Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

-Mediocrity Winners-

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 9 years ago by rubberbandman.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
mn
United States
Member #59040
March 4, 2008
276 Posts
Posted: March 5, 2008, 9:16 am - IP Logged

Most of you seem as if even if you won, your life wouldn't change much except for some immediate impulse buying. So if that is the case why do you even play the lottery? , you are just losing money, you could easily put your money into investments to gain the money you need to impulse buy. (I apologize for the MONEY repetition, just trying to stress a point.)

You would think that since you do play the lottery you would have grand aspirations to create vast amounts of wealth and power.

"Wealth last generations while rich is something you can lose with a crazy summer and a drug habit, hell Rick James was rich."

-Chris Rock-  Never Scared

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky—Try to take over the world."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10345 Posts
    Posted: March 5, 2008, 9:51 am - IP Logged

Reports have sais that the average American finishes they year $500 more in debt than they were at the start of they year (and that was a few years back, no telling now).

I don't think the average person is after power, just being financially comfortable, or very very comfortable, and not living paycheck to paycheck.

Hitting a jackpot would allow them to pay off debts and buy a few things they'd never be able to buy things they otherwise would never be able to (granted, some go berserk in this aspect).

Let the politicians go after power, I think the average working slob would just like to get out of the "trap" and live "heat, eat, and taxes" - House paid for, car paid for, no debt, and the only recurring bills are utilities, food, and taxes.

Interestig sidenote:

The most common time for heart attacks in the U.S. is during the Monday morning commute to work hours. It's been found that most people go to jobs they hate going back to and eventually their body says, "OK, I'll take care of that!"

As for this part of your post:

So if that is the case why do you even play the lottery? , you are just losing money, you could easily put your money into investments to gain the money you need to impulse buy.

Most people here probably play small amounts when all is said and done. The lotteries themselves track ticket sales and the average sale is $1. If you know a really, really neat way to invest $1 to $10 a week in some investment that would match a lottery hit you need to open your own investment firm.

A few dollars invested are not going to change someone's life. Hitting a jackpot will. That's what people are after, that's the allure - it really is the working slob's only hope. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
      Member #28409
      December 15, 2005
      1198 Posts
      Posted: March 5, 2008, 9:51 am - IP Logged

My life would change drastically!  I don't know about everyone else on here, but I plan on enjoying that money... 

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
        Harbinger
        D.C./MD.
        United States
        Member #44103
        July 30, 2006
        5583 Posts
        Posted: March 5, 2008, 10:14 am - IP Logged

"The most common time for heart attacks in the U.S. is during the Monday morning commute to work hours. It's been found that most people go to jobs they hate going back to and eventually their body says, "OK, I'll take care of that!".

That is interesting. 

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
          Washington State
          United States
          Member #33973
          February 26, 2006
          347 Posts
          Posted: March 5, 2008, 11:46 am - IP Logged

rubberbandman said:

You would think that since you do play the lottery you would have grand aspirations to create vast amounts of wealth and power.

Why?  Because you would have grand aspirations to create vast amounts of wealth and power?  Please don't project your own thinking onto others.  Not everyone looks at the world in the same way.

I'm guessing that you are quite young.  I've been retired many years.  The way I look at things is quite different than you do.  Vast amounts of wealth and power are not particularly meaningful.  Winning a large jackpot like $100 million, would change some surface things for me, but it wouldn't change the core of my being.  I'd buy a new vehicle instead of driving around in a 15-year-old one.  But to me a vehicle is just a means of transportation, not a status symbol, so I'd have no need for a luxury one.  I already have a home on a double lot with view property on water, but I'd be able to hire a regular gardener and housekeeper so I wouldn't have to move to a smaller place since it is getting difficult to care for this big one myself.  I'd be able to afford new home furnishings that I can't afford now, but that wouldn't change who I am.  I wouldn't travel much more.  I did a fair amount of world traveling in my younger days, and frankly I prefer the comforts of home at this stage of my life. 

So why should I bother to buy lottery tickets?  For myself - security.  I have blood relatives who have lived into their late 90s.  By conservative living, I'm holding my own with my investments so far, but if I should also live as long as my relatives, there is no telling what I might need to cover medical and other costs of living.  And just saving the $200 or so a year I spend on lottery tickets isn't likely to make much difference in the long run.  For others - I have a number of relatives who are disabled.  A lottery win would allow me to provide them with the means to live a more normal standard of living.  Again, splitting that $200 or so per year among them wouldn't provide them with any meaningful improvement in their living condition as it would with a major lottery win.  But living better wouldn't change who they are, only their comfort level.   And being power-hungry is not part of who they are.  Any amounts of income from a lottery win that my relatives and I didn't need to live a decent but not extravagent lifestyle could go to the charities I support but to which I can only give token amounts on my current income.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            CA
            United States
            Member #57222
            December 23, 2007
            587 Posts
            Posted: March 5, 2008, 11:55 am - IP Logged

Reports have sais that the average American finishes they year $500 more in debt than they were at the start of they year (and that was a few years back, no telling now).

I don't think the average person is after power, just being financially comfortable, or very very comfortable, and not living paycheck to paycheck.

Hitting a jackpot would allow them to pay off debts and buy a few things they'd never be able to buy things they otherwise would never be able to (granted, some go berserk in this aspect).

Let the politicians go after power, I think the average working slob would just like to get out of the "trap" and live "heat, eat, and taxes" - House paid for, car paid for, no debt, and the only recurring bills are utilities, food, and taxes.

Interestig sidenote:

The most common time for heart attacks in the U.S. is during the Monday morning commute to work hours. It's been found that most people go to jobs they hate going back to and eventually their body says, "OK, I'll take care of that!"

As for this part of your post:

So if that is the case why do you even play the lottery? , you are just losing money, you could easily put your money into investments to gain the money you need to impulse buy.

Most people here probably play small amounts when all is said and done. The lotteries themselves track ticket sales and the average sale is $1. If you know a really, really neat way to invest $1 to $10 a week in some investment that would match a lottery hit you need to open your own investment firm.

A few dollars invested are not going to change someone's life. Hitting a jackpot will. That's what people are after, that's the allure - it really is the working slob's only hope. 

Hey Coin

You took the words right out of my mouth.  Winning the lottery would  give me security when working is no longer an option.  The money I use for lottery now  would go to nothing that would impact my life,  maybe fast food or a dvd or something just as silly.  As they say,  all it takes is a dollar and a dream.

Sure I have a minor 401k like the rest of the world  but it's not enough to give me the security that a lottery winfall would.

I remember someone posting earlier ( sorry I don't remember who) that someone else may spend it on cigarettes or beer.  Since I don't do either,  I guess lottery is my vice.  I reduced my tickets amounts to $5 per draw because  my thoughts are if it is my destiny to win,  I will win with 1 ticket or 15 tickets.  I couldn't invest the amount of money it would take the change my life the way that the lottery could.  And as they say,  someone is going to win.  It might as well be me.   And if I never win (God forbid) well,  I can just say it was my one vice in life.  It won't give me liver or lung cancer, and the amount I play won't make me go broke.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              CA
              United States
              Member #57222
              December 23, 2007
              587 Posts
              Posted: March 5, 2008, 11:59 am - IP Logged

Hey Uff DA

AND TAKE THIS AS A COMPLIMENT

You're living MY dream retirement life already.  I congradulate you!Party

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: March 5, 2008, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

Uff Da!  I Agree! 

I recently said on a thread about cash vs annuity that I have no desire to turn my millions into billions if I ever win a jackpot. 

By the way, a former manager had a heart attack when we worked for a General Manager who was extremely difficult.  He had never suffered from a heart condition before, but one day was extremely bad, and the GM was screaming his head off at everyone, especially him.  The next morning, the store manager got out of bed and had a heart attack in the shower. 

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                  Member #4121
                  March 23, 2004
                  817 Posts
                  Posted: March 5, 2008, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

Uff Da!  I Agree! 

I recently said on a thread about cash vs annuity that I have no desire to turn my millions into billions if I ever win a jackpot. 

By the way, a former manager had a heart attack when we worked for a General Manager who was extremely difficult.  He had never suffered from a heart condition before, but one day was extremely bad, and the GM was screaming his head off at everyone, especially him.  The next morning, the store manager got out of bed and had a heart attack in the shower. 

Lots of people have a tough life.  Lottery gives us hope for a better life.  So I intend to spend it too.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #56506
                    November 21, 2007
                    6537 Posts
                    Posted: March 5, 2008, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

Most of you seem as if even if you won, your life wouldn't change much except for some immediate impulse buying. So if that is the case why do you even play the lottery? , you are just losing money, you could easily put your money into investments to gain the money you need to impulse buy. (I apologize for the MONEY repetition, just trying to stress a point.)

"Wealth last generations while rich is something you can lose with a crazy summer and a drug habit, hell Rick James was rich."

-Chris Rock-  Never Scared

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
                    "The same thing we do every night, Pinky—Try to take over the world."

I play for a chance at a better life. I don't have plans on trying to turn millions into more millions, I just want to retire and be able to allow certain members of my family to retire without having to worry about money troubles. 

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

mn
                      United States
                      Member #59040
                      March 4, 2008
                      276 Posts
                      Posted: March 5, 2008, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

It's a paradox, you guys are playing for exactly the same reason that I stated but you choose to deny the truth. Believe it or not you ARE playing for WEALTH and purchasing POWER.

Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #56506
                        November 21, 2007
                        6537 Posts
                        Posted: March 5, 2008, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

rubberbandman said:

Why?  Because you would have grand aspirations to create vast amounts of wealth and power?  Please don't project your own thinking onto others.  Not everyone looks at the world in the same way.

I'm guessing that you are quite young.  I've been retired many years.  The way I look at things is quite different than you do.  Vast amounts of wealth and power are not particularly meaningful.  Winning a large jackpot like $100 million, would change some surface things for me, but it wouldn't change the core of my being.  I'd buy a new vehicle instead of driving around in a 15-year-old one.  But to me a vehicle is just a means of transportation, not a status symbol, so I'd have no need for a luxury one.  I already have a home on a double lot with view property on water, but I'd be able to hire a regular gardener and housekeeper so I wouldn't have to move to a smaller place since it is getting difficult to care for this big one myself.  I'd be able to afford new home furnishings that I can't afford now, but that wouldn't change who I am.  I wouldn't travel much more.  I did a fair amount of world traveling in my younger days, and frankly I prefer the comforts of home at this stage of my life. 

So why should I bother to buy lottery tickets?  For myself - security.  I have blood relatives who have lived into their late 90s.  By conservative living, I'm holding my own with my investments so far, but if I should also live as long as my relatives, there is no telling what I might need to cover medical and other costs of living.  And just saving the $200 or so a year I spend on lottery tickets isn't likely to make much difference in the long run.  For others - I have a number of relatives who are disabled.  A lottery win would allow me to provide them with the means to live a more normal standard of living.  Again, splitting that $200 or so per year among them wouldn't provide them with any meaningful improvement in their living condition as it would with a major lottery win.  But living better wouldn't change who they are, only their comfort level.   And being power-hungry is not part of who they are.  Any amounts of income from a lottery win that my relatives and I didn't need to live a decent but not extravagent lifestyle could go to the charities I support but to which I can only give token amounts on my current income.

Very well said! Yes Nod

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

mn
                          United States
                          Member #59040
                          March 4, 2008
                          276 Posts
                          Posted: March 5, 2008, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

You cant tell me you agree with that TSC, thats nonsense who doesnt play for wealth and power.

Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #56506
                            November 21, 2007
                            6537 Posts
                            Posted: March 5, 2008, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

You cant tell me you agree with that TSC, thats nonsense who doesnt play for wealth and power.

I don't care if you agree with me. I don't see where I said you had to. And the same could be said for you as well, because I don't have to agree with your stand point either. Which I don't.

mn
                              United States
                              Member #59040
                              March 4, 2008
                              276 Posts
                              Posted: March 5, 2008, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

So defensive, I apologize for the statement, im still getting use to this site Im new here, I thought we had the opportunity to state our minds but i see that we cannot.

ps you do play for wealth and power, if you didnt you wouldnt be playing at all, you know that there is truth in my words