Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 8:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

5 + 0 out of 5 + 1

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 9 years ago by sweetbitterkiss.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Does hitting 5 + 0 make people crazy?

It would make me crazy! [ 5 ]  [8.77%]
Oh, so close! It's have to get to you! [ 5 ]  [8.77%]
The number you miss haunts you forever [ 7 ]  [12.28%]
Nice to have $200/ $250 thousand, BUT... [ 22 ]  [38.60%]
I hit 5 + 0 and now, this rubber room.... [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Just ask Alice... [ 5 ]  [8.77%]
Let me try! [ 5 ]  [8.77%]
Other, explain please [ 8 ]  [14.04%]
Total Valid Votes [ 57 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10353 Posts
Posted: February 20, 2008, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

What do you say? Would hitting 5 + 0, coming that close, eventually drive you crazy?

Sure, nice to have $200,000 and maybe a multiplier or $250,000 but that has to be nothing like making a score in the millions or tens or hundreds of millions?

Would the number you missed haunt you? And what if you missed it by one digit? (Granted, in this case a miss is a miss!)

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
    Member #50124
    February 26, 2007
    601 Posts
    Posted: February 20, 2008, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

Under my current method of play, a 5+0 would get me $400K or $280K after taxes.  Yeah, I'd be a little bit down about missing out on millions.  But $400K is enough to allow me to move which would do wonders for my mental health, and would make me very happy.  So yeah I'd have regrets, but it wouldn't make me angry or depressed or crazy.  And I'd still play the lottery hoping to hit again.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      CA
      United States
      Member #57222
      December 23, 2007
      587 Posts
      Posted: February 20, 2008, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

What do you say? Would hitting 5 + 0, coming that close, eventually drive you crazy?

Sure, nice to have $200,000 and maybe a multiplier or $250,000 but that has to be nothing like making a score in the millions or tens or hundreds of millions?

Would the number you missed haunt you? And what if you missed it by one digit? (Granted, in this case a miss is a miss!)

I actually had to check "other". Since I play the California Super Lotto, getting 5+0 gets you nowhere near  $200,000  Or even $100,000.  I think that's unfair.   For instance  the JP is currently $80,000,000 but getting 5 numbers will only get you $18,000!  So  my missing out on that small amt wouldnt kill me.  But  I would probably rework  my numbers  knowing that chances are, it would be a lifetime when those numbers would come back around again with only the MEGA different.  But I guess I would be happy with ANY kind of win.  Today  I played a single   $5 scratcher (for the California Millionaire game).  Since I never win anything I was jumping and dancing in the store after winning $100,  I bought  10 more of the same since I couldn't otherwise  buy $50 worth of scratch offs and won another $65.  I was beside myself. 

I know it would be better for me to play the Mega Millions but 171,000,000 to 1  odds is much too much for me.  41000000 to 1 is bad enough.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: February 20, 2008, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

Nope, it wouldn't drive me crazy. Of course I would love to get all the numbers and would be upset that I missed the jackpot, but winning a second prize would be a blessing for me. 

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

colthmn's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg
          Inglewood
          United States
          Member #41769
          June 22, 2006
          122 Posts
          Posted: February 20, 2008, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

Nope, it wouldn't bother me either, because I intend to continue playing anyway. If I hit 5 #'s on Superlotto, that might bother me cause it's always so low.  I play much less on super than on Mega, but a win on either game would give me a buffer. That's why I continually enrich myself with the winner's stories on this site and others, people do hit multiple times. In fact I think I'll win something soon!!

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
            Member #4121
            March 23, 2004
            817 Posts
            Posted: February 20, 2008, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

I voted It would make me crazy!

United States
              Member #1826
              July 11, 2003
              2645 Posts
              Posted: February 21, 2008, 12:15 am - IP Logged

When you look at the odds, hitting 5 of the white balls but not the bonus isn't really that close to hitting the jackpot. I'd be be jumping off of walls if I won $200,000 or $250,000. I could do a lot of great suff with that.

(insert signature here)

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: February 21, 2008, 3:27 am - IP Logged

All I aim for is the 5+0.

To 'expect' to hit a 5+1 is a bit more unrealistic, but I would obviously take it if I got it.

I got four 3-0's last night - with all five WB's. 

9-12-36 twice, and 20-22-36 twice. 

benmas's avatar - waveform
                  Rhode Island
                  United States
                  Member #56010
                  October 28, 2007
                  434 Posts
                  Posted: February 21, 2008, 4:04 am - IP Logged

All I aim for is the 5+0.

To 'expect' to hit a 5+1 is a bit more unrealistic, but I would obviously take it if I got it.

I got four 3-0's last night - with all five WB's. 

9-12-36 twice, and 20-22-36 twice. 

guesser you should buy the POWER PLAY if you can guess 3 most of the time and since you are realistically aiming for 5+0 thats where the powerplay is really worth it...too bad that the MEGA doesnt have the powerplay option (except for Texas)

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                    West Side of Sunny Florida
                    United States
                    Member #55048
                    September 8, 2007
                    3371 Posts
                    Posted: February 21, 2008, 5:51 am - IP Logged

I will ALWAYS take winnings.  If I can only hit wb's that is enough.  On the NY Take 5 I hit 4 of 5 for $400, and missed the 5th # (I had # 25 and # 24 came OUT!!!) I missed out on $30k

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                      Member #91
                      January 19, 2002
                      11932 Posts
                      Posted: February 21, 2008, 7:01 am - IP Logged

It wouldn't make me as crazy as a 4+1 for $10,000 would.....

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: February 21, 2008, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

This story isn't quite comparable to the subject here but just as aggravating.

My roomate in N.Y. told me this about 11 years ago. He said that he had a friend who was playing the NY lotto, and that one of his lines were just one number off on all of the six winning numbers.

So if the first number was 5, he had 6. The second was 12, he had 13...all the way to the last winning number...

That would definitely be outrageous.

Jake's avatar - animal bird.jpg

United States
                          Member #2217
                          September 1, 2003
                          985 Posts
                          Posted: February 21, 2008, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

I can only think of a response in this way: I hit 5 of 6 in Delaware's original lotto game 3 times (once wheeling and twice QPs), missing the biggest pot of 1+ million and 2 slightly lesser pots.

Given that experience, I would welcome any other 5 + 0 hit on any other game, especially PB since I always PowerPlay.

And how did 5 of 6 more than once make me feel?  I try not to think about it other than giving thanks for the hit.  I don't play DE Lotto games anymore except once in a Blue Moon. 

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
                            San Jose, California
                            United States
                            Member #42003
                            June 26, 2006
                            206 Posts
                            Posted: February 21, 2008, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

I only have to accetp the winning. I can't change.

Besides, it's nice to have some extra money to pay for my tuition.

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
                              N.C.
                              United States
                              Member #56005
                              October 28, 2007
                              832 Posts
                              Posted: February 21, 2008, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

whether or not, I would be upset by hitting 5 numbers instead of 6, depends on my own personal actions.

If I had the missing number, meant to play it and didn't. or took a winning number out of my wheel and substituted it for a losing number. changed the number on a slip while filling out the wheel, or didn't play my numbers when I had an opportunity to do so...yes, it would haunt me...

but if I played the numbers and I didn't do anything stupid...no it wouldn't bother me at all. I would be happy with the win.

I have been in that situation before, yes it still bothered me at the time. my case is that I lived in a state that didn't have a lottery. I used to go up to Va to play the Megamillions on weekends. it was on a Tuesday night, I had a strong feeling that if I didn't play those numbers that I was going to puke the next day.

well I had 4+the bonus, with intentions of running the other number in a 5/5 wheel. but because I live 4 hours from the VA border and had to work the next day, I couldn't play.

my numbers came in, and I was depressed for a week.

I still remember those exact numbers that hit 6 years ago!

I look forward to the day, when I can finally get that monkey off my back!

just my input....

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"