Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Money can't buy you happines

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Clairvoyance.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
Member #55246
September 20, 2007
225 Posts
Posted: February 9, 2008, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

I am in the minority here. I believe that money can't buy you hapiness. What makes me truly happy are things that no amount of money can buy: love, peace of mind, friendship...

I have stage 4 colon cancer- that's the reason I started playing the lottery, for a chance to pay off all debts before I leave this world. I am still happy even if I don't win. FOLFOX with Avastin (the chemo drugs I am on) is working, I am still here, everyday is a blessing, nothing is taken for granted.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: February 9, 2008, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

I am in the minority here. I believe that money can't buy you hapiness. What makes me truly happy are things that no amount of money can buy: love, peace of mind, friendship...

I have stage 4 colon cancer- that's the reason I started playing the lottery, for a chance to pay off all debts before I leave this world. I am still happy even if I don't win. FOLFOX with Avastin (the chemo drugs I am on) is working, I am still here, everyday is a blessing, nothing is taken for granted.

Well, I do agree with you that money can't buy love, peace of mind and true friendship, there are some things money can't buy. I do hope you win big someday Jack Pot.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #1303
      March 27, 2003
      1508 Posts
      Posted: February 9, 2008, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

Sorry folks I couldn't resist.  This morning I again heard the cliche'  "money can't buy you  happiness".  My first response was...

MAYBE, BUT YOU CAN SURE DRIVE UP TO MISERY IN A HELLUVA NICE CAR!

Please send me your favorites.  I need to keep my spirits up.

Thanks.Banana

I still like this quote (it was a celebrity, but I can't remember who it was at the moment)

I've been rich and I've been poor.    Rich is better.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5582 Posts
        Posted: February 9, 2008, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

I still like this quote (it was a celebrity, but I can't remember who it was at the moment)

I've been rich and I've been poor.    Rich is better.

Gene Stone, Judy Resnick.

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: February 9, 2008, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

I'm truly sorry you're going through this, and my heart aches reading this.

You're very correct. All the money won't do anybody any good if they're health is compromised.

Life and all it's ironies is relative based on one's own perspectives. Ironically, most won't realize this until they are going through it themselves. Somehow, money is not that important anymore, unless like you say to not leave bills behind for loved ones to take care of.

I admire your strength and positive attitude, because I have no idea how I would cope in a similar situation.

Please continue to be strong, and remember, everything said here is just a temporal anticdote to a much deeper meaning as you well know. And I'm guilty of it too.

I commend you for your courage. Also, try to seek holistic treatment, as I have seen in the past from many testimonials, surprising benefits abound from it.

Thanx for waking us all up from a dreamland of selfish endeavors, and enlightening us of what really counts. health is top priority, because everything else is just moot.

May the great spirit of the universe find you as a candidate for healing. I'm truly humbled by what you wrote. Sometimes we all need a reality check.

benmas's avatar - waveform
            Rhode Island
            United States
            Member #56010
            October 28, 2007
            434 Posts
            Posted: February 9, 2008, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

MONEY Can't buy you LOVE...but it can rent you a very close imitation...as far as those who say can't buy happiness, give me $100 and i'll be very happy..

"Ed Diener, a University of Illinois psychologist, said that the connection was complex but that very rich people rated substantially higher in satisfaction with life than very poor people did, even within wealthy nations. “There is overwhelming evidence that money buys happiness,” said Andrew Oswald..."

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
              N.C.
              United States
              Member #56005
              October 28, 2007
              877 Posts
              Posted: February 9, 2008, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

whoever claims that money can't but you happiness, don't know what the hell there talking about.

they should shut there freakin **** holsters, and realize that they now live a miserable life and should get off there butts and do something about it.

I have a happy marriage, some good friends, I didn't come from a disfunctional family, I'm not a hateful person who lives to see others in misery, I don't drowned myself in self pity, I'm not the kind of person that has to put others down to raise my own self esteem. I don't have any credit card debt, and owe nothing but a morgage and a car note.

yet, I work like a dog and the freakin man doesn't even bother to throw me a bone!

ALL OF MY PROBLEMS REVOLVE AROUND MONEY.

The only thing I despise about my life is that I am poor! That I can't afford the things that I know my wife and I deserve. I'm not talking about expensive cars, or a bigger house or, exotic vacations in the Bahamas, I'm talking about the small things that every one else has that we have to sacrifice on a daily basis.

I'm not talking about keeping up with the Jones family.

I'm talking about FREEDOM!

and making the Jones family my *B&%#@!!!

I am tired of my wife having to work for a living and seeing the tears drop from her eyes because of the pain that she is in from working all day on her feet.

If we we had money, no one would own us like they do!

So, Unless your a disfunctional bag of $*** like Brittney Spears...Yes Money can solve all your problems.

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                CA
                United States
                Member #57222
                December 23, 2007
                587 Posts
                Posted: February 9, 2008, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Money Can't buy you Happiness.......Green laugh

Depends on what makes you happy.

Warm Oatmeal Raisin cookies make me happy.

Seasoned Meatloaf with garlic mashed potatoes and seasoned green beans make me happy.

Not having any bills to pay and not having to rush out of the house everyday of the week to engage in solving other peoples problems would make me happy. (ok, my work is my choice)
                But money is incorporated in all of these things. They  may not need  large sums of money but I can name some big items that would make me happy.
                Heck. just giving out a few bucks (to family) makes me happy. ( that's, when I have it)
                litebets

Hey Litebet i'm with you,

Although I can safetly say that that money can't buy those things, or as the song says "the best things in life are free," the abundance of money will indeed free you from the misery of trying to find that next dollar to pay a bill and buy those groceries.  We are all on this site for a reason.  We  all play the lottery for a reason.  Maybe  the saying shouldn't concern happiness  but should say "money can't buy you total piece of mind.... but" 

I want to win the lottery-period,  I wouldnt play if I didnt.  No one plays for fun.  So, I guess its all relative.  What  price are you willing to pay  for the freedom of financial security with a lottery winning? So let me say, "money can't buy me happiness, but It will relieve some of the pressures I live with today," although Its not as funny as my original statement.

Money can't but you happiness, But It will pay for a very large smile for  a few years.

Besides, I already know what it feels like to be broke and unhappy, let me see what the other way feels like,  or "God, let me proove to you that winning the lottery won't spoil me.Blue Angel

United States
                  Member #55246
                  September 20, 2007
                  225 Posts
                  Posted: February 9, 2008, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

Well, I do agree with you that money can't buy love, peace of mind and true friendship, there are some things money can't buy. I do hope you win big someday Jack Pot.

I sure hope so too, TSC... but after you, ladies first. Big Smile

United States
                    Member #55246
                    September 20, 2007
                    225 Posts
                    Posted: February 9, 2008, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

I'm truly sorry you're going through this, and my heart aches reading this.

You're very correct. All the money won't do anybody any good if they're health is compromised.

Life and all it's ironies is relative based on one's own perspectives. Ironically, most won't realize this until they are going through it themselves. Somehow, money is not that important anymore, unless like you say to not leave bills behind for loved ones to take care of.

I admire your strength and positive attitude, because I have no idea how I would cope in a similar situation.

Please continue to be strong, and remember, everything said here is just a temporal anticdote to a much deeper meaning as you well know. And I'm guilty of it too.

I commend you for your courage. Also, try to seek holistic treatment, as I have seen in the past from many testimonials, surprising benefits abound from it.

Thanx for waking us all up from a dreamland of selfish endeavors, and enlightening us of what really counts. health is top priority, because everything else is just moot.

May the great spirit of the universe find you as a candidate for healing. I'm truly humbled by what you wrote. Sometimes we all need a reality check.

Thanks for wishing me well, Pac. I am researcing on alternative methods to cancer treatment. My onco doc said there is no cure for stage 4, he said that our best hope is chemo, surgery, then more chemo- which hopefully will keep the cancer at bay until science finds cure.

I'm sorry for deraililng this thread lottocalgal. Now, back to topic  Blue Angel... I think money placed in its rightful place (not above God, family, friends, other people), may buy things for us and for others that will make us happy. However, for me happiness is still free, it can't be bought.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10392 Posts
                      Posted: February 9, 2008, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

I agree with what Pac said before about a happy person or a miserable person will be what they are regardless of how much money they have.

As far as money buying happiness, well David Edwards comes to mind.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: February 10, 2008, 12:18 am - IP Logged

Question:   Can money buy you happiness?

Answer:  No, but it some countries it can buy you the Presidency.

Yes Nod

United States
                          Member #58287
                          February 8, 2008
                          24 Posts
                          Posted: February 10, 2008, 1:01 am - IP Logged

It really depends what happiness means to you.

If  materialistic things brings you happiness, such as mansions, cars, fancy items than yes it does.

If your form of happiness is having a loving wife, good friends, a nice stable family than no it doesnt. 

to those saying, if your miserable, you would still be miserable winning a jackpot. Again, it depends on why you are miserable. If your miserable because your in huuge debt, cant pay your mortgage, cant find a job than I would say that statement is false. But if your miserable because everyone hates you, your kids hate you, your wife divorced you and such than I would say that statement is true.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10392 Posts
                            Posted: February 10, 2008, 1:17 am - IP Logged

Yaddamean

Materialistic things never really being happiness, they only bring a desire for more material things.

Maslow's triangle.

We start with a desire for food, clothing, and shelter. Once we have that we want other things, compnaionship, a sense of being needed, etc....Having all that, we reach "self actualization".

But then it starts all over, back to the bottom level of the triangle, but now we want better food, nicer clothing, and nicer shelter.

Ad nauseam... 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                              Member #54390
                              August 17, 2007
                              313 Posts
                              Posted: February 10, 2008, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

People who say "Money doesn't buy you happiness", never had any.