Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

List of States Which Allow Anonymous Winners

Topic closed. 49 replies. Last post 9 years ago by river1.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
Member #50124
February 26, 2007
601 Posts
Posted: March 7, 2008, 11:35 am - IP Logged

The New Mexico reasoning of not being able to check the winner's name against monies owed is weak.  Indiana requires that a real person give their name and SSN to the lottery commission for that very reason.

Lilly,

I'm kind of new around here, but, if I were an Indiana winner, I'd want to know who said that a trust can't claim a prize, and whether or not the rule has been challenged. Corporations are considered "real persons" under the law; perhaps trusts are, too. Anyway, I wouldn't accept such a rule on its face, much less the say-so of a lottery commissionaire.

Well, true.  But for me the Indiana procedure is completely copacetic, and I'd accept it without question since my main goal is to remain anon which their rules provide for.  Guess I wouldn't be happy if I owed child support I didn't want to pay. 

Fayetteville, Arkansas
    United States
    Member #58962
    March 2, 2008
    29 Posts
    Posted: March 7, 2008, 11:43 am - IP Logged

Well, true.  But for me the Indiana procedure is completely copacetic, and I'd accept it without question since my main goal is to remain anon which their rules provide for.  Guess I wouldn't be happy if I owed child support I didn't want to pay. 

I don't know what "PRA requests" includes, and so that is one concern of mine. Another is the fact that there is confidentialty and there is confidentiality. To put it another way, some lottery commissions consider your information confidential unless someone asks (because of the value to the state of public disclosure). That kind of confidentiality I can live without. It's unclear to me exactly what's going on in Indiana.

Caveat victor: Let the winner beware

The balls have no memory.

United States
      Member #50124
      February 26, 2007
      601 Posts
      Posted: March 7, 2008, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

Indiana LC said the paperwork will identify the trust only.  A smart winner would have an attorney confirm that and make sure it's in writing, but it sounds like they are committed to keeping winners anon if they wish to be.

As for New Mexico, they sound like such hard asses, if I lived there I think I'd be traveling to AZ or CO for Powerball, or Texas for MegaMillions.  I wouldn't even want to try to deal with NM.  Let the surrounding states get my money for their schools. 

United States
        Member #50124
        February 26, 2007
        601 Posts
        Posted: March 7, 2008, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

myturn, you're making me want to become an ex-pat.  G'day mate!  How am I doing so far?  Big Smile

Is there serious speculation in NZ and Australia about whether or not real people win?  Because that seems to be the prevailing excuse here when lottery commissions are asked about remaining anon. 

United States
          Member #50124
          February 26, 2007
          601 Posts
          Posted: March 7, 2008, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

Washington - No (email)

Thank you for your inquiry to Washington ’s Lottery.  We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information we hope you will find useful.

State law provides the Lottery to publish the name, city of residence and prize of Lottery winners.  Winners can claim through creating a trust, but the documents of the trust, which must contain the natural persons behind the trust, are public records.  The media are well aware of this fact.  In other words, there are no absolutes.

Some people inquire about remaining anonymous because they are under the common misperception that Lottery winners claiming a large prize are subject to safety concerns or harassed for donations.  I am very happy to tell you that is not the case in Washington .  Our largest Lottery winners have experienced no problems whatsoever and live life as before, with the exception of a different bank account balance. 

I hope that helps to answer your question.   Thank you for your interest in Washington’s Lottery.

Jacque Coe, APR

Communications Director

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Posted: March 7, 2008, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

"Winners can claim through creating a trust, but the documents of the trust, which must contain the natural persons behind the trust, are public records.  The media are well aware of this fact."

That's the best answer you're reported. Since any legal entity can own property, any legal entity can own a lottery ticket. Most lotteries should be willing to pay that entity, but if there is a law or rule that requires that prizes be paid to individuals then that's what the lottery will do. If the records of any entity are public then the public obviously has a right to those records. Regardless of how cooperative the lottery is, if you claim through an entity in which your name is available to the public then the public may find out who the real winner is.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
              United States
              Member #58962
              March 2, 2008
              29 Posts
              Posted: March 7, 2008, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

I don't want to run this into the ground, so this will be my last comment on this subject.

As I said previously: Just because the Lottery Commission says something, that "don't make it so." You need a lawyer, and a darn good one -- not just because, until you get your own legal expert's opinion, the law is always in doubt -- even if it's against you in bold black letters -- but because the Lottery Commission is not your ally in this matter. At best, it's neutral, and frequently it's your adversary. Despite the smiles and handshakes, this is a business for them. Don't ever forget it.

Caveat victor: Let the winner beware

The balls have no memory.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: March 7, 2008, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

Washington - No (email)

Thank you for your inquiry to Washington ’s Lottery.  We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information we hope you will find useful.

State law provides the Lottery to publish the name, city of residence and prize of Lottery winners.  Winners can claim through creating a trust, but the documents of the trust, which must contain the natural persons behind the trust, are public records.  The media are well aware of this fact.  In other words, there are no absolutes.

Some people inquire about remaining anonymous because they are under the common misperception that Lottery winners claiming a large prize are subject to safety concerns or harassed for donations.  I am very happy to tell you that is not the case in Washington .  Our largest Lottery winners have experienced no problems whatsoever and live life as before, with the exception of a different bank account balance. 

I hope that helps to answer your question.   Thank you for your interest in Washington’s Lottery.

Jacque Coe, APR

Communications Director

That is actually not correct. They have had anonymous winners before. Years ago (early 90's) a family set up a trust to claim the ticket. They had so many people in the picture you couldn't tell who the hell won. You could also set up a corporation as a trustee as well. It's far better than Oregon. As with any state if you really want to be anonymous you had better get an attorney before you claim the prize.

Baton Rouge, LA
                  United States
                  Member #4602
                  May 7, 2004
                  699 Posts
                  Posted: March 8, 2008, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

In Louisiana, winners cannot claim anonymously but they are allowed to claim using a trust or corporation.  The lottery publishes the name of the trust or corporation that collects the prize.

However, when a trust claimed a prize sometime back, the local paper somehow got the name of the winner.  I don't know if they got it through her attorney, the lottery, or where, but they got the name and she consented to an interview.

Anonymity isn't easy to get in the U.S. these days.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Bondi Junction
                    Australia
                    Member #57242
                    December 24, 2007
                    1102 Posts
                    Posted: March 9, 2008, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

myturn, you're making me want to become an ex-pat.  G'day mate!  How am I doing so far?  Big Smile

Is there serious speculation in NZ and Australia about whether or not real people win?  Because that seems to be the prevailing excuse here when lottery commissions are asked about remaining anon. 

No LuckyLilly, here state lotteries have a good repudiation so there is no speculation. There are lots of checks and balances, the draws are not run by a few blokes in a back room. Also, Australia doesn't seen to have, unlike America, so many conspiracy theorists; no offence to my Yankee friends. I think most Australians take the view, 'If I won, I wouldn't want the whole country knowing'.

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
                      Pittsburg, Ks
                      United States
                      Member #3382
                      January 17, 2004
                      80885 Posts
                      Posted: March 10, 2008, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

I wrote the Ks Lottery and this is what they said:

In order for us to use your name, you must sign a Public Disclosure Authorization form.  If you choose not to sign the form then you will remain anonymous.  If you have further questions, please let us know.  Thank you.

Karie R. Lowe

Customer Liaison

Kansas Lottery

United States
                        Member #50124
                        February 26, 2007
                        601 Posts
                        Posted: March 10, 2008, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

I wrote the Ks Lottery and this is what they said:

In order for us to use your name, you must sign a Public Disclosure Authorization form.  If you choose not to sign the form then you will remain anonymous.  If you have further questions, please let us know.  Thank you.

Karie R. Lowe

Customer Liaison

Kansas Lottery

Another anon Powerball state!  Cool!  Thanks, Wheeler.

Does KS have the Sizzler on Hot Lotto?  Do you play it? 

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
                          Pittsburg, Ks
                          United States
                          Member #3382
                          January 17, 2004
                          80885 Posts
                          Posted: March 12, 2008, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Another anon Powerball state!  Cool!  Thanks, Wheeler.

Does KS have the Sizzler on Hot Lotto?  Do you play it? 

Yes  Kansas' Hot Lotto has the sizzler. I haven't played Hot Lotto for a long time but did play a few times when it came to Kansas Didn't win anything

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10351 Posts
                            Posted: March 20, 2008, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

Not sure if this covers Illinois or Georgia, but on WGN-TV (Chicago) news last night they showed winners from December just showing up now to claim their jackpot.

The cjeck was made out to a trust "JVS" family or something or other, and one woman, wearing large lensed sunglasses showed up to claim it, or she is one of the trust who accepted the check.

A spokeswoman for the lottery presented the check and kind of danced around who "JVS" was.  

On the news they explained that this was all ok according to the lottery rules. 

So I guess either Georgia or Illinois or perhaps Mega millions gets a yes on anonymous- with an asterisk, kind of.  It looked like shades or not, people who knew this woman would recognize her- if she is the actual or one of the actual winners.

Anyone else see this? There's nothing about it on the Illinois lottery website.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

JustFrozen's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg
                              OC, CALI
                              United States
                              Member #59564
                              March 19, 2008
                              76 Posts
                              Posted: March 21, 2008, 3:03 am - IP Logged

on Wednesday the CA lotto announced a 5# winner of the Feb 15 MM ($368,554) had finally stepped forward, but said this "While he understands the public’s curiosity about his story and is willing to share some details, he prefers to remain anonymous"