Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do you play the lottery?

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 8 years ago by kokocat.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

What's your main purpose for playing the lotto?

To never have to work again [ 10 ]  [10.99%]
To buy expensive things [ 4 ]  [4.40%]
To help take care of others [ 5 ]  [5.49%]
To have financial security [ 18 ]  [19.78%]
To see if I can beat the odds [ 9 ]  [9.89%]
To enjoy that 'what ifs' before the drawing [ 3 ]  [3.30%]
All of the above [ 36 ]  [39.56%]
None of the above [ 6 ]  [6.59%]
Total Valid Votes [ 91 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
sweetbitterkiss's avatar - hello
Michigan
United States
Member #59499
March 17, 2008
54 Posts
Posted: June 2, 2008, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

To never have to work again

one day my life will be complete ^_^

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
    Member #4877
    May 30, 2004
    5124 Posts
    Posted: June 2, 2008, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

Dancethe challenge..

I want to do what they say can't be done...

DanceDance

Voted >> none of the ........ABOVE >> but, the challenge >>>>>>>>>

I Agree!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> with >>>>TNT !!

PSYKO ...... consider'$$$$$$$$$$$ ...... entertainment DrumDance

LOL     ......  >>>>>   $$$$$$$$$$   .....  JACKPOT >>>  Puke

PSYKOMO

United States
      Member #58528
      February 18, 2008
      710 Posts
      Posted: June 2, 2008, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

To win enough money that I can do just about anything I want to do without worrying about the cost!

Think's avatar - lightbulb
        Marquette, MI
        United States
        Member #20541
        August 20, 2005
        705 Posts
        Posted: June 2, 2008, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

I put "None of the Above".

I play to Win the Jackpot!

I would set some money aside but I have some Ideas for some things that I could then finance.

One2Adore's avatar - butterfly2
          Maryland
          United States
          Member #50566
          March 8, 2007
          88 Posts
          Posted: June 2, 2008, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

"But I really enjoy the "what if" part though.  As soon as I buy my ticket, it starts.  What if this is the winning ticket?"

I think most pick-3 and 4 players not only enjoy the "what if" part but have actually experienced the "cashing a winning ticket" part and the next time they buy a ticket they know it's a real possibility. Multi-million dollar jackpot games that could provide financial security have been around for over 20 years and most of those players have never experienced cashing the winning ticket.

Having those "what if" moments is a good reason for playing the huge jackpot games for over 20 years but its included in "all the above".  The affect of beating the odds would be financial security and vice-versa. Even by checking "other" the affect will always be "all the above" so no real conclusion can be gained from your poll.

I'm not sure I get your point.  This wasn't about small jackpots (pick 3/4)  vs. large jackpots (MM/PB).  This was about why people play the large jackpot games.   I wanted to see why others played the lottery and if their reasoning was like mines.  So I guess if  I were looking for a "conclusion", I guess that would be it.  That others DO play the lottery for the same reasons that I do. 

You hear of people who hardly ever play the lottery and they end up winning a huge jackpot and then say they want a "normal" life.  Before they won, they had a "normal" life.  So that made me wonder why did they play in the first place.  This is where the poll came from really.

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
            Member #60535
            April 21, 2008
            460 Posts
            Posted: June 2, 2008, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

you didn't include:

to stay home and play video games all day!!

LOL

trulyblessed's avatar - yocco
              Durham, North Carolina
              United States
              Member #58710
              February 23, 2008
              6868 Posts
              Posted: June 2, 2008, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

I do it for the rush, the thrill of the hunt and the glory of a win!!! It's also my stress reliever!!!

Lovies

DC81's avatar - batman39
                MI
                United States
                Member #54830
                August 31, 2007
                985 Posts
                Posted: June 3, 2008, 12:39 am - IP Logged

you didn't include:

to stay home and play video games all day!!

LOL

On a huge TV and expensive sound system in a personal theatre room! Banana

I picked all of the above too, big surprise. Having a "normal life" is continuing what you've always done, being the same person you always are, I sure as hell wouldn't want that. I think winning a big jackpot would be a huge change that would probably be positive in several factors of my current life, even with the potential problems with coming into sudden money. I'd be happy to deal with that those problems, as long as I don't die within a few months of winning..

You can't predict random.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10353 Posts
                  Posted: June 3, 2008, 2:32 am - IP Logged

The lottery is the average person's only hope of ever really making a substantial score and chaning their life.

It's a dollar and a dream, literally.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Bondi Junction
                    Australia
                    Member #57242
                    December 24, 2007
                    1102 Posts
                    Posted: June 3, 2008, 5:28 am - IP Logged

None of the above!

I play as I agree with lotteries and how they raise funds for various projects and services.

For example; some of the UK lottery funds are being used to help finance the 2012 Olympics.

Pogo's avatar - wfl
                      NC
                      United States
                      Member #29378
                      January 1, 2006
                      552 Posts
                      Posted: June 3, 2008, 7:31 am - IP Logged

I have an addiction problem and love to gamble..Bet bet bet!!!..

I like to gamble a little myself - okay, maybe a little more than a little, too... But, if you're feeling it's becoming a problem you can call 1-800-GAMBLER - their some nice folks that will attempt to help you... I digress, My vote goes to Financial Security first & helping others 2nd... Good Luck m8, Pogo

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                        Washington State
                        United States
                        Member #33973
                        February 26, 2006
                        347 Posts
                        Posted: June 3, 2008, 10:20 am - IP Logged

"Several of the above" would probably be my most accurate reply, but that wasn't a choice.  Since I'm already retired, I can't say that "to never have to work again" is a reason.  I have no interest in diamonds or fancy cars or a home theater, etc., though I would make an uptick in my living style.  But not enough to consider "to buy expensive things" a major factor. 

I do, however, enjoy the "what if's" after I buy a ticket, and I often don't even check the ticket until the next day to prolong the fantasy a little longer.  (That gets more entertainment value for my money!)  Certainly financial security is a major factor.  However, if I were only concerned about my own financial security, I'd stick to playing the state lotto, where a jackpot win would provide amply for me and where there are much better odds.  But instead I tend to buy MM tickets about 4 to 5 times as often.  So I guess if I had to pick just one of the choices, my choice would have to be "to help take care of others," as I would share a jackpot win with a large number of relatives, most of whose financial situation is worse (some far worse) than mine.

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7314 Posts
                          Posted: June 3, 2008, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure I get your point.  This wasn't about small jackpots (pick 3/4)  vs. large jackpots (MM/PB).  This was about why people play the large jackpot games.   I wanted to see why others played the lottery and if their reasoning was like mines.  So I guess if  I were looking for a "conclusion", I guess that would be it.  That others DO play the lottery for the same reasons that I do. 

You hear of people who hardly ever play the lottery and they end up winning a huge jackpot and then say they want a "normal" life.  Before they won, they had a "normal" life.  So that made me wonder why did they play in the first place.  This is where the poll came from really.

By excluding the smaller odds and payout games it becomes exactly what Coin Toss said "A dollar and a dream" no matter how many different reasons there is to play. I suppose the people that hardly ever play, do play for the same the same reason most people play; to have the chance of winning a multi-million dollar jackpot and the fact that people do win justifies playing.

My point with winning a few thousand in the much smaller odds games like pick-3 and pick-4 is actually knowing how it feels to win. Those winners know it only slightly affected their normal lives and know because of that how a huge jackpot win could greatly affect their normal lives.

If there are any conclusions from your poll is that most people play to change their lives and a couple bucks for that dream is well worth it. I've noticed that more people discuss their dreams than those discussing a real strategy that could make their dream a reality. 

Maryland
                            United States
                            Member #50566
                            March 8, 2007
                            88 Posts
                            Posted: June 3, 2008, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

By excluding the smaller odds and payout games it becomes exactly what Coin Toss said "A dollar and a dream" no matter how many different reasons there is to play. I suppose the people that hardly ever play, do play for the same the same reason most people play; to have the chance of winning a multi-million dollar jackpot and the fact that people do win justifies playing.

My point with winning a few thousand in the much smaller odds games like pick-3 and pick-4 is actually knowing how it feels to win. Those winners know it only slightly affected their normal lives and know because of that how a huge jackpot win could greatly affect their normal lives.

If there are any conclusions from your poll is that most people play to change their lives and a couple bucks for that dream is well worth it. I've noticed that more people discuss their dreams than those discussing a real strategy that could make their dream a reality. 

*shaking my head*  You don't seem to get it and appear to be making more out of this than there should be.  So I will except your comment and let it go.

Maryland
                              United States
                              Member #50566
                              March 8, 2007
                              88 Posts
                              Posted: June 3, 2008, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

Originally posted by Uff Da!

"I do, however, enjoy the "what if's" after I buy a ticket, and I often don't even check the ticket until the next day to prolong the fantasy a little longer.  (That gets more entertainment value for my money!)"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do that too!!   Yes Nod