Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

bankrupcy

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 8 years ago by kloud9y2k.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
Member #60535
April 21, 2008
460 Posts
Posted: July 14, 2008, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

Do lottery winners that have filed for bankrupcy in the past have to repay debts of any kind? I know when you win they check to see if you owe child support (seriously hoping my ex wins the big lotto one day..he owes me YEARS of CS) but what about bankrupcy?

lima ohio
    United States
    Member #53429
    July 7, 2007
    195 Posts
    Posted: July 14, 2008, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

he shouldnt behind at all if he is his butt should be in jail you need to connect the courts...

United States
      Member #60535
      April 21, 2008
      460 Posts
      Posted: July 14, 2008, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

It is already all through through the states (department of human resources); he lives in one one state and I live in another.  Apparently he does not keep a job long enough for them to collect on a consistent basis.  Me thinks he works long enough for them to start taking it out of his check then he quits. 

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: July 14, 2008, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

Do lottery winners that have filed for bankrupcy in the past have to repay debts of any kind? I know when you win they check to see if you owe child support (seriously hoping my ex wins the big lotto one day..he owes me YEARS of CS) but what about bankrupcy?

http://www.moranlaw.net/discharge.htm

http://www.moranlaw.net/taxes.htm

Generally, you can shaft anyone ... except the I.R.S. Wink

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

LottoChica23's avatar - Aquarius
          Fughedaboutit (NY)
          United States
          Member #8160
          October 26, 2004
          6777 Posts
          Posted: July 14, 2008, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

Child support arrears are not discharged by bankruptcy.

He owes it no matter what.

Good info here --->http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cse/

Matrix Chart Instructions--> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/191818 

check out mysticwomyn Announcers --> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/140695/673306

You can judge the integrity of a man by the way he treats those that can do nothing for him...Thumbs Up

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: July 15, 2008, 10:57 am - IP Logged

he shouldnt behind at all if he is his butt should be in jail you need to connect the courts...

Kinda hard to collect CS when the ex is in jail, don't you think ?

And I know WOMEN that owe CS to their ex's, and the women don't pay - ever.  It's not always men that are deadbeats.

If someone is playing the lottery and also 'depending' on CS from someone, they need to get their priorities straight.

United States
              Member #60535
              April 21, 2008
              460 Posts
              Posted: July 15, 2008, 10:59 am - IP Logged

And I know WOMEN that owe CS to their ex's, and the women don't pay - ever.  It's not always men that are deadbeats.

If someone is playing the lottery and also 'depending' on CS from someone, they need to get their priorities straight.

well, no, if they are in jail on work release that would be to your benefit.

DC81's avatar - batman39
                MI
                United States
                Member #54830
                August 31, 2007
                985 Posts
                Posted: July 15, 2008, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

I agree, it's just another one of those things were fathers/men arealways made out to be the villian despite the fact that it's not alwaysthe father, granted more often than not it is the father that's thedead beat (my "father" is one of them) but there's plenty of women too.

I'd say deadbeats should be required to pay back 10 times more than what they owe if they hit a jackpot and pay for the child's college education. Too bad something like that wouldn't be legal.

You can't predict random.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: July 15, 2008, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

It doesn't matter what the gender is.   It's the child who loses.   The men & women fighting over who gets what need to remember that! 

Fughedaboutit (NY)
                    United States
                    Member #8160
                    October 26, 2004
                    6777 Posts
                    Posted: July 15, 2008, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

Depending on what state one lives in , there are a number of enforcement measures (e.g. lottery intercept, income tax intercept, property execution, driver's license suspension, professional license suspension, passport denial) that are put into place before incarceration is considered as a option.

When someone is incarcerated, it is because they haven't been paying and they have ignored various other enforcement measures. Sooo... when one is sentenced to an iron vacation the money won't be missed because they weren't paying anyway.

Women are not exempt from the classification of deadbeat and they are subject to the same guidlines that I mentioned above.

check out mysticwomyn Announcers --> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/140695/673306

You can judge the integrity of a man by the way he treats those that can do nothing for him...Thumbs Up

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: July 16, 2008, 12:06 am - IP Logged

Depending on what state one lives in , there are a number of enforcement measures (e.g. lottery intercept, income tax intercept, property execution, driver's license suspension, professional license suspension, passport denial) that are put into place before incarceration is considered as a option.

When someone is incarcerated, it is because they haven't been paying and they have ignored various other enforcement measures. Sooo... when one is sentenced to an iron vacation the money won't be missed because they weren't paying anyway.

Women are not exempt from the classification of deadbeat and they are subject to the same guidlines that I mentioned above.

You have to work in order to have any kind of income tax (refund) to intercept, you have to OWN property for someone to take it (and it has to actually be WORTH something), suspending a driver's license does NOTHING - I personally know 3-4 folks that have had their licenses suspended for 3, 4, 5 DUI's - they still drive.   And if you don't have money, you are not going anywhere, so you don't need a Passport.

All putting a deadbeat in jail does it cost us more in taxes, I'd rather put a 'real' threat to society in jail.

Fughedaboutit (NY)
                        United States
                        Member #8160
                        October 26, 2004
                        6777 Posts
                        Posted: July 16, 2008, 8:27 am - IP Logged

It's sad to hear that people go to such great lengths not to pay child support. Not only do the children get hurt but in the long run, the persons like you described above hurt themselves too.

If they don't work to pay income tax, they also don't have money for themselves AND they also can't be looking forward to retirement benefits based on a work history. They can't own anything for fear of CSE coming to take it to pay the child support that they owe. By the time retirement age rolls around for that person, their children are grown and the deabeat has nothing to look forward to.

Hopefully, those people have child support orders in place that are accruing arrears. When and if they do wake up and desire to have nice things for themselves, want to have assets, drive legally or want to visit another country, the arrears will be waiting for them. They will spend as much time (or even more) as they denied their children support repairing their own lives. Maybe these deadbeats will never see the inside of a jail for refusing to pay child support but they certainly will have created a jail for themselves by not being able to live freely.

Putting a deadbeat in jail does add to the tax burden but so does the public aid paid to sustain some of those children who the deadbeat refuses to support.

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                          West Side of Sunny Florida
                          United States
                          Member #55048
                          September 8, 2007
                          3371 Posts
                          Posted: July 16, 2008, 10:33 am - IP Logged

To answer your orginial question about bankrupcy - NO they cannot.  Since BK (chapt 7 at least) clears any unsecured debt that you put in bk.  I know of no BK laws or provisions that state after filing and being discharged 'IF' you win a lottery or come into a windfall of money you would have to pay anyone back.

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

United States
                            Member #41383
                            June 16, 2006
                            1969 Posts
                            Posted: July 16, 2008, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

It's sad to hear that people go to such great lengths not to pay child support. Not only do the children get hurt but in the long run, the persons like you described above hurt themselves too.

If they don't work to pay income tax, they also don't have money for themselves AND they also can't be looking forward to retirement benefits based on a work history. They can't own anything for fear of CSE coming to take it to pay the child support that they owe. By the time retirement age rolls around for that person, their children are grown and the deabeat has nothing to look forward to.

Hopefully, those people have child support orders in place that are accruing arrears. When and if they do wake up and desire to have nice things for themselves, want to have assets, drive legally or want to visit another country, the arrears will be waiting for them. They will spend as much time (or even more) as they denied their children support repairing their own lives. Maybe these deadbeats will never see the inside of a jail for refusing to pay child support but they certainly will have created a jail for themselves by not being able to live freely.

Putting a deadbeat in jail does add to the tax burden but so does the public aid paid to sustain some of those children who the deadbeat refuses to support.

You don't get it - some of those guys simply don't care - not now, not ever. 

I'm not saying 'all', or 'most', but a lot of folks simply don't care, most of them don't think they will live long enough to see retirement, so they don't care.  The 'nice things' they desire are a 12-pack of beer and a lawn chair to sit in, AND THAT'S IT.  They live with a friend or relative, so nothing is traceable, or on the books.

'Living freely' is a relative term - what is 'free' to you and me can be quite different to someone else.  Lots of folks work 'under the radar' for CASH - so that money is not 'on record' (taxed), so it doesn't matter to them.  You say 'When they wake up....', but the fact is, a lot of them don't wake up. Same for welfare moms who 'know the system', and keep having kids BECAUSE OF the system - they are just as guilty as the man that flees them.

And yes - some men know 'the system' pretty good, they know how to work around it, and they do.   It's sad some folks go to such stretches to live, but some do.   And the one that suffers is the child, they grow up in this situation, and some tend to grow into it and repeat it, I see it every single day.

Fughedaboutit (NY)
                              United States
                              Member #8160
                              October 26, 2004
                              6777 Posts
                              Posted: July 16, 2008, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

You don't get it - some of those guys simply don't care - not now, not ever. 

I'm not saying 'all', or 'most', but a lot of folks simply don't care, most of them don't think they will live long enough to see retirement, so they don't care.  The 'nice things' they desire are a 12-pack of beer and a lawn chair to sit in, AND THAT'S IT.  They live with a friend or relative, so nothing is traceable, or on the books.

'Living freely' is a relative term - what is 'free' to you and me can be quite different to someone else.  Lots of folks work 'under the radar' for CASH - so that money is not 'on record' (taxed), so it doesn't matter to them.  You say 'When they wake up....', but the fact is, a lot of them don't wake up. Same for welfare moms who 'know the system', and keep having kids BECAUSE OF the system - they are just as guilty as the man that flees them.

And yes - some men know 'the system' pretty good, they know how to work around it, and they do.   It's sad some folks go to such stretches to live, but some do.   And the one that suffers is the child, they grow up in this situation, and some tend to grow into it and repeat it, I see it every single day.

No, you don't get it. I didn't disagree with anything you said. What? "When and if they do wake up" means that they could possibly wake up or may never wake up...

I merely alluded to the fact that sometimes some of these deadbeats do wake up and try to make it right even if only to be self-serving. e.g. Deadbeat owes tens of  thousandsof dollars in child support... Didn't care yesterday...Worked off the books to avoid paying court ordered child support... Goes through various stages of enforcement processes over the years, passport is eventually revoked...Meets someone of the opposite sex,falls in love, gets married and wants to go on a honeymoon (out of thecountry).

Guess waht? Child support arrears paid in full!!! Hyper

Moral of the story? Those that didn't care yesterday and don't care today may not necessarily not care tomorrow. Keep hope alive, if only for the children's sake.