Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Million Lottery Group

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 9 years ago by jmill1948.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
jmill1948's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
colonial heights
United States
Member #31712
February 2, 2006
12264 Posts
Posted: April 19, 2008, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone thought of trying to start a lottery group for the mega million........I would be real interested in doing so.im sure there would have to be some contracts drawn up and a large enough group of participants to make it profitable.....maybe $20.00 a week and we have several persons purchasing tickects in different states.......Im guessing we would need at least 50 participants.........that would give us a thousand to play during the week .......500 a game?? any suggestions or idea?? I hope im not breaking any rules here or any laws........this could be a profitable venture but we could also loose some bucks..........think about it                      jamesUS Flag

I Agree!                          Mail For You                            No Pity!                       Dance

Ok         lets get the party started

Pogo's avatar - wfl
    NC
    United States
    Member #29378
    January 1, 2006
    552 Posts
    Posted: April 19, 2008, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

I'd be interested, but I can't get to VA once a week :-(

Sounds like a pretty good idea though - Good Luck, Pogo

colonial heights
      United States
      Member #31712
      February 2, 2006
      12264 Posts
      Posted: April 19, 2008, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

I'd be interested, but I can't get to VA once a week :-(

Sounds like a pretty good idea though - Good Luck, Pogo

we would have to have some sort of arrangement pick some people from differnt states to collect the money from others  via us mail......say if we had 5 chosen buyer send the mthe initial deposit of 1000.00 divided by 5=200so if everyone is putting up 20.00 then 10 people wouls send to one of the five chosen......after the initial delivery of money we could start playing and maybe just have one of the five purchase the first 100 tickets.and then go around to each othe thremaining holders..and back to the beginning im sure there is some wway we could do this......have any ideas how to move the money to the buyers i guess is where to start.......thanks for the interest................james

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19827 Posts
        Posted: April 19, 2008, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

This kind of pool has been suggested before and the problems were the same as getting 50 people who work together and see each other every day to join one not to mention the additional problems of sending money to someone you've never met or know.  Even among people who see each other every day, pool fever only exists when the jackpots get big and the rest of the time they have little or no interest at all.  Besides $20 per week for 50 members is a $50,000+ per year business and I don't see that happening from LP members.

Good luck on your dream.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: April 19, 2008, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

I agree with RJOh. It's hard enough dealing with a lottery pool when you actually interact with those people on a daily basis, let alone a bunch of strangers on the internet. I for one would never do it. I won't even join pools with friends or co-workers so there is no way I would join an online one. However, there is nothing stoping you from trying. Good luck!

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Posted: April 20, 2008, 1:32 am - IP Logged

"a large enough group of participants to make it profitable"

Besides the slightly problematic idea of sending money to some stranger on the internet, perhaps you can tell us how you expect this large group to make a profit instead of just lose a larger amount of money.

colonial heights
              United States
              Member #31712
              February 2, 2006
              12264 Posts
              Posted: April 20, 2008, 8:05 am - IP Logged

"a large enough group of participants to make it profitable"

Besides the slightly problematic idea of sending money to some stranger on the internet, perhaps you can tell us how you expect this large group to make a profit instead of just lose a larger amount of money.

I appreciate all the interest even the negative......these are all problems that we will have to work out......even to make it profitable we will all have to come to some agreement and as I said before we will need several buyers to purchase the tickets .......and it might be a good idea to wait and purchase at times when the lottery reaches say 50 million...Im just trying to see if this is possible because the more chances we have on a game the better our odds.........any ideas are greatly appreciated....................jamesUS Flag

colonial heights
                United States
                Member #31712
                February 2, 2006
                12264 Posts
                Posted: April 21, 2008, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

some very good ideas.............maybe we could get several persons to hold the money I would feel much safer.......not that anyone would take any but things do happen..just a backup.............lets keep this thread going  I now have 6 members that would like to join the group.wwhen we get a few more i will see about getting the ball rolling..............keep it up      james

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                  Member #91
                  January 19, 2002
                  11931 Posts
                  Posted: April 21, 2008, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

You have to start with a basic set of rules and guidelines...no one is ever going to do anything if one person just says "hey lets start a pool"...what are the rules?  Check, cash, money order, credit card ?,,,no cash no ticket policy,,,who controls the names?  how do I know you got my payment, are you just going with quick picks out of one city,,,you have to keep in contact with all the players, email reciept confirmations of moneys sent, send confirmation of tickets bought... 

You don't need to wait till you have 50 people in the pot,,,start off small 10 maybe,,,see how that works,  i can tell you that just by doing what I questioned above,  who ever volunteers to head this off, better be retired cause there is alot of work involved in this,,,and what is that person going to get for doing all the work...monitary payment, an extra slice of the jackpot....and what about their expenses for doing all of this running around, setting up bank accounts and deposits and withdrawls ....is there a back up plan in case this person gets sick and cannot do it.....

Sorry this does not look like it can take off....you might want to start with five volunteers and see how that works..... 

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

colonial heights
                    United States
                    Member #31712
                    February 2, 2006
                    12264 Posts
                    Posted: April 21, 2008, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

You have to start with a basic set of rules and guidelines...no one is ever going to do anything if one person just says "hey lets start a pool"...what are the rules?  Check, cash, money order, credit card ?,,,no cash no ticket policy,,,who controls the names?  how do I know you got my payment, are you just going with quick picks out of one city,,,you have to keep in contact with all the players, email reciept confirmations of moneys sent, send confirmation of tickets bought... 

You don't need to wait till you have 50 people in the pot,,,start off small 10 maybe,,,see how that works,  i can tell you that just by doing what I questioned above,  who ever volunteers to head this off, better be retired cause there is alot of work involved in this,,,and what is that person going to get for doing all the work...monitary payment, an extra slice of the jackpot....and what about their expenses for doing all of this running around, setting up bank accounts and deposits and withdrawls ....is there a back up plan in case this person gets sick and cannot do it.....

Sorry this does not look like it can take off....you might want to start with five volunteers and see how that works..... 

you could be very right........see i didnt think of all that it may be better to start small         what you think group?Hurray!

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                      A long and winding road
                      United States
                      Member #17084
                      June 10, 2005
                      4526 Posts
                      Posted: April 22, 2008, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

My suggestion is to consult a lawyer. I mean that sincerely. The moment you create a group that plays across state lines , you are running the risk of *gaming* out of state or out of territory. Thus why some sites that allow folks to buy tickets make strict proclaimations . 

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Hans's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                        Monte Carlo
                        France
                        Member #55589
                        October 9, 2007
                        1181 Posts
                        Posted: April 22, 2008, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

My suggestion is to consult a lawyer. I mean that sincerely. The moment you create a group that plays across state lines , you are running the risk of *gaming* out of state or out of territory. Thus why some sites that allow folks to buy tickets make strict proclaimations . 

To really succeed in a MM or PB lotterypool,at least 1 million is required..Maybe each LP member plays 20 dollars and won 100 million..

Strive to predict 8 tickets for 12 numbers with Max ROI for Pick6!

Fort Stewart Georgia
                          United States
                          Member #57297
                          December 31, 2007
                          18 Posts
                          Posted: April 22, 2008, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

I would be interested. I am doing this sort of thing now with two of my friends. Two of us live in different parts of Georgia and one lives in California. We each play 10.00 on Tuesday and Friday. We have not had much luck yet..but we are hanging tough.

Nirvona Big Smile

wyoming, michigan
                            United States
                            Member #53058
                            June 22, 2007
                            637 Posts
                            Posted: April 22, 2008, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

Well i think the idea is very promising and i for one would really like to be a member of pb and or mm.  God bless and good luck.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19827 Posts
                              Posted: April 22, 2008, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

I've read about such groups and the problem is they charge a hefty fee for their services and it's never clear the number of players in a group regardless of the number of ticket bought.  When you play with a bunch of people you know, you know every dollar goes toward buying tickets.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking