Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

winning the powerball or megamillions

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Piaceri.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

If you won would you have someone else turn it in?

Yes [ 3 ]  [9.09%]
no [ 30 ]  [90.91%]
Total Valid Votes [ 33 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
mississippi
United States
Member #34478
March 3, 2006
5903 Posts
Posted: March 15, 2008, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

If I won the big kahuna, absolutely not.  I'd turn it in myself and pay the piddly taxes.  

But if I won $10,000 and just happened to owe $9,999 in taxes?  Boy, that would be hard.  But I think I'd go ahead and turn it in knowing I wouldn't get anything except the burden of that debt off my shoulders.  That would be almost as good as having an extra 10K in my pocket.

Now I know a few guys, however, who are so dead-set against paying the child support they owe, I can imagine they'd do anything to avoid paying it even if they won tonight's Powerball of over $80 million after taxes in Idaho.  They'd take their chances with fraud charges and jail time to avoid paying $20K in support to a woman they hate. 

The main purpose isnt for a woman they may hate..it should be for the children they made!!!..Besides who cares how a woman spends child support..if she is providing a rook over their head and they have hest and food..she can do whatever she wants with it..I cant stand a Fuding sorry ass dead beat Dad..I would like to kick everyone of them in their nets...

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10354 Posts
    Posted: March 15, 2008, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

There would be  a few who would still want to draw that check each month and those food stamps.  They would allow someone else to claim so that their living off the government doesn't end.

tntea

Yeah, there probably would be- and we'd seem them on Dumbest Criminals on TruTV!

"Tom Huckleberry, lottery winner, continued to draw his stipends, having had a friend cash his winning ticket in. His stipends are gone, and the jackpot is frozen while he and the friend are being indicted for fraud. Stay tuned..." 

and think about this:

Isn't winning a lottery jackpot the extrme example of living off the government?

Ut oh.... 

Hiding Behind Computer

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
      Member #58528
      February 18, 2008
      710 Posts
      Posted: March 15, 2008, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss said:

Isn't winning a lottery jackpot the extrme example of living off the government?

No,it isn't.The government doesn't fund the lottery.Private citizens fund the lottery with their purchases of lottery tickets.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: March 15, 2008, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

Sure. What could possibly go wrong with giving somebody a bearer instrument worth millions of dollars as part of a criminal conspiracy and trusting them to then give you the money?

I wonder about that when I watch a show where a man sneaks around and cheats & leaves his wife for the woman.  Why is she so shocked when he cheats on her?  Why do people in those movies like Goodfellas never think it's their turn to be whacked?

My answer, like the majority here is "no!" If I did owe the government money, the only thing I wouldn't like is my personal business in the news.  I can't remember when, but LP once posted a news release about a winner who had a lot of credit card debt and other problems and I thought "this is none of anyone's business."  I have nothing to hide, thank goodness, but just because someone wins money doesn't mean his dirty laundry needs to be on page one.  On the one hand it's good because people who might otherwise not know might learn that the person who borrowed $5,000 bucks and never paid him back is now wealthy, or the spouse who ran off without paying child support can now divvy up.  On the other, like good bait, it draws all the roaches & termites out of the woodwork.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
          Member #41383
          June 16, 2006
          1969 Posts
          Posted: March 15, 2008, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

Ok here's the reason I ask this question and did this poll. Me and some friends were talking about winning the powerball or megamillion and one of them said something about a guy he knew owed back taxes and would have someone else turn it in. Ok if for any reason would you have someone else turn it in, Taxes, wanted no one else to know you won, or what ever the reason would you.

Thanks and Good Luck

You can't be serious.

Just as Chasinadream said.

Besides, I can PROMISE you: your 'wanted no one else to know you won' statement ?   That MIGHT last one day. MAYBE. It won't last two days. If there is one thing life should have taught you, it's that people cannot keep a secret, and you cannot escape your family.

And if you DID escape your family, they would be able to put 2+2 together and figure it out.

Guy wins the jackpot in a town, guy that picks it up is obviously not the guy that won, and you disappear into thin air. Folks will figure it out, trust me. 

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: March 15, 2008, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

I wonder about that when I watch a show where a man sneaks around and cheats & leaves his wife for the woman.  Why is she so shocked when he cheats on her?  Why do people in those movies like Goodfellas never think it's their turn to be whacked?

My answer, like the majority here is "no!" If I did owe the government money, the only thing I wouldn't like is my personal business in the news.  I can't remember when, but LP once posted a news release about a winner who had a lot of credit card debt and other problems and I thought "this is none of anyone's business."  I have nothing to hide, thank goodness, but just because someone wins money doesn't mean his dirty laundry needs to be on page one.  On the one hand it's good because people who might otherwise not know might learn that the person who borrowed $5,000 bucks and never paid him back is now wealthy, or the spouse who ran off without paying child support can now divvy up.  On the other, like good bait, it draws all the roaches & termites out of the woodwork.

I know two folks in different states that won the PB Jackpot about 10 years apart, NEITHER of them have been pestered by anybody - no roaches or termites.

Baton Rouge, LA
              United States
              Member #4602
              May 7, 2004
              699 Posts
              Posted: March 15, 2008, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

Inmy case, I plan to claim with a trust so I can stay anonymous.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Baton Rouge, LA
                United States
                Member #4602
                May 7, 2004
                699 Posts
                Posted: March 15, 2008, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

I know two folks in different states that won the PB Jackpot about 10 years apart, NEITHER of them have been pestered by anybody - no roaches or termites.

They sound very lucky.  Others I've read about here haven't been so lucky.  I read one story here about a winner who got a call from Indonesia when they won.  The 'net really has made our world smaller.  I also read here about a winner in Florida who had made a deal to buy a truck and after the news of winning the lottery broke, the dealership decided to jack up the price. 

I don't want people coming to me looking for money if I win.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10354 Posts
                  Posted: March 15, 2008, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss said:

No,it isn't.The government doesn't fund the lottery.Private citizens fund the lottery with their purchases of lottery tickets.

Exactly. And the state lottery pays a minute portion of what came in to the winners, if there is a jackpot winner and the lesser prizes to those winners (so they can buy more tickers!) and keeps the rest. Lotteries are a function of the states (thus far, or some have been sold). Quite a bit of what the state government does is funded by the people, not just lotteries. 

I haven't seen one, and would love to, but I'm pretty sure those jackpot checks say "State Lottery" on them, as in "Illinois Lottery", Iowa Lottery", etc...and not "Private citizens of the state of _ _ _ _".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Republic of Texas
                    United States
                    Member #57557
                    January 9, 2008
                    1095 Posts
                    Posted: March 16, 2008, 10:34 am - IP Logged

Never would I try and cheat the IRS. Cheating the IRS is pretty close to cheating the mob in my mind, only you get to live afterwards.

Nor would I ever trust someone to claim the ticket for me.  Any debts I have would get paid first - mortgage, car loan, credit cards, and the parent student loan.  I don't owe any back taxes thank goodness. Then the money is mine to do with as I please.  But not before I satisfy those who have trusted me enough to loan money to me.

It's called honor and trust. If you have neither, you are nothing.