Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Today ends my scratch off days.

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 8 years ago by lothob.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
Member #4121
March 23, 2004
817 Posts
Posted: May 15, 2008, 8:51 am - IP Logged

Today ends my scratch off days.  I came to my senses.  It's not worth it.  The odds are terrible.  Your hands get covered with ink dust. I am sticking with only Big draw games from now on  (mega and powerball).  WTG for those few winners out there!  Good Luck to all scratch off players! 

lank's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
    albany georgia
    United States
    Member #55707
    October 15, 2007
    565 Posts
    Posted: May 15, 2008, 9:02 am - IP Logged

I Feel you had some bad luck with scratch offSun Smiley

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
      Kunming
      China
      Member #57910
      January 23, 2008
      3626 Posts
      Posted: May 15, 2008, 9:27 am - IP Logged

Today ends my scratch off days.  I came to my senses.  It's not worth it.  The odds are terrible.  Your hands get covered with ink dust. I am sticking with only Big draw games from now on  (mega and powerball).  WTG for those few winners out there!  Good Luck to all scratch off players! 

ThudYou need to come to your senses some more. If you think scratch off was hard then Mega and Powerball are almost impossible. Pick 5 is the way to go. You decide which numbers you want. Use a strategy. The odds are more realistic to hit. Sure it's not mllions of dollars but you have a better chance. GOOD LUCK!

Play to win!

Sunny California
        United States
        Member #40295
        May 31, 2006
        7713 Posts
        Posted: May 15, 2008, 9:48 am - IP Logged

ThudYou need to come to your senses some more. If you think scratch off was hard then Mega and Powerball are almost impossible. Pick 5 is the way to go. You decide which numbers you want. Use a strategy. The odds are more realistic to hit. Sure it's not mllions of dollars but you have a better chance. GOOD LUCK!

I Agree!I Agree!I Agree!

Pick 5's the ONLY way to go! Good call Jackpot!

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
          Member #4121
          March 23, 2004
          817 Posts
          Posted: May 15, 2008, 10:38 am - IP Logged

I Agree!I Agree!I Agree!

Pick 5's the ONLY way to go! Good call Jackpot!

Step by step.  My thinking is if I want to win, I want to win big.

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
            Kunming
            China
            Member #57910
            January 23, 2008
            3626 Posts
            Posted: May 15, 2008, 10:53 am - IP Logged

Step by step.  My thinking is if I want to win, I want to win big.

First of all let's talk about scratch off's. Here you have a scratch off in your hand. You have no information at the time of purchase of it's history. Was the person before you a winner? If so how much $1.00? How many winners are left? Has it been won already by the time you bought the scratch off? The only reason to buy an "instant" scratch  off is for that very reason, "instant" dissatisfaction or "instant" satisfaction. I'm not saying playing scratch is a total waste of time but it's one of the worst plays. It's a blind man's game. I believe in thinking BIG. You have to. You have to want to reach for the stars. You have to play to win not lose. Stick to a game that can get you there even if it's step by step. You can win big in the Pick 3 and Pick 4 if you get the right number at the right time and put $$$$$$ on it. Those are the best odds in town. Once you win with that money you can go on to the next best odds game which is the Pick 5 and then the PB and then the MB. That's being realistic and thinking big progressively. Of course you can just play PB or MB and in 1 ticket win the jackpot! All is possible but not likely. Anyway GOOD LUCK!

Play to win!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23349 Posts
              Posted: May 15, 2008, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

I hear you, and agree with some of what you're saying, but scratch-offs are like anything else: when played in moderation you can play for the enjoyment of it.  People who burn through scratch-off after scratch-off -- scratching them in the store or in their car in the parking lot -- are missing a lot of the enjoyment of the game.  It's like chugging a six-pack vs. enjoying a nice micro-brew with your meal.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                6537 Posts
                Posted: May 17, 2008, 12:14 am - IP Logged

I agree with Todd. Playing in moderation is the key. If you enjoy scratch-off tickets, just buy a couple every now and then fpr the fun of it and maybe you will hit big.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Sandra Dee's avatar - dandy
                  Bayonne
                  United States
                  Member #61147
                  May 13, 2008
                  129 Posts
                  Posted: May 27, 2008, 10:23 am - IP Logged

don't even get me started on scratch offs! they are terrible! i went into deep withdrawals too, my car, desk and lap were always that silver crap! but like someone mentioned, those pick 5's are really good .. and i don't get it because it's like mega/power with the five numbers but somehow people win daily from them .. and don't worry, the scratch off players are far and few between .. i once won $100 and don't you know it used half to get as lucky .. no such luck ..

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                    Member #24380
                    October 21, 2005
                    623 Posts
                    Posted: May 27, 2008, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

Yeah,  I agree Jackpotwanna. You will get a free ticket with the smaller lotto games more frequently than a free ticket with scratch offs.  Then you win more.  I agree, forget the messy, dusty, ew, ew, ew,  scratch off!

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                      Member #24380
                      October 21, 2005
                      623 Posts
                      Posted: June 22, 2008, 1:39 am - IP Logged

Either way you look at it, you loose a lot with what you invest in all of the games.  At least with scratch offs you get to win $2.00 every now and then. Confused.  In all seriousness, it appears to me that the best chance of profiting comes from playing the smaller games like pick 3 and pick 4. Approve

Baton Rouge, LA
                        United States
                        Member #4602
                        May 7, 2004
                        700 Posts
                        Posted: July 12, 2008, 11:55 am - IP Logged

I play Louisiana's pick 5 game, which is called Easy 5, and Lotto (pick 6).  I only play Powerball on my own when it hits $100 million.  I also have my lottery pool at work which plays Powerball and Lotto.  I'm thinking of instituting a similar rule for playing Lotto on my own, i.e. only playing it myself when it reaches a certain level, and just buying Easy 5 for myself.

As for scratch offs, I seldom play them even though the odds of winning something(not necessarily the jackpot) are higher than on the online games.  The best I've done on a scratch off is $25.  When I do play scratch offs, I only play the ones that have a second chance drawing.  I did once win $100 on a second chance drawing for the now defunct Powerball Instant Millionaire game show ticket.

A clerk at one local store told me he'd pull second chance tickets out of the trash and mail them in and he won a some World Series of Poker merchandise.  When posted on this topic another time, a Lottery Post member posted saying his wife worked in a little store and she was doing them same thing and had won them some money and a vacation.

Nothing wrong with playing the lottery, just play it smart.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

pittsfield
                          United States
                          Member #62951
                          July 14, 2008
                          3 Posts
                          Posted: July 14, 2008, 12:08 am - IP Logged

Yeah I work at a convenience store and I see that the only way to win on scratch tickets is to either get extremely lucky and win big or just not play them.  I see way too many people come in and drop like 200 over like an hour of playing and only come up with a few 10-20 dollar winners.  Dunno, I don't play them much because I see how much other people lose, but I've been thinking about the numbers game cause that looks like the best odds to win something decent.

awwcrap's avatar - moon
                            ky
                            United States
                            Member #37768
                            April 19, 2006
                            90 Posts
                            Posted: July 17, 2008, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

Hmmm,   havn't bought a scratchoff-its been about a year

United States
                              Member #60337
                              April 14, 2008
                              153 Posts
                              Posted: July 18, 2008, 11:26 am - IP Logged

I agree with everyone in this topic,,,take that $80.00 you just spent in scratch off buy yourself some pick 3's and you will get alot back in return,I think they should out law SCRATCH OFFS....It is a legalized stealing.I wont touch those things after waking up myself.  Stop the habit now,study on here and good luck sweet heart,you deserve better,,,,we all do!!!!!!!!US Flag