Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 6:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Using Win To Start a Business

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 9 years ago by guesser.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7325 Posts
Posted: March 25, 2008, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

How, you have no budgeting sense if you finance it yourself, anyways this is the 21th century, nobody finance anything themselves anymore. That might have been good during the 50's and up but this is a new generation, it's all about 'OPM' (Other People's Money). Obviously we're thinking both.

True.

Sorry, I don't fully comprehend your last statement, please clarify.

Topics like "this is how I will spend the winnings" even though I didn't actually give any thought to choosing the correct numbers or using a playing strategy that would give me the most for my lottery bucks.

A week ago there were 65 college basketball teams in the NCAA tourney and the players could have speculated on their post game interview after making the winning shot. Or they could have done all the necessary preparation to get them into position to make that tourney winning shot.

I'm not very good at predicting numbers but I can predict when the either the Powerball or Mega Millions jackpots get over $150 million, there will be new topics on the same old subjects like "will it roll to a record high?" and/or wish lists on the winnings. After the jackpot is won, I'll predict we'll see topics how dumb or how smart the winner is too.

I'm not saying doing a simple topic search to avoid redundancy or adding some type of playing strategy to an "if" topic just to give some relevance to the possibility of winning should be a requirement, but it would add to credibility. 

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: March 25, 2008, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

I will sell my two businesses when I win....

No more headaches for me.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

myzeus's avatar - Apollo
      Ohio
      United States
      Member #59677
      March 24, 2008
      78 Posts
      Posted: March 27, 2008, 7:38 am - IP Logged

I would buy a hotel franchise and also invest in apartment complexes. With all the home foreclosures, many people will go into renting an apartment or even a home. I want to physically see my investments. I would not invest in the stock market right now. Just my ideas. :) 

Sandy

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
        mn
        United States
        Member #59040
        March 4, 2008
        276 Posts
        Posted: March 27, 2008, 9:30 am - IP Logged

I would buy a hotel franchise and also invest in apartment complexes. With all the home foreclosures, many people will go into renting an apartment or even a home. I want to physically see my investments. I would not invest in the stock market right now. Just my ideas. :) 

Exactly, real estate, but you know you can do this w/out the lottery win, if you need financing, banks now can give you 107% finance loans,  so you can fix-up the place and rent it out, then when the market gets better sell them. There is tax advantages also when you invest in real estate.

I recommend reading these books:

Rich Dad, Poor Dad (Cash Flow Quadrant, Loopholes of the rich), Robert T. Kiyosaki, Diane Kennedy

Be a real estate millionaire, Dean Graziosi

Flipping Properties, William Bronchick, Robert Dahlstrom

They helped me get started in real estate, maybe they can do the same for you

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
        "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

myzeus's avatar - Apollo
          Ohio
          United States
          Member #59677
          March 24, 2008
          78 Posts
          Posted: March 27, 2008, 9:36 am - IP Logged

Exactly, real estate, but you know you can do this w/out the lottery win, if you need financing, banks now can give you 107% finance loans,  so you can fix-up the place and rent it out, then when the market gets better sell them. There is tax advantages also when you invest in real estate.

I recommend reading these books:

Rich Dad, Poor Dad (Cash Flow Quadrant, Loopholes of the rich), Robert T. Kiyosaki, Diane Kennedy

Be a real estate millionaire, Dean Graziosi

Flipping Properties, William Bronchick, Robert Dahlstrom

They helped me get started in real estate, maybe they can do the same for you

I Agree!

I went through real estate school in Houston Texas and finished with 180 hours but didn't have the money to go ahead to get my state license and at that time it was a "seller's market".

Yes, I know I could get financing now before a lottery win but I am currently bogged down with trying to sell 2 houses that I inherited and homes are not selling very well in Ohio right now. I could do alot more with a lottery win and it would get me out of this so I can move back to Texas.

I think I already have the book "Flipping Properties". Thanks for your recommendations. 

Sandy

mn
            United States
            Member #59040
            March 4, 2008
            276 Posts
            Posted: March 27, 2008, 9:55 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

I went through real estate school in Houston Texas and finished with 180 hours but didn't have the money to go ahead to get my state license and at that time it was a "seller's market".

Yes, I know I could get financing now before a lottery win but I am currently bogged down with trying to sell 2 houses that I inherited and homes are not selling very well in Ohio right now. I could do alot more with a lottery win and it would get me out of this so I can move back to Texas.

I think I already have the book "Flipping Properties". Thanks for your recommendations. 

That's interesting.

Do you use a agent or are you in by yourself?

You are welcome

myzeus's avatar - Apollo
              Ohio
              United States
              Member #59677
              March 24, 2008
              78 Posts
              Posted: March 27, 2008, 9:59 am - IP Logged

That's interesting.

Do you use a agent or are you in by yourself?

You are welcome

I went through 4 agents in 20 months who did not sell 1 house. So now I am doing FSBO. Small town here and the agents seem to be in a clique of their own. I am going to have to sell on my own for sure from now on. Smile

Sandy

mn
                United States
                Member #59040
                March 4, 2008
                276 Posts
                Posted: March 27, 2008, 10:12 am - IP Logged

I went through 4 agents in 20 months who did not sell 1 house. So now I am doing FSBO. Small town here and the agents seem to be in a clique of their own. I am going to have to sell on my own for sure from now on. Smile

Well I don't know who is in Ohio, but I know there are investors that purchase property just for the sole purpose of fixing them up and renting them out, maybe if its allowed you can go to your bank and speak to their REO department and ask who recently purchased property from them, or seek the county records. If your personal finance is stable you can rent your properties and if you cant manage yourself, you can seek a partnership or hire a management company.

I don't know if that helped, I think with a business mentally, I'm always thinking about how to make more money. 

myzeus's avatar - Apollo
                  Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #59677
                  March 24, 2008
                  78 Posts
                  Posted: March 27, 2008, 10:29 am - IP Logged

Well I don't know who is in Ohio, but I know there are investors that purchase property just for the sole purpose of fixing them up and renting them out, maybe if its allowed you can go to your bank and speak to their REO department and ask who recently purchased property from them, or seek the county records. If your personal finance is stable you can rent your properties and if you cant manage yourself, you can seek a partnership or hire a management company.

I don't know if that helped, I think with a business mentally, I'm always thinking about how to make more money. 

Since my houses are my inheritance, I want to get the fair market value for them. Most all of the investors here who have looked at 1 house have all wanted to buy dirt cheap and I will not sell to them dirt cheap. The investors want to make a profit and they forget that I want to make a profit also since that is my inheritance. I will wait and get the fair market value. I do have 1 house rented currently.

So I will be stuck here until the housing market gets better, which will probably be after we get our new democratic president in office. I'll take my time because I want to get the fair market value on my houses. I have already been waiting for 2 years now to sell 1 house and I don't know how long to sell the other house. The housing market is just so bad right now.

It's always nice to chatting with business minded people. I have felt recently like I will be winning the lottery but I don't know when. I just have that feeling of an impending win coming soon.

I know I must be getting a little off topic here, it's not meant to be off topic because I would invest in real estate if I won the lottery, with the hopes the housing market will get much better in the coming future.

Sandy

mn
                    United States
                    Member #59040
                    March 4, 2008
                    276 Posts
                    Posted: March 27, 2008, 10:53 am - IP Logged

It's nice that you have a good business sense, so nobody can manipulate your practices.

In your case I suppose that, that is the best thing to do if you are financially secure and handle the properties. Personally I dont think Presidency has anything to do with it, they have never helped before so it would be difficult to assume that they will help now.

Likewise, except for the lottery part, I couldnt really care less if I won or not, it would be nice to but I don't really need it, that's good to I suppose. Like somebody here always say, money won is twice as good as money earned.

Are you kidding this is the perfect topic for this forum. It is "Using Win To Start a Business", and what business is better than real estate.

myzeus's avatar - Apollo
                      Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #59677
                      March 24, 2008
                      78 Posts
                      Posted: March 27, 2008, 11:25 am - IP Logged

It's nice that you have a good business sense, so nobody can manipulate your practices.

In your case I suppose that, that is the best thing to do if you are financially secure and handle the properties. Personally I dont think Presidency has anything to do with it, they have never helped before so it would be difficult to assume that they will help now.

Likewise, except for the lottery part, I couldnt really care less if I won or not, it would be nice to but I don't really need it, that's good to I suppose. Like somebody here always say, money won is twice as good as money earned.

Are you kidding this is the perfect topic for this forum. It is "Using Win To Start a Business", and what business is better than real estate.

I live on a Veteran's Pension currently since I serviced in the US Army during the Vietnam War. It's a fixed income and not much. I am real estate rich with 2 houses but I am money poor. Wish I was rich! Winning the lottery would make life so much easier and I know most people would feel the same way.

Good, I am glad you think I am still on topic. Yep, real estate is where the money is. Smile

You know the way the housing market is right now, reminds me of the oil bust in Texas, around 1985 or 1986. Then alot of people pulled out of Texas and left a lot of houses behind. I remember that the banks were selling all those houses at decent and cheap prices. If only I had the money back then to invest, I would be richer now because the economy in Texas got better and those houses are worth alot more now. I see our current housing problem getting better like it did in Texas, it's just going to take some time and a new change of government.

Sandy

mn
                        United States
                        Member #59040
                        March 4, 2008
                        276 Posts
                        Posted: March 27, 2008, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

I live on a Veteran's Pension currently since I serviced in the US Army during the Vietnam War. It's a fixed income and not much. I am real estate rich with 2 houses but I am money poor. Wish I was rich! Winning the lottery would make life so much easier and I know most people would feel the same way.

Good, I am glad you think I am still on topic. Yep, real estate is where the money is. Smile

You know the way the housing market is right now, reminds me of the oil bust in Texas, around 1985 or 1986. Then alot of people pulled out of Texas and left a lot of houses behind. I remember that the banks were selling all those houses at decent and cheap prices. If only I had the money back then to invest, I would be richer now because the economy in Texas got better and those houses are worth alot more now. I see our current housing problem getting better like it did in Texas, it's just going to take some time and a new change of government.

Interesting career choice, yeah but if you hang in there and wait for the boom you are going to be rich in no time, you are already ahead of most people. I suppose the win will be easier, but if one can get that way on their own wouldn't they take that opportunity.

Of course, True.

That's why this is the perfect time to invest in real estate, when the market is down, you reap the benefits. Yes it will take time, but if you believe in "Trickle down economics" the economy will stabilize itself w/out government assistance.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                          Gurnee, Illinois
                          United States
                          Member #49731
                          February 12, 2007
                          917 Posts
                          Posted: March 27, 2008, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

Why is it that everyone thinks a democratic president will cure our economic woes?  For that matter, why do anyone think HC or BO will improve our economy IF either of them were elected prez?  FYI BC, our most recent democratic party prez benefited from policy that had been in place from RR and GB, and the stars all alined during the late 90's which is why we think so highly of BC and the democratic party.  But everyone seems to forget that we did experience an economic slowdown in the early 90s...when BC was at the helm.  Folks, recessions are a natural part of the economic cycle, just as the subsequent recovery, boom and slowdown.  No prez, be it democratic, republican, or independent can change the script on that.  Also, I am highly skeptical about the plans either of the democratic candidates have laid out.  I think the person we need in office to jump start the economy is that CEO of the Tennessee lottery...I'm sure she would at least have that state's vote of confidence...NOT!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                            Member #41383
                            June 16, 2006
                            1969 Posts
                            Posted: March 28, 2008, 2:17 am - IP Logged

I would only start a business that I would like, and also one I could fold up at the drop of a hat.

You also need to be more specific on what your definition of 'business' is -   a business to make money, preserve capital, or bequeth money to others ?

And also, what amount of lottery winnings ?   7 mill is a much different scenario that 250 mill.......... 

I love you guys that say you are going to be rich when the housing 'crisis' is over - and compare it to Oil.  Those comparisons could not be further apart, oil is something the World needs, and certain housing markets in certain parts of the country are in small markets not everyone needs.    

Let me know when you see houses going up for world bid on the NYMEX, that would be funny as h#11.