Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do You Tell?

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 8 years ago by lottolaughs.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Do you tell others about LP?

Yes All The Time [ 26 ]  [50.00%]
No, Never Think To [ 25 ]  [48.08%]
I will now [ 1 ]  [1.92%]
Total Valid Votes [ 52 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10344 Posts
Posted: May 23, 2008, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

You know you can really see an immense difference between most of the people who frequent this board and people you meet playing lotto.

We did a thread on this once (maybe it's time for another), but these are some comments I've had other players tell me:

"I won $36.11 yesterday on scratchers."

Hello, scrathchers in this state only pay dollar amounts, no cents.

"Last year I played 317 in the Pick 3 and hit it 26 times." (An absolute classic as the person who said this used to manage a conevenience mart that sells tickets).

Hello, anyone can look that up on the lotterie's web site, and you're full of baloney, buddy.

- and I live this one:

"There's a place on this side of the bridge that sells lottery tickets for both Illinois and Missouri."

HELLO! Not in any way, shape of form...

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
    Member #26882
    November 23, 2005
    1404 Posts
    Posted: May 23, 2008, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

In the last ten years, I rarely see a person in line, that is in front, or behind me, that is worth talking to.  Most are in a hurry place their bet and get back to the solitude of their vehicles. A majority would know how to think about what they were doing.  I have mention the actual value of a jackpot to every single clerk in ever store I buy a ticket. Not a single one knows anything about the actual values involved.  They only know what is posted by the the Lottery officials, which is all false and an attempt at taking advantage of the uneducated. Fifty inch words declaring $10M, and nothing saying after taxes you'll get about 25% of that value. When I mention that to a betting person, I get blank looks, then they run away.  They, like most, they don't want to hear the truth, they want to hear the illusion. Its like the super market that advertises shrimp at $4.98 in huge print.  Then has small print saying by the pound and they only sell them in two pound packages.  When you get to the register, you're not paying attention, and unknowlingly pay much more then you thought you would pay.  This is done time after time, and they seldom receive complaints.  Why? Like the lottery large print, who has time to read the fine print?

The town I live in is not real big, its not tiny either but its not huge. People take the time to talk to each other while waiting in line and it fills up the time as well. Most of the time the converstation starts with ............So what is the number for today? or Any tips? Or as I have said in the first post, they will say, you must be lucky! Thats why I just tell people about LP now.

One poster said that if a person wants to find LP that its not hard to find. That is true but I think most people dont think to look for it. At any rate the people I have told, actually thanked me, and said they would check it out. I guess the majority of folks here are laid back and gabby! LOL

San Diego, CA
      United States
      Member #58386
      February 12, 2008
      287 Posts
      Posted: May 24, 2008, 12:33 am - IP Logged

A past jackpot winner could sue and probably win if the 20, 26, or 30 year payoffs was less than the advertised jackpot they won. The Mega Millions site says the current "estimated" jackpot is $17 million and the cash option is $10.4 million. A cash option is exactly that and if you want the full amount you'll have to wait 25 years. Do you really believe if somebody matches all 6 numbers tonight they would say "had I known I'd only win $10 million, I would have never played"?

When people buy a lottery ticket, it's a contract between them and the lottery. And if you read it in the paper, heard it on the radio, or Uncle Bob tells you different doesn't change the fact it's still between you and the lottery.

"He lost, but had a good case."

You didn't give any details but since he lost it couldn't have been that good of a case.

"Do you really believe if somebody matches all 6 numbers tonight they would say "had I known I'd only win $10 million, I would have never played"

Yes.  A person could make that case. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: May 24, 2008, 2:21 am - IP Logged

I don't think it would be a valid. It is defined annuity regularity.  The problem is the thousand of Hispanics and other immigrants that don't fully understand what is really happening, don't understand a word like annuity, and are too lazy to research it, don't have the ability to research it, or wouldn't know what to look at if it beat them in the groin.  All they want to see is the flashing LED numbers and want to win that amount.  Most illegal and legal immigrants live in a “shack” environment and would find it a miracle to have internet access. 

Those are the suckers, not the Lottery Post members. 

Most places I go to buy a ticket are run by either some one from India, Mexico, or Vietnamese, with an occasional Middle Eastern.  Back in NJ, I used deal with several mom and pop stores.  They were mostly really old people who were no more knowledgeable about the lottery then the ones I deal with now. I have never have I talked to a single one of them that new anything more then the annuity and cash value numbers, but never related the two. They were all first generation immigents, thus had extremely limited knowledge of the street use of our language.  When I go by these neighborhoods, all I see is people who wouldn't understand the lottery any more then they understand why the sun rises every day and set every night. It just happens. They just buy the ticket and hope. 

At least with Powerball, they don't have to choose annuity or cash before they win.  They can get advice on which to choose and not react like a robot and choose cash automatically.

Wow!  Since you quoted me, I have to assume you were responding to my post.  However, I see no connection to it whatsoever.

I'm not sure what rock you live under, but you really need to get out in the world more often.

DC81's avatar - batman39
          MI
          United States
          Member #54830
          August 31, 2007
          985 Posts
          Posted: May 24, 2008, 9:42 am - IP Logged

"Do you really believe if somebody matches all 6 numbers tonight they would say "had I known I'd only win $10 million, I would have never played"

Yes.  A person could make that case. 

Well, two people won the MM jackpot lastnight so then they "only" won about 5 million. Big Smile Even less after taxes, I hope the two that won are smart enough to spend wisely because it'd be very very easy to blow that amount quickly before they're even finished paying the taxes on it. *SIGH* If only the federal government could be nice enough to not tax lottery winners, but I guess they need the money so they can continue to buy 800 dollar toilet seats actually worth $10-$20.

When I buy tickets, I sometimes do mention how much it really is with the cash option and sometimes throw in what it might roughly be after all the taxes.

You can't predict random.

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
            Just outside of Cleveland, OH
            United States
            Member #54079
            August 3, 2007
            106 Posts
            Posted: May 25, 2008, 10:50 am - IP Logged

Dear Just. . .you made me laugh--as a former teacher and then a former nurse--I was horrified to find some docs in the hospital in which I worked did not know how to adjust meds to patient's body weight and this was when those meds were specifically to be adjusted to their patient's body weight!!  They would just say things like--"Let the pharmacy figure it out"  when they had written the med order in such a manner that the pharmacy was bound by law to fill what the doc had written and NOT to suggest a differing dose based on weight.  Some of these guys did not know HOW to figure out. . .Like when you say that many of the public do not know that 1% is a 100% increase over 2%.  Truly scarey. . .and I worked in a major MAJOR teaching hospital in the department that has made them world reknown. . . .freaking SCAREY.  That's why I want to have DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) tatooed on my body somewhere--like on my sternum.

As far as I can see--the people I meet in the lottery line wouldn't know an ISP from the IRS or a CDARS from a CEDAR (as in tree).  One of the reason's I really like this site is the discussions in which someone knowledgeable chimes in and shares valid information which I then research myself.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: May 25, 2008, 11:05 am - IP Logged

Dear Just. . .you made me laugh--as a former teacher and then a former nurse--I was horrified to find some docs in the hospital in which I worked did not know how to adjust meds to patient's body weight and this was when those meds were specifically to be adjusted to their patient's body weight!!  They would just say things like--"Let the pharmacy figure it out"  when they had written the med order in such a manner that the pharmacy was bound by law to fill what the doc had written and NOT to suggest a differing dose based on weight.  Some of these guys did not know HOW to figure out. . .Like when you say that many of the public do not know that 1% is a 100% increase over 2%.  Truly scarey. . .and I worked in a major MAJOR teaching hospital in the department that has made them world reknown. . . .freaking SCAREY.  That's why I want to have DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) tatooed on my body somewhere--like on my sternum.

As far as I can see--the people I meet in the lottery line wouldn't know an ISP from the IRS or a CDARS from a CEDAR (as in tree).  One of the reason's I really like this site is the discussions in which someone knowledgeable chimes in and shares valid information which I then research myself.

Scarey

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: May 25, 2008, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

AuntiePat, although the following happened over 15 years ago, I still can't forget it.  I know I have my senior moments, so I'm not trying to be mean, but your post reminds me of this conversation with a co-worker.  One morning I mentioned that I bought something (fish, meat or maybe cheese) at the deli counter and only asked for 1/4 pound.  I got .46 or something like that, but it was over .4 and she said "so you got just over 1/4 of a pound."  I asked "What do you mean?" She answered "1/4 of a pound is .4" and I said "No, it isn't. The scale is based on 16 ounces" and she still just looked at me with a blank stare.  I'm far from a math genius, and I know I make my own grammar gaffes & faux pas, but this was someone who likes to cook and raised a family!  I thought she had a headache since, as I said, I forget where I park my car half the time! But when I tried to explain that I got much more than I wanted, she just couldn't agree that .25 was a 1/4 of a pound and repeated that I must be very fussy (I'm not)  So I said that if I order 1/3 I should get .3-something and she said that sounded about right.  Then I asked her how 1/4 could be a larger amount than 1/3.  I believe I changed her life at that moment.  LOL 

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                  Member #5344
                  June 30, 2004
                  23641 Posts
                  Posted: May 25, 2008, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

AuntiePat, although the following happened over 15 years ago, I still can't forget it.  I know I have my senior moments, so I'm not trying to be mean, but your post reminds me of this conversation with a co-worker.  One morning I mentioned that I bought something (fish, meat or maybe cheese) at the deli counter and only asked for 1/4 pound.  I got .46 or something like that, but it was over .4 and she said "so you got just over 1/4 of a pound."  I asked "What do you mean?" She answered "1/4 of a pound is .4" and I said "No, it isn't. The scale is based on 16 ounces" and she still just looked at me with a blank stare.  I'm far from a math genius, and I know I make my own grammar gaffes & faux pas, but this was someone who likes to cook and raised a family!  I thought she had a headache since, as I said, I forget where I park my car half the time! But when I tried to explain that I got much more than I wanted, she just couldn't agree that .25 was a 1/4 of a pound and repeated that I must be very fussy (I'm not)  So I said that if I order 1/3 I should get .3-something and she said that sounded about right.  Then I asked her how 1/4 could be a larger amount than 1/3.  I believe I changed her life at that moment.  LOL 

1/4 of the pound should have been 4 ounces.    The scales should read in ounces.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
                    Member #59167
                    March 8, 2008
                    174 Posts
                    Posted: May 25, 2008, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

Wow!  Since you quoted me, I have to assume you were responding to my post.  However, I see no connection to it whatsoever.

I'm not sure what rock you live under, but you really need to get out in the world more often.

Just for the uninformed, I have seen more of the world then most people.  I have spent thirty years in Korea, Viet Nam, Turkey, Itlay, England, Scotland, Phillipines, Iran, Iraq, Spain, Canada, Japan, Poland, Germany, Switzerland, Greece,  Albania, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Russia, Sweden, this list goes on  All but twelve states.

In most foriegn countrys I learned to speak the language and toured every part I could get to. I learned to live with the people, and exist as they do.  None of them whined as much as an American Liberal looking for free pay checks, even when they were starving.  I fought with rebels in Afghanistan long before the Liberals knew there was an Afghanistan to whine about.  In the 1960s I was feeding rebels, in the Congo, with portions of my food.  In that same timeline, I was protecting American women during a revolution in Ethiopia from rapist and mad men.

No, I have never lived under a rock.  I have been there and done that.  I did not spend my life in some little hick town, protected by mommie and daddie, and aunt mary.  I went out into the world, and participated in more ways of life then you know exist.  I communicate with people in more places then you can name without a map.  People I got to know during good times and bad times, but, none the less, were able to take what the world threw at them and come out smiling.  Unlike the whiners who want some one else to pay for the medical care, or provide them free food for existing.  I don't need to be politically correct, or spend my time worry about whos tender little toosies might be stepped on.  Being an American is not being a whiner.

Sandra Dee's avatar - dandy
                      Bayonne
                      United States
                      Member #61147
                      May 13, 2008
                      129 Posts
                      Posted: May 29, 2008, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

@ MeFirstYouLast

I communicate with people in more places then you can name without a map.

--------------------------------

like that gorgeous num-nut so eloquently put it

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh, people out there in our nation don`t have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as, uh, South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, uh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa - and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries."

Green laugh

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                        Member #24380
                        October 21, 2005
                        623 Posts
                        Posted: June 5, 2008, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

No, I have not told strangers, just family and friends.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          5114 Posts
                          Posted: June 7, 2008, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

"PLEASE>PLEASE>PLEASE"........AP:

Will "HILLIARY CARE".....................really CARE or do we stand in LINE

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>......................"YES">>>>>>>>>>>>>"DAM-IT"!!

LIKE @ the DAM>>>..................... AIRPORT's <<<just 2 board ah jet?

just to see a dam doctor (before U DIE)?

"GET" a Life >> Lottery Post>> vote 2 win a JP$

LOL

PSYKOMO

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                            Beautiful Florida
                            United States
                            Member #5709
                            July 18, 2004
                            20106 Posts
                            Posted: June 8, 2008, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

ROTFL Laughing 1 ROTFL Laughing 1 ROTFL Laughing 1 

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                              Beautiful Florida
                              United States
                              Member #5709
                              July 18, 2004
                              20106 Posts
                              Posted: June 8, 2008, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

Just for the uninformed, I have seen more of the world then most people.  I have spent thirty years in Korea, Viet Nam, Turkey, Itlay, England, Scotland, Phillipines, Iran, Iraq, Spain, Canada, Japan, Poland, Germany, Switzerland, Greece,  Albania, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Russia, Sweden, this list goes on  All but twelve states.

In most foriegn countrys I learned to speak the language and toured every part I could get to. I learned to live with the people, and exist as they do.  None of them whined as much as an American Liberal looking for free pay checks, even when they were starving.  I fought with rebels in Afghanistan long before the Liberals knew there was an Afghanistan to whine about.  In the 1960s I was feeding rebels, in the Congo, with portions of my food.  In that same timeline, I was protecting American women during a revolution in Ethiopia from rapist and mad men.

No, I have never lived under a rock.  I have been there and done that.  I did not spend my life in some little hick town, protected by mommie and daddie, and aunt mary.  I went out into the world, and participated in more ways of life then you know exist.  I communicate with people in more places then you can name without a map.  People I got to know during good times and bad times, but, none the less, were able to take what the world threw at them and come out smiling.  Unlike the whiners who want some one else to pay for the medical care, or provide them free food for existing.  I don't need to be politically correct, or spend my time worry about whos tender little toosies might be stepped on.  Being an American is not being a whiner.

Ever thought about becoming a politician since you're so well versed  and so worldly? You either have a hellacious chip on your shoulder or you have lived under a rock so to speak. In my humble opinion you need to open your eye's instead of that thing you call a mouth since nothing but resentment comes out of it.

Nah, guys like you feel as though it's all yours and don't want to share it with anyone else, or feel as though when someones in need they stand there with their hands out. Some do, but it's been created by guys just like you who think they were born with a silver spoon up their Arse who had a nanny following them to wipe their dribble off their chin. You're absolutely right being an American is not being a whiner, but never forget this, Americans created this mess hands down, now, where did you state you were from???

SSgt 5th Special Forces "D" Grp. Vietnam 1968-1972    Maddog10.

Hell son, I'm just getting started. 

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "