Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Your own personal "supercomputer" for number crunching?

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 9 years ago by tntea.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
Member #9517
December 10, 2004
1272 Posts
Posted: April 23, 2008, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

I remember reading a post about creating your own personal supercomputer on this forum some time ago.

You can't get any closer than this I guess: Intels new Skulltrail plattform

Possibly you can connect several of these together to create a cluster and get even more computing power.

Norway
    Member #9517
    December 10, 2004
    1272 Posts
    Posted: April 23, 2008, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

Alternatively you can buy this one and connect to your standard PC: NVIDIA Tesla D780 Deskside Supercomputer

Honduras
      Member #20982
      August 29, 2005
      4715 Posts
      Posted: April 23, 2008, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

Thanks good to know...Can this computer be considered a semi-supercomputer or that label is not correct...

Norway
        Member #9517
        December 10, 2004
        1272 Posts
        Posted: April 23, 2008, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

Thanks good to know...Can this computer be considered a semi-supercomputer or that label is not correct...

The label "personal supercomputer" is in regular use on the web, while semi-supercomputer is not.

These cheap "personal supercomputers" are comparable to real supercomputers available on the market 15 years ago.

Always considered buying or making my own "personal supercomputer", but until now has thought it was too expensive. Armari Ltd. got some overclocked workstations they compare to supercomputers, including a Skulltrail version (the one with QX9775 processors).

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: April 24, 2008, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

What you cannot afford in hardware, you can make up for with the right use of your software. Idea

The supercomputer of today is the desktop of tomorrow.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
            Tx
            United States
            Member #4570
            May 4, 2004
            5180 Posts
            Posted: April 25, 2008, 1:02 am - IP Logged

Prediction logic is everything.

Without it a Pc is just a kind of paper weight.

It is not the computer that gets the number, but the right prediction logic.

There are many possible prediction logics, some are better in some way(s) than others.

Some are more accurate and some are less, some produce more numbers to be played and some produce less, you have to balance both, the best would be a logic that is more accurate and that produces fewer numbers than other prediction logics.

Some stuff can't be done just by hand, so a program migt be needed.

A super computer can be of help if programed rigth, a regular computer can also help if programed rigth, but the super computer could help more if programed right.

The program's code is everything and not the power of the Pc, the speed is only second to the right code and no good by itself.

A computer and a super computer are wasted without the right code.

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: April 25, 2008, 1:15 am - IP Logged

I agree is the right program...The key is in the right program...But what i don't agree is that there is 1 sole right program...There might be programs that may not be number 1 but maybe number 5 or 6...Those used with a supercomputers can be of help for further research...I believe in having like 30 programms or perhaps 50 programs all doing research on different avenues...You see there is several Angles that you can tackle the lottery...Also something not many people know is that, each lottery has to be tackled differently and has its way of been tackled...

I also believe that despite that there might be a superprogram for 1 lotto, there may be also 10 also good for that lottery but tackling that lotto by different angles...And winning is not everything but research, exploratorive research so that you could tell the world where not to go or where not to explore, what avenues lead to a dead end and stuff...

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19824 Posts
                Posted: April 25, 2008, 1:53 am - IP Logged

"The supercomputer of today is the desktop of tomorrow."

"The desktop of today would have been a super computer 30 years ago."  And yet today there are still lottery players using paper and pencil to predict the next winning numbers while they continue to wait for a personal supercomputer to come along to do it better.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                  Tx
                  United States
                  Member #4570
                  May 4, 2004
                  5180 Posts
                  Posted: April 25, 2008, 2:02 am - IP Logged

As I said:

There are many possible prediction logics, some just would be better in some way(s) than others.

----------

How to develop prediction logics?

By research of course.

First you look at the draws then think and then do some stats work by hand, then study and think some more, then if you can make programs you make some research programs (Tools) based upon the ideas that you got when you took a look at the draws and made some work by hand amd looked at your workouts.

Then you make some more reseach software based upon the ideas that you got from the findings of the first reseach software.

You keep on getting ideas as you find and study stats and keep on fine tunning the reseach software.

Then based upon your findings you think out possible prediction logics.

Then you test out those prediction logics and see which work best.

That gives you more ideas and you test them out, then you try to develop even better prediction logics, then you test them out.

You keep on doing that untill you find the best possible prediction logic that you can come out with.

While doing the above you also make the research software better and better.

In the end you make the prediction program based upon your best prediction logic.

--------

The above is not a fact and even maybe not right, just some quick ideas.

I don't make programs so I really would not know for sure.

----------

For easier games such as the pick 3, a person might make do with hand workouts, make do perhaps, but perhaps would do even better with a program.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8360 Posts
                    Posted: April 25, 2008, 2:02 am - IP Logged

Use your brain to predict the numbers it is far superior to the PC and much faster.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19824 Posts
                      Posted: April 25, 2008, 5:14 am - IP Logged

Use your brain to predict the numbers it is far superior to the PC and much faster.

Using a PC doesn't mean you don't have to use your brain, someone has to think up the logic to predict a winner and then write the instructions for a computer to follow.

A computer doesn't have a brain to do the thinking but when it comes to following instructions and crunching numbers it's superior and faster than the average brain.   

Evil Looking       

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                        Wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #1303
                        March 27, 2003
                        1508 Posts
                        Posted: April 25, 2008, 7:12 am - IP Logged

"The supercomputer of today is the desktop of tomorrow."

"The desktop of today would have been a super computer 30 years ago."  And yet today there are still lottery players using paper and pencil to predict the next winning numbers while they continue to wait for a personal supercomputer to come along to do it better.

And then of course are the players that buy a QP and hit the jackpot. They seem to do as well as those trying to predict, supercomputer or not.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

United States
                          Member #13130
                          March 30, 2005
                          2171 Posts
                          Posted: April 25, 2008, 7:48 am - IP Logged

I agree is the right program...The key is in the right program...But what i don't agree is that there is 1 sole right program...There might be programs that may not be number 1 but maybe number 5 or 6...Those used with a supercomputers can be of help for further research...I believe in having like 30 programms or perhaps 50 programs all doing research on different avenues...You see there is several Angles that you can tackle the lottery...Also something not many people know is that, each lottery has to be tackled differently and has its way of been tackled...

I also believe that despite that there might be a superprogram for 1 lotto, there may be also 10 also good for that lottery but tackling that lotto by different angles...And winning is not everything but research, exploratorive research so that you could tell the world where not to go or where not to explore, what avenues lead to a dead end and stuff...

You can use all the programs you are willing to write.

The prize money paid to the winners ... comes from all the losers. The lotteries are not in business for your health, or to fund a bunny rabbit sanctuary, but for their own profit. No losers = no lottery.

From the GA lottery FAQ:

Q.Why did the GLC set a liability limit in CASH 3 & CASH 4?

A.The GLC hasan obligation to raise as many dollars for educational programs inGeorgia as we can while also ensuring that we have funds available topay winners. To accomplish this, we must be able to limit our potentialpayout to an amount that we expect to reasonably pay based on the saleswe generate for this game. The liability limit for CASH 3 is $10million and for CASH 4 is $8 million.

(emphasis, mine)

As far as telling the world where not to go or explore, that's usually the opposite of what I do. Evil Smile

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19824 Posts
                            Posted: April 25, 2008, 11:37 am - IP Logged

And then of course are the players that buy a QP and hit the jackpot. They seem to do as well as those trying to predict, supercomputer or not.

That's exactly my point.  If using a computer could help any one win a lottery, all the computer power needed already exists in today's PC and there's no need to wait for the more powerful PCs of the future.  The fact that players buying QPs do as well as players picking their own numbers means no one has a clue about how to predict a future random event by observing past random events using computers or other wise. 

Even when Tennessee started using a computer for its daily games that didn't pick doubles which eliminated 30% of the possible combinations, there were no indications that players picking their own numbers had an advantage even after they suspected as much.

Knowing all that, I still prefer to use my computer and the programs I write to help me track the drawings and pick some combinations to play because it's entertaining.

Evil Looking       

United States
                              Member #13130
                              March 30, 2005
                              2171 Posts
                              Posted: April 25, 2008, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

I'll buy QPs, too, until I think my work-in-progress is ready for prime time. My focus is p5 & PB.

Computers, whether super or mere mortal, only provide speed. You still need the creativity. That resides between the keyboard and chair. The fastest of cars won't get you there, if you're traveling in the wrong direction.

For p5 & jackpot games, you can be "set" even if your hit ratio (not prize ratio) is only 1%.
                              P3 players would have to do at least ten times better (and work at it every day) Confused