Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

winning the powerball or megamillions

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Piaceri.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

If you won would you have someone else turn it in?

Yes [ 3 ]  [9.09%]
no [ 30 ]  [90.91%]
Total Valid Votes [ 33 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
dewman48's avatar - avatar 6439.gif
Danville, PA
United States
Member #48440
December 27, 2006
229 Posts
Posted: March 14, 2008, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Ok here's the reason I ask this question and did this poll. Me and some friends were talking about winning the powerball or megamillion and one of them said something about a guy he knew owed back taxes and would have someone else turn it in. Ok if for any reason would you have someone else turn it in, Taxes, wanted no one else to know you won, or what ever the reason would you.

Thanks and Good Luck

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED TRY N TRY AGAIN

United States
    Member #58528
    February 18, 2008
    710 Posts
    Posted: March 14, 2008, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

Ok here's the reason I ask this question and did this poll. Me and some friends were talking about winning the powerball or megamillion and one of them said something about a guy he knew owed back taxes and would have someone else turn it in. Ok if for any reason would you have someone else turn it in, Taxes, wanted no one else to know you won, or what ever the reason would you.

Thanks and Good Luck

I think if I won the Powerball or Mega Millions drawing I would win enough to pay any back taxes that I owe and still have many millions to spare,so my answer is NO!

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
      Member #38687
      May 3, 2006
      315 Posts
      Posted: March 14, 2008, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

unless the amount of back taxes is more than the amount won......whats the point. I've learned one thing.....Uncle Sam will get his share one way or another so why not just go ahead and pay the taxes and get that monkey off your back.

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8358 Posts
        Posted: March 14, 2008, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

I have an acquaintance he's like a friend but we rarely see one another these days he won the lottery for like 2.5 million he gave the ticket to his daughter to cash for him she did and he never saw her again. Never give a winning ticket to anyone unless you don't want it .

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
          colthmn's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg
          Inglewood
          United States
          Member #41769
          June 22, 2006
          122 Posts
          Posted: March 14, 2008, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

unless the amount of back taxes is more than the amount won......whats the point. I've learned one thing.....Uncle Sam will get his share one way or another so why not just go ahead and pay the taxes and get that monkey off your back.

Exactly!!

Besides, crack and meth and all that fun stuff is out there. You gotta cash it yourself, getting free of debt means just that. Now you can really enjoy life, no monkeys, no stress, no nothing!!! 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10344 Posts
            Posted: March 15, 2008, 12:06 am - IP Logged

It goes beyond taxes. There have been cases where jackpot winners who were receiving some kind of assistance or disability had to pay everything back they had received from the state- makes me wonder ehat happens if they win one of the lower prizes, like $10,000.

Unless someone is in a state that lets you remain anonymous, I don't think you could have someone else stand in for you- a lottery ticket is a bearer bond - payable to whoever is holding it (unsigned). If it's signed, it's payable only to the person who signed it (as far as I know).   

Plus, in the example in the OP, trying to skirt around back taxes not only would be fraud but would jeopardize the winnings, a person pulling that kind of stunt may never get any winnings at all.

Would make a good "Lotto Darwin Award" though! 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              6537 Posts
              Posted: March 15, 2008, 12:09 am - IP Logged

Nope. If I won, I would go and cash the ticket myself. I have nothing to hide and I wouldn't want to hand a ticket worth thousands or millions of dollars to someone else, hoping that I don't get ripped off.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

benmas's avatar - waveform
                Rhode Island
                United States
                Member #56010
                October 28, 2007
                434 Posts
                Posted: March 15, 2008, 12:47 am - IP Logged

turn it in myself ...afterwards if there is a particular person(s) you feel that deserves some money from your winfall then go ahead and share..but it will be my signature on back of that winning ticket

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3471 Posts
                  Posted: March 15, 2008, 2:17 am - IP Logged

Sure. What could possibly go wrong with giving somebody a bearer instrument worth millions of dollars as part of a criminal conspiracy and trusting them to then give you the money?

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                    Gurnee, Illinois
                    United States
                    Member #49731
                    February 12, 2007
                    917 Posts
                    Posted: March 15, 2008, 7:42 am - IP Logged

It goes beyond taxes. There have been cases where jackpot winners who were receiving some kind of assistance or disability had to pay everything back they had received from the state- makes me wonder ehat happens if they win one of the lower prizes, like $10,000.

Unless someone is in a state that lets you remain anonymous, I don't think you could have someone else stand in for you- a lottery ticket is a bearer bond - payable to whoever is holding it (unsigned). If it's signed, it's payable only to the person who signed it (as far as I know).   

Plus, in the example in the OP, trying to skirt around back taxes not only would be fraud but would jeopardize the winnings, a person pulling that kind of stunt may never get any winnings at all.

Would make a good "Lotto Darwin Award" though! 

Let me get this straight...are there really people more concerned about squeezing a few hundred bucks a month out of the government in the form of public assistance or disability than just being happy that they won several million...thereby eliminating the need to receive such "benefits"?  Give me a break.  Kind of reminds me of those infomercials where the elder law lawyers are trying to help the very well to do have the government pay for their loved ones assisted living care...to that I say just go invest in a quality long term care insurance policy!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                      Member #28409
                      December 15, 2005
                      1198 Posts
                      Posted: March 15, 2008, 8:58 am - IP Logged

Sure. What could possibly go wrong with giving somebody a bearer instrument worth millions of dollars as part of a criminal conspiracy and trusting them to then give you the money?

Green laugh

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10344 Posts
                        Posted: March 15, 2008, 9:37 am - IP Logged

Let me get this straight...are there really people more concerned about squeezing a few hundred bucks a month out of the government in the form of public assistance or disability than just being happy that they won several million...thereby eliminating the need to receive such "benefits"?  Give me a break.  Kind of reminds me of those infomercials where the elder law lawyers are trying to help the very well to do have the government pay for their loved ones assisted living care...to that I say just go invest in a quality long term care insurance policy!

OldSchoolPa

You're jumping to a few conclusions. No one said anyone is worried about continuing to squeeze a few hundred bucks a month out of the government after hitting a jackpot.

What as said was there have been cases where people who won lotteries have had to pay back what they had received thus far.

So let's say someone was getting a few hundred or maybe a thousand a month for years,  then hit a pick 5 game. It depends on what state they live in and other factors, but thye could just watch a jackpot go <poof>.

And, if they live in a state that has such rules, what if they did hit a lower prize on PB  or MM. then what?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                          Member #5344
                          June 30, 2004
                          23641 Posts
                          Posted: March 15, 2008, 11:05 am - IP Logged

OldSchoolPa

You're jumping to a few conclusions. No one said anyone is worried about continuing to squeeze a few hundred bucks a month out of the government after hitting a jackpot.

What as said was there have been cases where people who won lotteries have had to pay back what they had received thus far.

So let's say someone was getting a few hundred or maybe a thousand a month for years,  then hit a pick 5 game. It depends on what state they live in and other factors, but thye could just watch a jackpot go <poof>.

And, if they live in a state that has such rules, what if they did hit a lower prize on PB  or MM. then what?

There would be  a few who would still want to draw that check each month and those food stamps.  They would allow someone else to claim so that their living off the government doesn't end.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                            Member #50124
                            February 26, 2007
                            601 Posts
                            Posted: March 15, 2008, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

Thanks and Good Luck

If I won the big kahuna, absolutely not.  I'd turn it in myself and pay the piddly taxes.  

But if I won $10,000 and just happened to owe $9,999 in taxes?  Boy, that would be hard.  But I think I'd go ahead and turn it in knowing I wouldn't get anything except the burden of that debt off my shoulders.  That would be almost as good as having an extra 10K in my pocket.

Now I know a few guys, however, who are so dead-set against paying the child support they owe, I can imagine they'd do anything to avoid paying it even if they won tonight's Powerball of over $80 million after taxes in Idaho.  They'd take their chances with fraud charges and jail time to avoid paying $20K in support to a woman they hate. 

United States
                              Member #58528
                              February 18, 2008
                              710 Posts
                              Posted: March 15, 2008, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

OldSchoolPa

I thought the question was about Powerball and Mega Millions jackpots,not pick 5,in which case a winner would have enough money to pay back any money owed to anyone for any reason and still have millions left over to enjoy.