Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

National lottery with one stipulation

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 9 years ago by rubberbandman.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Question below

Yes [ 4 ]  [10.00%]
No [ 15 ]  [37.50%]
Maybe [ 2 ]  [5.00%]
This poll is just plain stupid [ 19 ]  [47.50%]
Not sure [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
other [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: February 29, 2008, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

If we suddenly had a national lottery, which had atleast 300 million JP everytime, but one stipulation was that you had to donate one of your hands to someone who needed one, if you hit the JP only, and was the sole winner, would you still play?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10353 Posts
    Posted: February 29, 2008, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

I voted no.

Sounds like something out of The Book of Questions! (great book by the way).  

Back in the days of video arcades we used to joke that if someone invented a game called "You Bet Your Arse" and when you lost you third guy the game literally ZAPPED you (electrocuted), there would be those that would play it!

And that's not even hitting a jackpot, that's just for a thrill! 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: February 29, 2008, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

I voted no.

Sounds like something out of The Book of Questions! (great book by the way).  

Back in the days of video arcades we used to joke that if someone invented a game called "You Bet Your Arse" and when you lost you third guy the game literally ZAPPED you (electrocuted), there would be those that would play it!

And that's not even hitting a jackpot, that's just for a thrill! 

Shame on you coin toss...Are you telling me you wouldn't sacrafice a hand knowing the desparation here on the Lp?

LOL....Smash

United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10353 Posts
        Posted: February 29, 2008, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

Shame on you coin toss...Are you telling me you wouldn't sacrafice a hand knowing the desparation here on the Lp?

LOL....Smash

Pac, this isn't going to lead up to that "I'll keep an eye out for you" joke, is it?

Hiding Behind Computer

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: February 29, 2008, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

Pac, this isn't going to lead up to that "I'll keep an eye out for you" joke, is it?

Hiding Behind Computer

NO...I'm posing a real question. I wanna know how far someone would really go.

NASHVILLE, TENN
            United States
            Member #33372
            February 20, 2006
            1044 Posts
            Posted: February 29, 2008, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

If we suddenly had a national lottery, which had atleast 300 million JP everytime, but one stipulation was that you had to donate one of your hands to someone who needed one, if you hit the JP only, and was the sole winner, would you still play?

Why would I want to win  millions if I couldn't use both hands to spend it?

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: February 29, 2008, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Why would I want to win  millions if I couldn't use both hands to spend it?

If you read my thread, I said one hand....your choice.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: February 29, 2008, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

What are the lower tier prizes? Jester

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                  Portland,Oregon
                  United States
                  Member #14387
                  April 25, 2005
                  229 Posts
                  Posted: February 29, 2008, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

I voted no - but I'd be willing to use part of the JP to buy some one a bionic hand :)   I'm going to need both of mine after winning to count $$$$, clip coupons,  and make the most of life

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

NASHVILLE, TENN
                    United States
                    Member #33372
                    February 20, 2006
                    1044 Posts
                    Posted: March 1, 2008, 6:03 am - IP Logged

I did read your thread.  In fact, I included it in my reply.  If winning the jackpot meant giving up one hand, that means I would only have one hand remaining to spend the money.

I would need BOTH hands to spend the money.  A beer in my right hand and dollar bills in my left hand.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: March 1, 2008, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

How about this ?

An old Twilight Zone episode:

I will give you a box with a button on it, and if you push that button, I will give you a million dollars.

But, if you push that button, someone will die, you will have killed someone.

It could be anyone, a murderer on death row, a poor starving kid in Africa, a Nobel laureate, one of your relatives, a neighbor, someone's mother or father, your best friend, maybe even you. It could be ANYONE.

Would you push that button ? 

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10353 Posts
                        Posted: March 1, 2008, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

Guesser,

I forget how that one ended but I'm sure iit was a typical Serling ironic ending.

The same question was posed in the Book of Questions- and every so many questions there would be one with an astrerisk - which meant no matter which way you answered there were consequences to your answer in the back of the book. In this case, such as you push the button and kill the man or woman who would have cured a disease that is going to do you in some time in the future.

Pac

Let's say someone agrees to give up a hand, gets the $300,000,000 - then later on loses the other hand. Now what? Who here would rather have $300,000,000 and no hands at all?

I doubt anyone.

Lep

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: March 1, 2008, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

What are the lower tier prizes? Jester

I've got to give you a hand for this one, time*treat. Razz

There's a very old story called The Monkey's Paw.  It grants wishes, but there are consequences. 

I just found it on the internet.  It was written in 1902!  I saw a play on TV many years ago when I was a child and it must have made a big impression on me.  Here is the short story in case you haven't read it.  http://gaslight.mtroyal.ca/mnkyspaw.htm

I love the classics like The Picture of Dorian Gray, also about making a deal with the Devil, written in 1891. 

Wanting money, power, youth & beauty isn't anything new.

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
                            N.C.
                            United States
                            Member #56005
                            October 28, 2007
                            834 Posts
                            Posted: March 1, 2008, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

Guesser,

I forget how that one ended but I'm sure iit was a typical Serling ironic ending.

The same question was posed in the Book of Questions- and every so many questions there would be one with an astrerisk - which meant no matter which way you answered there were consequences to your answer in the back of the book. In this case, such as you push the button and kill the man or woman who would have cured a disease that is going to do you in some time in the future.

Pac

Let's say someone agrees to give up a hand, gets the $300,000,000 - then later on loses the other hand. Now what? Who here would rather have $300,000,000 and no hands at all?

I doubt anyone.

I'd play...

hell for 300 million I wouldn't need my hand!!

ROTFLMAO

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: March 1, 2008, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

I know this poll was for fun...kinda sick, but fun nonetheless.  However, there was a nice family living in back of my parents when I was growing up for whom I babysat once in a while. The woman became my friend and one day she had an emergency. She fell asleep with a heating pad and didn't realize she had caught on fire.  Very long story...but eventually she found out she had a brain tumor, and when it was removed she was paralyzed from the waist up.  I remember when she said that at least she could use her legs, which she felt was a blessing.  I think she died of depression, not illness. Over time she became very frustrated because she had to ask someone to help her in the bathroom. You can't use bathroom tissue or even blow your nose without the use of your arms.  One day I was visting her and she asked me to light a cigarette for her. I held it while she took several drags. Then she asked me to scratch her nose.  So if you think losing the use of your arms or hands is worth $300 million, think again.