Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 9:52 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you play an overseas lottery?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 9 years ago by dphillips.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: March 26, 2008, 4:35 am - IP Logged

I still play the UK national lottery. I played when I lived in London and continued to play by subscription after I moved to Australia. I have not won any big prizes yet, but I regularly win 5 and 10 pound prizes. If I win a big prize I'll let you know.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: March 26, 2008, 4:42 am - IP Logged

you say you win 5 and 10 pound prizes?  i wish i could win some money that weighs that much!!

Green laugh

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: March 26, 2008, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

I still play the UK national lottery. I played when I lived in London and continued to play by subscription after I moved to Australia. I have not won any big prizes yet, but I regularly win 5 and 10 pound prizes. If I win a big prize I'll let you know.

I don't play overseas. I only play in one state, unless I am traveling. Good luck to you.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19899 Posts
        Posted: March 26, 2008, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

In my state of Ohio, the games MegaMillions (5/56+1/46), Classic Lotto (6/49), Rolling Cash5 (5/39), Pick3, Pick4 and Keno are all available locally.  That's more than enough games for me to lose more than I can afford or to play for a prize as big as any in the world.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #58528
          February 18, 2008
          710 Posts
          Posted: March 26, 2008, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

I lose more than enough money to American lotterys.I don't see any sense in losing my money to another country's lottery,too.

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
            Kunming
            China
            Member #57910
            January 23, 2008
            3626 Posts
            Posted: March 26, 2008, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

you say you win 5 and 10 pound prizes?  i wish i could win some money that weighs that much!!

Green laugh

That's really funny! Couldn't stop laughing! Good one!

Play to win!

Bondi Junction
              Australia
              Member #57242
              December 24, 2007
              1102 Posts
              Posted: March 26, 2008, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

I don't normally play overseas lotteries, but I'm originally from the UK and know the British National Lottery is above board. I may never win a large prize, but I enjoy the fun of playing. And, as the revenue raised is used for good causes in the UK, I'm helping local communities in the UK. Some of the lottery revenue is being used for the 2012 Olympics in London, so I'm also assisting that.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                Dump Water Florida
                United States
                Member #380
                June 5, 2002
                3112 Posts
                Posted: March 26, 2008, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

I played the Australian 6/45 right up to the last day they allowed U.S. players.   If I lived in Canada  I would still be playing.  2 tickets for an Au dollar and two bonus balls to help you win.  If I won I'd move there so no taxes on the prize.  BobP

Bondi Junction
                  Australia
                  Member #57242
                  December 24, 2007
                  1102 Posts
                  Posted: March 27, 2008, 4:34 am - IP Logged

Bob:

You could play the UK lottery by subscription like I do, buy you do need a UK address to do so.

myturn

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10390 Posts
                    Posted: March 27, 2008, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

I lose more than enough money to American lotterys.I don't see any sense in losing my money to another country's lottery,too.

In a word, taxes, or more precisely, no taxes. At least for residents of those countries.

When I lived in Germany I played the Hessen Lotto (first one I ever played) but here in the U.S. it seems all the offers to play foreign lottos aren't legit.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                      Member #58528
                      February 18, 2008
                      710 Posts
                      Posted: March 27, 2008, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

In a word, taxes, or more precisely, no taxes. At least for residents of those countries.

When I lived in Germany I played the Hessen Lotto (first one I ever played) but here in the U.S. it seems all the offers to play foreign lottos aren't legit.  

I suppose the only way to legally play a foriegn lottery would to be physically in that country.If you were to win,you would probably have to renounce your U.S. citizenship to avoid paying taxes on the win.As long as you are a citizen of the U.S.,you would owe taxes on your winnings.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10390 Posts
                        Posted: March 27, 2008, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Very true. I remember way back when an American couple won the Canadian lottery and Uncle Sam wanted a good portion of it. They said considering that, they would gladly listen to "Oh Canada" at the start of a baseball game.

Even at that, they told they'd have to pay the taxes the moment they stepped back into the U.S.  

As far as I know, we're the only country that taxes gambling winnings.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                          Dump Water Florida
                          United States
                          Member #380
                          June 5, 2002
                          3112 Posts
                          Posted: March 27, 2008, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Very true. I remember way back when an American couple won the Canadian lottery and Uncle Sam wanted a good portion of it. They said considering that, they would gladly listen to "Oh Canada" at the start of a baseball game.

Even at that, they told they'd have to pay the taxes the moment they stepped back into the U.S.  

As far as I know, we're the only country that taxes gambling winnings.  

As I think  you already know, in Australia the tax is in the ticket price, so every player pays the taxes for the winners.  It would be really nice if the U.S. did the same thing, but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.  BobP

United States
                            Member #58528
                            February 18, 2008
                            710 Posts
                            Posted: March 27, 2008, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

As I think  you already know, in Australia the tax is in the ticket price, so every player pays the taxes for the winners.  It would be really nice if the U.S. did the same thing, but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.  BobP

I Agree!

Bondi Junction
                              Australia
                              Member #57242
                              December 24, 2007
                              1102 Posts
                              Posted: March 27, 2008, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

It is easier if you are an overseas Brit, as a UK address is required.

I play by subscription, which is very convenient, I pay monthly by direct debit, again you need a UK bank account to do this. Otherwise, you must pay the full amount up-front. The lottery also credits prizes to my bank account, and emails me that I have won a prize, I have to log-in the find out how much; which is a little exciting. I think for large prizes you need to collect in person. I have only won small prizes so far.

The British government should make it easier for overseas British to play the lottery. The Government gets 12% "Lottery Duty" from every ticket sold. And reading about the recent UK budget, the Treasury needs ever penny it can get hold of.

I bet many thousands of us would like play. We could have a little harmless fun and the government could make extra dosh; plus all the good causes and the Olympics

It would be a win win situation, pardon the pun.