Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can you SMELL that PA STENCH?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 9 years ago by benmas.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
Idaho
United States
Member #56506
November 21, 2007
6537 Posts
Posted: February 7, 2008, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

I was raised by my parents and grandparents, as you probably were, to be sensitive to justice issues.  When I read your post, I thought you were trying to tell me to shut up when I thought it was an issue worth discussing.  If I unfairly likened you to people in the '60's who just wanted black people (and the white people who marched with them) to just "go away" or "be quiet", I apologize.  I am hoping you see that rather than give you an "F-U" back at you, which is not constructive, that the time I spend crafting this and my other posts shows that I do care about you, and the others here, if only in a way that is hindered by my imperfect way of expressing things.

I sent you a private message. I apologize for overreacting.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
    Member #26882
    November 23, 2005
    1404 Posts
    Posted: February 8, 2008, 12:01 am - IP Logged

Maybe you're too close to the ocean. Wink

Hiding Behind ComputerI only wish Pac! 4 or 5 hours drive away to get to an ocean for me. Still smells fishy here though!

benmas's avatar - waveform
      Rhode Island
      United States
      Member #56010
      October 28, 2007
      434 Posts
      Posted: February 8, 2008, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

this discussion is getting too long yes...OK the game got 2x as hard..i dont like it..dont like the odds dont like the payouts...Not trying to defend the lottery here GREG (My name is not Jimmy) ..I am trying to decide on alternatives....What do i do? I am a regular lotto player...What are my options now?

Let's see...

Treasure Hunt (RNG) the jackpot payouts are very low...I dont trust computers..Decision: NO

Match 6: odds are 1 in 14 million (even with 3 plays still 5x odds as high as cash 5 but jackpot is not) costs $2..DECISION: NO

Mix and MAtch: 1 in 1,300,000 odds jackpot starts at 50K rolls slowly, costs $2...Its basically match 5 balls or spin wheels with free tickets, $2, $4 etc...Decision: ah i try it occasionally... hard to win jackpot here NO

Powerball: 5/55 odds 3,500,000..pays $200,000 <<<this is not better than cash 5..Decision: I play it when it gets high past $50 MILL but since its not a daily game and i play lotto 3 or 4 times a week this is not a substitute for a pick 5 game

CASH 5: 5/43 odds 1;962.598 jackpot can be around $300,000 at least once a week YEah its harder but it cost $1 it has the better odds for jackpot games in PA ..DECISION: THIS is STILL the best game odds wise and payout wise 

MY Choice is PA Cash 5 ..it makes sense when you think about it ..ok the game is harder to win but where do i go..the others are not better...stop playing? thats simply not a choice for me..

do you understand my logic now..not defending anybody...what options do you offer? NOT to play is not an option

Rhode Island
        United States
        Member #56010
        October 28, 2007
        434 Posts
        Posted: February 8, 2008, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

100% legal fraud! <<< I  DISAGREE with whoever said that ..no one is forcing you to play..you want to hold out and boycott..thats fine..the lottery is just a game of chance where players VOLUNTARILY participate against very big odds in order to win money...the odds are big with 5/39 and they are bigger with 5/43 ..so what.. you still need luck to win jackpot..so the basics have not changed (getting lucky vs getting lucky a bit more)...YOU dont have a right to have a lottery thats fits you..these are games of chance...ALSO Remember that lottery proceeds benefit worthy programs (senior citizens, education, tax rebates, etc)...get over it...

United States
          Member #119
          February 19, 2002
          527 Posts
          Posted: February 8, 2008, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

I know this wasn't directed to me, or that scary chick needs me to defend her in any way, but I must say this. She was only implying that the first ranting post about the "Stench" had more than enough space for continued bitching, and that additional threads was redundant.

I thought that was very clear and to the point. She never denied your right to expound. 

You know, pac, if you spent as much passion attacking the fretboard of your guitar as you do people, BB King would opening for YOU!

:-)

In point of fact, I have read so many of your posts over the years, and enjoyed their spirit, and I never once attacked you for your redundancy and repetitiveness.  I'm not "bitching", I'm merely pointing out an injustice and that those that defend the new 5/43 game have YET to respond point by point to my points.

I guess rather than attack the arguments they choose to attack the person.

I own what I write.  It's just a shame there are a few here who don't own what THEY have written.  As for scary chick, she and I have had a very nice exchange of pms.  The next time you care to choose I'm "bitching", please apply equal justice to LP posters who may not bitch but post on and on and on about less controversial stuff.  I recognize their right to free, respectful speech; why can't you recognize my right?

United States
            Member #119
            February 19, 2002
            527 Posts
            Posted: February 8, 2008, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

Actually, Benmas, considering how other posts in recent years have gone on for pages and pages and pages, this discussion is not getting too long. 

And having read and re-read your post, I think you make some very fine points.  In fact, your post is a living testament to and exposure of how the jackpots in PA and their respective number fields were emasculatied.

But to my mind, if I have a choice between voting in a rigged election or none at all, I choose "none at all".  The change of the 5/39 game to 5/43, in my view, needs to be met with vehement protest and not just by citizens of PA, but all lotto players in our countryFailure to do so will mean that other states will follow suit, as evidenced by the cowardly states that adopted and followed through with computerization.  This is unacceptable .  Enough is enough.

Increasing the number field by 4 numbers while NOT doubling the new jackpot amount of $125k (as was done the past 2 decades or more of the 5/39 game) IS legal fraud, especially given PA's fraudulent advertising AND the misleading posts made here months previous.

In the final analysis, I do concede your final point in your well reasonsed post: yes, the 5/43 game, given the horrendous other games, is the preferable game to play.  But that does not mean that the decisions the Harrisburgheads made to exploit players and lie were fair or just or right.

And lastly, if we educate players to take a stand, things CAN change.  But only if we want it badly enough.  Until then, cowardly lotto execs will employ high priced "lottery consultants" to exploit and take advantage of hard working, tax paying citizens (through computerization & increased number fields with reduced jackpots) who are already burdened by high property taxes and a war costing one million a minute.

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools".

-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: February 8, 2008, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

You know, pac, if you spent as much passion attacking the fretboard of your guitar as you do people, BB King would opening for YOU!

:-)

In point of fact, I have read so many of your posts over the years, and enjoyed their spirit, and I never once attacked you for your redundancy and repetitiveness.  I'm not "bitching", I'm merely pointing out an injustice and that those that defend the new 5/43 game have YET to respond point by point to my points.

I guess rather than attack the arguments they choose to attack the person.

I own what I write.  It's just a shame there are a few here who don't own what THEY have written.  As for scary chick, she and I have had a very nice exchange of pms.  The next time you care to choose I'm "bitching", please apply equal justice to LP posters who may not bitch but post on and on and on about less controversial stuff.  I recognize their right to free, respectful speech; why can't you recognize my right?

I was merely pointing out an observation. I hardly call that an attack.

Secondly, as much freedom of speech you have, I have equally, so what's your point? These forums are here for discussion and I will use them as I feel, unless I'm told otherwise by the administrator for being out of line.

I just wanted to say that you don't have to have 3 threads on the same subject. That dosen't mean you CAN'T do it, but it was my observation, and I have the right to express it.

Third, If you think I was too blunt, then simply use the "Block" feature. Problem solved. See how easy that is?

P.S. Thanx for liking my past posts. But I'm just a regular guy, nothing awe inspiring here.

Rhode Island
                United States
                Member #56010
                October 28, 2007
                434 Posts
                Posted: February 9, 2008, 3:51 am - IP Logged

Unfortunately there is not much that can be done when it comes to lottery..

(petitions, boycotts, don't work lets keep it real here)

The reason they will get away with it is because playing lotto is not a neccessity in every day life...

The lottery office will always back it up with smth like: players ask for higher jackpot...it benefits programs etc...

Also changing lotteries is nothing new..They ALL change with time...whether it is format, matrix, jackpot payouts, ticket price..it always changes after a while...For example:

PA Lotto started in 1982 $1 ticket 6/40..... in 1988 it changed to WILD CARD 6/48 bonus number higher jackpot...(6 year stint)

PA Super 7 started in 1986 (7 of 11  out of 80)...but then it stopped and replaced by Keystone JACKPOT in 1995 (9 years)...the new game only lasted 3 years when it was replaced with Super 6 which also replaced WILD card as well...Super 6 changed to MATCH 6 in 2004 with a new format...(6 year stint)

Cash 5 started in 1992 as 5/39...$100,000 jackpot ....it changed in 2008 after a 16 year stint unchanged...

Since pick 5 is a popular game and it went so long without change many players are upset...this is understandable...

POWERball and MEGA Millions have changed number fields too with the intoduction of higher pots....

After few years they will follow additional changes...

It seems like everyone wants to strike it BIG TIME and they dont care about odds when they see a jackpot like $300 million...I know a lot of people that NEVER play lottery and some are strongly opposed to it...BUT they always buy a ticket when POwerball gets to $200,000,000.

So higher odds = higher jackpots (when rolling) which = bigger sales which = bigger profits for state lottery

What can we do about all these changes?...I only see two options: DON"T PLAY or PLAY ON..also when it is time to vote go out and vote and consider your choices carefully..this is only way to make a stand..once they get the vote petitions and all the other whining WONT change anything...i think this holds true for other things besides lotto