Welcome Guest
You last visited October 24, 2017, 3:21 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

buying lottery tickets

Topic closed. 47 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Wheeler.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

If the person running the lottery machine rings your tickets up the wrong way do you still buy them?

yes [ 59 ]  [75.64%]
no [ 19 ]  [24.36%]
Total Valid Votes [ 78 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  

United States
Member #58528
February 18, 2008
710 Posts
Posted: March 15, 2008, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Stack47 asked :

Different subject but what if somebody who lived in a state that doesn't allow anonymity, spit the jackpot with someone in another state that does. Would a court rule that state must prove there was an actual winner and must divulge the name because it is public record?

I don't think a court can order a state agency in another state to do anything.They might ask the court in the other state to rule in favor of the lottery player that wants to know the identity of the other winner,but I don't think the court in the second has to respond.But,I'm not a lawyer,I'm just remembering what I saw happen in the death of the big busted chick in Florida last year with California & Texas & the Bahamas all involved.Bang Head

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: March 15, 2008, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

The case involving Anna Nicole Smith was different, Mike.   She was a person who sought out fame and attention.  She was mainly famous for being infamous.   She was buried in the Bahamas because she lived there when she died. Therefore, her mother had no say in her burial.  I didn't really follow the case closely, but I couldn't possibly miss it without keeping the TV off for a month.

You can't split your winnings anyway unless you can prove that there was a prior contract, at least that's the way the IRS looks at it.  Otherwise it would probably be considered to be a gift. Every state is different and some will pay multiple winners and some will only pay a single winner which can also be in the form of a trust or LLC.  Still, I don't think people can just make these decisions after they win.  Anyway, I think the state in which the prize wins would have jurisdiction over the prize and, therefore, whatever rules it already established would be enforceable.  If someone who lives in a state where you can remain anonymous wins MM in GA they're still going to announce it in the paper.  FL doesn't have PB or MM, but the lottery would definitely have the winner's name available to the public.

(I am not a lawyer, so please forgive me if I am using incorrect legal terms, but you get my drift.)

United States
      Member #58528
      February 18, 2008
      710 Posts
      Posted: March 15, 2008, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

The case involving Anna Nicole Smith was different, Mike.   She was a person who sought out fame and attention.  She was mainly famous for being infamous.   She was buried in the Bahamas because she lived there when she died. Therefore, her mother had no say in her burial.  I didn't really follow the case closely, but I couldn't possibly miss it without keeping the TV off for a month.

You can't split your winnings anyway unless you can prove that there was a prior contract, at least that's the way the IRS looks at it.  Otherwise it would probably be considered to be a gift. Every state is different and some will pay multiple winners and some will only pay a single winner which can also be in the form of a trust or LLC.  Still, I don't think people can just make these decisions after they win.  Anyway, I think the state in which the prize wins would have jurisdiction over the prize and, therefore, whatever rules it already established would be enforceable.  If someone who lives in a state where you can remain anonymous wins MM in GA they're still going to announce it in the paper.  FL doesn't have PB or MM, but the lottery would definitely have the winner's name available to the public.

(I am not a lawyer, so please forgive me if I am using incorrect legal terms, but you get my drift.)

Maybe I read his post wrong.I thought he meant that there were two winners in different states that were splitting the jackpot and one winner went public and the other prefered to remain anonymous.The winner that went public wanted the state that the anonymous winner lived in to prove that their actually was a winner by identifying the anonymous winner.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: March 15, 2008, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

Sorry - just realized you were quoting Stack.  Didn't look closely enough at the post I guess.  Wow, your last post is very complicated!  LOL

If 2 people win in the same state, I suppose one of the winners could certainly request anonymity if the rules allow it.  (Never thought about the other scenerio.) However, I don't think there's any law preventing neighbors, relatives or another winner from blabbing to the newspaper.  To me, the most important thing anonymity does is help a winner keep his secret long enough to make plans. Since it often takes weeks to get the money, I wouldn't want to sit here waiting while my name was in the paper, although I wouldn't mind if they announced it in 60 days.  That would be a good compromise and I wish a state like FL would consider that option.  I mean, why can't the FL lottery protect the identity of the winner for security purposes and then make the information public in 30 or 60 days?  This gives a person time to contact an attorney, deposit the money and move if that's his desire. In that case, no rules are broken...right?  I mean, the info is still available to the public, but the actual announcement with all the details is delayed.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
          Member #50124
          February 26, 2007
          601 Posts
          Posted: March 15, 2008, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

Maybe I read his post wrong.I thought he meant that there were two winners in different states that were splitting the jackpot and one winner went public and the other prefered to remain anonymous.The winner that went public wanted the state that the anonymous winner lived in to prove that their actually was a winner by identifying the anonymous winner.

I'd guess the law applies according to which state the ticket was purchased in.  If 2 tickets were sold, then the one in the anon state will surely be allowed to stay anon if they wish, while the one sold in the other state will have their identity released.

If only one ticket was sold in a state that releases winner identities, and that person decided to share it with a friend/relative in a state that allows anonymity, then the person in the anon state will still be required to release their identity because the ticket was purchased in and is being paid out by the state that releases identities, and the rules of the state which is paying will have to be followed.

United States
            Member #58528
            February 18, 2008
            710 Posts
            Posted: March 15, 2008, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

Sorry - just realized you were quoting Stack.  Didn't look closely enough at the post I guess.  Wow, your last post is very complicated!  LOL

If 2 people win in the same state, I suppose one of the winners could certainly request anonymity if the rules allow it.  (Never thought about the other scenerio.) However, I don't think there's any law preventing neighbors, relatives or another winner from blabbing to the newspaper.  To me, the most important thing anonymity does is help a winner keep his secret long enough to make plans. Since it often takes weeks to get the money, I wouldn't want to sit here waiting while my name was in the paper, although I wouldn't mind if they announced it in 60 days.  That would be a good compromise and I wish a state like FL would consider that option.  I mean, why can't the FL lottery protect the identity of the winner for security purposes and then make the information public in 30 or 60 days?  This gives a person time to contact an attorney, deposit the money and move if that's his desire. In that case, no rules are broken...right?  I mean, the info is still available to the public, but the actual announcement with all the details is delayed.

Maybe Stack will chime in and tell me if I read his post correctly or not.I could be way off base...its been known to happen.Confused

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
              Member #50124
              February 26, 2007
              601 Posts
              Posted: March 15, 2008, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

I answered before that I do buy them, but I just remembered a time I didn't.  It was back when I was still buying the Powerplay.  I asked for 5 PB's with the PP.  I thought the clerk was gone a long time, but I wasn't paying much attention till she came back and said that's $50.  Huh?  She had printed 5 tickets with 5 lines each!!!!  So I guess my answer is, it depends on how much it'll cost me.  A few bucks and I'll buy the mistake.  Five or more and I probably won't.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                Member #5344
                June 30, 2004
                23641 Posts
                Posted: March 15, 2008, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

I answered before that I do buy them, but I just remembered a time I didn't.  It was back when I was still buying the Powerplay.  I asked for 5 PB's with the PP.  I thought the clerk was gone a long time, but I wasn't paying much attention till she came back and said that's $50.  Huh?  She had printed 5 tickets with 5 lines each!!!!  So I guess my answer is, it depends on how much it'll cost me.  A few bucks and I'll buy the mistake.  Five or more and I probably won't.

Wow that was a huge mistake.

I would be so worried that the ticket I didn't pick from the five would hit.

I would be relieved if I didn't win that no one did from that store.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3625 Posts
                  Posted: March 16, 2008, 3:58 am - IP Logged

"I've seen clerks try to insert slips 5 or 6 times and then watch another clerk clear the machine and the tickets are printed the first time."

If the problem is that the right button needed to be pushed it doesn't matter who inserts the slip. OTOH, when the clerk does the same thing each time the slip is inserted, either the button(s) they're pushing only works the last time, or there is some other transient problem with the machine.

"if the machine is ready to accept a pick-3 bet because the clerk didn't press 'start over' and tries to run Mega Million play slips, it might not read them."

Since the machines aren't a new idea and the bugs have been worked out, wouldn't it make sense that the machines recognize the slips for different games?  Assuming you've had to use new slips for game where the matrix changed it should be obvious that the machines won't accept a slip for the "right" game unless it's the current slip. Of corse if the designers can't make a machine that knows what the slip is for, why would you trust their software? Buggy software could cause  problems just as easily as a physical problem in reflecting the laser. I'm certainly not saying that most errors are a machine problem, but I'd be extremely surprised if the machines don't cause some problems.

"I don't know why Mega Millions tickets can't be canceled"

Because there's no incentive to the lottery in cancelling tickets. Selling tickets that are mistakes is more profitable than  not selling them.

"Different subject but what if somebody who lived in a state that doesn't allow anonymity, spit the jackpot with someone in another state that does. Would a court rule that state must prove there was an actual winner and must divulge the name because it is public record?"

What if the person who won the first MM jackpot after somebody from Ohio won about $270 million and remained anonymous sued to see if there really had been a winner in Ohio? A lot of people worry that lotteries might somehow manipulate the game to prevent winners or decide which numbers do win. Suppose the state simply claimed they had sold a winning ticket and that the winner chose to remain anonymous, and simply kept the prize for the state treasury? It really doesn't matter whether a prize is split among multiple winners or not.  Either there is enough evidence of fraud to get a court order for the records or there isn't.

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3625 Posts
                    Posted: March 16, 2008, 4:02 am - IP Logged

Maybe Stack will chime in and tell me if I read his post correctly or not.I could be way off base...its been known to happen.Confused

I'm pretty sure he understands the rules well enough and is referring to multiple winners that bought separate tickets in different states. If two people share a jackpot won on one ticket, it doesn't matter if the 2nd person lives on the moon. The rule that applies is the rule in the state where the winning ticket was bought. 

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                      Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #1303
                      March 27, 2003
                      1508 Posts
                      Posted: March 16, 2008, 10:15 am - IP Logged

I have read where people have bought "mistake" tickets and won.It does happen.

I can vouch for that.   Not the jackpot, but lesser tier winners.  Up here they have a little "holder" attached to the registers where they put the "mistake" tickets that the customer doesn't want.  On the jackpot games, in the past, I've just bought one or two of those (since it doesn't seem any less likely you can win anything figuring out yuor own numbers for jackpot games) and ended up with lower tier prizes.

When it comes to jp games,  luck is as good as "trying to figure".

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7585 Posts
                        Posted: March 16, 2008, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Stack47 asked :

Different subject but what if somebody who lived in a state that doesn't allow anonymity, spit the jackpot with someone in another state that does. Would a court rule that state must prove there was an actual winner and must divulge the name because it is public record?

I don't think a court can order a state agency in another state to do anything.They might ask the court in the other state to rule in favor of the lottery player that wants to know the identity of the other winner,but I don't think the court in the second has to respond.But,I'm not a lawyer,I'm just remembering what I saw happen in the death of the big busted chick in Florida last year with California & Texas & the Bahamas all involved.Bang Head

If two of the jackpot winners bought their tickets in states that didn't allow anonymity there could be a question of was there really another winner in another state that said the winner wished to remain anonymous. It's the perception of the jackpot winners that didn't play in the other state and played by different rules. When we consider some of the things that happened with the Tennessee Lottery, asking for proof there was actually another winner in another state is a legitimate question.

I don't know how anonymity is applied; it could be as simple as the state lottery not disclosing the name in press releases or it could be sealing the public record. The court I was referring to was any court that had jurisdiction so I imagine it would a Federal court in a multi state lottery game.

There has been lawsuits when there were multiple jackpot winners but it was because one or more of the tickets were unclaimed. The courts had to decide if the state should keep winnings or should the unclaimed winnings be split by the other winners.

These were individual state lottery games with jackpots under $10 million. Maybe I should reword my previous question to what if the other winning ticket went unclaimed in another state playing a multi state lottery game with a jackpot of $270 million.

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7585 Posts
                          Posted: March 16, 2008, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

"I've seen clerks try to insert slips 5 or 6 times and then watch another clerk clear the machine and the tickets are printed the first time."

If the problem is that the right button needed to be pushed it doesn't matter who inserts the slip. OTOH, when the clerk does the same thing each time the slip is inserted, either the button(s) they're pushing only works the last time, or there is some other transient problem with the machine.

"if the machine is ready to accept a pick-3 bet because the clerk didn't press 'start over' and tries to run Mega Million play slips, it might not read them."

Since the machines aren't a new idea and the bugs have been worked out, wouldn't it make sense that the machines recognize the slips for different games?  Assuming you've had to use new slips for game where the matrix changed it should be obvious that the machines won't accept a slip for the "right" game unless it's the current slip. Of corse if the designers can't make a machine that knows what the slip is for, why would you trust their software? Buggy software could cause  problems just as easily as a physical problem in reflecting the laser. I'm certainly not saying that most errors are a machine problem, but I'd be extremely surprised if the machines don't cause some problems.

"I don't know why Mega Millions tickets can't be canceled"

Because there's no incentive to the lottery in cancelling tickets. Selling tickets that are mistakes is more profitable than  not selling them.

"Different subject but what if somebody who lived in a state that doesn't allow anonymity, spit the jackpot with someone in another state that does. Would a court rule that state must prove there was an actual winner and must divulge the name because it is public record?"

What if the person who won the first MM jackpot after somebody from Ohio won about $270 million and remained anonymous sued to see if there really had been a winner in Ohio? A lot of people worry that lotteries might somehow manipulate the game to prevent winners or decide which numbers do win. Suppose the state simply claimed they had sold a winning ticket and that the winner chose to remain anonymous, and simply kept the prize for the state treasury? It really doesn't matter whether a prize is split among multiple winners or not.  Either there is enough evidence of fraud to get a court order for the records or there isn't.

Last night a lottery clerk told me they don't have to clear the screen to run play slips and the machine beeps when its ready to accept another play slip. She said the other clerk probably had her other hand on the touch screen when she ran my play slips and I think the other clerk was leaning on the machine. It makes more sense to me that screen was dirty and she accidentally added multi draws and multi QPs to what was on the play slip. When Scary Chick was told the machine had been acting up all day that problem might have been solved by cleaning the touch screen.

Clerks can and do sell the mistakes but if they are not sold by the time of the drawing, they will have to pay for them. Somebody that wants 10 QPs on a $270 million jackpot might not want those same tickets for the next 10 drawings.

Some of these anonymity discussions are exaggerated to the point where they make it sound like the jackpot winner will become invisible. If you told the Ohio Lottery that you wanted to anonymously claim your jackpot prize, I think that means they won't give out your name in a press release. Your name might still be written on public record and people can get access the same way they get access to any public record.

Your example has legal standing and if allowing anonymity is policy and not law, the lottery would not want the public to hear charges of corruption just to protect a policy and the ID of the winner whose name is probably already on public record.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                            Member #24380
                            October 21, 2005
                            623 Posts
                            Posted: March 22, 2008, 3:03 am - IP Logged

I used to buy the mistakes, thinking, this might be an omen.  Then I would even ask the clerks did they have an mistakes someone did not buy and buy them.  I stopped after two years of this.  I never won a cent!  Not even a free ticket.  Confused

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                              Member #13130
                              March 30, 2005
                              2171 Posts
                              Posted: April 23, 2008, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

I choose lump sum.

(Since we're not in the same state) I hope you don't have financial problems later in life.Clown

Yeah, I'll buy the oopses.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.