Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Giving away a winning ticket

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 9 years ago by JackpotWanna.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Would you consider giving a winning ticket as a tip or to a person down on luck?

No way-I won and I am keeping it [ 12 ]  [50.00%]
Yes [ 2 ]  [8.33%]
Yes but depends on the amount [ 10 ]  [41.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 24 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
Member #26882
November 23, 2005
1404 Posts
Posted: March 3, 2008, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

I asked this question because my husband and I were out of our town to a nearby town and I saw a man with a sign that said:

Father of 4 will work for Food.

Normally I can sense frauds, but this man I felt was genuine. As a matter of fact I know that there were a lot of people in that particular area we were in that have just lost jobs and could not get any work. I had a 50 dollar winning instant scratch ticket in the car and thought to give it to him, however it is hard to stop in that area and if you do the people behind you will push you with their car. As a matter of fact there are signs along the road we were traveling that says: Beware of aggressive Drivers!

If we could of stopped, I would given him the winning ticket so that he could cash it and buy food.

So the question is, would you consider giving a winning ticket to a person as described above, if you knew they were genuine? Or would you consider giving a winning ticket as a tip to someone?

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: March 3, 2008, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

Hell no ! Are you on drugs woman?....lol

Just joshin, in fact when I first joined the LP community a few years ago, I'ts been known by the ones who know me that I would probably go broke giving it all away because of the guilt that would drive me insane...lol

But that's just lil ol me...lol

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: March 3, 2008, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

Sorry, but no. I don't play so I can give a winning ticket to a stranger.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
        Member #26882
        November 23, 2005
        1404 Posts
        Posted: March 3, 2008, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

Hell no ! Are you on drugs woman?....lol

Just joshin, in fact when I first joined the LP community a few years ago, I'ts been known by the ones who know me that I would probably go broke giving it all away because of the guilt that would drive me insane...lol

But that's just lil ol me...lol

Big GrinHey Pac,

I ‘m not on drugs, unfortunately, but can you get me some? LOL .......Just kidding!

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8364 Posts
          Posted: March 3, 2008, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

I have given money to people who i knew were down on their luck but not just anybody we have people here who masquerade as homeless and such making $250.00 a day panhandling so i would be caucus as to who i gave my money too.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: March 3, 2008, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

Big GrinHey Pac,

I ‘m not on drugs, unfortunately, but can you get me some? LOL .......Just kidding!

I don't do drugs, and it was just a joke...you know?

Pot is evil.

Alchohol is legal.

Go figure.....

Yeah alchohol...yeah...! You've got a free [pass)..

Alchohol gets a free pass to the midnight ball.

United States
              Member #26882
              November 23, 2005
              1404 Posts
              Posted: March 4, 2008, 12:04 am - IP Logged

I don't do drugs, and it was just a joke...you know?

Pot is evil.

Alchohol is legal.

Go figure.....

Yeah alchohol...yeah...! You've got a free [pass)..

Alchohol gets a free pass to the midnight ball.

CheersHey Pac, I'm a clairvoyant don't ya know I know you are joking? LOL

I love ya Man! Cant remember what brand, but that's a saying from a beer commercial! I think!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19831 Posts
                Posted: March 4, 2008, 12:06 am - IP Logged

Those types of signs don't mean much around my town since Wal-Mart, several retailers and a couple of quick-food stores have "Now Hiring" and "Help Wanted" signs posted.  People looking for work around here are expecting a lot more than food.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                  Member #13130
                  March 30, 2005
                  2171 Posts
                  Posted: March 4, 2008, 12:09 am - IP Logged

I asked this question because my husband and I were out of our town to a nearby town and I saw a man with a sign that said:

Father of 4 will work for Food.

Normally I can sense frauds, but this man I felt was genuine. As a matter of fact I know that there were a lot of people in that particular area we were in that have just lost jobs and could not get any work. I had a 50 dollar winning instant scratch ticket in the car and thought to give it to him, however it is hard to stop in that area and if you do the people behind you will push you with their car. As a matter of fact there are signs along the road we were traveling that says: Beware of aggressive Drivers!

If we could of stopped, I would given him the winning ticket so that he could cash it and buy food.

So the question is, would you consider giving a winning ticket to a person as described above, if you knew they were genuine? Or would you consider giving a winning ticket as a tip to someone?

Insurance rates must be outrageous, there.

I've given a winning scratch-off as a tip. I did a poll on this same question a while back.

From the replies that poll got, it seems people here who've waited tables prefer cash. 

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                  Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: March 4, 2008, 12:29 am - IP Logged

From the replies that poll got, it seems people here who've waited tables prefer cash. 

You actually needed a poll to realize people who wait on others work for tips? Cash every night like mine....lol

Trust me...we prefer cash....lol

Green city baby !

No coupons or checks allowed !

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: March 4, 2008, 1:49 am - IP Logged

You sound like a kind person, Clairvoyance.  It's heartbreaking when those people are standing on the street.  I would probably cash it and then give the money away.  A lot of people don't play the lottery and might not even believe it was real. 

Regarding the man with the sign, although there are a lot of scammers, chances are that the man was desperate and needed money to feed his kids.  I learned a long time ago that you can't go around telling people what to do with money.  You either trust that you are making a wise choice or you don't.  If your gut says the person is a fraud, then just pass by.  In your case, you needed the money and stopping your car wouldn't have been safe anyway, regardless of other traffic.  In FL a man stopped to pickup Aileen Warner because she looked cold & hungry and look what happened to him.  You don't know if a person stranded on the road has a partner hiding behind a tree or is carrying a gun or pepper spray.  Sad to say, since I used to stop and give someone I ride when I saw a breakdown on the road, but now I just call for help.

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3475 Posts
                        Posted: March 4, 2008, 2:08 am - IP Logged

If somebody wants to be paid with food, why would you give them cash? If you're foolish enough to just give something to somebody who is willing to work, maybe you should give them what they say they want.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                          PA
                          United States
                          Member #22983
                          October 6, 2005
                          2226 Posts
                          Posted: March 4, 2008, 3:21 am - IP Logged

Depends how much it is, but most likely no. Giving him a free hand out is not going to help him change his position, it will only further weaken him. I used to have nothing but I chose to work hard to get back to having things and achieve my own independence. If you can't support 4 kids don't have them. Plain and simple.

I had enough bad in life that I also do not intend to pay for other people's mistakes as well. Anyone with too soft of a heart better worry when winning the lottery, as they will go back to having nothing real quick. Your one little lotto win cannot change and save the world, but it may make things even worse for others you think you are helping. Until they keep coming back after you for money.

Give away a large jackpot ticket that I spent my whole life and hard earned money trying to win? Haha! Yeah.

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
                            mn
                            United States
                            Member #59040
                            March 4, 2008
                            276 Posts
                            Posted: March 4, 2008, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

It's a delicate situation, naturally it's a primal desire to care for ourselves, and it's a societal desire to "over-abundant" ourselves with care such as our needs and our wants. With this in mind one would really have to be a conscientious individual to do such a thing. In reality very few of us are and thats why we have particular self-abiding systems to engage us to do such "good and honourable" activities.

Me personally, I don't consider myself to have that degree of conscientiousness so i would have say that i wouldnt do such a thing 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                              Idaho
                              United States
                              Member #56506
                              November 21, 2007
                              6537 Posts
                              Posted: March 4, 2008, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

I have given out hand outs to those on the streets when they have asked for it, but I wouldn't just hand over a winning ticket. I also am not sure how much you are talking about. Are you talking about a Pick 3 win or a Jackpot win? Because I don't think people are being honest if they are saying that they would hand over a winning jackpot ticket to a stranger who they know nothing about. 

Not that this really has to do with the conversation much, but one day I was vacumming my car at one of thse car washes, in kind of a iffy neighborhood and a homeless man came up to me and asked if I had any change for a cup of coffee. I gave him like 3 or 4 dollars in change (since I had some change for doing the car cleaning) and he thanked me profusely and walked off. A minute later, I looked over and he and a bunch of guys were looking at me and he was showing them the money I had given him. They then started heading towards me. There were like seven of them, along with the man I had already giving money too and the guy was pointing at me. I just knew he had told the other guys that I had given him money. I ended up taking off because I was scared and I didn't really have much money on me to just start handing out. I didn't mind helping the guy out, I do give change or food tickets when I can, but I thought it was rude to go to his friends and point me out. Plus like I said I was alone in a not so safe area. 

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."