Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

An Ethical Dilemma...

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 9 years ago by DC81.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Please read the original post before voting.

Take the entire $9 in tickets [ 38 ]  [76.00%]
Take only the $5 in tickets that you put in [ 3 ]  [6.00%]
Contact a store employee [ 4 ]  [8.00%]
Other (Please explain) [ 5 ]  [10.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 50 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
Dump Water Florida
United States
Member #380
June 5, 2002
3112 Posts
Posted: March 26, 2008, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

Some time ago I decided to try not to be so honest I was being stupid about it.  Three weeks ago the store charges us for a cheaper fruit then we were buying the next week we get home and the can of corn we paid for is missing, things kind of balance out. 

You never know what kind of a can of worms you are opening. People come back to a store to return the $5.00 extra the cashier gave them by mistake.  The cashier had replaced the missing $5.00 when counting out the drawer.  The cashier is already 2 times over or short by $5 or more and now 3rd strike loses the job thanks to the honest customer.

I only pick up things that have already been truely abandon by their owners, that's how we got our cats, bastards moved and abandon them.

BobP

myzeus's avatar - Apollo
    Ohio
    United States
    Member #59677
    March 24, 2008
    78 Posts
    Posted: March 27, 2008, 6:32 am - IP Logged

I would take the entire amount. I agree, it would be impossible to trace the last person that used the machine. If you go to a clerk or anyone else, they may take it for themselves, so you would be giving it away. Strange things happen though, maybe it was meant for you to have those extra credits.

Here's something that happened to me and I think my guardians Angels (or spirit guides) had a hand in it. I went to the race track, I told the cashier I wanted a $2 bet on horse number 2. And I thought that's what I was getting. I did not look at the ticket and stuck it in my pocket and I proceeded to watch the race. Well, a long shot came in 1st place and it was horse number 5. I thought I had lost. I looked at my ticket and the cashier had mistakenly given me a $2 bet on horse number 5 instead of horse number 2. I was surprised and that long shot horse number 5 paid off at $35.00. I figured my guardian Angels (spirit guides) could not get through to me so they went through the cashier placing my bet. :)

We all have spirit guides and guardian Angels helping us, just ask for their help and follow your intuition.

~~~"The only real valuable thing is intuition." - Albert Einstein~~~

Sandy

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      51064 Posts
      Posted: March 27, 2008, 7:48 am - IP Logged

How do you know if you have integrity (good moral character): By what you do when you are alone and no one is watching: Do you take what's not yours or do you return it to its' rightful owner?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

myzeus's avatar - Apollo
        Ohio
        United States
        Member #59677
        March 24, 2008
        78 Posts
        Posted: March 27, 2008, 8:23 am - IP Logged

If I could find the rightful owner, I would return it. If you can't find the owner, why give it to someone else who does not own it?

Sandy

United States
          Member #58528
          February 18, 2008
          710 Posts
          Posted: March 27, 2008, 11:56 am - IP Logged

I would take the entire amount. I agree, it would be impossible to trace the last person that used the machine. If you go to a clerk or anyone else, they may take it for themselves, so you would be giving it away. Strange things happen though, maybe it was meant for you to have those extra credits.

Here's something that happened to me and I think my guardians Angels (or spirit guides) had a hand in it. I went to the race track, I told the cashier I wanted a $2 bet on horse number 2. And I thought that's what I was getting. I did not look at the ticket and stuck it in my pocket and I proceeded to watch the race. Well, a long shot came in 1st place and it was horse number 5. I thought I had lost. I looked at my ticket and the cashier had mistakenly given me a $2 bet on horse number 5 instead of horse number 2. I was surprised and that long shot horse number 5 paid off at $35.00. I figured my guardian Angels (spirit guides) could not get through to me so they went through the cashier placing my bet. :)

We all have spirit guides and guardian Angels helping us, just ask for their help and follow your intuition.

~~~"The only real valuable thing is intuition." - Albert Einstein~~~

"We all have spirit guides and guardian Angels helping us, just ask for their help and follow your intuition."

Where might I find these "spirit guides" and "guardian angels"?

I can use their help.

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: March 27, 2008, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

"We all have spirit guides and guardian Angels helping us, just ask for their help and follow your intuition."

Where might I find these "spirit guides" and "guardian angels"?

I can use their help.

Look in the yellow pages. They're right there next to tooth fairies and goblins.

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
              mn
              United States
              Member #59040
              March 4, 2008
              276 Posts
              Posted: March 27, 2008, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

With astronomical odds, technically 4 extra dollars wouldnt benefit that much to your advantage.

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
              "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                Gurnee, Illinois
                United States
                Member #49731
                February 12, 2007
                919 Posts
                Posted: March 27, 2008, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

I highly doubt any store monitors each person who uses such machines, so there is no way one could be certain WHO actually left the extra credits.  Since money is a bearers instrument (except for when it can be distinctly linked to the true owner...i.e. ID in a bag of money, observing a person drop money and not notice it), I would have no problem purchasing 9 QPs. 

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: March 28, 2008, 2:29 am - IP Logged

If the person that was at the machine prior to me was in shouting distance, I would yell at them, and if not, I'd keep all 9 tickets.

I also ask myself what would someone else do if I was at the opposite end of that - if I didn't know to grab all the tickets I had paid for ?   They'd scroo me.... no doubt.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: March 28, 2008, 3:13 am - IP Logged

Some time ago I decided to try not to be so honest I was being stupid about it.  Three weeks ago the store charges us for a cheaper fruit then we were buying the next week we get home and the can of corn we paid for is missing, things kind of balance out. 

You never know what kind of a can of worms you are opening. People come back to a store to return the $5.00 extra the cashier gave them by mistake.  The cashier had replaced the missing $5.00 when counting out the drawer.  The cashier is already 2 times over or short by $5 or more and now 3rd strike loses the job thanks to the honest customer.

I only pick up things that have already been truely abandon by their owners, that's how we got our cats, bastards moved and abandon them.

BobP

You are so right, Bob!  Once I asked for "cash back" when I used my debit card and got too much.  I went back to the store and the cashier said to me "do you know what kind of trouble you just caused?" 

"No good deed goes unpunished."

PS:  Thanks for feeding abandoned animals.

Fibonacci's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                      New York, NY
                      United States
                      Member #39471
                      May 16, 2006
                      2696 Posts
                      Posted: March 28, 2008, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

I don't consider this an ethical "dilemma." Just a matterof doing the decent human thing--you can't keep what's not yours,especially when you know whose it is.

$$$

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: March 28, 2008, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

I don't consider this an ethical "dilemma." Just a matterof doing the decent human thing--you can't keep what's not yours,especially when you know whose it is.

In the example stated, the person did not know who it belonged to.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                          Member #5344
                          June 30, 2004
                          23641 Posts
                          Posted: March 28, 2008, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

In the example stated, the person did not know who it belonged to.

Please read the original post before voting.

You voted for this choiceTake the entire $9 in tickets[ 35 ] [76.09%]
                          Take only the $5 in tickets that you put in[ 3 ] [6.52%]
                          Contact a store employee[ 4 ] [8.70%]
                          Other (Please explain)[ 4 ] [8.70%]
                          Total Valid Votes[ 46 ] 
                          Discarded Votes[ 3 ] 

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

DC81's avatar - batman39
                            MI
                            United States
                            Member #54830
                            August 31, 2007
                            985 Posts
                            Posted: March 28, 2008, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

I believe this falls under the "rules" of "finders keepers". Maybe if you would have won then you could have looked into finding the person and give them their four dollars back. Big Smile

You can't predict random.