Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

do you ever buy lottery based on having a lucky feeling?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 9 years ago by MillionsWanted.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: March 28, 2008, 3:55 am - IP Logged

do you ever buy lottery based on having a lucky feeling or a good instinct that you'll win something?

well i hardly ever buy scratch offs but i had a funny urge to just do it while buying a coke yesterday.i bought one for a dollar and won eight dollars back and took the whole family for a mcdonalds dinner.needless to say my three year old daughter is bugging me to go buy a scratch off so she could have another happy meal tomorrow,lol.

catsrule's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #55084
    September 10, 2007
    347 Posts
    Posted: March 28, 2008, 4:13 am - IP Logged

I had a sense a few times to get scatch offs, 1 time i bought 2 $1.00 tickets and won $40.00 and another time got 10 $1.00 tickets and won $500.00 also another time sensed to get 4 $1.00 tickets and won $100.00. of course over a few months and different scratcher games. I win alittle on scratchers. That's a cute story about your daughter and mcdonalds (lol) my nephew tends to be the same way at times

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
      The Quantum Master
      West Concord, MN
      United States
      Member #21
      December 7, 2001
      3675 Posts
      Posted: March 28, 2008, 4:18 am - IP Logged

I feel lucky every time I buy a ticket.

I'll buy the oddball scratch or non-usual online game once in a while to liven things up a bit.

There's always that chance I might win something, but I have to buy it if I'm going to have a chance at all.

It's fun, but not something I do a lot of.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
      Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
      Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
      Knowledge is Beyond Belief
      Wisdom is Not Censored
      Douglas Paul Smallish
      Jehocifer

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
        Albuquerque, New Mexico
        United States
        Member #5128
        June 18, 2004
        377 Posts
        Posted: March 28, 2008, 5:53 am - IP Logged

Approximately once a year, I will purchase a scratch -- just to test my luck. I am not as lucky as some of the posters here.

However, at our Albertson's grocery store in Albuquerque, a young man played a $20.00 scratch off and won $100,000. He was going to his car in the parking lot, scratched his ticket, and he almost passed out. 

Finally, I just stick to POWERBALL (with powerplay, of course) and hope for the best.

See Ya!-- Bye, bye!  When you win, may you glow as brightly as theSun Smiley

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          CA
          United States
          Member #57222
          December 23, 2007
          587 Posts
          Posted: March 28, 2008, 8:51 am - IP Logged

Yes and no.

I'm not what I consider a "naturally" lucky person.  But I do have some good luck at times, that's why I play.  BUT, a month or so ago, I just happened to go into a store and won $15 off a $1 scratcher, then I started going out of my way to play there,  I seem to always win there-so  thats where I play when I do feel lucky.  The weird thing?  That store is 3 cities away.  There are many  7-11 and Arco's between here and there, not to mention mom an pop liquor stores, where there always seems to be winning copies pasted on the counter, but I seem to win at that tiny mini mart.

On the flip side,  I actually had a dream of a "pick 3" set of numbers.  Now, i don't play "pick 3"  so of course I didn't play It, but I did check the numbers. You guessed it, they hit the following night!

I did have yet another dream of pick 3, and of course I thought I wouldn't miss my chance this time and played them,  well those numbers have NOT hit.  But I won't continue to play pick 3.  I spend enough money on the regular lotto and the $5 scratcher I am playing til the end of March.

"You gotta find me first!

konane's avatar - wallace
            Atlanta, GA
            United States
            Member #1265
            March 13, 2003
            3333 Posts
            Posted: March 28, 2008, 9:53 am - IP Logged

Isn't "feeling lucky" when intuition kicks in to guide in the right direction?  Big Grin Angel

Good luck to everyone!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19830 Posts
              Posted: March 28, 2008, 10:10 am - IP Logged

I always feel lucky when I buy tickets but I'm starting to think I shouldn't trust my feelings. 

The other day I made out tickets for Rolling Cash5 and didn't feel lucky, so I didn't play.  Later after the drawing, I checked my numbers hoping I had saved $10 by not playing and found I would have matched four for $300.  The best I had ever done when I felt lucky was to match 3 for $10 to break even.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                Member #28409
                December 15, 2005
                1198 Posts
                Posted: March 28, 2008, 10:11 am - IP Logged

Isn't "feeling lucky" when intuition kicks in to guide in the right direction?  Big Grin Angel

Yes. 

I don't normally play scratch offs.  That's my hubby's thing.  But, one night we had my oldest daughter with us when I went to buy lotto tickets for MM. I didn't feel so much lucky for me as I did for her.  So I gave her a few dollars to pick some scratch offs and we both scratched them off.  She won 10 dollars and I won 2.  (If you knew how bad I am at scratch offs, you would know that was a big deal for me to get 2 bucks.  And an even bigger deal for her to have won at anything at all that isn't academic!)  I kept some of the money that I got back from cashing them in and have been winning on MM and PB and what I call "penny scratchers" since.  We continued to win that particular night for about an hour just on scratch offs.  I am still holding some of the money from the win of that night, keeping the good feeling with me.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #56506
                  November 21, 2007
                  6537 Posts
                  Posted: March 28, 2008, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

" I always feel lucky when I buy tickets but I'm starting to think I shouldn't trust my feelings."

I feel the same way. Most of the time when I feel lucky, I end up not winning anything. LOL

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                    Member #45970
                    September 1, 2006
                    4763 Posts
                    Posted: March 28, 2008, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

Almost every night when I put in my Pick-3 numbers for the evening, I also play 1 number that I just feel good about, one that has nothing to do with any system I may be playing, and has no logical "reason" for coming out. So far, in the last 2 years I think I have hit "once" on my "lucky number of the day", LOL. So much for luck.......

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                      Gurnee, Illinois
                      United States
                      Member #49731
                      February 12, 2007
                      917 Posts
                      Posted: March 28, 2008, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

It has been my experience that had I "listened" to that pecular feeling I had on several different occasions, I would at worst be a second tier PB/MM winner and at best the jackpot winner of those games...that is, had I blocked all the other things that were happening those days, and really listened AND acted upon those feelings.  Oh well, there will be future drawings and I have learned my lesson several million times over. 

On another note, I do not play scratch off (if) games as you have to be at the particular store that actually has the top prize in the roll, and be at the precise moment that winning ticket comes up for purchase in order to win...otherwise, you are just purchasing worthless paper.  At least with the online game, all I have to do is just hope that the particular combination of 6 numbers beats the 176 million odds to match those numbers drawn...sure the odds are astronomical, but at least I feel that I have a FAIR chance.  Here in Illinois, I scan where the winning scratch if tickets were purchased, and so far only 2 of the places I frequent have ever sold any that were worth at least 50 grand; most of the winners are either in the city, west burbs or downstate.  So I just say no to scratch ifs just like I say NO to lottery pools, because when the day (actually night) comes that my six numbers on my ticket match those drawn, I will be so overjoyed to know that I don't have to go through the routine of notifying anybody else and dealing with the mass hysteria that comes with having won through pooling your resources with other people.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

United States
                        Member #58528
                        February 18, 2008
                        710 Posts
                        Posted: March 28, 2008, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

Sure,I sometimes feel lucky.Sometimes I am & sometimes I ain't.

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
                          N.C.
                          United States
                          Member #56005
                          October 28, 2007
                          832 Posts
                          Posted: March 29, 2008, 10:01 am - IP Logged

I do at times buy a pick 3 when I get a hunch...but I never play more than I am budgeted.

I avoid giving in to every urge that I have, regardless of how lucky I'm feeling. I believe that this is one of the behavioral patterns that lead to gambling addictions.

just me....

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10353 Posts
                            Posted: March 29, 2008, 10:44 am - IP Logged

OldSChoolPA

"On another note, I do not play scratch off (if) games as you have to beat the particular store that actually has the top prize in the roll,and be at the precise moment that winning ticket comes up for purchasein order to win...otherwise, you are just purchasing worthless paper. "

Given that 70 to 80% of MM sales are QPs as are 70 to 80% of the winners, it's the same thing as that underlined above - you have to be at the terminal the exact moment it spits out what turns out to be the winner. As the late Kurt Vonnegut Jr. said often in his books, "That moment in time was just structured that way."

Everyone, re: luck

Some people are just lucker than others, it's that simple. Some people can play dream numbers, birthdays, etc..and never hit anything, while someone else standing in line notices a number off of a upc code pr soemthing, plays it, and wins. 

It's just the Luck Factor.  The next time you go to play, whether it be scratch offs or a lotto ticket, just think of the lottery terminal or scratcher machine saying, "Do you feel lucky? Go ahead punk, make my day!"

Green laugh

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Baton Rouge, LA
                              United States
                              Member #4602
                              May 7, 2004
                              699 Posts
                              Posted: March 29, 2008, 10:51 am - IP Logged

I've done that a few times, but it didn't pan out.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"