Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 5:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you play an overseas lottery?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 9 years ago by dphillips.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: March 27, 2008, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

I suppose the only way to legally play a foriegn lottery would to be physically in that country.If you were to win,you would probably have to renounce your U.S. citizenship to avoid paying taxes on the win.As long as you are a citizen of the U.S.,you would owe taxes on your winnings.

If you win, the UK lottery allows anonymity so the IRS would never know! Plus, London is a tax haven for Americans. it's a win win!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10388 Posts
    Posted: March 28, 2008, 12:56 am - IP Logged

myturn

It's illegal for Americans to play the Irish Sweepstakes, but when people won, "Uncle" was right their with his hand out.

We have some very goofy laws- being a bookie or a drug dealer are both illegal, but both are required to have a government tax stamp. Nobody does this, but if they are arrested not havig such a stamp is one of the things they are charged with.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
      Gurnee, Illinois
      United States
      Member #49731
      February 12, 2007
      919 Posts
      Posted: March 28, 2008, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

Whenever I next visit London again, I will play that lottery.  It would be so cool to win and collect the prize in pounds!  I really don't care about having to pay taxes in the US on those winnings because as I see it, even 50 percent of 25 million pounds (~50 million USD) is 100 percent more than I currently have right now.  So you guys who hate to pay taxes would let having to share close to 50 percent with some taxing authority keep you from taking a chance to change your life?  I find that incredible when some of those very same people would willingly and freely share with their family and/or friends and in the process incur huge gift taxes.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
        Albuquerque, New Mexico
        United States
        Member #5128
        June 18, 2004
        377 Posts
        Posted: March 29, 2008, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

I can't win the US lottery!  No, I don't play oversees as I'm not sure of the legal issues involved. For some of the oversees lotteries, they're non-taxable. United States -- are you listening?

See Ya!-- Bye, bye!  When you win, may you glow as brightly as theSun Smiley