quick picks. But I was just wondering, has anybody else seen this type of nonsense in quick picks generated by the lottery of their choice? By the way, sorry that I haven't posted in a while.

Money can't buy you happiness, but I sure could afford the misery that it brings! Wink

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
    Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #1303
    March 27, 2003
    1508 Posts
    Posted: January 30, 2008, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

The majority of jackpots are won by the state-generated quick picks.  This is because the majority of tickets sold are state generated quick picks.  Therefore, the QPs are quite valid.

I've seen what look like disgusting out-of-pattern QP numbers and those draws were won by a QP purchaser.  When it comes to the jackpot games, it's almost a waste of time to try and figure out what is going to fall next.  There are just too many combinations possible, and they all have an equal chance of being drawn/generated. 

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

JAP69's avatar - alas
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #6
      November 4, 2001
      8790 Posts
      Posted: January 30, 2008, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

If I got these on a quick pick for powerball I would not be happy.

But after the draw my mind would change quick enough about having those 5 white balls on my  quick picks.

Date   Winning Numbers
      (5 Numbers + Powerball)   Power Play   Jackpot   
       Sat, January 26, 2008  11 · 35 · 39 · 53 · 54    + 24  2  $25 Million 
       Wed, January 23, 2008  04 · 16 · 35 · 47 · 48    + 39  3  $20 Million 
       Sat, January 19, 2008 20 · 23 · 25 · 27 · 28    + 02  5  $15 Million 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10344 Posts
        Posted: January 31, 2008, 12:40 am - IP Logged

The Illinois Pick 5 game tonight was won with a QP (9th time this month).

The numbers drawn were 1 3 7 9 23.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
          Member #41383
          June 16, 2006
          1969 Posts
          Posted: January 31, 2008, 2:29 am - IP Logged

Let me say first all I play is Powerball.

Your concern is valid, from the huge number of charts I keep.

I split the white balls into two parts: 1-27, and 28-55.

70% of the time you will see two numbers come from the first group, and three from the second, OR, three from the first and two from the second group, and after that you see about 25% hit as 1/4 or 4/1.   5% of the time you will see a 5/0 or a 0/5.

That said, if you pick a 2/3 or a 3/2, and you don't win, that's really no different than a machine pick giving you 'bad' numbers, really, when you consider 70% of all winning tickets are QP's.

I have seen four numbers come from one group as you describe, but I also know that is no better than picking your own numbers, say something like 7-20-31-35-48: if they don't hit, they don't hit. Period.

If you want to take it a bit further, how many of your numbers are 'even' ?   Or 'odd' ??

I have all kinds of charts that mean nothing to anybody but me, and few would understand them, and so far that's only got me eleven  4x5's for $100 each, and no 4x5's in almost a year. I had nine in 2006, and two in 2007.

It's all the luck of the draw, and I've seen some really goofy things hit in the last 6 months, all the more reason to chalk it up to randomness. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: January 31, 2008, 5:09 am - IP Logged

I don't think there is anything to trust or not to trust.  I agree with Guesser's last statement

"It's all the luck of the draw, and I've seen some really goofy things hit in the last 6 months, all the more reason to chalk it up to randomness"

Tonight 1-5-6-7-10 won Fantasy 5.   A lot of people won, but they still won a lot more than I ever did.  Still, what are the odds that 5-6-7 will be drawn and all 5 numbers will be 10 or less in a 36 number game?  The answer is 376,992 to 1 or just like any other combination if it's all random.

Our Lotto has 6 numbers and odds of approx 23M to 1.  A couple of weeks ago 2 people split $47M.  One bought a QP and one didn't.  When they both got their checks, it didn't matter. 

I mean which winner was luckier?  The man who walked into 7-11 and said "I want a QP for Lotto" or the man who handed a card to a clerk at a grocery store. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: January 31, 2008, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

I just checked to see where the winning tickets were sold and if they were QPs. Usually when the numbers are unusually low, the numbers are self-picks.  I am posting the press release in blue below.  As you can see, only one person won with a QP (from a Free Draw)  People always say "but when you win with low numbers, you often have to split the jackpot."  Yes, and in this case, a lot of people won. However, someone took a dollar and got 2/5 numbers and won a free ticket.  He then used that free ticket to buy a QP.  Now he has $36,234.21 tax. (no state tax)  Would you complain? I wouldn't.

Anyway, to stick to the OP, had I gotten a QP with 1-5-6-7-10 I would have said "Aw Sh** to myself when the clerk handed it to me.  Then, when I checked my numbers this morning, I would have felt silly but grateful. 

The Florida Lottery announced today that seven players matched all five winning numbers in the Wednesday, Jan. 30, FANTASY 5 drawing and will share a $253,639.47 top prize.

The lucky winners will each receive $36,234.21.

The winning FANTASY 5 numbers were:

01 - 05 - 06 - 07 - 10

The winning tickets was sold at the following locations:

Publix
              2261 W. New Haven Avenue
              West Melbourne (Brevard County)

Publix
              1150 Malabar Road Southeast
              Palm Bay (Brevard County)

Publix
              18900 N. Tamiami Trail
              North Fort Myers (Lee County)

Publix
              10801 Starkey Road Building 200
              Largo (Pinellas County)

Publix
              1324 Homestead Road North
              Lehigh (Lee County)

7-Eleven
              1447 Alton Road
              Miami Beach (Miami-Dade County)

Publix - Quick Pick (Free Play)
              935 N. Beneva Road, Suite 101
              Sarasota (Sarasota County)

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                Wisconsin
                United States
                Member #1303
                March 27, 2003
                1508 Posts
                Posted: January 31, 2008, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

If I got these on a quick pick for powerball I would not be happy.

But after the draw my mind would change quick enough about having those 5 white balls on my  quick picks.

Date   Winning Numbers
                (5 Numbers + Powerball)   Power Play   Jackpot   
                 Sat, January 26, 2008  11 · 35 · 39 · 53 · 54    + 24  2  $25 Million 
                 Wed, January 23, 2008  04 · 16 · 35 · 47 · 48    + 39  3  $20 Million 
                 Sat, January 19, 2008 20 · 23 · 25 · 27 · 28    + 02  5  $15 Million 

Here's another example from our 6/39 game from last night.

The draw was  17 - 19 - 30 - 31 - 33 - 38

Anyone using "normal" statistical reasoning would have gotten this as a QP and figured "Man, that's an ugly one ! " They would have been $350,000 richer.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

benmas's avatar - waveform
                  Rhode Island
                  United States
                  Member #56010
                  October 28, 2007
                  434 Posts
                  Posted: January 31, 2008, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

Here's one the weirdest i have seen for any game: MATCH 6 in PA..it was won by 1.

12/25/2007

24, 25, 26, 27, 48, 49

4 in a row then 2 in a row, high sum

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                    Portland,Oregon
                    United States
                    Member #14387
                    April 25, 2005
                    229 Posts
                    Posted: January 31, 2008, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

I always buy a few QPs when I buy tickets - I've done better with QPs than with picking my own numbers so far. Especially with the state (Oregon) lottery - for Wednesday's drawing this week I got a QP with the state "kicker" (it multiplies the smaller, non jackpot winnings x4) - and won $296 - cuz there were two lines each with 4 out of 6 of the drawn numbers :) and a couple of years ago I had a QP with 5 of 6 numbers for $1950 -

As for "funny numbers" - the Oregon lottery once had 2 draws one after the other that had exactly the same numbers!

It's that "5%" that fall outside the norm that make it such fun to try to predict what will come up next - and if you study the stats long enough you can get a sense for when the next set of funny numbers is getting ready to pop up.  Like if it's been a really long time - longer that the "statistics" say it should be - that white balls will all be high or even or low - you can try taking out all the balls that don't fit what ever odd occurance your looking at - might work :)

Big Grin   

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

wyoming, michigan
                      United States
                      Member #53058
                      June 22, 2007
                      637 Posts
                      Posted: January 31, 2008, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

Mich fantasy 5   1-29-08

2-3-4-5-24.  God bless and good luck. 

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3474 Posts
                        Posted: February 1, 2008, 1:54 am - IP Logged

"I've never seen the lowest ball higher than 19!"

How often have you seen a winning combination that matches a combination you played?  You can look at the range of numbers for a typical drawing until the end of time, but you win by getting an exact match, not by playing a similar pattern. I assume that if you got a QP that had the numbers 1,2 6, 10,11, 13 you'd complain that it's a bad combination for a number of reasons, but having it two weeks ago would have won you the jackpot.

You can split all of the possible combinations into thousands of categories, some of which seem sensible (high/low, odd/even), and some of which would seem completely arbitrary. No matter how you do it, if a category contains 30% of the possible combinations you can expect the winning combination to fit that category 30% of the time. Playing a combination that is in the same category as the winning combination, but not matching that combination pays exactly $0 100% of the time.

QP's are supposed to be random, and that means that they can have any of the possible combinations, regardless of how you feel about any particular combination. Buying QP's if you don't want a random combination is foolish, but that has nothing to do with trusting QP's.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                          MD
                          United States
                          Member #1701
                          June 18, 2003
                          8359 Posts
                          Posted: February 1, 2008, 2:14 am - IP Logged

When Bernadette Gietka bought this quick pick for mega millions she stuffed it in her pocket book saying no way these numbers would ever win. But she did win

Friday, June 20, 200301 · 02 · 03 · 12 · 37    + 35$180 Million

It has nothing to do with the numbers you get it has everything to do with the numbers they draw, and wether or not your holding the winning ticket.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
                            Member #17555
                            June 22, 2005
                            5582 Posts
                            Posted: February 1, 2008, 10:34 am - IP Logged

I stopped purchasing QPs for Floriduh's Fantasy Five Game. I play my own picks because on many many occasions I've noticed that atleast 2 or 3 numbers from the previous night's winning numbers appear on the QPs. Not just one line but a few lines. It's not that they don't have an equal chance of coming out, but in my opinion they have less of a chance.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                              Idaho
                              United States
                              Member #56506
                              November 21, 2007
                              6537 Posts
                              Posted: February 1, 2008, 11:43 am - IP Logged

The reason why I ask this question is because I have come to the inescapable conclusion that I don't!  I live in Arizona, and I play the Arizona Pick (6) lottery.  I've studied the last 50+ drawings of the AZ Pick (6) lottery, and I've detected some very recognizable patterns.  About 90% of the time, 1<= B1 <=13, 4<= B2 <=21, 11<= B3 <=30, 16<= B4 <=39, 24<= B5 <=42, 30<= B6 <=44. And the sum of all numbers is between 100 and 170, about 90% of the time. I've taken to generating my own quick picks which fall between these parameters, but I also buy 2 or 3 quick picks generated by the lottery, itself. Tonight, when I bought my tickets, one of the two QP's generated by the lottery was 24-27-35-36-38-44. Last Saturday, one of the two QP's generated by the lottery was 20-31-34-37-39-43. I've never seen the lowest ball higher than 19! And this type of nonsense just disgusts me! From here on, I think that I'll just generate my own quick picks. But I was just wondering, has anybody else seen this type of nonsense in quick picks generated by the lottery of their choice? By the way, sorry that I haven't posted in a while.

Not really. I still get qps every now and then if I am in a hurry, but I tend to choose my own numbers. I usually dislike the numbers the qp generator give me and I hate when I get three or four numbers in a row like, 12-13-14-15. I know those sequence of numbers can be drawn, but I dislike getting combinations like those.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."