Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 2:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Rule #1 For Winners

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 9 years ago by mylollipop.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: February 18, 2008, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

The UK and Australian state lotteries allow winners to remain anonymous. American state lotteries should also allow winners the same right. At the very least, many family members and friends request "help", and it's hard to refuse without causing offence. It can also attract the attention of less savoury types. It is very unusual for Australian winners to go public.

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: February 18, 2008, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

Good day mate. I agree with you. As soon as you can convince the American lottery officials of rule number one, please let us know you've acheived your goal.

I liken this whole thing with traffic lights here in Florida. They won't put one up until someone gets hurt or killed unfortunately. Let's hope for our sake, it never has to go that far for the Americans to implement being anonymous, even though there have been foul play here, but i guess not enough to warrant it. Too bad.

Also, you have the benefit of taxes not being witheld. Best of both worlds...lol

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
      Member #4877
      May 30, 2004
      5142 Posts
      Posted: February 18, 2008, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

The UK and Australian state lotteries allow winners to remain anonymous. American state lotteries should also allow winners the same right. At the very least, many family members and friends request "help", and it's hard to refuse without causing offence. It can also attract the attention of less savoury types. It is very unusual for Australian winners to go public.

HAVE noo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FEAR$$$$$$$$$$$

comrad....(note: comrad is a CODE word)>>>>?????????????????

pur>>>>>Todd is "D' benjian franklin of >>>> (the WORLD)666

Note:

post win'n #'s

or please shut-up (welcome all people from around "D" WORLD)

LOL

PSYKOMO 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10388 Posts
        Posted: February 19, 2008, 1:42 am - IP Logged

myturn

The more I learn about the Australian lottery the more I think it should be the model lottery for all others.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: February 19, 2008, 2:27 am - IP Logged

myturn

The more I learn about the Australian lottery the more I think it should be the model lottery for all others.  

Funny that the U.S. seems to have so many kangaroo courts.

Wink

Regarding anonymity, it's been brought up many times in FL and they always release the name of the winner, his/her age and city of residence.  The Lottery believes that it is the public's right to know. 

FL Lottery Results = Public     FL Election Process    What?

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
            Member #4121
            March 23, 2004
            817 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2008, 8:23 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

I live in NY, they do not allow winners to be anonymous when claiming a jackpot.  Oh well, no biggy since I will be moving after claiming the jackpot.

Omniscient's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
              Florida
              United States
              Member #46570
              September 14, 2006
              558 Posts
              Posted: February 19, 2008, 8:37 am - IP Logged

Funny that the U.S. seems to have so many kangaroo courts.

Wink

Regarding anonymity, it's been brought up many times in FL and they always release the name of the winner, his/her age and city of residence.  The Lottery believes that it is the public's right to know. 

FL Lottery Results = Public     FL Election Process    What?

That's why before you even go to the lottery to claim your jackpot, you need to stop and get a lawyer and CPA first and create a blind trust to claim the prize on your behalf. Your lawyer goes to the lottery and under the blind trust, he collects the money for you and you remain anonymous through the whole process. If you don't do this, you are going to go on a rollercoaster ride with privacy and stress issues. Can NOT, must NOT.. let that happen.

See full size image                                               

Don't Play more, Play Smarter!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                Gurnee, Illinois
                United States
                Member #49731
                February 12, 2007
                919 Posts
                Posted: February 19, 2008, 9:28 am - IP Logged

That's why before you even go to the lottery to claim your jackpot, you need to stop and get a lawyer and CPA first and create a blind trust to claim the prize on your behalf. Your lawyer goes to the lottery and under the blind trust, he collects the money for you and you remain anonymous through the whole process. If you don't do this, you are going to go on a rollercoaster ride with privacy and stress issues. Can NOT, must NOT.. let that happen.

Well since I happen to be a financial services representative, I would do it this way if I were to win a nice jackpot lottery prize:

1) Rent a PO box at the post office;

2) Establish a trust (with wording that does not reveal my last name) through my legal team

3) Once trust is established, go to lottery headquarters to represent my "client" as the financial representative.

4) "Client" (me) will provide a written statement that again will not reveal my identity.

This will allow me to conduct the required publicity while at the same time remaining anonymous as I will not speak as though I was the winner.  If anyone points out that one of the beneficiaries happens to be me, all I need to say is I am a close friend of the trust family.  End of story.  But I would ask them to not reveal the names of the beneficiaries, so hopefully that would be a non-issue.

As for my post claim life, since I represent big money from time to time, my income goes up and down all the time, so I would be able to mask this win from the people I know for a long time (that's a clue for all you salaried folks).

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10388 Posts
                  Posted: February 19, 2008, 9:41 am - IP Logged

Aren't blind trusts still public record, in the sense that anyone can look up the trust and find out who the person or persons are that formed it?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                    Member #4121
                    March 23, 2004
                    817 Posts
                    Posted: February 19, 2008, 10:06 am - IP Logged

They will find you. The best thing is to move a gated community or a 1 first class condo.  Be a small fish in a large pond, so that you would not stand out.  Stay next to the rich and famous.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #56506
                      November 21, 2007
                      6537 Posts
                      Posted: February 19, 2008, 11:06 am - IP Logged

I would love for more states to allow anonyomity, but they don't want that. Like justxploring said, they want to prove that the lottery is legit and people really win. 

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Bondi Junction
                        Australia
                        Member #57242
                        December 24, 2007
                        1102 Posts
                        Posted: February 27, 2008, 3:34 am - IP Logged

A Rockhampton great-grandfather woke up to the news that he has won over $15 million in Powerball. The man, in his seventies, was unaware of his win until he was called by the Queensland state lottery, he wishes to remain anonymous. When asked what he’ll do with his massive windfall, the man said he was unsure. He said he had wanted to have a holiday in England for some time and would plan to do so.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                          Member #5344
                          June 30, 2004
                          23641 Posts
                          Posted: February 27, 2008, 11:33 am - IP Logged

Those in my circle that need help receive it now.. So it wouldn't make a difference if I won the pot now.  I wouldn't change the method of help.

I would continue to help with light bills, groceries, and mortgage loans as I do now.

That is what family and friends are for.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

gonnawinwatchme's avatar - images
                            Wisconsin
                            United States
                            Member #58835
                            February 27, 2008
                            148 Posts
                            Posted: February 27, 2008, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

When I win, I definitely plan on trying to remain anonymous for the sake of my kids...BUT, I have to say, that my name and my husband's name, including our last name, is SOOO common (like Smith or Johnson) that I know there are thousands of us in our state alone, so if our name DOES get released, I won't worry too much. 

Bondi Junction
                              Australia
                              Member #57242
                              December 24, 2007
                              1102 Posts
                              Posted: February 29, 2008, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

Four Lotto players will be living a Lotto life after sharing the First Division prize of $1.5 million in Wednesday night’s jackpot draw. Three NSW players picked up $375,000 each with winning tickets purchased in Orange, Ettalong Beach and East Maitland.

The Orange winner was a registered player, so lotteries officials were able to call her with the good news. The Orange winner is a local woman who wishes to remain anonymous.

“Oh my God, wonderful, thank you, thank you so very much,” she said.

“I’m shaking, it’s just too exciting to even begin to think about what I’ll do with the money, I’ll definitely use some to help my family,” the woman added.