Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PLEASE READ: About Idiot Spammers

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Todd.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
Member #91
January 19, 2002
11924 Posts
Posted: May 11, 2008, 7:21 am - IP Logged

You should watch it again (any excuse to watch that excellent movie again is a good thing). 

The guilt of Tim Robbins' character is purposely left vague.  It is never revealed if he is guilty or innocent, although it is strongly hinted that he is guilty.

The flashback scenes show him getting drunk, basically losing his mind, and then finding that he had done it.  And the "Red" quote I put in my last post would also hint at his guilt.  (i.e., "Yeah, right you're innocent -- so is everyone else here.")

"Get busy living, or get busy dying"  was ny favorite line. 

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23260 Posts
    Posted: May 11, 2008, 9:16 am - IP Logged

Todd.......I like looking at Morgan Fairchild....and so would have the prisoners in "Shawshank"!  Of course I'm sure you meant  Morgan Freeman.

LOL What a happy mistake!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
      mississippi
      United States
      Member #34478
      March 3, 2006
      5903 Posts
      Posted: May 11, 2008, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

morgan

Why is Morgan Freeman dressed up like a woman?

Surgical science has definitely come a long way....

Pat..I like them SOLID BLACK HEADED WOMEN by choice myself..but in her case I would make an exception..hahaha

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
        Member #24380
        October 21, 2005
        623 Posts
        Posted: May 11, 2008, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

LOL What a happy mistake!

Too cute!  But I am still wondering what spam is.  Unsolicted email?? Posts?? Explain. please.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
          Member #52345
          May 21, 2007
          2657 Posts
          Posted: May 11, 2008, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Too cute!  But I am still wondering what spam is.  Unsolicted email?? Posts?? Explain. please.

from techdictionary.com:

The electronic equivalent of junk mail often in the form of commercial announcements.
           The act of sending a spam is called, naturally, "spamming." To crash a program by overrunning a fixed-site buffer with excessively large input data.
           Also, to cause a person or newsgroup to be flooded with irrelevant or inappropriate messages.

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23260 Posts
            Posted: May 11, 2008, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

When you see someone posting a message on the forums that is an attempt to get you to go to a web site that they make money from, that's called spam.  The key is that they are posting something with the eventual (or direct) intent to make money.

People make money from web sites in many ways.  Sometimes they just drive lots of traffic through advertising (ever see those sites with a thousand Google-based text ads on them?), or else they're trying to sell something to you directly, or they are an affiliate site that makes money by having people click advertisements and buying something on the site they go to when they click the ad.

Anyone trying to get you to go to a site that has one of those things is spamming.

Let's say someone is starting up a new lottery site, and they're going to make money from advertisements posted on the site.  They come to Lottery Post and start posting about the new site and posting links to the site.

That is spam.

It is spam because the only reason for their post is to drive traffic to their site and make themselves money by selling advertising.

If someone like this wants to post a link on Lottery Post, then the only way they can do it is to buy an advertisement on Lottery Post.  They cannot post a free ad in the forums.

If someone wants to make money from a web site, what makes them think that they can do it without working hard and investing in marketing?  I did not post a single spam message anywhere, yet managed to build up two very large lottery sites — with hard work, not with leeching off of someone else.

Generally speaking, you don't see lots of ads on Lottery Post because when I started the site I decided that it would not become just another trash lottery site with "bikini lady" ads or scam lottery ticket service ads, or bright, blinking ads, or pop-up ads.  I am personally annoyed by that stuff, and I think most other people are also.

For example, have you ever been on a forum that stuffs advertising into the topic threads themselves?  You'll see a post, then a reply, then a block of ads where the next post should be, and then more replies beneath that.  I think that kind of thing is crap.

So, because Lottery Post has so few advertisements, it is important that I maintain good relations with the small number of advertisers.  If I started allowing spammers to post free ads on Lottery Post, why should the other companies continuing paying for ads?  (Why buy the milk when you can get it for free?)

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
              Member #24380
              October 21, 2005
              623 Posts
              Posted: May 11, 2008, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

When you see someone posting a message on the forums that is an attempt to get you to go to a web site that they make money from, that's called spam.  The key is that they are posting something with the eventual (or direct) intent to make money.

People make money from web sites in many ways.  Sometimes they just drive lots of traffic through advertising (ever see those sites with a thousand Google-based text ads on them?), or else they're trying to sell something to you directly, or they are an affiliate site that makes money by having people click advertisements and buying something on the site they go to when they click the ad.

Anyone trying to get you to go to a site that has one of those things is spamming.

Let's say someone is starting up a new lottery site, and they're going to make money from advertisements posted on the site.  They come to Lottery Post and start posting about the new site and posting links to the site.

That is spam.

It is spam because the only reason for their post is to drive traffic to their site and make themselves money by selling advertising.

If someone like this wants to post a link on Lottery Post, then the only way they can do it is to buy an advertisement on Lottery Post.  They cannot post a free ad in the forums.

If someone wants to make money from a web site, what makes them think that they can do it without working hard and investing in marketing?  I did not post a single spam message anywhere, yet managed to build up two very large lottery sites — with hard work, not with leeching off of someone else.

Generally speaking, you don't see lots of ads on Lottery Post because when I started the site I decided that it would not become just another trash lottery site with "bikini lady" ads or scam lottery ticket service ads, or bright, blinking ads, or pop-up ads.  I am personally annoyed by that stuff, and I think most other people are also.

For example, have you ever been on a forum that stuffs advertising into the topic threads themselves?  You'll see a post, then a reply, then a block of ads where the next post should be, and then more replies beneath that.  I think that kind of thing is crap.

So, because Lottery Post has so few advertisements, it is important that I maintain good relations with the small number of advertisers.  If I started allowing spammers to post free ads on Lottery Post, why should the other companies continuing paying for ads?  (Why buy the milk when you can get it for free?)

Hmmnn.  Thanks for the info.  Spamming is like downloading an artist's work for free when the artist does not make a dime while you enjoy their music.  I never liked that!  So, would the following be an example of being spammed?  I did not buy the membership (for one I can not afford any extras since my illness besides the occasional lotto; then I have learned to research for myself :

Buford. GA
                United States
                Member #4
                April 19, 2001
                853 Posts
                Posted: May 11, 2008, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

Todd;

Good to see you are keeping this marvelous site moving ahead as always!

Congrats Todd! 

"as long as you win more than you lose...gamblins' not a problem"

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts
                  Posted: May 11, 2008, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

That is spam.

Excellent! Thank You.

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
                    Member #26882
                    November 23, 2005
                    1404 Posts
                    Posted: May 11, 2008, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

That is spam.

I did not post a single spam message anywhere, yet managed to build up two very large lottery sites — with hard work, not with leeching off of someone else.

Todd,

Two large lottery sites? What other lottery site do you have besides this one? I did not know you had 2 sites for lottery?

DC81's avatar - batman39
                      MI
                      United States
                      Member #54830
                      August 31, 2007
                      985 Posts
                      Posted: May 11, 2008, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

Pretty sure he's referring to USAMega.

You can't predict random.

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23260 Posts
                        Posted: May 12, 2008, 8:22 am - IP Logged

Pretty sure he's referring to USAMega.

Indeed.

Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23260 Posts
                          Posted: May 12, 2008, 8:24 am - IP Logged

Todd;

Good to see you are keeping this marvelous site moving ahead as always!

Congrats Todd! 

Glad to see you're still out there.  I miss your posts.

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
                            Member #26882
                            November 23, 2005
                            1404 Posts
                            Posted: May 12, 2008, 10:15 am - IP Logged

Indeed.

Thanks

Sandra Dee's avatar - dandy
                              Bayonne
                              United States
                              Member #61147
                              May 13, 2008
                              129 Posts
                              Posted: May 13, 2008, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

they're usually way off topic! like the one that was talking about an aston martin when we were reading about something else .. or if the topic is about Flava flav or Pete Doherty, they'll usually have some post like "wow, he's so cute and clean, you should see him on millionare dot  " <-- that "cute/clean" part is usually a dead giveaway! 

Dupe Alert