Welcome Guest
You last visited April 29, 2017, 11:21 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New guy checking in!

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 9 years ago by tntea.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
CT
United States
Member #61398
May 21, 2008
781 Posts
Posted: May 22, 2008, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

Hey guys, just checking in here from CT for the first time.  Looks like a good deal of helpful info on this site, should be interesting to read through it all!  I happened to stumble on this site a few days ago while searching for a few lotto playing tips, and so far I like that I see!

Ok, about me..  I'm a software guy and have always been interested in numbers.  I have been playing the lotto on and off for the past few years, just grabbing quick picks whenever I happened to be at the local gas station and the lotto was high.  Just for fun, a few weeks ago I thought about writing a bit of software to analyze patterns in the numbers and see if I can't predict which were most likely to show up on the next go-around.  So far no huge luck (except not when I've bought tickets, ha) but writing different methods and checking the results has been quite addicting. I have been working on an Application that calculates likely lotto numbers for CT (since I live there) for the Powerball, Cash 5 (5/35), pick 4 and pick 3 lottos.  I began with the powerball, but have been focusing more in the Cash 5 and pick 3 or 4 lottos over the past few weeks since there is a much better chance of winning.  I started writing the application not quite knowing what I was going to use for calculation exactly, so I created 5-6 different simple methods.  One goes through and figures out which numbers are the most frequent, another calculates which numbers haven't been seen in the longest time, one method calculates which numbers are 'due' based on the average number of draws between their hits (and how long they've been 'out'), etc.  Nothing ground breaking.  I created the app so it will loop through all past drawings in my database and calculate which ones were expected, and show me what my results would have been. Kind of neat.

One thing I wasn't sure about was how deep I should be searching in the database.  I know that searching deeper than the previous time the game format has changed would be pointless, but I've read a few sites that have conflicting ideas of how many records are 'best' to use.  I didn't take any advice from those, but instead tweaked the application to loop through 'pool sizes' of varrying amounts.  That way I can select which method to use, and it generates a report on the number of hits from each different pool size.  For example, I can see that for the 5/35 Cash 5 drawings a pool size of 50 only hits 3 balls 5 times, and 2 balls 38 times. This method with a pool size of 16, hits 4 balls 2 times, 3 balls 9 times, and 2 balls 51 times, and the jackpot (all 5) once on 6/13/07! I'm sure it was completely randomly (not because of the awesome-ness of my calculation) since that/method pool size combo doesn't hit that much elsewhere. The overall pool here is about 360 drawings back to 1 year ago.

Just for kicks, that method calculates these for tonight (May22): 23-26-27-29-33 (w/pool size of 16).

Here are some other methods I use for CT Cash 5 with their most active pool sizes -

CT Cash 5 - May 22 picks

10-11-16-19-31 (Longest Since: pool size - 13)
3-7-26-27-33 (Most Frequent: pool size - 159)
5-8-13-19-34 (Least Frequent: pool size - 75)
23-26-27-29-33 (Due Up: pool size of 16) * Guessed jackpot for June 13, 2007.
1-9-11-19-29 (Games Out (skips): pool size - 14)

Just a few days ago I converted this app to work for the Pick 3 and Pick 4 lottos, but it's still a work in progress.  Those games are different, naturally, because they partially rely on position and the numbers are independant (as you all know). I'll give my picks with the application as-is, but in it's novice state it just calculates based on exact position.  i.e. a number in the first position will only be checked against other first position picks back through the history, with no combos implemented yet.  That will be changed here shortly.  I also have to double-check my database since I noticed previously that it had a few of the drawings missing for some reason. But anyway, here are the picks so far:

CT Play 4 - May 22 picks

1-0-6-1 (Longest Since: pool size - 41)
0-9-4-8 (Most Frequent: pool size - 38)
5-0-9-1 (Least Frequent: pool size - 38)
5-2-4-1 (Due Up: pool size - 35) * This method/pool guessed the jackpot for May 6.
7-2-1-0 (Games Out (skips): pool size - 41)

CT Mid Day 4 - May 23 picks

0-9-0-6 (Longest Since: pool size - 38)
8-4-8-0 (Most Frequent: pool size - 33)
0-0-7-2 (Least Frequent: pool size - 39)
4-1-1-1 (Due Up: pool size - 49)
5-7-1-0 (Games Out (skips): pool size - 40)

CT Play 3 - May 22 picks

3-4-3 (Longest Since: pool size - 33)
0-9-7 (Most Frequent: pool size - 45) * This method/pool guessed the jackpot for April 12.
3-7-5 (Least Frequent: pool size - 46) * This method/pool guessed the jackpot for May 9.
2-0-3 (Due Up: pool size - 33)
3-4-6 (Games Out (skips): pool size - 33)

CT Mid Day 3 - May 23 picks

9-5-3 (Longest Since: pool size - 33)
2-6-7 (Most Frequent: pool size - 36)
9-1-3 (Least Frequent: pool size - 36)
5-6-0 (Due Up: pool size - 41) * This method/pool guessed the jackpot for May 20 and April 28.
5-7-9 (Games Out (skips): pool size - 33)

I only have data for the play 3 and 4 games back to November 07, so I'll be adding more shortly and seeing how the calculations do when checking back further.

I guess I should toss in my powerball predictions as well, why not.

Powerball - May 24 picks

5-35-40-50-54, PB: 10 (Longest Since: pool size - 68)
13-21-23-30-47, PB: 18 (Most Frequent: pool size - 114)
3-6-25-39-40, PB: 9 (Due Up: pool size - 41)

So there's my intro.  Looking forward to getting some tips from the pros here ;) Catch you guys around.

- Stew

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
    Member #52345
    May 21, 2007
    2713 Posts
    Posted: May 22, 2008, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

welcome to LP

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      CA
      United States
      Member #57222
      December 23, 2007
      587 Posts
      Posted: May 22, 2008, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Welcome Stew from CA.Party

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23599 Posts
        Posted: May 22, 2008, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

Welcome!

If you're playing around with different methods, I'd recommend posting your predicted numbers to the prediction board, and that way all of your number sets will be automatically checked after the drawings, and you can start to compile statistics, so you can see how you're doing over time.

The prediction stats can be separated by game type, which should be useful for you, since it looks like you are focusing on each game separately.

Good luck!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
          Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
          United States
          Member #26084
          November 14, 2005
          199 Posts
          Posted: May 22, 2008, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

The pigs and I give you a great big Texas size welcome!

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: May 22, 2008, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to LP!

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: May 22, 2008, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

Did Clairvoyance tell you about LP?   Big Grin

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/175465

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
                Member #26882
                November 23, 2005
                1404 Posts
                Posted: May 22, 2008, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

Did Clairvoyance tell you about LP?   Big Grin

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/175465

LOL PAC! I dont think this is one of the folks I told but........ This person looks pretty interesting hey? Should we let him stay ??? LOL

BTW- Welcome to LP Stew....Enjoy!

CT
                  United States
                  Member #61398
                  May 21, 2008
                  781 Posts
                  Posted: May 22, 2008, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

Thanks guys.  I posted my numbers in the Predictions section, so I guess we'll see how they do!

Nope, wasn't me in line next to Clairvoyance the other day Big Grin

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                    Member #4877
                    May 30, 2004
                    5185 Posts
                    Posted: May 22, 2008, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

Thanks guys.  I posted my numbers in the Predictions section, so I guess we'll see how they do!

Nope, wasn't me in line next to Clairvoyance the other day Big Grin

welcome >>>>> aboard Stew12:

Kan U BUMP-UP UR perdiction's to include the Mega Million JackPOT?

Seems like that is (was) where I was @ ALL last month w/my  $$$!!

BUT, and U will learn about the BUTT's on LP if U STICK around >>>

BUT, I lost all that MONY and ...............HERE I GO >>>>>>>>>>>>

"On The Road Again"  >>>>>>>

LOL

PSYKOMO

Pogo's avatar - wfl
                      NC
                      United States
                      Member #29378
                      January 1, 2006
                      552 Posts
                      Posted: May 22, 2008, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to The LotteryPost, looks like you're already on your way - got some numbers, working on something at home, and not trying to sell something - Excellent, I think you'll fit right in around here... BTW, I have to admit - I love the pool sizes on your draws, very nice, very nice indeed... AnyWho - Welcome M8 & Hope to see you in the forums, PoGo

CT
                        United States
                        Member #61398
                        May 21, 2008
                        781 Posts
                        Posted: May 22, 2008, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to The LotteryPost, looks like you're already on your way - got some numbers, working on something at home, and not trying to sell something - Excellent, I think you'll fit right in around here... BTW, I have to admit - I love the pool sizes on your draws, very nice, very nice indeed... AnyWho - Welcome M8 & Hope to see you in the forums, PoGo

Hey, if I had a lottery system worth selling, it would be worth keeping. heh.

Psycho, I'll get on that sometime soon.  Unfortunately we don't do Mega Millions here in CT though..

CT
                          United States
                          Member #61398
                          May 21, 2008
                          781 Posts
                          Posted: May 22, 2008, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

Well I'll be damned.  My 3-4-6 prediction for the CT Pick 3 tonight was spot on.  Too bad I was too busy to make it to the store for tickets tonight!!!!  Bash

How about that for a first day eh?

Pogo's avatar - wfl
                            NC
                            United States
                            Member #29378
                            January 1, 2006
                            552 Posts
                            Posted: May 23, 2008, 12:00 am - IP Logged

WTG, nice pick... PoGo

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                              Member #14
                              November 9, 2001
                              31615 Posts
                              Posted: May 23, 2008, 12:01 am - IP Logged

Well I'll be damned.  My 3-4-6 prediction for the CT Pick 3 tonight was spot on.  Too bad I was too busy to make it to the store for tickets tonight!!!!  Bash

How about that for a first day eh?

Welcome from Ga.

Hello 

love to nibble those micey feet.