Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you personally know any lottery winners?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 8 years ago by keepitreal.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
484 Posts
Posted: June 3, 2008, 11:53 am - IP Logged

I was thinking about the posts recently made by EZMoney.  I don't know EZMoney personally, but I was a member of Lottery Post when EZMoney won the $100,000 back in 2002.  My name was goldeneye26 at the time.    I remember when Todd put a scanned picture of that ticket on here in 2002.  I always wondered what happened to EZMoney all these years.  He is far more arrogant now than he was years ago, but in a way, it is good to see past lottery post members return.

Now that I think of it, this brings up an interesting question.  Do you know any winners of any large amount of money in your hometown and what happened to them as a result of it?  I am just curious to know, that's all.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: June 3, 2008, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

What do you mean by "large?"  As I've always said, I am very happy to win $10 bucks, but I don't consider $100,000 to be a big win.

Wasn't there another member who won $200,000 or more?  I remember Todd posting the ticket. 

We also don't know for certain if other members here have won millions.  Not everyone likes to advertise! 

To answer your question, I knew a couple (friends of a friend) about 20 years ago who won over $1M in Massachusetts.  They were about 40 with 2 children in school, so they stayed in the same house, kept their jobs,and put the money in investments.  I also worked with a woman many years ago who won about $475K on vacation in Vegas at the slots.  Why she came back and told everyone is a mystery to me. She kept her job and invested in real estate.  Other than these 2, I've known a few people who got $5,000 or $10,000 with scratchers, no giant jackpots.

Edit:  Back in the 70s when there was a Wed night drawing in MA for $50,000 (called the Big Game) I knew a family from Boston that won.  They moved out of their run-down apartment in the city and put a downpayment on a house in the burbs. 

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
      Washington State
      United States
      Member #33973
      February 26, 2006
      347 Posts
      Posted: June 3, 2008, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

No, I don't know any jackpot winners personally.  I do, however, know the mother of one, and she has had some interesting tales to tell.  One of her sons won a jackpot of about 6 million dollars, so I've heard some interesting tales.  Apparently her son quit work and had a big house built.  But he soon became bored and went back to work on a part time basis before the end of a year.  From what I know of his occupation, I'd expect full time salary would be somewhere between $100,000 and $150,000, so it is not as though he had a boring factory job.  The win caused a rift in the family.  His brother demanded a gift of $100,000 and when the winner wouldn't produce it, he refused to have anything more to do with him even at holidays.  That is so hard for me to comprehend, as I know my family would not be like that at all.  But apparently from others on this website say, there are a lot of individuals and families like that.

DC81's avatar - batman39
        MI
        United States
        Member #54830
        August 31, 2007
        985 Posts
        Posted: June 3, 2008, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

The biggest winner I've known only won something like $1,000.

You can't predict random.

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
          Member #567
          August 14, 2002
          484 Posts
          Posted: June 3, 2008, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

"Wasn't there another member who won $200,000 or more?  I remember Todd posting the ticket. "

EZMoney won $100,000 from a Powerball drawing back in 2002.  Back then, the prize for matching the five white balls was $100,000.  I also remember Todd posting a picture of that ticket.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread.aspx?tp=168590&q=ezmoney+powerball&rp=search&get=960653

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8364 Posts
            Posted: June 3, 2008, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

"Wasn't there another member who won $200,000 or more?  I remember Todd posting the ticket. "

EZMoney won $100,000 from a Powerball drawing back in 2002.  Back then, the prize for matching the five white balls was $100,000.  I also remember Todd posting a picture of that ticket.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread.aspx?tp=168590&q=ezmoney+powerball&rp=search&get=960653

StGermain won the lil lotto twice i posted the pics but it is gone now. Last time we spoke he was doing fine.

My neighbors father won the Maryland lotto he won 2.5 million took the cash option paid his house off bough a new truck and gambled the rest at the horse tracks.

My co workers father won 1.2 million in a lottery pool he invested the money.  

Two brothers that owned a tavern near me won 5 million took the cash bought identical vans and spent the rest on bling items houses and furnishings.

Another coworker won 500 grand on a scratch off bought a new house cars and furnishings. Kept some dough for himself invested the rest and is now back at work.

Another neighbor of mine is a cousin of Bunky the mega millions winner he is doing fine and living the life fantastic.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
              Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7322 Posts
              Posted: June 3, 2008, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

I saw one of the four people I personally know that have won over $100,000 last Friday at a parade. He and another co-worker split a $20 million jackpot about 15 years ago, took the cash option and got a little over $4 million a piece . They both were eligible to and were planning on retiring the following year and both retired the next month. I don't know if they picked the numbers or got QPs, but I knew together they played $20 a week on Super Lotto. He never bragged or has talked about winning so I've never asked how he did.

The $100,000 winner told me his playing strategy before he won it in the 5/37 Buckeye 5 game; he keyed 3 numbers using just 4 combinations. He paid off his house, bought a truck, his wife a new car, and bought new a golf clubs that didn't help his game. 

The fourth won $1 million before there was a cash option and I actually found out he had won two months after he received the final payment. None of them won a huge amount like the PB and MM winners have in the last few years so remaining anonymous was as simple as getting an unlisted phone number and not saying anything that would catch the attention of the news media.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5124 Posts
                Posted: June 3, 2008, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

NO>>>But>>> O'BAMA is Bout-2!!!!!!

who know's ?? HE may win D JACKPOT!

don't give-UP>>>>U can hit Dee Pot 2!!

LOL

PSYKOMO

Republic of Texas
                  United States
                  Member #57557
                  January 9, 2008
                  1095 Posts
                  Posted: June 3, 2008, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

I didn't know this person personally, but when I accepted a new job, I was her replacement.  Obviously, she won enough from the lottery back in the mid-90's to quit working. The person there who knew her best would not say how much the gal won, but it was enough to buy a nice vacation resort at one of Michigan's many all season lakes.

At another job I had in the late 90's, one of the previous controllers just never showed up again. Not even a phone call.  Since he didn't show up in missing persons or the obituaries, there was all kinds of speculations about what happened, including rumors that he won the lottery. 

That is as close as I get. Cool

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                    Marquette, MI
                    United States
                    Member #20541
                    August 20, 2005
                    705 Posts
                    Posted: June 3, 2008, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

In 1984 Tom Lapenna ( I went to school with his son)  He was the first winner of Michigan 6/40.  In 1994 a woman I know won the Michigan 6/49 (I believe it was 49 then) Jackpot.  A waitress I know won the Michigan nightly Keno for $250,000.

I don't know anyone who has won big on scratch offs and I don't know anyone who has won Fantasy Five and as far as Mega Millions goes all those prizes are won in southeast Michigan with Warren (a suburb of Detroit) getting more than its fair share of Jackpots.

EZMoney's avatar - weedss04lx1

United States
                      Member #415
                      June 22, 2002
                      418 Posts
                      Posted: June 3, 2008, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

United States
                        Member #59720
                        March 25, 2008
                        52 Posts
                        Posted: June 4, 2008, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

My dad won $30,000 on a Euchre scratcher when I was younger. There was also a family who hit the powerball who lived about 10 minutes from me.

a$VeryLuckyMan's avatar - spherewall
                          Summerfield NC
                          United States
                          Member #61736
                          June 2, 2008
                          3714 Posts
                          Posted: June 4, 2008, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

i worked with a man in Concord NC, and his brother won the powerbal drawing for over 150 million about 10 or 11 years ago. He had never played the lottery in his life, and coming back from realatives in SC he decided to play a $1 ticket and hit!!!!!

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
                            Member #26882
                            November 23, 2005
                            1404 Posts
                            Posted: June 5, 2008, 12:02 am - IP Logged

My dad won $30,000 on a Euchre scratcher when I was younger. There was also a family who hit the powerball who lived about 10 minutes from me.

Don't know anyone that has won a big jackpot, however, I know a lady who just won 10,000 on a 2 dollar scratch ticket! Funny thing is she was in line right after my husband at the lottery machine, and my husband said he was thinking of buying two of that very same ticket she won the money off of but did not. So I said to him maybe she needed it more than us!

The name of the ticket is 10X ....ten times the money. Think of the odds of winning 10,000 on a 2 dollar scratch ticket!

az
                              United States
                              Member #50932
                              March 21, 2007
                              9 Posts
                              Posted: June 5, 2008, 1:45 am - IP Logged

in the az pick i hit 5 of 6 for about $1700, Hurray!split it with my father. a year later my father hit 5 of 6 alsoHyper. i told him to keep it when he offered me half. told him i owe him a lot more then that for raising me right.Big Grin Angel

i also have a friend that won $1000 a week for life on a scatcher back before AZ had the pick. of course now he only gets $500 a week.

wait for it

his ex wife gets the other $500Argue

later jim