Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Quick Picks or Self Picked Numbers

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 9 years ago by manofmany.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7298 Posts
Posted: March 25, 2008, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

Honestly, I think 90% of purchases are quick picks.

The 70% figure is based total ticket sales. If you're saying 90% of the players get quick picks, you might be low because many people get both.

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
    mn
    United States
    Member #59040
    March 4, 2008
    276 Posts
    Posted: March 25, 2008, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

rubberbandman:

Actually, you probablydon't know this but this type of question has been here a few times andthe answer is that they are pretty much even out.

70% of winning tickets are QP and 70% of winning tickets are SPN

rubberbandman

Where's you get that? This is from rhe Powerball website FAQ page:

WHICH HAS THE BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING: COMPUTER PICKS OR PLAYER PICKS?

About 70% to 80% of purchases are computer picks. About 70% to 80%ofwinners are computer picks. Perhaps just one of those weirdcoincidences?

2.  (quoting you):

Of people buying them 70% QP wins and 70% SPN of wins.

That is why I said they EVEN out.

Both statements can't be right, I'll stick woith the lotteries' statistics, not those from Maven U.

what's "Maven U"?

People who buy lottery tickets that are either QP and/or SPN win the jackpot, do you agree?

Out of those who buy QP, 70% win, do you agree?

Out of those who buy SPN, 70% win, do you agree?

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: March 25, 2008, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

I hadn't seen that actual question yet in my short time reading these forums. Thanks though.

I get frustrated at times when I go in and get 3 QP's and they all have 2 or 3 of the same numbers.

I understand how you feel about getting the same numbers on different lines. I buy quick picks sometimes, but if given the choice, I like to pick my own numbers.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7298 Posts
        Posted: March 25, 2008, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

I understand how you feel about getting the same numbers on different lines. I buy quick picks sometimes, but if given the choice, I like to pick my own numbers.

There are 55 numbers and you could arrange them so each number appears one time on 11 tickets. QPs are random so you might have to buy 100 tickets to have each number one time. It's not unlikely there will be some numbers that appear 3 or 4 times out of 10 QPs and hopefully they will be drawn; if not there is always the next drawing or the next.

Since the odds of winning are exactly the same, there is no disadvantage in putting a group of numbers into an order that guarantees a secondary prize win if your conditions are met; if not there is a always the next drawing or the next.

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
          Albuquerque, New Mexico
          United States
          Member #5128
          June 18, 2004
          377 Posts
          Posted: March 25, 2008, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

I always play a combination Quick Picks (with Powerplay) and my own numbers. 

Statistically, I do not know the odds of winning -- using the above system. Of course, there are people who win, using both methods: it is just a matter of luck and timing.

Finally, when I want to give up and not play anymore, and upon hearing about winners, playing sustains me, giving me hope. Remember, not everyone who plays POWERBALL or MegaMILLIONS the first time, will win. Sometimes, there are people who play for years -- and win. People have won in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s. Now, it depends upon how patient a player is. The lottery officials never guaranteed that a player would not win; they just cannot guarantee when (time) and the age you will win. So, keep on playing and dreaming: remember, only the dead cease to dream! 

See Ya!-- Bye, bye!  When you win, may you glow as brightly as theSun Smiley

mn
            United States
            Member #59040
            March 4, 2008
            276 Posts
            Posted: March 25, 2008, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

I always play a combination Quick Picks (with Powerplay) and my own numbers. 

Statistically, I do not know the odds of winning -- using the above system. Of course, there are people who win, using both methods: it is just a matter of luck and timing.

Finally, when I want to give up and not play anymore, and upon hearing about winners, playing sustains me, giving me hope. Remember, not everyone who plays POWERBALL or MegaMILLIONS the first time, will win. Sometimes, there are people who play for years -- and win. People have won in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s. Now, it depends upon how patient a player is. The lottery officials never guaranteed that a player would not win; they just cannot guarantee when (time) and the age you will win. So, keep on playing and dreaming: remember, only the dead cease to dream! 

Interesting observation, I agree with you, but one quesion, why the color blue?

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
              Albuquerque, New Mexico
              United States
              Member #5128
              June 18, 2004
              377 Posts
              Posted: March 25, 2008, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

Well, blue is one of my favorite colors, and since I rarely smile...I 'look Blue...' depressed, sad..I decided to sign off as Blue.

See Ya!-- Bye, bye!  When you win, may you glow as brightly as theSun Smiley

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10348 Posts
                Posted: March 25, 2008, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

what's "Maven U"?

People who buy lottery tickets that are either QP and/or SPN win the jackpot, do you agree?

Out of those who buy QP, 70% win, do you agree?

Out of those who buy SPN, 70% win, do you agree?

"Maven U. " is an inside joke on discussion boards....

A novelty company used to sell a sweatshirt that had "MAVEN U." over the Lamp of Knowledge, and under the lamp was the school's motto:

OPINION OVER KNOWLEDGE

(Maven has A LOT of grads posting on the internet!)

As for the 70%'s above, no I do not agree at all. You are throwing out some pretty skewed data here, for one thing you're implying 70% of QP and 70% of SPN players are winners.

No lottery would stay in business if that was the case.

I'm going with PB's stats on this, as has been stated from their website, 70 to 80% of tickets sales are QP, as are 70 to 80% of winners.  

I invite you to pick a game, any lottery game, any state, Pick 5, Pick 6, PB, MM, subscribe to the e-mail winners list and track the stats for yourself over a few months, see what you find out.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #56506
                  November 21, 2007
                  6537 Posts
                  Posted: March 25, 2008, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

There are 55 numbers and you could arrange them so each number appears one time on 11 tickets. QPs are random so you might have to buy 100 tickets to have each number one time. It's not unlikely there will be some numbers that appear 3 or 4 times out of 10 QPs and hopefully they will be drawn; if not there is always the next drawing or the next.

Since the odds of winning are exactly the same, there is no disadvantage in putting a group of numbers into an order that guarantees a secondary prize win if your conditions are met; if not there is a always the next drawing or the next.

I know there is no disadvantage. I like to get a variety of different numbers. It's how I feel.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3474 Posts
                    Posted: March 26, 2008, 3:48 am - IP Logged

Actually, you probably don't know this but this type of question has been here a few times and the answer is that they are pretty much even out.

70% of winning tickets are QP and 70% of winning tickets are SPN

You probably don't know that you've just said that QP's and SP's add up to 140%. They probably don't have it on any of the websites, but I can guarantee that QP's and SP's add up to exactly 100%.

Based on all of the available information, the chances of winning are the same for QP's as they are for SP's. I think that's what you mean when you say things even out, but since your numbers are all wrong I'm not sure. The people who run PB have been saying for years that the percentage of winners that are QP's match the percentage of tickets that are QP's, and that QP's account for 70 to 80% of tickets sold.

The percentage of tickets that are winners varies from game to game. For PB, approximately 2.7% of tickets are winners.

mn
                      United States
                      Member #59040
                      March 4, 2008
                      276 Posts
                      Posted: March 26, 2008, 9:29 am - IP Logged

You probably don't know that you've just said that QP's and SP's add up to 140%. They probably don't have it on any of the websites, but I can guarantee that QP's and SP's add up to exactly 100%.

Based on all of the available information, the chances of winning are the same for QP's as they are for SP's. I think that's what you mean when you say things even out, but since your numbers are all wrong I'm not sure. The people who run PB have been saying for years that the percentage of winners that are QP's match the percentage of tickets that are QP's, and that QP's account for 70 to 80% of tickets sold.

The percentage of tickets that are winners varies from game to game. For PB, approximately 2.7% of tickets are winners.

You got jokes haha,

Dude or dudette, CT and I have already been through this, don't get me started again, just read the previous posts on this forum and you'll understand. 

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
                      "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7298 Posts
                        Posted: March 26, 2008, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

I know there is no disadvantage. I like to get a variety of different numbers. It's how I feel.

I was actually agreeing with you. We could wheel 6 numbers using only 1 power or mega ball for $6, we could buy 6 QPs, or we could use 30 different numbers. One might want to put all their eggs in one basket, another wants variety, and the other wants the action.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          5118 Posts
                          Posted: March 26, 2008, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

I play Powerball and Hoosier Lotto every week. I use to pick my numbers but had relatively little success. I'm wondering if Powerball publishes whether the winning tickets are quick picks or self picked numbers?   

WISH we could HELP U friend:

Lottery Post moves >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

UR now seeing many 1000,ooo of people scratch'in there HEAD???

Wish'n>>>Would'a >>>Could'da >>>WON>>>>>>>>>>>>>

moe money$$if "I" played QP's

translation:

You missed the <<<<<BOAT>>>>FACE FACT's >>>>>>>>>

IF U don't <<<<<<<<<<understand........research Lottery Post!!

PEOPLE who :runlottodo!!

PSYKOMO 

United States
                            Member #59720
                            March 25, 2008
                            52 Posts
                            Posted: March 26, 2008, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

Come again?