Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 3:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

lottery budget 2008

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 8 years ago by bashley572.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

have you had to cut back on lottery this year due to finances?

yes i've had to cut back on playing quite a bit [ 21 ]  [32.31%]
i have had to cut back but not too much [ 10 ]  [15.38%]
still playing pretty much the same amounts as alwa [ 34 ]  [52.31%]
Total Valid Votes [ 65 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
Member #26882
November 23, 2005
1404 Posts
Posted: July 25, 2008, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

have you had to cut back on lottery this year due to finances?

Nice to see you post Lottomike! Miss ya around here

I voted the same amount, but that is due to a gas points card, so we are getting gas a lot cheaper than the listed price, which our saving grace.

Hang in there my friend!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: July 27, 2008, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

Yes!

I was at the store today and found laundry detergent went from $13 to $21 per box so I am going to have to cut back on that too! Everything is going up except the number of big winners.

Wow!  Isn't that terrible? I noticed that on so many items!  I guess you have a large family and do a lot of washes.  I bought a 78 oz bottle at Walgreen's for $1.99 with a coupon.  It's called Sunburst with Cuddlesoft fabric softener.   41 loads per bottle.  I use a little extra detergent per load, and also do hand washing, so I only get around 30 loads, but for me that's still a year's worth of laundry. 

I agree, however, that just about everything is going up due to inflation.   The way some people think about money is one of my rants, so I just deleted a whole paragraph. LOL  Just one example.  I was talking to a friend (who might be a former friend now! lol) while I was eating breakfast and finishing a banana.  She said "I stopped buying bananas. They're too expensive." Well, even at the outrageous price of $0.69/lb, with the average banana weighing 4.5 ounces, you can still get 3 for less than 60 cts.  Then she mentioned something about an HBO special or maybe a movie on pay-per-view or channel 100-something.  So I said "If you didn't pay $120 for cable TV you could bathe in bananas."  I get the same reaction for spending $25 a month for vitamins from a neighbor who smokes 2 packs a day.  Go figure.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: July 27, 2008, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

Mike, it's not you, but the world that's gone mad.  I mean, when the candidates were saying that the middleclass families and lower income folks were voting for Hillary Clinton and then adding "with incomes of $75,000 or less" it gave me pause. 

Keep hanging on, buddy.  That's all we can do.  Group Hug

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
        Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
        United States
        Member #26084
        November 14, 2005
        199 Posts
        Posted: July 28, 2008, 11:05 am - IP Logged

I don't spend very much money each week so if I were to cut back I wouldn't be playing at all. That said, I sometime play a bit more, but not as often as I used to.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

Southwest Florida
          United States
          Member #56183
          November 6, 2007
          75 Posts
          Posted: August 1, 2008, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

I haven't really played lottery games much until about 2 years ago.  It seemed that I started meeting more and more people that have won decent $$ from the Florida Lottery.  So, I decided back then, if I don't play, you'll never win!

2 years ago, I was eating out for lunch everyday and playing some lottery games.  Now, I'm packing lunch and almost never eat out for lunch...except for the $0.49 McDonalds hamburgers every Monday and Wednesday.  I've determined that I can't even bring lunch to work that cheap!

So, some of the money I've been saving from not eating out at lunchtime, goes towards my lottery fund.  Some goes towards fuel and the rest goes towards BUD LIGHT!  LOL!  Cheers 

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
            mn
            United States
            Member #59040
            March 4, 2008
            276 Posts
            Posted: August 1, 2008, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

I still play every wed and sat. but it decreased substantially; When I first started playing which was about the beginning of this year jan 18-19 I think (the 275 mill pb win) I was I admit naive and thought that I could win instantly so i was spending 20 bucks on every drawing until I lost. Then I realized that if i'm going to win, I'm going to win with one dollar, and i've been playing one dollar ever since. I guess that is not because of the economy but my own obliviosity.

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
            "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3316 Posts
              Posted: August 3, 2008, 4:29 am - IP Logged

i didnt cut my lotto budget, but i did quit smoking ciggies this year. that's a pretty big sum of cash going into my weekly budget, but i dont seem to see any of it. its not like theres an extra $50 a week sitting in my wallet, by the end of the week.  i think the tax on smokes always irked me, and now the gov isnt geting it im  little happier. and any pain from higher expenses has been swallowed by the ciggy money.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5143 Posts
                Posted: August 4, 2008, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

Coors has no nitrates  Wink

Psyko has drank a few COOR's>>>>>>>>>>>>BUT, thing's CHANGE.........

Psyko has drank a few HENE's>>>>>>>>>>>>BUT,  thing's CHANGE.........

Psykomo has played a lotta money on JACKPOT games but, matrix change!

PSYKOMO has dated a lotta GUIL's>>>BUT>>> that takes more $CHANGE$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

TRANSLATION:

PSYKOMO would give his music kingdom for JACKPOT WIN!

LOL

PSYKOMO

assaults's avatar - anime10
                  RALEIGH, North Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #63257
                  July 24, 2008
                  353 Posts
                  Posted: August 5, 2008, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

My lottery budget is $50 a week/$200 a month.

One2Adore's avatar - butterfly2
                    Maryland
                    United States
                    Member #50566
                    March 8, 2007
                    88 Posts
                    Posted: August 12, 2008, 11:55 am - IP Logged

I've cut back a little bit... but not much.  In the past I'd have splurges where I would spend up to $10 on a particular drawing.  Never won squat though.  So now I'm paying for drawings in batches.  I'll spend $20 buck for a $2 quick pick for 10 consecutive drawings.  That way I don't have the urge to spend more because I'm already putting out $20.  It's bad for me because I work in a Powerball state and live in a MegaMillion state.  So I can play both.  So technically, that's $40.

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3316 Posts
                      Posted: August 12, 2008, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

I've cut back a little bit... but not much.  In the past I'd have splurges where I would spend up to $10 on a particular drawing.  Never won squat though.  So now I'm paying for drawings in batches.  I'll spend $20 buck for a $2 quick pick for 10 consecutive drawings.  That way I don't have the urge to spend more because I'm already putting out $20.  It's bad for me because I work in a Powerball state and live in a MegaMillion state.  So I can play both.  So technically, that's $40.

yeah thats almost exact wha ti do one2adore.  small entry on 10 weeks then its a big spend but it covers a lot of time. if there ends up being a big jackpot i might spend a few extra bucks on the game to double my chances. like from 1 in gazillion to 2 chances in gazillion

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                        Dallas, Texas
                        United States
                        Member #4549
                        May 2, 2004
                        1835 Posts
                        Posted: August 12, 2008, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

I'm starting to play a little more. I quit the $50 a week habit and have been spending a couple of bucks each Lotto and MegaMillion drawing.

Since I learned to keep Shiner Bock in the fridge I have a few more dollars to spend.  So I thought I'd revisit my old friend Pick 3.

My answer is more than I have been lately, but less than ten years ago.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                          Member #28409
                          December 15, 2005
                          1198 Posts
                          Posted: August 12, 2008, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I cut my lottery playing in half.  And I only play if I honestly feel the numbers stirring inside me.   (As a result, I'm getting more win for my money.)  I also cut back on eating out, renting dvds, and junk food in the house.  My whole family, almost, is now converted to drinking bottled water vs the more expensive (and unhealthy) pop.  Plus, we don't make any unnecessary trips of distances longer than 20 minutes.  Since we moved our kids to a local school system, we have saved gobbs of money in gasoline a year for that alone.

You know, they keep saying the price of oil is going up because of "supply and demand"., but I don't really see how that is possible with so many people cutting back on their usages.  I think they just want to supply it to us as long as they can demand outrageous prices.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                            West Side of Sunny Florida
                            United States
                            Member #55048
                            September 8, 2007
                            3371 Posts
                            Posted: August 13, 2008, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

Yup I had to cut back, but I think that made me a smarter player!

Money won is twice as good as money earned!