Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Old People Always Win

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 9 years ago by DC81.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
Member #5344
June 30, 2004
23641 Posts
Posted: May 7, 2008, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

That's because young people never play Powerball/MegaMillions...The times i've play lottery I'VE NEVER SEEN A YOUNG person, playing lottery, NEVER...I am talking someone YOung that's 18-25....

I don't know why is this, but most of the people i've seen playing the lottery are older people...

Young people are worried about college and getting a job...

And   GAS

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

JAP69's avatar - alas
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #6
    November 4, 2001
    8790 Posts
    Posted: May 7, 2008, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

OOOOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDD  people lose TOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thud

WHATT

Honduras
      Member #20982
      August 29, 2005
      4715 Posts
      Posted: May 7, 2008, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

And   GAS

gas affects everyone...

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
        A long and winding road
        United States
        Member #17084
        June 10, 2005
        4523 Posts
        Posted: May 7, 2008, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

Personally with age comes a sense of value for money and what it can and cannot do. The younger generation isnt exactly my cup of tea for financial advice, so I doubt I would consider their fortune to last past 30. When asked by each generation what they would invest in, most young folks think of the lastest gadgets or some hot car. Neither of which are long term vestments. Yet asked by those in the 40's and above and they clearly wanted to carry a nest egg to see them thru the golden years or carry on a cause that benefits the community. The bottom line though is- you cant take it with you so do with it as you will.....

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23260 Posts
          Posted: May 7, 2008, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

OOOOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDD  people lose TOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thud

Yes Nod LOL So true!  "Old people" are funding those big jackpots if they are indeed winning it more often.

It's amusing to see people cry about OTHER people winning the jackpot.

I've heard it all!  Among the various crying jags I've heard about OTHER people winning the jackpot:

• Someone in <insert state here> always wins!  The lottery is rigged!
          • Someone in the Eastern states always wins!  The lottery is rigged!
          • Someone in the Western states always wins!  The lottery is rigged!
          • Old people always win!  The lottery is rigged!
          • New players always win!  The lottery is rigged!
          • People who play $1 always win!  The lottery is rigged!
          • People who play Quick Picks always win!  The lottery is rigged!
          • Rich people always win!  The lottery is rigged!
          • Poor people always win!  The lottery is rigged!

Wa, wa, wa.  The simple fact is that YOU didn't win.  (Speaking to those who make these complaints.)

The lottery, for all its faults, errors, patterns, marketing, etc., really does distribute payouts to the people who play the most.

If people in Ohio buy 10 times as many Mega Millions tickets as the people in Washington, then you know what?  Ohio will have 10 times as many jackpot winners.

To those individuals perceptive enough to pick up the small hints and patterns to win more than the odds say you should, thumbs up to you!

But to somehow think that an entire demographic of people is going to win more collectively than the mathematics of odds and quantity of tickets purchased indicates they should is not living in reality.

Here's the hardest thing for these people to imagine:  just because the people in your state/age/income/etc. don't win as much as people in other demographic groups seem to, you personally have exactly the same odds of winning the jackpot as anyone in that other demographic does.

The emotional feeling of that other demographic group winning more often completely overwhelms the rational, logical thought that every other individual in the state/country/world has exactly the same chance of winning as you.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23641 Posts
            Posted: May 7, 2008, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

Yes Nod LOL So true!  "Old people" are funding those big jackpots if they are indeed winning it more often.

I've heard it all!  Among the various crying jags I've heard about OTHER people winning the jackpot:

Wa, wa, wa.  The simple fact is that YOU didn't win.  (Speaking to those who make these complaints.)

The lottery, for all its faults, errors, patterns, marketing, etc., really does distribute payouts to the people who play the most.

If people in Ohio buy 10 times as many Mega Millions tickets as the people in Washington, then you know what?  Ohio will have 10 times as many jackpot winners.

To those individuals perceptive enough to pick up the small hints and patterns to win more than the odds say you should, thumbs up to you!

But to somehow think that an entire demographic of people is going to win more collectively than the mathematics of odds and quantity of tickets purchased indicates they should is not living in reality.

Here's the hardest thing for these people to imagine:  just because the people in your state/age/income/etc. don't win as much as people in other demographic groups seem to, you personally have exactly the same odds of winning the jackpot as anyone in that other demographic does.

The emotional feeling of that other demographic group winning more often completely overwhelms the rational, logical thought that every other individual in the state/country/world has exactly the same chance of winning as you.

Well Put

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
              Kunming
              China
              Member #57910
              January 23, 2008
              3626 Posts
              Posted: May 7, 2008, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

When someone wins big whether they are young or old I am happy for them because when it's my turn, I would hate for someone to hate me for winning especially if it's because I'm old, young, rich or poor smart or stupid etc... Just be happy for them so when it's YOUR turn you can enjoy the moment.

Play to win!

DC81's avatar - batman39
                MI
                United States
                Member #54830
                August 31, 2007
                985 Posts
                Posted: May 7, 2008, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

Personally with age comes a sense of value for money and what it can and cannot do. The younger generation isnt exactly my cup of tea for financial advice, so I doubt I would consider their fortune to last past 30. When asked by each generation what they would invest in, most young folks think of the lastest gadgets or some hot car. Neither of which are long term vestments. Yet asked by those in the 40's and above and they clearly wanted to carry a nest egg to see them thru the golden years or carry on a cause that benefits the community. The bottom line though is- you cant take it with you so do with it as you will.....

The previous generation would say the same thing about yours.

What's your source for this? If people over 40 were so smart/wise/experienced and with such foresight why is it that the majority of them who win go broke within a few years after winning? There's plenty of people in each age demographic that would give the same answers and make the same mistakes, it doesn't matter how old someone is. If someone wins a few million dollars chances are they're going to buy many of the things they've always wanted, the problem is that most of them over do it and do it without thinking it through properly so then they get into trouble and I could say that the older you get the more "wants" you aquire. That's something that has been proven time and time again to be a problem with lottery winners and the majority of them are 40, there's a few that have won that were younger and they too had problems (such as a couple winners in the UK) but it'd be interesting to see some real stats or where are they now stories for younger winners. I've met a lot more older people (10-15 years or more) with poor money management skills than I've met people around my age. I know E had that show on former lottery winners called Curse of the Lottery or something like that and the only "success story" I remember was that of a girl who won in her 20s and after several years was still doing well. I could say that with age comes stubborness also, but I do know there's plenty of people in any age group that are so but it seems that when people get older they think they can handle things better because they're more "experienced" so then they know better and refuse to listen to anyone else. Of course there's plent of "know it all kids" too but it's a different situation.

Besides, people who are asked this typically aren't going to give serious answers as to what they'd actually do, especially younger people. Not to sound full of myself but I guarantee that if I won I'd be even better off five years after winning than I was shortly after and doing better than similar or bigger winners. The whole thing with wisdom coming with age is a joke. It's something you either have or don't, no matter how old you are or whatever experiences you've had. What matters is learning from them and the mistakes of others, which is a part of what wisdom really is and it's been shown for centuries that the wisdom of people (especially those with power) is sorely lacking.

Long story short, stupidity doesn't discriminate by age.

You can't predict random.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                  Member #24380
                  October 21, 2005
                  623 Posts
                  Posted: May 8, 2008, 12:01 am - IP Logged

A winner is a winner, no matter what the age.  I remember a story about a young woman who was down and out, just abandoned by her boyfriend, the father of her child, while she was trying to make ends meet and she was in college.  She won a sizeable lottery and was able to graduate from college and get a job in the feild she studied for.  Th eLottery win was insurance for the future of her son.  This was back in 1996 or '97.  I do not remember what lottery she won, but I know she was a young single mother.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                    A long and winding road
                    United States
                    Member #17084
                    June 10, 2005
                    4523 Posts
                    Posted: May 8, 2008, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

Thank you DC81 for your interpretation.

Umm,,,,for future reference....I am from the generation that does want a nest egg. Yes ignorance and frivalousness can transpire at any age when money is involved. As to the stats, as I said and I emphasize *Most* constitutes that of 70% and above, Commonly used in stats to give a general perspective and NOT to mislead.

Older folks win because they play, its that simple,,,,

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10345 Posts
                      Posted: May 9, 2008, 12:15 am - IP Logged

DC81

"If people over 40 were so smart/wise/experienced and with suchforesight why is it that the majority of them who win go broke within afew years after winning?"

That's not an accurate statement at all. The truth is more than half of jackpot winners go broke within five years, regardless of age.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

DC81's avatar - batman39
                        MI
                        United States
                        Member #54830
                        August 31, 2007
                        985 Posts
                        Posted: May 9, 2008, 12:52 am - IP Logged

Who said it was meant to be accurate? You picked one sentence out of a long, rambling post where I said that age is not a factor of how someone would handle winning the lottery. It was a response that was meant to point out that just being older doesn't mean anything in the situation.

You can't predict random.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #56506
                          November 21, 2007
                          6537 Posts
                          Posted: May 9, 2008, 3:45 am - IP Logged

Smash Wonderful post!

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Honduras
                            Member #20982
                            August 29, 2005
                            4715 Posts
                            Posted: May 10, 2008, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

Someone said: "If people in Ohio buy 10 times as many Mega Millions tickets as the people in Washington, then you know what?  Ohio will have 10 times as many jackpot winners."

If people in Ohio buy 10 times more tickets than the people in Washington, they are 10 times more LIKELY to win than the people in Washington not necesarily means they are going to win more often, they are just more likely to win, but still the people in washington can still become as many winners as the people in Ohio..BECAUSE THE GAME IS RANDOM...

and i don't know how the lottery works but if for example....10 million people go to a gas station (i know is not going to be that much) but if 10 million people go to a gas station and buy lottery tickets in the form of quick picks and i heard that each lottery retailer machine independently and randomly selects the combinations, but because the machine selected 10 million only out of 150 million for powerball, it still leaves it with 140 million but because you are not likely to select the winning combinations by just covering 10 million out of 150 million, the jackpot will not be won....Now multiply 10 million scenario that happens in 1 gas station times 20,000 or whatever number of gas stations that there are in the States...20,000 x 10 million comes out to be either 2 billion or 20 billion tickets sold before each drawing....

And because in each gas station they only covered 6% of total amount of combinations that powerball has, the jackpot is not likely to be won on no gas station...And the lottery theoretically speaking just made 2 billion dollars and the jackpot for powerball is only 10 million....

And then after each drawing the machines are going to repeat the same process again and start back from "0" and cover only 6%...(if is 10 million if is less than 10 million then the percentage is going to be less)

Well i kind of exaggerated the number for the sake of clarity in explaining....No gas station is going to sell 10 million tickets....Now let's assume is not 10 million but instead 500,000 tickets where sold at each gas station, then that will be covering 0.33% (or less than 1%) of the entire Powerball combinations this means that each of the 20,000 retailers will be covering less than 1% of the entire powerball combinations and NONE of them will win it or are extremely unlikely to win the jackpot, and if you multiply 20,00 retailers or whatever number of retailers that there are in the U.S times 500,000 it comes out to be 20,000 x 500,000 = 1E10 (i don't know what's that number but i think is 1 BILLION i know is not 100 million) Actually is more than 1 billion because 500,000 x 2,000 is 1 billion....LOL...So in total the lottery will collect more than 1 billion before each Powerball drawing, again theoretically speaking....But because no gas station is going to sell 500,000 worth of tickets, that figure/number will be lower...If each gas stations sell 125,000 tickets the number will be 250 million....If each gas station sells 32,000 tickets then the figure will be 62 million before each drawing that the lottery will collect...That's with 20,000 lottery retailers accross the U.S.A

This is one way that the lottery can do to not make the jackpot NOT be won, and let it continue climbing instead of jacking up the price or continually changing the matrix....

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5114 Posts
                              Posted: May 10, 2008, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

I know a majority of the players are older, but come on, I'd like to see a young buck hit the big one.  I recall that girl in her early 20's hit huge about 5 years ago.  She was from Georgia.  I wonder what ever happend to her.  I think she split mega millions 4 ways and ended up with something like 40mil.  Its always them old people, YAWN.

WHATCHA tonk'n bout...........Destined?

DON't ALL of U realize the LOTTERY is ALL about the YOUNG PEOPLE?

DON't ALL>>> realize ALL D darn money GOES to HELP PUR CHILLON!

ALL U young CHILLON >>>ALL get in the "LOTTERY"

& "HEP>>>YOSELF>>> jackpot

BUT and there is alway's a BUTT in this situation..............................

don't "smoKe" D POT Puke

Smoking by pregnant young women & expant young father's Hit With Stick

Maybe harmful to UR >>>>>healthCryingCryingCryingCrying

LOL

PSYKOMO