Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Gas prices affecting lottery sales

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 8 years ago by konane.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

How do you think higher gas prices will affect lottery sales

Sales will go up [ 5 ]  [10.20%]
sales will go down [ 26 ]  [53.06%]
stay about the same [ 18 ]  [36.73%]
Total Valid Votes [ 49 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
a$VeryLuckyMan's avatar - spherewall
Summerfield NC
United States
Member #61736
June 2, 2008
3714 Posts
Posted: June 3, 2008, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

It will be interesting to see what everyone thinks

Be ready when opportunity comes...Luck is the time when preparation and opportunity meet.

All of us have bad luck and good luck. The man who persists through the bad luck - who keeps right on going - is the man who is there when the good luck comes - and is ready to receive it.Lep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP2p91dvm6M

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
    Member #4877
    May 30, 2004
    5112 Posts
    Posted: June 3, 2008, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

It will be interesting to see what everyone thinks

IT will be INTERESTING>>>>>????????????<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<?

I voted to go UP ^^^

They will SPIKE-UP for a WHILE as we CHILLON are SP@@KED by GAS!

O'BAMA will give many .......... HOPE & COURAGE..........BUT, <<<<then

the BUBBLE will BUR$T ......... WE will be lucky to afford a $MART CAR!!!

LOL

PSYKOMO

a$VeryLuckyMan's avatar - spherewall
      Summerfield NC
      United States
      Member #61736
      June 2, 2008
      3714 Posts
      Posted: June 3, 2008, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

so true, so true

Sunny California
        United States
        Member #40295
        May 31, 2006
        7712 Posts
        Posted: June 3, 2008, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

I think they will stay about the same. Now more than ever people need to win the lottery......just to fill up their tank! Wink

In all seriousness though, whether gas is $1.00 a gallon or $5.00 a gallon people are going to buy tickets. As we all get poorer where else do we have a chance to win millions of dollars for a buck? It will always hold its appeal. 

Pogo's avatar - wfl
          NC
          United States
          Member #29378
          January 1, 2006
          552 Posts
          Posted: June 3, 2008, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

I think they will stay about the same. Now more than ever people need to win the lottery......just to fill up their tank! Wink

In all seriousness though, whether gas is $1.00 a gallon or $5.00 a gallon people are going to buy tickets. As we all get poorer where else do we have a chance to win millions of dollars for a buck? It will always hold its appeal. 

I agree - buying a ticket is that one freedom folks won't give up easily... It gives people hope... Hope for a better future and a different life. Good Luck to all, Pogo

JAP69's avatar - alas
            South Carolina
            United States
            Member #6
            November 4, 2001
            8790 Posts
            Posted: June 3, 2008, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

If they have a short budget for the daily three and four games they may cut back on those and play a few bucks a week on pick 5 and up.

WHATT

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10344 Posts
              Posted: June 4, 2008, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

I voted lotto sales go up, purely on a guess and the theory that as it takes more and more omney to buy what it previously did people are more willing to risk more of it.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Atlanta
                United States
                Member #33572
                February 22, 2006
                366 Posts
                Posted: June 4, 2008, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

People in Georgia are pawning lots of their stuff just to fill up the gas tank or buy food. I think at some point those people who are living on the absolute edge will start cutting down on the total dollars spent.

I have also noticed that the secondary prize amounts are going down. Usually when lots of high numbers hit, the 4/5 prize goes to anywhere between $150 and $200; now the prizes seem to be under $150 more frequently.

Sunny California
                  United States
                  Member #40295
                  May 31, 2006
                  7712 Posts
                  Posted: June 5, 2008, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

I'm surprised this wasn't moved to the Discussions Forum because it's a great poll and topic right now. It would get a lot more views over there since the Pick 5 board is quiet a lot of the time.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                    Clarksville
                    United States
                    Member #487
                    July 15, 2002
                    17638 Posts
                    Posted: June 5, 2008, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

They will cut back, period.  Disposable income is short right now for a lot of people and making it from the beginning of the month to the end of the month is already very hard for some people.  I think we will see more before the year is out. But if they don't cut back, they are spending their utility money.  Since all of this began, utility companies are doing more service cut-offs than they ever had done before.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

ohiopick3's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                      Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #3023
                      December 14, 2003
                      4166 Posts
                      Posted: June 5, 2008, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

I voted, they will remain the same.

Those that have the money to play will probably play a little more?

And those that don't have the money will probably spend a little less?

Lotteries gives people a "chance" to win something.

Those that have little money know the "chance" is still out there,

but they can budget their play and still hope for the best.

You don't have to spend all of your money on the lottery any ways.

Play what games you want to play and play what you can afford to play.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                        Marquette, MI
                        United States
                        Member #20541
                        August 20, 2005
                        705 Posts
                        Posted: June 5, 2008, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

Hard to tell, it depends on the person and area that they live in.  In some areas sales may go up and in others they may go down and yet in others they may remain the same.

I am spending less on gas and tickets.  I just tanked up for the week and found that in the previous week I used 3.888 gallons for a weekly gas tab of $16.17!   I smiled and felt like I had won something and told the clerk that that was my total weekly gas tab for the last week.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                          Marquette, MI
                          United States
                          Member #20541
                          August 20, 2005
                          705 Posts
                          Posted: June 6, 2008, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

I bumped into someone today who had been buying about $60/day in scratchers for at least the last five years.  I asked how he was doing and he said he stopped playing cause he finally noticed he never won anything and he did not believe there would be a winning scratch ticket around here in his lifetime...he has more money for gas.  I asked if he played the online paper tickets and he does not believe that the state pays out enough to bother.

He quit altogether and spends it on gas and other things and notices he has alot more money.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                            Clarksville
                            United States
                            Member #487
                            July 15, 2002
                            17638 Posts
                            Posted: June 7, 2008, 11:35 am - IP Logged

I used to watch folks spend 80-100.00 a day on the lottery ..now it's food and gas.  A lot of the lottery places parking lots are empty most of the time and Walmarts parking lot seems to be full most of the time.  Since gas is supposed to go up by a dime a gallon next week, I better go fill up now.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                              Idaho
                              United States
                              Member #56506
                              November 21, 2007
                              6537 Posts
                              Posted: June 8, 2008, 12:39 am - IP Logged

I agree with some others on here and I believe that lottery sales have probably gone done a bit, but I've heard that when times are tough, some people will actually spend more money playing the lottery with the hope that they will get lucky. I however, have been spending less when it comes to playing and I have a feeling that a lot of other people are doing the same.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."