Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Surprise $1,000,000 in your Bank Account

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 8 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

You've alerted the Bank and they have no idea where it came from - now what?

Quietly move it to offshore Swiss/Cayman accounts [ 6 ]  [7.79%]
Call the Feds and let them know [ 8 ]  [10.39%]
Do nothing .. it must be a set up [ 11 ]  [14.29%]
Spend it IMMEDIATELY! my account, my money! [ 3 ]  [3.90%]
Wait for a month, then use it [ 13 ]  [16.88%]
Never use, ask Bank to remove it [ 20 ]  [25.97%]
I don't know what I would do [ 12 ]  [15.58%]
Other [ 4 ]  [5.19%]
Total Valid Votes [ 77 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Sandra Dee's avatar - dandy
Bayonne
United States
Member #61147
May 13, 2008
129 Posts
Posted: May 29, 2008, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

Now, I wish my bank would surprise or make mistakes like this with my account - but my moral compass is actually screwed, as my first thought was to move it and move ME out of the country! But for the more honest lot as yourselves, how do you go about handling this good "fortune"?

What?

DC81's avatar - batman39
    MI
    United States
    Member #54830
    August 31, 2007
    985 Posts
    Posted: May 29, 2008, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

I'd say do nothing with it if just for the fact that the mistake will be noticed and they'll find it and they'll be demanding their money back and if you don't have it due to moving it or spending it you're going to be in trouble.

You can't predict random.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: May 29, 2008, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

My answer:  I would immediately notify the bank, then the Feds.  Even if it's their mistake you can be held liable and go to prison.  In no way should you spend it, as tempting as it might be.  The money came from somewhere and it will be noticed during an audit. Wasn't there a story on the news not long ago about a woman who was getting large direct deposits and spent the money?  Years later she was caught and prosecuted.  Can anyone find this story?

I'm not sure if this is a poll about honesty or the right thing to do in a situation.  You can't hide a million dollars that easily.  Yes, you can put it somewhere and try to hide the mistake.  So let's say the question here is "If you found a million dollars, knew it wasn't another person's lifelong savings and just a government screw-up, were guaranteed by an attorney that you could get away with it and never be caught, what would you do?"  In that case, I'd keep it.

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49758 Posts
        Posted: May 29, 2008, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

If you have a large amount of Cash, you have to be able to prove that you came into posession of the Money Legally. If you can't Prove you obtained the Money Legally they assume you came into posession of the Money Illegally and Confiscate the Cash.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
          Member #5344
          June 30, 2004
          23641 Posts
          Posted: May 29, 2008, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

If you have a large amount of Cash, you have to be able to prove that you came into posession of the Money Legally. If you can't Prove you obtained the Money Legally they assume you came into posession of the Money Illegally and Confiscate the Cash.

I would ask the bank to remove it.   I dont want to pay taxes on it.... or the interest it received.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: May 29, 2008, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

There's nothing you can do to hide it.

By law, any amount 10,000 or over depositied will automatically be notified to the IRS.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              6537 Posts
              Posted: May 29, 2008, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

If I found a million dollars in my bank that wasn't mine, I would contact the bank.

I heard a guy wound up with a large amount of cash in his bank account and he didn't know where it came from. He ended up spending some it and was arrested because it wasn't his.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

bigato1010's avatar - army

United States
                Member #33588
                February 22, 2006
                2068 Posts
                Posted: May 29, 2008, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

Now, I wish my bank would surprise or make mistakes like this with my account - but my moral compass is actually screwed, as my first thought was to move it and move ME out of the country! But for the more honest lot as yourselves, how do you go about handling this good "fortune"?

What?

cool 1 million is too much of a mistake. Someone will come after the bank account sooner than later. i will be like hey bank manager come get your money you Dumb %$S. You trying to set me up for some big trouble. Hey sandra i like this cat better this is a cool cat. Lol   later. 

Bayonne
                  United States
                  Member #61147
                  May 13, 2008
                  129 Posts
                  Posted: May 29, 2008, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

There's nothing you can do to hide it.

By law, any amount 10,000 or over depositied will automatically be notified to the IRS.

I'm not exactly sure about that one - maybe they are supposed to but depending the bank - my mother received a nice two digit $K sum and her bank told IRS and everyone else [started receiving credit card invites] my father had same amount in his credit union .. nada .. no IRS no nothing .. so, some of us with credit unions and other foreign accounts, know it won't be touched or much less checked .. the SWIFT system is tricky but with western union, please, i've had money chilling in there without as much of as a call from the bank clerk .. so, it's possible ..

Bayonne
                    United States
                    Member #61147
                    May 13, 2008
                    129 Posts
                    Posted: May 29, 2008, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

cool 1 million is too much of a mistake. Someone will come after the bank account sooner than later. i will be like hey bank manager come get your money you Dumb %$S. You trying to set me up for some big trouble. Hey sandra i like this cat better this is a cool cat. Lol   later. 

this cat is authorized by lottery post .. the other was some fong-kong off the internet so it would post sometimes and other times some red x error sign .. i know ezmoney jinxed me! i kid i kid

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                      Member #4877
                      May 30, 2004
                      5121 Posts
                      Posted: May 29, 2008, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

What?

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeee>>>>>>>Sandra Dee:

PSYKO had to vote OTHER on this won <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

BUT, I did send my MONY to REV RIGHT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

(not mutual of Omaha) <<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<?

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeee>>>>>>>PSYKO does get MIXED-UP  ^^^^^^^^

TRANSLATION:

I want my "BLE$$ING NOW"!!!!!!

I want my "JACKPOT"!!!

I want $MONY$ (not change)!

PSYKOMO

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10351 Posts
                        Posted: May 29, 2008, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

For one thing, this smacks of being one of those sweepstake checks scams.

For another, if $1,000,000 shows up in your bank account unexpectedly, you're going to be a baning fraud suspect.

When computers were in the infant stage, two teenagers in Boston hacked into a bank's computers and set up an account that took a few cents from everey deposit.

Unknown to them, this was a Federal Reseverve bank and in a very short time there was enough in the account to get a lot of attention.

In another case, a woman in Miami knew how to code the deposit slips that the bank left out in the lobby so all depotis made with those slips would go into her account.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

EZMoney's avatar - weedss04lx1

United States
                          Member #415
                          June 22, 2002
                          418 Posts
                          Posted: May 29, 2008, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

United States
                            Member #4877
                            May 30, 2004
                            5121 Posts
                            Posted: May 29, 2008, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeee>>>>>>>Sandra Dee:

PSYKO had to vote OTHER on this won <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

BUT, I did send my MONY to REV RIGHT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

(not mutual of Omaha) <<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<?

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeee>>>>>>>PSYKO does get MIXED-UP  ^^^^^^^^

TRANSLATION:

I want my "BLE$$ING NOW"!!!!!!

I want my "JACKPOT"!!!

I want $MONY$ (not change)!

PSYKOMO

U-got-it........TYOTO..........I want>>CHANGE>>not<<<<<<<<change<<

THANK'sssss$$$$$$ to LP we takk about MAKINK>>>>MONY$$$$$$$$

not>taking>what>U>mak

LIKE the MAKO shark>>>>>>>>>who like's to EAT-YOU>>>>>>>>>>>

TELL the DEMOCRAT'ssssssssssss if YOU "don't like 2 GET EATTEN"!!!!

..........GOD please HELP us STUP's to VOTE>>>>>I WILL stay HOME!!!!!

IN the meanwhile,>>>>>>>>>>>>PLAY>>>>>>>"JACKPOT"$$$$$$$$$

PSYKOMO

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5121 Posts
                              Posted: May 29, 2008, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

My answer:  I would immediately notify the bank, then the Feds.  Even if it's their mistake you can be held liable and go to prison.  In no way should you spend it, as tempting as it might be.  The money came from somewhere and it will be noticed during an audit. Wasn't there a story on the news not long ago about a woman who was getting large direct deposits and spent the money?  Years later she was caught and prosecuted.  Can anyone find this story?

I'm not sure if this is a poll about honesty or the right thing to do in a situation.  You can't hide a million dollars that easily.  Yes, you can put it somewhere and try to hide the mistake.  So let's say the question here is "If you found a million dollars, knew it wasn't another person's lifelong savings and just a government screw-up, were guaranteed by an attorney that you could get away with it and never be caught, what would you do?"  In that case, I'd keep it.

I agree Justxploring:

WITH all UR great KNOWLEDGE ???????????????? KAN-U- HELP^^^^^

????????????????pur little mony???????????????? EZMoneY???^^^^^Tell

WILL U or HEE?? pay all D attorney?????????????  FEE'$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

HOPE U gull's HAVE >>>>>>>>>>DEEP-POCKET'$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

...........................EZ>>>>>>>>>>NOW-MONY....get UR head out of >>>

between the......LEGGO'$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL

PSYKOMO