Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you personally know any lottery winners?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 8 years ago by keepitreal.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Pogo's avatar - wfl
NC
United States
Member #29378
January 1, 2006
552 Posts
Posted: June 5, 2008, 8:04 am - IP Logged

in the az pick i hit 5 of 6 for about $1700, Hurray!split it with my father. a year later my father hit 5 of 6 alsoHyper. i told him to keep it when he offered me half. told him i owe him a lot more then that for raising me right.Big Grin Angel

i also have a friend that won $1000 a week for life on a scatcher back before AZ had the pick. of course now he only gets $500 a week.

wait for it

his ex wife gets the other $500Argue

later jim

I like the sharing thing myself - My Dad & I split our winnings with each other too... 1 person I knew hit $15000 on a scratcher and someone else we see at the machine a lot hit $10000 on a scratcher - both in VA... Don't know anyone that has hit anything on scratchers in NC... Pogo

United States
    Member #58528
    February 18, 2008
    710 Posts
    Posted: June 5, 2008, 11:05 am - IP Logged

I won $21,000 on a two dollar scratcher a few years ago.After taxes I got  a little over $14,000.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
      Member #24380
      October 21, 2005
      623 Posts
      Posted: June 5, 2008, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

Nope.

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
        Portland,Oregon
        United States
        Member #14387
        April 25, 2005
        229 Posts
        Posted: June 5, 2008, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

About 15 years ago a colleague/friend and her husband of mine won $2.5 million in our state lottery.... she got to quit the job and I'm still there trying to prove that the bolt of lottery lighning can strike twice in the same place ;) 

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
          Just outside of Cleveland, OH
          United States
          Member #54079
          August 3, 2007
          106 Posts
          Posted: June 6, 2008, 8:53 am - IP Logged

2 peeps actually 3--both had very different endings

Actually peep #1 was a member of a lottery club that worked at a local racetrack, .  .  . everyone kicked in $10/wk on Ohio's Lotto.  As sometimes happens, after years of playing some of those (who live closer to the edge of financial ruin than others) complained and just failed to kick in their sawbuck--two weeks later the club won.  We were happy that our friend had won as he was able to finance a restaurant for his wife that is still pretty successful.  Don't remember the amounts won per person but the two who failed to pay sued and lost so the money was held pending the outcome of the trial.  And then couple of years later we were sitting with a guard from that racetrack at a funeral and one of the ones who didn't win the money made a snide remark to the guy and his wife with whom we were sitting--our friend the guard, just let the comment pass and later told us that he was another one of the winners from that same jackpot--(who incidentally--was using his for a retirement account so was still suiting up and showing up for work each day)--and the other guy was still bitter and had quit his job and he could understand the loser's position.  So cool story as both guys were mature and chose wisely.

Peep #2--totally other story--last year guy my S.O. sponsors in a 12 Step Program won the 2nd tier MM--yup--quarter of a mill large.  This guy ran through his money after roofing his parents' house and giving a nice amount to his girlfriend who had to claim the money for him so he would not interrupt his disability claim (yup--I KNOW it wouldn't have interrupted his disability claim but I only found out about the win much later==so my input was neither requested nor would have been welcomed).  I only found out when our sponsoree was on his way to jail for Domestic Violence both on the gf that claimed the money for him and on his ex-wife--he hit the anger management exacta that week--and was calling my guy for bail money at which time my S.O. exploded and asked where all his winnings were--I think you can all figure out the reply--gone, with the proverbial wind--LOL  Very sad when someone wins who is already arrogant and has poor impulse control--and there have been times in the past time since lurking and eventually joining this site when I see so many other answering those "What If. . ." questions in such a way that I can see our poor, presently incarcerated and broke former winner. 

He certainly has been a good bad example.

Oh==and I forgot a girl in my aerobics class many years ago whose husband won a small OH Lotto (about 1 mill) before there was a Mega Millions or Powerall-this enabled them to buy a new house, she quit work and had a baby and they invested the rest in retirement--nice level headed people

Wow--I guess I knew more than I thought.

Ironton
            United States
            Member #30558
            January 18, 2006
            10 Posts
            Posted: June 7, 2008, 11:45 am - IP Logged

I do know a couple of people who won the powerball jackpot in KY. Their story is not a pleasant one for them or their families. Drugs played a big part in bringing them down. All of the good they done was marred by the image they have built for themselves. Their actual take home was 27 mil. in 7 years it is gone.

San Diego
              United States
              Member #46705
              September 23, 2006
              55 Posts
              Posted: June 7, 2008, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

Here's are my stories:

Bonehead #1 - We were in a trade school and he won a couple of million dollars. He quit school, bought a nice car, was having a nice time until he got pulled over and jailed for possession of cocaine, etc. This was in 1986 which I believe was before you had the chance to take the whole payout and correct me if I am wrong, you cannot will 20 year payouts to anyone if you die. Stupido!!

Airhead #2 - We were hired at a company and started on the same day. I heard through the grapevine that her husband hit the lottery which was about 6 million dollars. Where do I start with this one....They both had drug problems.  The husband became a stay at home dad and cooked lunch for the chick every day for her to take to work and took care of the kids and dropped her off because she did not drive. He brought a nice Corvette, a BMW that somehow got repossessed. Had a custome home built and were having marriage problems. She started fooling around with another guy in the office and her husband came up and beat up the guy in the parking lot. The house had no furniture in it because again this was before you could take a cash payout so that had gone through their check for the year. It get's better. She decided to start driving so she brought a fully loaded Grand Cherokee and was still running around with the guy at work. Well theCherokee got "stolen"(repo'd is our guess) and all of the guy's cd's were in the Jeep. So off to the dealership to get a fully loaded Pathfinder. When you win a lottery, the stealerships are your friends. Well, her and the husband finally got divorced and I am sure she got part of what was left of the money. She then left the company to open her own dressshop which she purchased as a business. This girl had some nice clothes. I never saw her wear the same outfit twice in a month.

I would love to hit enough to pay off all my obligations and have enough to go camping and I would be happy, but these Darwin Award winners win millions and don't know their heads from their "you know whats".

DC81's avatar - batman39
                MI
                United States
                Member #54830
                August 31, 2007
                985 Posts
                Posted: June 7, 2008, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

It's just a little frustrating that all these idiots win, isn't it? Unfortunately I think that's because a vast majority of lottery players, specifically big jackpot ones, are Darwin Award nominees. I kind of wish I was a lot dumber than I am, maybe I'd have a better shot.

You can't predict random.

San Diego
                  United States
                  Member #46705
                  September 23, 2006
                  55 Posts
                  Posted: June 7, 2008, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

You hit the nail on the head when you said that. Then again, I look at the poor choices I made within the last year and wonder how much smarter I am compared to these idiots? At least they are or were richer. Maybe I should play a bit more than I do. I definately don't do drugs so I know my jackpot will last much longer.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19831 Posts
                    Posted: June 7, 2008, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

Unless I win a lottery jackpot, I'll probably never know anyone personally who has won one.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Ironton
                      United States
                      Member #30558
                      January 18, 2006
                      10 Posts
                      Posted: June 7, 2008, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

I'm not on drugs and never will be, but the Edward,s were on them before they won. All they did was go and get stronger stuff. I mean major.

United States
                        Member #58528
                        February 18, 2008
                        710 Posts
                        Posted: June 7, 2008, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

It's just a little frustrating that all these idiots win, isn't it? Unfortunately I think that's because a vast majority of lottery players, specifically big jackpot ones, are Darwin Award nominees. I kind of wish I was a lot dumber than I am, maybe I'd have a better shot.

I'd say that the vast majority of major jackpot winners are never heard from again.The Edwards & Whitakers and a few others like them draw so much attention to themselves that people seem to think that all lottery winners are just as stupid as they were with their money.I'm guessing that its a small minority of jackpot winners that qualify for Darwin awards.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          5124 Posts
                          Posted: June 7, 2008, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

NO>>>But>>> O'BAMA is Bout-2!!!!!!

who know's ?? HE may win D JACKPOT!

don't give-UP>>>>U can hit Dee Pot 2!!

LOL

PSYKOMO

YES>>>>>>>>>>we have met O'Bama in Chicago........BUT.....no I

REALLY donot know HIM<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

L@@K's like HE hit a LOTTO to me >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

L@@K's like HE WILL HIT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

AH..."JACKPOT"$$>>$@@N

LOL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2 all LP JACKPOT player'$$$

PSYKOMO

San Diego
                            United States
                            Member #46705
                            September 23, 2006
                            55 Posts
                            Posted: June 8, 2008, 12:50 am - IP Logged

I thought this thread was about whether or not anyone personally knew a jackpot winner. Didn't think this thread was about Obama.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: June 8, 2008, 3:01 am - IP Logged

Isn't this question asked every other month ?

I personally know two Powerball Jackpot winners - in different states, ten years apart.