Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do you play the lottery?

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 8 years ago by kokocat.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

What's your main purpose for playing the lotto?

To never have to work again [ 10 ]  [10.99%]
To buy expensive things [ 4 ]  [4.40%]
To help take care of others [ 5 ]  [5.49%]
To have financial security [ 18 ]  [19.78%]
To see if I can beat the odds [ 9 ]  [9.89%]
To enjoy that 'what ifs' before the drawing [ 3 ]  [3.30%]
All of the above [ 36 ]  [39.56%]
None of the above [ 6 ]  [6.59%]
Total Valid Votes [ 91 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Long Island, NY
United States
Member #57412
January 3, 2008
419 Posts
Posted: June 13, 2008, 11:12 am - IP Logged

Of course the money is important but mostly it's "the thrill of accomplishing the nearly impossible".

I have had to do that many times in my life.  No drug or booze can provide me the high that accompishing goals brings.

Most recently though, as a new member of LP, I would like to join the ranks of members who actually have won a jackpot.....and make any contributons I can to helping others here who have supported and encouraged me in my efforts.

JAP69's avatar - alas
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #6
    November 4, 2001
    8790 Posts
    Posted: June 13, 2008, 11:19 am - IP Logged

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Green laugh

WHATT

Lotto*Love's avatar - lips
      Washington *state*
      United States
      Member #62009
      June 14, 2008
      192 Posts
      Posted: June 14, 2008, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

I'd have to say to be set for life.  When I think about winning, I do get the sense of what next?  I'd be totally clueless as to what to do while driving home from the lottery office. lol sounds stupid huh? I mean some would say they would head for the nearest BMW lot or something like that...........buy a boat on the way home.  All I can think of is pay off all the bills and go grocery shopping. haha I think I'd be the most boring lottery winner to follow around...are you kidding! Your still cutting coupons?! I think I just want to be able to live comfy. BUT I can tell you this.....I'm headed for Hawaii most def!  Its been kinda a dream of mine for a long, long time.

Surrender You can run, but you can't hide mighty Jackpot...surrender to me at once!

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #1340
        April 6, 2003
        2450 Posts
        Posted: June 21, 2008, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

All of the above for sure.

The most important not listed reason is for the false hope... I play one PB ticket per draw regardless of the Jackpot. I know that the odds are ridiculous but I play it anyway.

I hate the "distributed indentured servitude" that this country has declined into (too much of your income goes to the evil I's... interest and insurances... and we didn't even get into the skyrocketing fuel costs and soon to be deregulated energy bills to come). I hate being a number in a factory, and how your civil rights do not exist in the private workplace (bill of rights only protects you from the government, and private employers are exempt)

Every wednesday and saturday I can enjoy the false hope that maybe this draw will be the one... maybe I can rise above. When it doesn't work out, I'm not mad about it, I just enjoy having the chance... to me that is worth the $2 a draw (powerplay ticket)!

I actually won more than I spent in my brief encounters with the pick3, but that's just not exciting, there is no false hope potential there. As long as PA is in the powerball, I will always have a ticket... the most likely outcome is that I NEVER win anything substatial, I'm o.k. with that, but the false hope of a potential win is well worth the $2 price of admission. Whether I use my one-line system du jour or a QP, I have not missed a drawing since PA sold the Powerball.

I do like planning the "what-if"s, I know for certain that IF I won I would not be a rags to riches to rags story. Best part is I don't even need to win the jackpot, the after tax value of the 5+0 prize with the minimum multiplier of 2 is enough to completely erase my debt and buy a new place outright in the place we really want to live.

I got my ticket for tonight,

here goes nothing... again

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
          Magnolia, Delaware
          United States
          Member #18795
          July 20, 2005
          789 Posts
          Posted: June 21, 2008, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

I put "all of the above". I play for all those reasons.

I Agree! Ditto!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
            Nova Scotia
            Canada
            Member #9934
            December 27, 2004
            884 Posts
            Posted: June 21, 2008, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

I want to win the millionaire jackpot. So I can stop working if I choose to , and finally, finally travel wherever in the world that my heart and soul desires to travel to. Also frankly I am tired of these guys or women winning that make alot more money then I do and I've been struggling.

I want to beat the competition and know that I am smart enough and lucky enough to accomplish it and have the financial freedom. Any of the arrogant or negative people that have thought that I wouldn't win a few jackpots, I'd love to prove them wrong.

I have seen alot of my younger neighbours moving away and I feel pretty foolish for still living in the same place due to finances..

Most importantly I am tired of living with my mother and dearly want to move away somewhere.Dance

One2Adore's avatar - butterfly2
              Maryland
              United States
              Member #50566
              March 8, 2007
              88 Posts
              Posted: June 29, 2008, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

All of the above for sure.

The most important not listed reason is for the false hope... I play one PB ticket per draw regardless of the Jackpot. I know that the odds are ridiculous but I play it anyway.

I hate the "distributed indentured servitude" that this country has declined into (too much of your income goes to the evil I's... interest and insurances... and we didn't even get into the skyrocketing fuel costs and soon to be deregulated energy bills to come). I hate being a number in a factory, and how your civil rights do not exist in the private workplace (bill of rights only protects you from the government, and private employers are exempt)

Every wednesday and saturday I can enjoy the false hope that maybe this draw will be the one... maybe I can rise above. When it doesn't work out, I'm not mad about it, I just enjoy having the chance... to me that is worth the $2 a draw (powerplay ticket)!

I actually won more than I spent in my brief encounters with the pick3, but that's just not exciting, there is no false hope potential there. As long as PA is in the powerball, I will always have a ticket... the most likely outcome is that I NEVER win anything substatial, I'm o.k. with that, but the false hope of a potential win is well worth the $2 price of admission. Whether I use my one-line system du jour or a QP, I have not missed a drawing since PA sold the Powerball.

I do like planning the "what-if"s, I know for certain that IF I won I would not be a rags to riches to rags story. Best part is I don't even need to win the jackpot, the after tax value of the 5+0 prize with the minimum multiplier of 2 is enough to completely erase my debt and buy a new place outright in the place we really want to live.

I got my ticket for tonight,

here goes nothing... again

Wow... I thought I was the only one who thought like this.   It's nice to know I'm not the only one.  I absolutely LOVE the 'what if' aspect of playing the lottery.  Knowing there's not a snoball's chance in h*ll that I'll win. 

My favorite line: "Every wednesday and saturday I can enjoy the false hope that maybe this draw will be the one... maybe I can rise above. When it doesn't work out, I'm not mad about it, I just enjoy having the chance... to me that is worth the $2 a draw (powerplay ticket)!"

Only for me, it's every Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.  I play both MM and PB.

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.

United States
                Member #62234
                June 21, 2008
                37 Posts
                Posted: June 29, 2008, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

to win baby!