$31 million lottery claimed by anonymous winner

Apr 14, 2008, 12:12 pm (23 comments)

California Lottery

And the winner of a $31 million California SuperLotto Plus prize is ... anonymous.

The woman who found out Thursday that she had the winning California SuperLotto Plus ticket has claimed the prize. But she told lottery officials she doesn't want her name publicized.
Hers is the fourth-largest single-ticket jackpot awarded in San Diego.

A lottery spokeswoman quoted the winner as saying, in a statement released last night, "I plan to help my family, do home improvements and maybe buy an RV because my husband and I love road trips."

In case she and her husband are interested, Featherlite Luxury Coaches of Florida touted its $2.5 million RV, with marble steps, original art and SubZero refrigerator, as the world's most expensive in 2006.

The woman bought her ticket, with numbers 5, 17, 23, 42, 43 and Mega number 19, on Monday at Seafood City Supermarket on Mira Mesa Boulevard.

The winning numbers were announced Wednesday night.

"My husband's friend told us to check our tickets because he knew that the winning ticket was sold at the supermarket where we do our shopping," the winner told lottery spokeswoman Cathy Doyle Johnston.

When her husband arrived home Thursday, they checked the lottery Web site.

"I started jumping and hitting my husband," the woman said. "He had to get me a glass of water because I was shaking."

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

PartyPartyParty

well I wish them tons of luck ......

Drivedabizness

I think being able to remain anonymous is a relatively new option in CA.

I'm glad to see it - if you are dreaming of winning big it detracts from the dream if you know the hounding you will take if you do win.

time*treat's avatartime*treat

newly rich and already battering her husband Disapprove ... Clown   

JustFrozen's avatarJustFrozen

Quote: Originally posted by Drivedabizness on Apr 14, 2008

I think being able to remain anonymous is a relatively new option in CA.

I'm glad to see it - if you are dreaming of winning big it detracts from the dream if you know the hounding you will take if you do win.

Yeah, and it seems to be happening a lot lately

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

" Featherlite Luxury Coaches of Florida touted its $2.5 million RV, with marble steps, original art and SubZero refrigerator, as the world's most expensive in 2006. "

Puts a whole new meaning to the term "trailer trash." Big Grin

Todd's avatarTodd

I just love the last line in the story:

"I started jumping and hitting my husband," the woman said.

(emphasis added, of course)

__   __   __   __   __   __   __   __   __   __   __   __   __   __   

So, here's a re-enactment of the big win:

See Ya! Husband: "Hi Honey, I'm home!"
Type Wife: "Oh good, let's check the lottery results on Lottery Post."
Hyper Husband: "WE WON!!"
Bash Wife: "WE WON!!"

Big Grin  Congrats to the happy couple!

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

WOW!   WTG!  $31 million is a life changer!  From rags to riches!  Smart lady too.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Congrats to the winners! I wonder if the winner could have been our own lottocalgal. Wink

One2Adore's avatarOne2Adore

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Apr 14, 2008

Congrats to the winners! I wonder if the winner could have been our own lottocalgal. Wink

We'll know if we never hear from her again.  LOL

dingo's avatardingo

this winning actually only $15 Millions in cash opion after tax right?

I want to have a nice home with 4 rooms in Redwood City, driving an Audi A6.

I only won $2 in this draw. Still it's 100% on return from the investment of $1.

fwlawrence's avatarfwlawrence

Quote: Originally posted by JackpotWanna on Apr 14, 2008

WOW!   WTG!  $31 million is a life changer!  From rags to riches!  Smart lady too.

Hopefully they won't go from riches to rags like a few others.

dphillips's avatardphillips

Just in time for that...birthday, anniversary, wedding, communion, confirmation, graduation...just fill in the missing _______ (blank).

Anyway, congratulations to the lucky couple.

Piaceri

Yay! Congrats to the lucky couple. May they live long and happy, and spend wisely. Dance

JWBlue

It's good to see California is sensible in allowing lottery winners to be anonymous.  California is usually ahead of the curve with law making.

lottocalgal's avatarlottocalgal

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Apr 14, 2008

Hey TSC,

I'm still here.

Didnt win that $31 million but waiting for my "Shot at the Pot". San Diego and LA counties always win.  I guess its because  the population for those counties are huge and more tickets are purchased.  I  think the next time I visit LA county, I will purchase about 3 weeks worth of quick picks or whatever the limit is.

But Im still here, with my tickets, my lucky gemstones and a dream.

"You gotta Find Me First!"

DC81's avatarDC81

Smart people, but hopefully they're also smart on the financial side and not buying something like a two million dollar RV, heh. Can you imagine what the insurance on that thing has to be? Skeptical

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by DC81 on Apr 14, 2008

Smart people, but hopefully they're also smart on the financial side and not buying something like a two million dollar RV, heh. Can you imagine what the insurance on that thing has to be? Skeptical

Crazy 

it amazes me at times how many ways one can blow a million dollars in one shot

JordanT1021's avatarJordanT1021

i would like to be anonymous if i won. i say it is crap that you have to put your name out there if you win.

BevsPicks2

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Apr 14, 2008

" Featherlite Luxury Coaches of Florida touted its $2.5 million RV, with marble steps, original art and SubZero refrigerator, as the world's most expensive in 2006. "

Puts a whole new meaning to the term "trailer trash." Big Grin

An RV...especially one of that magnitude is in no way shape or form comparable to "trailer trash." sheesh!

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

BevsPicks2 - Did you take that the wrong way?  I don't understand your comment.   I was being facetious, which is why I used the emoticon.

Don't want to dwell on this,  but when you wrote "sheesh" I thought you were reacting to something you thought was a put down of people who live in RVs or mobile homes.  Anyone who has read my posts here knows I lived in a trailer park for many years and I hate the word "trash" referring to any human beings. 

*(unless they really are scum, which has nothing to do with income level) 

mylollipop's avatarmylollipop

This should be an option in all winnings.  To verify eligibility to work in the US, the employer has to have two (2) documents on their list (The I-9).  is th I-9 information available to the public?  Do they need to know it.  Only Lotto OFficials need to verify that the winner was a legitimate entity.  I STill do not buy into the reasons states claim that the public needs to know name, city, stae of residence, etc.

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

there's no way i would spend that much on an RV, especially with the price of gas and only winning a 32 mil jackpot.

MeFirstYouLast

Quote: Originally posted by GamerMom on Apr 24, 2008

there's no way i would spend that much on an RV, especially with the price of gas and only winning a 32 mil jackpot.

I agree with you, however it isn't my money to spend.  I think it is silly to win three hundred million dollars, and best enjoyment you you can come up with is a four-door pickup, or a tractor with brakes.  It makes you if some people make any plans to win, other then to win.  They appear have to idea of the value of money, or what it means.

On the other side of the fence.  When you win the lottery, or some other source of huge amounts of dollars, the bottom line is: do whatever you want, where ever you want.  There is no sense in winning millions and not making yourself happy as the number one goal.  Be it a used RV or three year-old pickup!  You win, you choose.  Spend it all if you want. Save it all if you want. Go half-and-half.  It is now your money. It belongs to no one else.  The rest are wishes and hopers. You have to gold. Make the rules! Just try not to personally injure or kill some one in the process.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story