Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Rule #1 For Winners

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 9 years ago by mylollipop.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: February 29, 2008, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

What happens in Canada, do they follow the British model and allow winners to remain anonymous?

Or, do the insist that winners be paraded in front of the media like performing monkers?

Baton Rouge, LA
    United States
    Member #4602
    May 7, 2004
    699 Posts
    Posted: March 2, 2008, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

myturn

The more I learn about the Australian lottery the more I think it should be the model lottery for all others.  

Interesting point of view.  I had an Australian pen pal many years ago and he once sent me information about their lottery.  I thought The Pools game they had sounded like something that would do well here.  The numbers were somehow determined based on the results of Australian football games.  That would probably be a hit in the U.S.

I think the lack of anonymity in U.S. lotteries is because people want to know if someone actually won.  If anonymity were allowed here, they could say someone won but in reality, people at the top could be hiding the money is offshore bank accounts or something like that.  That is why I think it would be hard to get the laws changed in the U.S. to allow anonymity in claiming lottery prizes.  I guess what it comes down to is people in the U.S. don't have complete trust in their government to do the right thing.

If I did win, I'd use a corporation or a trust to claim the prize, keeping my name out of public record as much as possible.  Some states don't even allow that, but luckily mine does.  These methods don't guarantee anonymity, but they do make it harder for someone to find you.  How anonymous you think you need to be depends on who you think is looking for you and what resources do they have to find you.

Alot of people will just look in the newspaper or on the WWW to find who the winners are, while others may go to more elaborate lengths.  Using methods like trusts, etc., will help avoid those who use the obvious methods to find someone, while the more sophisticated with time and money to put into the effort may not be thwarted.

Something to think about.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
      Member #24380
      October 21, 2005
      623 Posts
      Posted: March 14, 2008, 1:20 am - IP Logged

Well since I happen to be a financial services representative, I would do it this way if I were to win a nice jackpot lottery prize:

1) Rent a PO box at the post office;

2) Establish a trust (with wording that does not reveal my last name) through my legal team

3) Once trust is established, go to lottery headquarters to represent my "client" as the financial representative.

4) "Client" (me) will provide a written statement that again will not reveal my identity.

This will allow me to conduct the required publicity while at the same time remaining anonymous as I will not speak as though I was the winner.  If anyone points out that one of the beneficiaries happens to be me, all I need to say is I am a close friend of the trust family.  End of story.  But I would ask them to not reveal the names of the beneficiaries, so hopefully that would be a non-issue.

As for my post claim life, since I represent big money from time to time, my income goes up and down all the time, so I would be able to mask this win from the people I know for a long time (that's a clue for all you salaried folks).

In a state like Florida, can even a Blind Trust claim a jackpot?  How would one meet the age requirement?  Okay, just spell it out to me.  What would you say.  I need to know.  I have a feeling I might need to know someday very soon!  LOL.  But do please spell out what you would say.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
        Member #24380
        October 21, 2005
        623 Posts
        Posted: March 14, 2008, 1:44 am - IP Logged

I would love for more states to allow anonyomity, but they don't want that. Like justxploring said, they want to prove that the lottery is legit and people really win. 

The first winner(s) of the new option on the Florida Lotto will definitely get the publicity!  It will boost the new game options for sure.  Speaking of anonymity, maybe states that do not allow can modify their stance.  They can validate the state's need to make sure the person is legit by verifying the data needed and keep that information confidential.  Just the fact that a verifying sysyem validated the winner should be enough.  Completing an I-9 for work establishes that you are eligible to work in the USA.  THe employer has the informaion and does not need to make it public (except to the government/IRS).  Same kinda system for the Lotto; verify that thr person is legit or eligible for the prizes as I used to hear on game shows (By the way, I do not know what eligibility criteria was used for game show prizes, but the game shows did announce that contestants were/were not verified eligible for game prizes.  ANyone know about this?

I saw in another post where someone mention that something drastic might have to happen before states banning annonymity will ease up.  The Louisiana Lottery used to have a jackpot starting much higher than it does now.  But someone sued them because they assumed/misunderstood something about the jackpot.  They won and the end result was the Louisiana Lotto Jackpot no longer starts as a base minimum of $3,000,000.00.  I think it is something like starting at $250,000.00 or $500,000.00.

Afterall, income from the lottery is reported to the IRS.  And the SS#, age, DOB, etc is IRS knowledge.  Does it have to be PUBLIC knowledge!???