Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 8:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Money can't buy you happines

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Clairvoyance.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
Member #55246
September 20, 2007
225 Posts
Posted: February 10, 2008, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

People who say "Money doesn't buy you happiness", never had any.

Ugghhh... that would be me.Big Smile

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10353 Posts
    Posted: February 10, 2008, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

People who say "Money doesn't buy you happiness", never had any.

I think you have to take that person by person, and consider how they came by their money.

The person that made the most money of everyone I ever personally knew was one misearable bast***. 

Or how about someone making some real serious money, but the way they make it is so demanding of them that their life is one continuous stream of work-eat-sleep and nothing else?

Dentists make some serious money, and have one of the highest suicide rates there is. Figure that one out.  

For people who don't come "from money" and then fall into it (the "novueau riche") it's far too easy to get caugh in the "if only" trap.

If only I had a Ferrari, I know I'd be happy.

Then the happiness that came with the Ferrari is oh so fleeting.

Then it's, "If I only I had a yacht, I just know I'd be happy."

That leads into the "two best days of owning a boat" scenario- the day you buy it - and the day you sell it!

Then it's, "If only I lived in Hawaii then I know I'd be happy" (AA calls this the "geographic "cure" - "I just know I'll stop drinking if I move to Texas, etc...) 

I think in many cases, what ever a person tends to be, happy or not, will just be "magnified" with a large jackpot win.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      CA
      United States
      Member #57222
      December 23, 2007
      587 Posts
      Posted: February 10, 2008, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

But Coin.

I cant exactly agree with this one.  I think that might apply only to those kinds of people.  My misery comes from  not knowing the finanical future I will have when i can no longer work. It also comes from having  my ventures fall apart as i'm trying to secure a future.  I don't need that fancy stuff. (looks at posts on what I would buy)  but my fear is I will get to a time when I can't work and wont be able to sustain.  My savings, like most americans, wont cut it.  So yes,  money can't buy me happiness, but It will buy me the piece of mind that I now crave.  If nothing else, WHEN I win, I can put enough away to secure my retirment and the rest will be to help those who I know will appreciate it.  If I never when, then I will continue to strive for it in some other (legal) way.  But coin, The cars, yachts, mansions, don't even remotely thrill me.  So for those of us just want security and the simple things,  yes, I think money can buy me happiness or at least the feeling of relief and i can finally rest at night.

Bed

United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10353 Posts
        Posted: February 10, 2008, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

All good points, lottocalgal. 

Can we say people thinking material things aren't exactly seeking security though?

Different breeds of cat I guess.

Your post made me think of the old adage about gambling being the working slobs only real hope of ever making a big score, and being "set" and comfortable.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: February 11, 2008, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

whoever claims that money can't but you happiness, don't know what the hell there talking about.

they should shut there freakin **** holsters, and realize that they now live a miserable life and should get off there butts and do something about it.

I have a happy marriage, some good friends, I didn't come from a disfunctional family, I'm not a hateful person who lives to see others in misery, I don't drowned myself in self pity, I'm not the kind of person that has to put others down to raise my own self esteem. I don't have any credit card debt, and owe nothing but a morgage and a car note.

yet, I work like a dog and the freakin man doesn't even bother to throw me a bone!

ALL OF MY PROBLEMS REVOLVE AROUND MONEY.

The only thing I despise about my life is that I am poor! That I can't afford the things that I know my wife and I deserve. I'm not talking about expensive cars, or a bigger house or, exotic vacations in the Bahamas, I'm talking about the small things that every one else has that we have to sacrifice on a daily basis.

I'm not talking about keeping up with the Jones family.

I'm talking about FREEDOM!

and making the Jones family my *B&%#@!!!

I am tired of my wife having to work for a living and seeing the tears drop from her eyes because of the pain that she is in from working all day on her feet.

If we we had money, no one would own us like they do!

So, Unless your a disfunctional bag of $*** like Brittney Spears...Yes Money can solve all your problems.

This has to be one of the most unfounded posts I've seen. Plenty of people who have perfectly good lives are smart enough to realize that their happiness may be helped by money, but doesn't come from it. Plenty of other people are unhappy for reasons that can't be solved by money and that are completely beyond their control.  If you don't understand that you're either very fortunate, very unobservant, or stupid.She certainly has more problems than most, but Britney Spiers is among the best proof that money can't buy you happiness.

Maybe all of your problems come from not having enough money (but why don't you have enough, and why haven't you gotten off your butt to do something about it?), but most people have problems that can't be solved by money. Most of those problems are minor and don't cause much unhappiness, but some of those problems are significant, and nobody is immune. If it bothers you to see your wife work for a living how would you feel if she was in constant physical pain from an illness or accident? Suppose she couldn't work at all, and required constant care?  There are all sort of problems people deal with, and some are  completely beyond our control. Others are within our control, but take a great deal of effort to solve (again, Britney Spiers is probably a good example).

In the case of Spiers, a lot of money for a lot of therapy might lead to happiness, but that happiness would come from solving the underlying problems, not the money that pays for the therapy. The best that money can do is eliminate some unhappiness and offer some freedom.

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: February 11, 2008, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

Obviously if health is an issue the point of money is moot, but even then one can get the best health care for comfort and other qualities of life.

I think the issue here is about relatively healthy people and happiness, not if you have one foot in the grave. And to compare a loser like britney spears is rediculous. This is what I was saying in my earlier post about putting everyone in one pot. Britney is britney, and I'm me, not her, not joe schmo, or any other clown who foolishly wastes their lives away.That's them, not me.

Like I said before, sure there are wealthy people who are misreable, but there are plenty of wealthy people who are very content. So what is your point? There's this group and that group to everything, including wealthy and non wealthy people. Somehow people think wealth is immune to groupings of people.

When I pick up people from a 3 million dollar house in Bonita Bay, in Bonita Springs Florida and drive them to the airport, they have a smile from ear to ear.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: February 11, 2008, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

Maybe we're all using the wrong words.  Money can't make a miserable person happy unless that's the only reason he's miserable.  Money can't buy a person true love, but maybe some people don't care about true love and just want to spend money traveling and meeting new people all the time.  I mean, it's possible the 19 year old naked girls that live with Heffner love him for his intellect and personality (yeah, sure) but some men don't mind knowing that their power & money is why people like them.  Look at all the old, wrinkled celebrities who are married to young, beautiful people. (both men & women)  Even if love exists, nobody can convince me that money is not a very big factor in the relationship.  Look at J. Howard Marshall and look at Anna Nicole.  Do you think he believed for a second that she was attracted to his sexy body?  Yet she made him very happy!

So happiness might be the wrong word.  It probably can't buy inner peace & serenity, and it won't get you to Nirvana or Heaven or whatever your belief is, but it can make your life a lot better.  Money is an attitude. 

Britney is not a good example...she had superstardom much too young.  On the other hand, so did Jodie Foster who took a break and went to Yale. So did Danica McKellar who was a very popular young actress (The Wonder Years) and went on to become a mathematician and honor student, graduating UCLA.  Brooke Shields, Ron Howard, Rob Reiner, Penny Marshall, Melissa Gilbert, Sarah Jessica Parker, and the list goes on....people always single out the ones who have problems with stardom and money. That's because they get more media attention.  I bet Goldie Hawn's daughter, Kate Hudson, is happy her parents were stinking rich.  Who wouldn't love to give their children everything so they don't need to struggle?  It doesn't mean they won't turn out to be good people or responsible adults.  I know wealthy people whose children went to the best schools and are successful professionals.  I think the happiness some people are talking about is that life is much harder when you work 12 hours a day and can't get ahead.  There's no argument there.  

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: February 11, 2008, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Pac writes: When I pick up people from a 3 million dollar house in Bonita Bay, in Bonita Springs Florida and drive them to the airport, they have a smile from ear to ear.

You've got that right!  Bonita Bay is nothing!  What about the people in Mediterra, Barefoot Beach and Collier's Reserve?    They all seem to be having a grand time shopping, golfing, boating and eating out and throwing a few bucks to the rest of us.  However, be happy they exist or there would never be any jobs around here.

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10353 Posts
                  Posted: February 11, 2008, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

Justxploring,

Remeber that Benny Hill skit where he was in the sack with a hot British babe (of course, it as Benny Hill) and she's holding something up and asks, "What's this thing called, luv?"

Green laugh

Lep

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3474 Posts
                    Posted: February 11, 2008, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

Maybe we're all using the wrong words.  Money can't make a miserable person happy unless that's the only reason he's miserable.  Money can't buy a person true love, but maybe some people don't care about true love and just want to spend money traveling and meeting new people all the time.  I mean, it's possible the 19 year old naked girls that live with Heffner love him for his intellect and personality (yeah, sure) but some men don't mind knowing that their power & money is why people like them.  Look at all the old, wrinkled celebrities who are married to young, beautiful people. (both men & women)  Even if love exists, nobody can convince me that money is not a very big factor in the relationship.  Look at J. Howard Marshall and look at Anna Nicole.  Do you think he believed for a second that she was attracted to his sexy body?  Yet she made him very happy!

So happiness might be the wrong word.  It probably can't buy inner peace & serenity, and it won't get you to Nirvana or Heaven or whatever your belief is, but it can make your life a lot better.  Money is an attitude. 

Britney is not a good example...she had superstardom much too young.  On the other hand, so did Jodie Foster who took a break and went to Yale. So did Danica McKellar who was a very popular young actress (The Wonder Years) and went on to become a mathematician and honor student, graduating UCLA.  Brooke Shields, Ron Howard, Rob Reiner, Penny Marshall, Melissa Gilbert, Sarah Jessica Parker, and the list goes on....people always single out the ones who have problems with stardom and money. That's because they get more media attention.  I bet Goldie Hawn's daughter, Kate Hudson, is happy her parents were stinking rich.  Who wouldn't love to give their children everything so they don't need to struggle?  It doesn't mean they won't turn out to be good people or responsible adults.  I know wealthy people whose children went to the best schools and are successful professionals.  I think the happiness some people are talking about is that life is much harder when you work 12 hours a day and can't get ahead.  There's no argument there.  

I don't think the words are important. I'm sure everyone understands "happiness" well enough.

You can list all of the happy and succesful people you want, but it only takes one person who has plenty of money and still isn't happy to prove that money can't buy happiness.  At the moment, Britney Spears is a very prominent example of somebody with a lot of money who appears to be unhappy.  According to Forbes she had a net worth of $100 million about a year ago. If that won't buy her happiness that should be more than adequate proof that money doesn't buy happiness.   

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: February 11, 2008, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

Pac writes: When I pick up people from a 3 million dollar house in Bonita Bay, in Bonita Springs Florida and drive them to the airport, they have a smile from ear to ear.

You've got that right!  Bonita Bay is nothing!  What about the people in Mediterra, Barefoot Beach and Collier's Reserve?    They all seem to be having a grand time shopping, golfing, boating and eating out and throwing a few bucks to the rest of us.  However, be happy they exist or there would never be any jobs around here.

How about the guy who is building a 90 million dollar house in Naples. He sold his telecommunication company a while back. He had to buy 4 houses and break them down just for the room. The lot alone costs 25 million.

Then there's that woman who built a 60 million dollar house, with a chapel on top of it. The cabinets alone are 3 million.

Both of them must be just horribly unsatisfied with their hideous lives. I feel so sorry for those poor souls. Poor things.

They must be totally misreable. tsk tsk....

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                        Member #4877
                        May 30, 2004
                        5122 Posts
                        Posted: February 11, 2008, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

Sorry folks I couldn't resist.  This morning I again heard the cliche'  "money can't buy you  happiness".  My first response was...

MAYBE, BUT YOU CAN SURE DRIVE UP TO MISERY IN A HELLUVA NICE CAR!

Please send me your favorites.  I need to keep my spirits up.

Thanks.Banana

THANKSSSSSSSS lottocalgal!

My first thought (response) was.......IF you LIKE "LOTTERY POST"

support the LOTTERY POST>>>>>>>>>>>> Gift Shoppe !!!

BECAUSE......if Todd hit's (JACKPOT)

before UR >>>>>>>>>>>>MEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

HE will surly FLY-AWAY >>> & forget "YOU and ME"^^^^^^^

"BE POSITIVE" send UR momey to ORAL BILL & HILL^^^^

or >>>> TRUST Todd w/ur momey enjoy>>Gift Shoppe !!!

LOL

PSYKOMO 

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          5122 Posts
                          Posted: February 11, 2008, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

THANKSSSSSSSS lottocalgal!

My first thought (response) was.......IF you LIKE "LOTTERY POST"

support the LOTTERY POST>>>>>>>>>>>> Gift Shoppe !!!

BECAUSE......if Todd hit's (JACKPOT)

before UR >>>>>>>>>>>>MEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

HE will surly FLY-AWAY >>> & forget "YOU and ME"^^^^^^^

"BE POSITIVE" send UR momey to ORAL BILL & HILL^^^^

or >>>> TRUST Todd w/ur momey enjoy>>Gift Shoppe !!!

LOL

PSYKOMO 

The Fabric

LIKE's the Lottery Post Gift Shop>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

United States
                            Member #4877
                            May 30, 2004
                            5122 Posts
                            Posted: February 11, 2008, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

The Fabric

LIKE's the Lottery Post Gift Shop>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

get>>>>IT^^

The Fabric

The Fabric........The Fabric.......The Fabric......The Fabric......The>>

Todd & the LOTTERY POST>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
                              N.C.
                              United States
                              Member #56005
                              October 28, 2007
                              832 Posts
                              Posted: February 11, 2008, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

This has to be one of the most unfounded posts I've seen. Plenty of people who have perfectly good lives are smart enough to realize that their happiness may be helped by money, but doesn't come from it. Plenty of other people are unhappy for reasons that can't be solved by money and that are completely beyond their control.  If you don't understand that you're either very fortunate, very unobservant, or stupid.She certainly has more problems than most, but Britney Spiers is among the best proof that money can't buy you happiness.

Maybe all of your problems come from not having enough money (but why don't you have enough, and why haven't you gotten off your butt to do something about it?), but most people have problems that can't be solved by money. Most of those problems are minor and don't cause much unhappiness, but some of those problems are significant, and nobody is immune. If it bothers you to see your wife work for a living how would you feel if she was in constant physical pain from an illness or accident? Suppose she couldn't work at all, and required constant care?  There are all sort of problems people deal with, and some are  completely beyond our control. Others are within our control, but take a great deal of effort to solve (again, Britney Spiers is probably a good example).

In the case of Spiers, a lot of money for a lot of therapy might lead to happiness, but that happiness would come from solving the underlying problems, not the money that pays for the therapy. The best that money can do is eliminate some unhappiness and offer some freedom.

Did you read anything I wrote?

"Britney Spiers is among the best proof that money can't buy you happiness"

I believe my statement was...

So, Unless your a disfunctional bag of $*** like Britney Spiers...Yes Money can solve all your problems.

If your a miserable person without money, where drama rules your life, then it will rule regardless of your bank account thats all I was saying!! 

you asked, "Maybe all of your problems come from not having enough money (but why don't you have enough, and why haven't you gotten off your butt to do something about it?"

yet, I work like a dog and the freakin man doesn't even bother to throw me a bone!

I don't have any credit card debt, and owe nothing but a morgage and a car note.

I would say working a job, and keeping control of my debt ratio is getting off my butt and doing something about it!!! In order for someone to accomplish this, you have to work at it everyday for a very long time!

expecially if you have been through a financial hardship caused be a divorce, or having to take in a family member... 

you asked, "If it bothers you to see your wife work for a living how would you feel if she was in constant physical pain from an illness or accident?"

I believe I said, "I am tired of my wife having to work for a living and seeing the tears drop from her eyes because of the pain that she is in from working all day on her feet."

btw, she was in an accident...and was out of work for awhile. but I shouldn't of had to add that for you to get the picture.

"If you don't understand that you're either very fortunate, very unobservant, or stupid"

yes, I understand I am fortunate,

I appreciate the gifts and blessings in my life.

But, I'm not so niave and unobservant to the point that I don't realize that things could be better, and that there is another life out there that is much better. If I was, my plot in life wouldn't bother at all.

as far as stupidy goes, a smart thing to do from here on out would be...

pay a little more attention to what your reading, get the facts in order, ducks in a row, and think before you typed a response. expecially if it was a hostile one. 

I am, contrary to your opinion...entitled to my own view of my life.

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"