Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won a JP the LAST thing you would do:

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 9 years ago by DC81.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

What would you do last, if at all:

Let my ex know [ 6 ]  [10.53%]
Let my "current" know! [ 2 ]  [3.51%]
Take calls from old girlfriends / boyfriends [ 1 ]  [1.75%]
Do anything construed as "flash" [ 4 ]  [7.02%]
Flaunt it [ 14 ]  [24.56%]
Tell any lawyer! [ 1 ]  [1.75%]
Post it here! [ 4 ]  [7.02%]
Stay put (too hard to be anonymous) [ 6 ]  [10.53%]
Buy a Ferrari [ 9 ]  [15.79%]
Other - tell us... [ 10 ]  [17.54%]
Total Valid Votes [ 57 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Timmer692002's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg
Shelby Twp,MI
United States
Member #1883
July 19, 2003
290 Posts
Posted: April 16, 2008, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

I'd do nothing special to call attention to me. 

Telling people or going on an extravegant spending spree on calls for trouble!

MARRIAGE the only WAR were it's okay to sleep with the enemy!!!

Better single than SORRY!!

Marriage - the LAST decision a man can make! Dead

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7322 Posts
    Posted: April 16, 2008, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

We've had plenty of what you would do if you win discussions, how about a last thing you would do poll?

Have fun, expound if you want.

In most of the "what would you do" discussions there is always somebody speaking in absolutes as if their ideas are written in stone even thought they've never experienced winning a jackpot. I doubt previous jackpot winners have a hot line and are available for question so the next best thing is the lottery commission that has dealt with multiple jackpot winners. At some point in time, the winner will have to validate the ticket, the state lottery has the home court advantage, sets the ground rules, and hiring an army of lawyers, accountants, and financial advisers to accompany them will change next to nothing.

The last big Mega Millions winner from Georgia allowed the lottery to give out his personal information before he validated the ticket. I might hold a press conference after all the necessary paper work was done, but I wouldn't want the news media knocking at my door before that. The Michigan winner did wait until the after validating the ticket, but he made public promises that I would never make.

Most us do have experience in winning or knowing people that have won jackpots under $10,000 so I voted for flaunting. Promises to help neighbors or giving fellow employees $1 million might sound like a nice thing to say until they realize the number of neighbors and co-workers they have and majority are excluded from their list.

Interesting topic!

Pinkpansies's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
      Member #58857
      February 27, 2008
      112 Posts
      Posted: April 16, 2008, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't flaunt it.  Why?  Because I wouldn't want to be accosted whenever I go to buy something at the store.  If I did decide to flaunt it a little bit then I would do it in a foreign country, with no news reporters, and no extradition treaty with the US.  That way after all the flak I could fly home and settle back into blissful anonymity. 

(As an aside what I would do before I claimed the jackpot since I live in a state where you can't remain anonymous and they won't let you claim through a trust or anything.  Move to another city, change my name, change my appearance as much as I could without having to resort to plastic surgery.  Hire a good attorney, have them come along.  They'd do all the talking, I'd keep quiet.  Once it was done and over with I'd hire an actress that looked a lot like me in changed appearance and her whole job would be to play duck from the reporters for about six months, meanwhile I'm off somewhere else with nobody the wiser)

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
        Member #41383
        June 16, 2006
        1969 Posts
        Posted: April 17, 2008, 2:31 am - IP Logged

ALL of you worry too much.

You don't want anyone to know ?

You won't 'flaunt' it ??

You don't have to buy a Ferrari to be 'flaunting' it, your mannerisms WILL change, and you won't even be thinking about it.  You will quit your job, upgrade your house - new siding, carpet, furniture, entertainment center, etc., buy a new car, buy new 'name brand' clothes, go on extended vacations, your friends and neighbors WILL know - soon enough.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
          Member #9517
          December 10, 2004
          1272 Posts
          Posted: April 17, 2008, 7:30 am - IP Logged

ALL of you worry too much.

You don't want anyone to know ?

You won't 'flaunt' it ??

You don't have to buy a Ferrari to be 'flaunting' it, your mannerisms WILL change, and you won't even be thinking about it.  You will quit your job, upgrade your house - new siding, carpet, furniture, entertainment center, etc., buy a new car, buy new 'name brand' clothes, go on extended vacations, your friends and neighbors WILL know - soon enough.

As many have mentioned in this thread it's best to move to another neighbourhood or even another city. If you move to a rich neighbourhood you won't be noticed that much.

But seriously, let's win first and then worry.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
            Member #28409
            December 15, 2005
            1198 Posts
            Posted: April 17, 2008, 7:39 am - IP Logged

As many have mentioned in this thread it's best to move to another neighbourhood or even another city. If you move to a rich neighbourhood you won't be noticed that much.

But seriously, let's win first and then worry.

I Agree!

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
              Member #4121
              March 23, 2004
              817 Posts
              Posted: April 17, 2008, 7:39 am - IP Logged

Hop a plane to vegas with a suit case filled with cash!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                Texas
                United States
                Member #55889
                October 23, 2007
                5615 Posts
                Posted: April 17, 2008, 8:05 am - IP Logged

I used to sell furniture and so many stores here closed because of the housing market.   I can certainly relate to your comment!

Mrs. Jones:  You've been very helpful.   If I order that chair, when do you estimate it will be delivered?

Nancy:  We're currently out of stock, but I'll call the manufacturer. Just a minute. I'll be right back.

Factory Rep:  You'll have it in 4 weeks. You have my word.

Nancy:  The factory said it will be delivered in about 8 weeks. 

Mrs. Jones:  Well, I didn't want to wait 2 months, but I really want that chair and you've done an excellent job.  

Manager:   You could have lost the sale.   Next time if it's scheduled to be here in 4 weeks, then you just say it'll be here in 4 weeks.  That's what the factory rep said and it's it our computer!  Grrrrr. 

Nancy:  I'm just trying to be careful so she isn't upset if it's a few weeks late.

(12 weeks later)

Mrs. Jones:  Where the *&*^% is my chair?  You keep telling me it's scheduled to arrive any day.

Nancy:  I sincerely apologize, Mrs. Jones. As you know, I've called & followed up every week, and I'm doing all I can to expedite delivery. It's on a truck and will be arriving in FL any day now.

Nancy to factory rep:  I'm checking again on order #PB7654XY I ordered 12 weeks ago.

Factory rep:  Our computer shows that it left 10 days ago, so you should see it on your dock Tues. 

Nancy on Tues (her day off) to manager:  Please make sure the chair Mrs. Jones ordered is scheduled for delivery as soon as it's unloaded from the truck.  It's arriving today.  I'm in the middle of a colonoscopy, but I want to make sure nothing goes wrong since it was supposed to arrive 8 weeks ago. I'm bending over backwards to get this out.

Manager:  I already checked and it will be here on Friday.  Just relax.

(16 weeks later)

Nancy calls factory:  Where is order #PB7654XY I ordered 4 months ago?  It was supposed to be delivered to our warehouse several times and the delivery keeps getting pushed back.

Rep at factory:  It will go into production tomorrow.

chair finally arrives in 5 months

Manager:  Our delivery guys got to the Jones house and unfortunately they dropped the chair, breaking off one of the legs.  You'll have to re-order the chair.

Mrs. Jones:  You are worthless.  You don't deserve to exist.  Without that chair, there's no reason for me to live and it's all your fault.

Store Manager:  Why the f*** did you tell the customer she'd have her chair in 8 weeks?

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not the ONLY ONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCED THIS????????? Right down to the colonoscopy.....

Actually, I haven't had a sale quite that bad, but it is amazing how there are people out there who think I am GOD and can wave my hand and poof.... there is your furniture. I have made it a habit to tell customers that I am pretty anal about checking my orders every week, just understand that doesn't mean they will get it faster. It just means I want there asap so I can get paid. That usually makes them smile.

Sorry this got off track from lottery.

Honduras
                  Member #20982
                  August 29, 2005
                  4715 Posts
                  Posted: April 18, 2008, 12:58 am - IP Logged

The last thing i will buy if i won the Jackpot is a Lamborghini....And by last i mean something i will not buy...I think if people wanted to buy themselves a lamborghini, they should buy themselves a buggatti Veyron...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovNkwiHJCIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEL5ABddZ0k&NR=1

talking about DRIVING a NASA space shuttle...

Honduras
                    Member #20982
                    August 29, 2005
                    4715 Posts
                    Posted: April 18, 2008, 1:43 am - IP Logged

The last thing i will buy if i won the Jackpot is a Lamborghini....And by last i mean something i will not buy...I think if people wanted to buy themselves a lamborghini, they should buy themselves a buggatti Veyron...

But better than that is finding the holy Grail of Pick3 and Pick4, a way to crack them...

And having a decomissioned submarine with mapping technology like that of Nasa weather Sattelites mapping every corner of the oceans for lost treasures on the bottom of the ocean..

chippie's avatar - Lottery-064.jpg

Bahamas
                      Member #31284
                      January 27, 2006
                      8962 Posts
                      Posted: April 30, 2008, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

sleep

DC81's avatar - batman39
                        MI
                        United States
                        Member #54830
                        August 31, 2007
                        985 Posts
                        Posted: April 30, 2008, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

Eek That's not even the fastest street legal car anymore either. One price I saw was 1.2 million for it and you can use a full tank of gas in only 12 minutes. For "only" about half that you can get the SSC Aero which is the new record holder. There's only 24 apparently being made though.

http://www.cartype.com/page.cfm?id=1886&alph=all&dec=ALL

Not the kind of vehicle I'd be comfortable with driving in or around public areas, just imagine the cost of insurance! Good for attention grabbing I guess, you're certainly not going to be attaining those speeds on public roads (one pot hole and you're likely dead), especially in the US or just Michigan.

You can't predict random.

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: April 30, 2008, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

The last thing I would do is buy another lottery ticket.

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
                            Member #60535
                            April 21, 2008
                            460 Posts
                            Posted: April 30, 2008, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

well I chose not to do anything flashy but actually the last thing I would do, now that I think about it, is take my kids with me to claim my ticket or hold press conferences that weren't required of me.  I think some crazy people out there would love to hold a rich lottery winner's kid for ransom.  I couldn't bear it.

I would buy a large home in another city, though. I'm sure that can be misconstrued as being flashy but after spending years in townhouses and apartments the first thing I want when I win is SPACE.  And definitely staying in my current neighborhood would not be an option, too much small-town noseyness to be a millionare here.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                              Member #4121
                              March 23, 2004
                              817 Posts
                              Posted: April 30, 2008, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

Start day trading in risky stocks.