Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's the cut off point for you?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 9 years ago by mylollipop.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
CaliWinner's avatar - aeonflux
Orange County, CA
United States
Member #59371
March 14, 2008
28 Posts
Posted: March 15, 2008, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Meaning, do you always play certain lotteries, regardless of the jackpot? Or do you only play if the jackpot is a certain size? I only play Mega Millions and Super Lotto if the jackpot is 40 million or higher -- I figure after the cash payout and taxes, that's enough money for my husband and I to quit our jobs (if we want. I know _I_ want to!), do the specific things we have planned, and live relatively comfortably, if not super extravagantly. Anything below 40 million, I don't bother.

Making that my cut off point also prevents me from playing every week and spending too much money, too ;)

Not a winner yet. But I will be!

United States
    Member #58528
    February 18, 2008
    710 Posts
    Posted: March 15, 2008, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

I only play two jackpot games,Powerball & Mega Millions.One starts at $12,000,000 & the other starts at $15,000,000.I play even when the jackpots are low.I can live better with the tax money than I am now.Of course I'd prefer to hit a jackpot that is much bigger,but for an investment of a only a dollor or two,12 or 15 million ain't bad.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: March 15, 2008, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

I play Wild Card 2 every Wed. and Sat. when I can and every once in a while, I play Powerball and Hot Lotto. I don't usually wait for the jackpot to get to a certain point. I just play when my budget allows it. Because frankly, if I could win the lowest jackpot of any of the games, I would take it.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: March 15, 2008, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

For me, this is one area where size doesn't matter.  If I play a game, I play it when it's the minimum jackpot or it rolls.  Winning $3 million would be just fine with me and my odds don't increase just because the jackpot it larger.  For some reason, a lot people believe there is a greater chance of winning when a jackpot rolls over several times.  Yes, there probably is. But it just means that someone will probably win since so many more people are playing for that very reason.  It doesn't increase your chances, however.  So I understand that it might be wise to wait and let others spend the money while the jackpot increases, but I also know there's a possibility I will win (or lose) any time I play.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
          Member #50124
          February 26, 2007
          601 Posts
          Posted: March 15, 2008, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

I play Wild Card 2 every Wed. and Sat. when I can and every once in a while, I play Powerball and Hot Lotto. I don't usually wait for the jackpot to get to a certain point. I just play when my budget allows it. Because frankly, if I could win the lowest jackpot of any of the games, I would take it.

I do just the opposite.  I play PB and HL every draw, and WC2 only when the JP is high enough to justify spending $1 on a chance.  $100K isn't enough for me to be spending $2 a week on a chance at, so I usually wait till WC2 gets to $500K.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: March 15, 2008, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

I do just the opposite.  I play PB and HL every draw, and WC2 only when the JP is high enough to justify spending $1 on a chance.  $100K isn't enough for me to be spending $2 a week on a chance at, so I usually wait till WC2 gets to $500K.

I usually like to start playing when it hits about $200,000, but when it's lower, I will buy a couple of tickets. I guess I like playing it more then the others because of the odds and the fact that you can get two plays for a buck.

Are you going to be playing it tonight? It is up to $515,000. 

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19900 Posts
              Posted: March 15, 2008, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

The games I play, I would be happy to win the second tier prize, MegaMillions $250K, PowerBall $200K, and etc. are fixed amounts so if I'm feeling lucky and have some extra change, the jackpot size doesn't matter.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: March 15, 2008, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

This doesn't make sense to me because $1 is all it takes.

I'd give up a Coke (which I don't need anyway) in order to take a chance.

And the folks that don't play at all unless it gets over 200 Million makes no sense to me either.  With a pot of 15 Million - that means less players I have to go against, the better my chances are. 

I guess the lottery helps my diet - I may lose weight, and I will definitely be lighter in the wallet  LOL 

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                  Member #5344
                  June 30, 2004
                  23641 Posts
                  Posted: March 15, 2008, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

Pick 5 every draw.. New system I am work on.  Right now, playing with TN numbers.  They are now paying for 2 or more numbers.

PB  every draw... amount played depends on what the numbers are looking like on the chart.  I play to hit the 5 white balls.   If pb number falls with the five.. That would be icing on the cake.

Now the new game...  Playing two numbers each draw.  I picked one set and my grandson picked the other. No system to use there.

Pick3 Pick4... every once in a while.   I use the Pacattack 7 day system when I do.. this is for TN.

Online...  doing better in GA and NC. 

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
                    Member #50124
                    February 26, 2007
                    601 Posts
                    Posted: March 15, 2008, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

I usually like to start playing when it hits about $200,000, but when it's lower, I will buy a couple of tickets. I guess I like playing it more then the others because of the odds and the fact that you can get two plays for a buck.

Are you going to be playing it tonight? It is up to $515,000. 

Nope, not tonight.  I meant to but didn't get back to the store to get one.  Wednesday for sure, unless it hits tonight.  Or unless I hit PB or HL tonight.  Big Smile

United States
                      Member #50124
                      February 26, 2007
                      601 Posts
                      Posted: March 15, 2008, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

This doesn't make sense to me because $1 is all it takes.

I'd give up a Coke (which I don't need anyway) in order to take a chance.

And the folks that don't play at all unless it gets over 200 Million makes no sense to me either.  With a pot of 15 Million - that means less players I have to go against, the better my chances are. 

I guess the lottery helps my diet - I may lose weight, and I will definitely be lighter in the wallet  LOL 

But I already gave up my coke for a chance.  Wink  So I have to decide what it is I want to spend that dollar on to take my chances.  The odds of winning Wild Card 2 are better than the other 2, but I'm holding out for a life changing win, I guess.  $100K is nothing to sneeze at, but it wouldn't change my life.  So I spend my buck on a dream of enough to be able to pay cash for a nice home and have some left to invest.  That's how I determine my cut-off point of $500K.

Baton Rouge, LA
                        United States
                        Member #4602
                        May 7, 2004
                        700 Posts
                        Posted: March 15, 2008, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

I run a lottery pool in my office which plays Powerball and Louisiana Lotto every Wednesday and Saturday.  It's only $4 every payday, and we manage to buy 4 Lotto and 4 Powerball tickets for each drawing.

On my own, I play Lotto and Easy 5 every Wednesday and Saturday.  I play Powerball when the jackpot hits $100 million.

As for scratchers, I only play them occasionally, and only if there's a second chance drawing for losing tickets.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10391 Posts
                          Posted: March 15, 2008, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

I play Little Lotto (Pick 5, progressive jackpot starts at $100,000) most nights, but skip some when it's "flat" (at the starting point).

When the MM gets to nine figures and goes aboe 200 million and the fever kicks in I actually pray that if we do win, someone else does, too.  

After a certain amount, the thought of winning that much is actually somehow "obscene" - how much do we really need?

But that's just me... 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Plainfield, IL
                            United States
                            Member #20047
                            August 10, 2005
                            10 Posts
                            Posted: March 15, 2008, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

It depends on the odds.  For MM I wait until it is at $100 million, for the pick 6 I usually let it get to $10 million before I throw money at it.  I would be content with $10 million.

[This Space For Sale]

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                              West Side of Sunny Florida
                              United States
                              Member #55048
                              September 8, 2007
                              3371 Posts
                              Posted: March 15, 2008, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

For me, this is one area where size doesn't matter.  If I play a game, I play it when it's the minimum jackpot or it rolls.  Winning $3 million would be just fine with me and my odds don't increase just because the jackpot it larger.  For some reason, a lot people believe there is a greater chance of winning when a jackpot rolls over several times.  Yes, there probably is. But it just means that someone will probably win since so many more people are playing for that very reason.  It doesn't increase your chances, however.  So I understand that it might be wise to wait and let others spend the money while the jackpot increases, but I also know there's a possibility I will win (or lose) any time I play.

Interesting how no one picked up on the 'size doesn't matter' comment or choose not to comment on it.  Cool

Money won is twice as good as money earned!