Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is this legal? Part 2

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 9 years ago by JackpotWanna.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
Member #4121
March 23, 2004
817 Posts
Posted: March 11, 2008, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

I see a man scratching his scratch offs by the cashier.  I ask the clerk for 2 scratch offs #30 the same scratch off the man bought.  The clerk keeps asking the man do you want another one while ignoring me.  The man keeps on saying"Yes"  After 5 minutes of this show, I decide to choose a different ticket.   Is this legal?

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: March 11, 2008, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

Is this the same store from your other post? Because if it is, I would start making some calls and avoid that store in the future.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23275 Posts
      Posted: March 11, 2008, 7:03 pm - IP Logged
      1. Hopefully you spoke with the manager after that.
      2. Hopefully you called the state lottery to complain after that.

When enough complaints pile up on those two things, something will be done.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
        Member #4121
        March 23, 2004
        817 Posts
        Posted: March 11, 2008, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

Is this the same store from your other post? Because if it is, I would start making some calls and avoid that store in the future.

It was a different store.

lank's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
          albany georgia
          United States
          Member #55707
          October 15, 2007
          565 Posts
          Posted: March 11, 2008, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

Usually when someone is scratching a roll of tickets that clerk will only sell to that person until he get through with the roll then they will sell it to you.Sun Smiley

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
            Member #50124
            February 26, 2007
            601 Posts
            Posted: March 11, 2008, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

Usually when someone is scratching a roll of tickets that clerk will only sell to that person until he get through with the roll then they will sell it to you.Sun Smiley

I wouldn't buy at a store that does that.  Most of the stores here don't allow scratching at the counter.  When I'm next in line, I expect to be able to buy any product that they sell. 

Is it legal?  Well, they won't be arrested and sent to jail if that's what you mean, JackpotWanna.  But I'd purchase my tickets at a different store and let the offending store know why they've lost my business.  I don't know if the lottery commission would be interested in knowing about this behavior or not. 

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
              Charlotte NC
              United States
              Member #17406
              June 18, 2005
              4053 Posts
              Posted: March 11, 2008, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

That ain't right.

takeemtothebank

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19831 Posts
                Posted: March 11, 2008, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

In the stores where I buy lottery tickets, customers scratching their tickets are told to move aside so the clerk can serve other customers waiting in the line.   

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Litebets27's avatar - power
                  Maryland
                  United States
                  Member #10465
                  January 14, 2005
                  6065 Posts
                  Posted: March 11, 2008, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

It sounds like that person was trying to use up that roll. If this happens again, ask the clerk if this is the person's strategy, then ask is he would open a new roll for you. If the clerk refuses, then ask him/her if this is the stores standard practice and if the lottery sanctions this kind of play.

I don't think that it is a matter of legality as much as it is a matter of just plan rudeness on both of their parts. The guy should have just ask the clerk to put that roll aside and only pulled from it for him until he was done. Or he should have just purchased the whole roll.

I brought a whole roll once, out of curiosity, paid $300.00, lost $125.00. They were $5.00 scratch-offs.

litebets

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

lank's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                    albany georgia
                    United States
                    Member #55707
                    October 15, 2007
                    565 Posts
                    Posted: March 11, 2008, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

When you see a person scratching a lot of ticket from one roll, you donot want to buy from that roll after he is finsih because he had probably got the money off that roll and the clerk just  put the rest of the roll backup to sell. The clerk knows tha t the money has been already wonofff that roll. Ask him to open a new roll for you or buy a different ticketSun Smiley

Maryland
                      United States
                      Member #10465
                      January 14, 2005
                      6065 Posts
                      Posted: March 11, 2008, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

When you see a person scratching a lot of ticket from one roll, you donot want to buy from that roll after he is finsih because he had probably got the money off that roll and the clerk just  put the rest of the roll backup to sell. The clerk knows tha t the money has been already wonofff that roll. Ask him to open a new roll for you or buy a different ticketSun Smiley

I watched a woman get the last ticket on a roll. She was very hesitant but she took it anyway. Stood on the side and scratched it and won $500.00. Funny thing, she didn't cash it in that night. She took it home to show it off to her friends.What?

You never know where that winner is going to be.

litebets

Come on Jackpot!!!

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
                        Kunming
                        China
                        Member #57910
                        January 23, 2008
                        3626 Posts
                        Posted: March 11, 2008, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

I think it's rude on the part of the clerk. Most stores I've bought scratch-off don't like for you to scratch near the counter because you can leave a pretty big mess scratching off a lot of tickets (those gray paint they use to cover the tickets). Most of the time there is an area you can scratch your money away. Best thing to do is tell the clerk how you feel and maybe they will understand or go to another store. If it's not legal I think enforcement is futile.

Play to win!

Maryland
                          United States
                          Member #10465
                          January 14, 2005
                          6065 Posts
                          Posted: March 11, 2008, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

I think it's rude on the part of the clerk. Most stores I've bought scratch-off don't like for you to scratch near the counter because you can leave a pretty big mess scratching off a lot of tickets (those gray paint they use to cover the tickets). Most of the time there is an area you can scratch your money away. Best thing to do is tell the clerk how you feel and maybe they will understand or go to another store. If it's not legal I think enforcement is futile.

Your right. But they sound as if they either knew each other or were at least familiar with each other because they were ignoring Jackpotwanna request. They were probably in it together.

litebets

Come on Jackpot!!!

four4me's avatar - gate1
                            MD
                            United States
                            Member #1701
                            June 18, 2003
                            8364 Posts
                            Posted: March 11, 2008, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

While what I'm going to say might not be polite or correct. The person in front of you is a customer just like you are. He she is spending out of pocket money on scrachers. Of course they are hoping for a winner or more sometimes they might scratch 3 tickets and if they get a winner buy more. While they should move to the side and let the next person make a purchase it's up to the counter person to ask the person to move along not you if you had an irate person in front of you it could be harmful to your life.

When you encounter this situation and you are before the clerk ask the clerk or manager why they allow this to happen in their store. It might also be that before you came in he she was the only other person in the store in which case unless you spoke up they were oblivious as to another person in behind them. Not bothering to pay you any attention.

Now if you were in the store and there was a line behind this person who was hogging the line then i would definitely speak with the manager about it.
                            Under no circumstance is the lottery responsible for this. The stores that sell tickets for the lottery are doing a service for the lottery for a few cents on the dollar. You don't see the lottery opening up lottery stores and selling their tickets they don't want any part of that because they would have to pay the clerks.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                              lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                              CA
                              United States
                              Member #57222
                              December 23, 2007
                              587 Posts
                              Posted: March 13, 2008, 9:30 am - IP Logged

It sounds like that person was trying to use up that roll. If this happens again, ask the clerk if this is the person's strategy, then ask is he would open a new roll for you. If the clerk refuses, then ask him/her if this is the stores standard practice and if the lottery sanctions this kind of play.

I don't think that it is a matter of legality as much as it is a matter of just plan rudeness on both of their parts. The guy should have just ask the clerk to put that roll aside and only pulled from it for him until he was done. Or he should have just purchased the whole roll.

I brought a whole roll once, out of curiosity, paid $300.00, lost $125.00. They were $5.00 scratch-offs.

litebets

Hey Litebets27,

I know this is a bit off the subject.  But thanks for that last line.  I was just in a 7 eleven and the clerk said that a guy bought $60 worth of $1 tickets and won $1,000.  You have just proven that it doesn't always work out that way.

Now, back on the subject,  I think the clerk should have told the first customer to move over.  I doubt it was illegal, but rude as all get out.

On the flip side,  yesturday a clerk told me to move over just to scratch off the portion of the ticket with the winning code because they won't do it for you.  I forgot to do it outside.( I scratch off tickets in the car then go back inside to claim)  He said to step over, I told him "No it only takes me 3 seconds to scratch this part off."  I never new the rule for clerks scratching off the coded section.  Some places I go don't wont you to scratch it off, others won't touch it.  Anyway he waited the 3 seconds without further words.  I got my $5 winning and left.