Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Gas For Life - Florida Lottery

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 8 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: July 13, 2008, 3:36 am - IP Logged

I originally started to post this in the scratch-off forum, but I then realized this isn't a scratch-off game at all! It's more like a weekly raffle.  The cost for each ticket is $5.   There will be 8 weekly drawings with one weekly $250,000 grand prize, five Gas For Life ($52,000 cash) second prizes and fifty Gas For a Year (26 $100 prepaid gas cards) as the 3rd prize.  I've seen this game advertised and there are big signs at the retailers, but I never paid much attention to them.  I already spend too much on the jackpot games!!

Anyway, a local man was on the evening news this week because he won Gas For Life.  I just saw another article in the Naples Daily News, so he's quite a celebrity just because he won $52,000!  The prize is 26 $100 prepaid gas cards per year for 20 years or life (minimum guarantee 20 years)   He took the cash option and got a check for $39,000 after tax.   I think I'd take the cash too, although who knows what gas will cost in 10 years? 

Thinking about the prize  - what if we don't use gasoline in 20 years?  Maybe they should call it "fuel for life" and cover the cost of charging up a car!   I bet most of the Gas For Life winners will take the cash option.

So how many LP members would take the Gas For Life prize?  Is your state offering similar games? 

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: July 13, 2008, 3:42 am - IP Logged

With gas rising the way it is, I doubt $52,000 will be enough for gas for life.

Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: July 13, 2008, 3:48 am - IP Logged

I agree.  So would you take the gas instead?  I think the 70 year old winner had a good point.  After all, my Dad was retired and only had about 40,000 miles on his 1998 Grand Marquis when he died last year. 

For people who commute long distances to work, I agree that $2,600 a year definitely won't cover gas costs for a lot of people.  I know lots of people who now spend more than that on gas.  Still, I'd take the cash, not the gas cards.  With $39,000 (net) you could go out and buy a new, more fuel efficient car!  lol   (or you could pay your mortgage for a couple of years)

I'm really starting to think like an LP member ....  give me the cash now!  LOL

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: July 13, 2008, 4:38 am - IP Logged

If the game is the same as my state's, the fine print says the amount of gas (now and in the future) is based on current average prices and a yearly maximum number of gallons. Under that formula, there is a fixed cash value so there is no advantage to holding off until gas prices move.

The gas angle is just for people more inclined to operate on emotion and not read the little writing. If food prices had doubled, they'd have called it "Groceries for Life".

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49813 Posts
          Posted: July 13, 2008, 9:27 am - IP Logged

It's a good Bet: We won't be using Gasoline to Power Automobiles in 20 Years!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
            Jacksonville Florida
            United States
            Member #23018
            October 6, 2005
            918 Posts
            Posted: July 13, 2008, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

I bought one of those $5 Summer Cash/Gas tickets and won $25 instant cash. Every 27th ticket was a $25 instant winner. The ticket didn't win any of the prizes for the first week's drawings but it was nice to hear the lottery terminal play a song indicating it was an instant winner of $25.

Smiley

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: July 13, 2008, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

I would take the cash too.   I don't pay for gas anyway, so it wouldn't help me.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: July 13, 2008, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, Raven.  That's what I was saying.  Anyway, who really knows what she'll be doing in 20 years from now?  May I'll win the lottery and move to North Captiva where there are no gas powered vehicles! 

Time*treat, in my second paragraph I explained that the "for a year" winner gets gas cards equal to $2,600 for a year (no cash option)   I believe the Gas For Life prize is the same with a cash option.  I don't think there is a maximum or minimum amount of gallons or the price of the gas matters. 

That's why I said I think everyone will take the cash since the prize is limited to $2,600 a year anyway.

I've received cards as gifts & rebates and I think they're a pain.  There's always a small balance and then you have to look for something to buy and add cash.  The retailer usually comes out ahead every time which is probably why they sell them!   If you don't use the entire amount on the card, they still have the money.  (and of course it's prepaid too) 

Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: July 13, 2008, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

I bought one of those $5 Summer Cash/Gas tickets and won $25 instant cash. Every 27th ticket was a $25 instant winner. The ticket didn't win any of the prizes for the first week's drawings but it was nice to hear the lottery terminal play a song indicating it was an instant winner of $25.

Smiley

That's great, duckman.  I also think it's a good idea that they print a coupon for the instant cash so you keep the original ticket for the drawing.  Congrats! 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10354 Posts
                    Posted: July 13, 2008, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Kind of like the Chicago Cubs and "The Curse of the Billy Goat", but I can just see winning something like this- and the next day the government announces (or admits) there is an alternative fuel and we don't need gasoline anymore!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #56506
                      November 21, 2007
                      6537 Posts
                      Posted: July 13, 2008, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

I would probably take the cash also. Who knows if we will even be using gas 10 years down the road. We may be using another source of fuel soon. Plus, I would rather just have the money. Then I can use it for what I want.

Big Grin

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: July 13, 2008, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

I wonder if the newspaper article is wrong.  Why would a lump sum be equal to the prize value?  The winner got $52,000  - a check for $39,000 which they said was after 25% federal tax.  Usually, when there is a game that pays for life or 20 years, the lump sum is the value x 65%.  Some people win cash for life games like $100,000 a year and opt for the lump sum and it's never $2 million.  It's closer to $1.3M.   To me, if they are offering the entire $52,000 less taxes it's a no-brainer.  Oooh. Shame, shame.  Look at this article about the lottery prizes.  The comments are so negative and they're saying people who bet on the lottery are idiots!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/gas-or-cash-lottery-players-fuellish-ways/

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10354 Posts
                          Posted: July 13, 2008, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

As for the payouts, perhaps "voodoo" accounting.

Re: the remarks about lottery players, could be just jealousy.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: July 13, 2008, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

As for the payouts, perhaps "voodoo" accounting.

Re: the remarks about lottery players, could be just jealousy.

I Agree!

I mean, how can anyone say that people who play the lottery are bad in math after coming to this site?  I've never met so many people who are good with manipulating numbers and using numerical software until I found LP.   I still believe most jackpots are won because people are lucky, but that doesn't stop me from trying! 

JAP69's avatar - alas
                              South Carolina
                              United States
                              Member #6
                              November 4, 2001
                              8790 Posts
                              Posted: July 13, 2008, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

For the mathematicaly challenged.

$39,000.00 put into a yield bearing acct would buy how much gas on the yield.

How about the ones who win it and do not even have an auto.

MAGA