Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Old People Always Win

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 9 years ago by DC81.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7308 Posts
Posted: May 10, 2008, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

Someone said: "If people in Ohio buy 10 times as many Mega Millions tickets as the people in Washington, then you know what?  Ohio will have 10 times as many jackpot winners."

If people in Ohio buy 10 times more tickets than the people in Washington, they are 10 times more LIKELY to win than the people in Washington not necesarily means they are going to win more often, they are just more likely to win, but still the people in washington can still become as many winners as the people in Ohio..BECAUSE THE GAME IS RANDOM...

and i don't know how the lottery works but if for example....10 million people go to a gas station (i know is not going to be that much) but if 10 million people go to a gas station and buy lottery tickets in the form of quick picks and i heard that each lottery retailer machine independently and randomly selects the combinations, but because the machine selected 10 million only out of 150 million for powerball, it still leaves it with 140 million but because you are not likely to select the winning combinations by just covering 10 million out of 150 million, the jackpot will not be won....Now multiply 10 million scenario that happens in 1 gas station times 20,000 or whatever number of gas stations that there are in the States...20,000 x 10 million comes out to be either 2 billion or 20 billion tickets sold before each drawing....

And because in each gas station they only covered 6% of total amount of combinations that powerball has, the jackpot is not likely to be won on no gas station...And the lottery theoretically speaking just made 2 billion dollars and the jackpot for powerball is only 10 million....

And then after each drawing the machines are going to repeat the same process again and start back from "0" and cover only 6%...(if is 10 million if is less than 10 million then the percentage is going to be less)

Well i kind of exaggerated the number for the sake of clarity in explaining....No gas station is going to sell 10 million tickets....Now let's assume is not 10 million but instead 500,000 tickets where sold at each gas station, then that will be covering 0.33% (or less than 1%) of the entire Powerball combinations this means that each of the 20,000 retailers will be covering less than 1% of the entire powerball combinations and NONE of them will win it or are extremely unlikely to win the jackpot, and if you multiply 20,00 retailers or whatever number of retailers that there are in the U.S times 500,000 it comes out to be 20,000 x 500,000 = 1E10 (i don't know what's that number but i think is 1 BILLION i know is not 100 million) Actually is more than 1 billion because 500,000 x 2,000 is 1 billion....LOL...So in total the lottery will collect more than 1 billion before each Powerball drawing, again theoretically speaking....But because no gas station is going to sell 500,000 worth of tickets, that figure/number will be lower...If each gas stations sell 125,000 tickets the number will be 250 million....If each gas station sells 32,000 tickets then the figure will be 62 million before each drawing that the lottery will collect...That's with 20,000 lottery retailers accross the U.S.A

This is one way that the lottery can do to not make the jackpot NOT be won, and let it continue climbing instead of jacking up the price or continually changing the matrix....

"That's with 20,000 lottery retailers accross the U.S.A."

There are over 10,000 retailers just in Ohio and I'm sure the larger populated MM states like NY, Texas, and California have many more retailers. Just a guess, but there are probably at least 150,000 retailers in the 12 MM states.

"This is one way that the lottery can do to not make the jackpot NOT be won, and let it continue climbing instead of jacking up the price or continually changing the matrix...."

With over 175 million possible combinations the lotteries have no reason to cheat. There has been many posts explaining the percentages of a jackpot being hit based on potential ticket sales. It's obvious the jackpot is more likely to be hit as ticket sales increase. 

The 10 to 1 ratio doesn't mean very much if Ohio sells 1 million tickets and Washington sells 100,000, but it does if Ohio sells 8 million tickets and Washington sells 800,000. At least two tickets in Ohio will probably match all 5 numbers giving an overall 2 in 46 chance of matching the mega ball. Since Washington only sold 20% of all the combinations matching 5, there is a good chance they sold no tickets even matching 5 numbers.

I've never been carded or asked may age when buying tickets but if people over 45 out play and out spend the younger players by the same ratio, it's obvious why more jackpot winners are older.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7308 Posts
    Posted: May 10, 2008, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

WHATCHA tonk'n bout...........Destined?

DON't ALL of U realize the LOTTERY is ALL about the YOUNG PEOPLE?

DON't ALL>>> realize ALL D darn money GOES to HELP PUR CHILLON!

ALL U young CHILLON >>>ALL get in the "LOTTERY"

& "HEP>>>YOSELF>>> jackpot

BUT and there is alway's a BUTT in this situation..............................

don't "smoKe" D POT Puke

Smoking by pregnant young women & expant young father's Hit With Stick

Maybe harmful to UR >>>>>healthCryingCryingCryingCrying

LOL

PSYKOMO

That's a very good point, PSYKOMO because in most states the lottery proceeds do benefit education.

johnph77's avatar - avatar
      CA
      United States
      Member #2987
      December 10, 2003
      832 Posts
      Posted: May 10, 2008, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

Old people always win? Dang, I must be next.....

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5582 Posts
        Posted: May 11, 2008, 1:47 am - IP Logged

ROFL

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
          Member #5344
          June 30, 2004
          23641 Posts
          Posted: May 11, 2008, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

Go ahead.  I am behind you.  You are what is holding me up.. We have to take turns at this age... lol

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23641 Posts
            Posted: June 2, 2008, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

gas affects everyone...

what is your gas price   378

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

bigato1010's avatar - army

United States
              Member #33588
              February 22, 2006
              2068 Posts
              Posted: June 2, 2008, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

Lucky people always win how is that ? Answer:Approve may be there were born with silver spoon in their mouth.   

DC81's avatar - batman39
                MI
                United States
                Member #54830
                August 31, 2007
                985 Posts
                Posted: June 2, 2008, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

I think they have a horse shoe stuck in the opposite orifice. Gas prices here for regular unleaded are $4.09 9/10ths as of today, might as well say $4.10. >_>

You can't predict random.