Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Wondering..how far have you ever driven to play the lottery?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 8 years ago by myturn.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kennesaw, GA
United States
Member #62138
June 18, 2008
1414 Posts
Posted: July 26, 2008, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

We all do all kinds of things to increase our odds in any game that we play.  And as the saying goes, "you have to be in it to win it", therefore i was wondering how far have people (you) driven just to have a chance at winning.  I live in Ga and drove to TN to get a select number of powerball tickets...just wondering how many other dedicated individuals are out there.....

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    United States
    Member #3013
    December 13, 2003
    3092 Posts
    Posted: July 26, 2008, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

I drove to vancouver, washington from eugene,oregon to get mega millions tickets when the jackpot was over $200 million last year.  I have not been up their recently though.-weshar75

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
      Member #14
      November 9, 2001
      31541 Posts
      Posted: July 26, 2008, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

5 minutes.

love to nibble those micey feet.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5760 Posts
        Posted: July 26, 2008, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

I have driven to OK to buy PB tics. It's 70 miles one way, and I would buy 10 draws. Haven't done that in a long time. Not worth the gas money. Besides, there's plenty of games in TX for me to lose my money on. LOL.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: July 27, 2008, 12:09 am - IP Logged

I play the lottery in my state, so I can just drive to the store. I agree with rcbuckeye. I wouldn't bother wasting gas, to drive to another state to buy tickets. If I'm on a trip, that is a different story, but I won't go out of my way to buy tickets.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
            Member #24380
            October 21, 2005
            623 Posts
            Posted: July 27, 2008, 12:14 am - IP Logged

We all do all kinds of things to increase our odds in any game that we play.  And as the saying goes, "you have to be in it to win it", therefore i was wondering how far have people (you) driven just to have a chance at winning.  I live in Ga and drove to TN to get a select number of powerball tickets...just wondering how many other dedicated individuals are out there.....

Over 200 hundred miles when the Mega Millions Jackpot was the biggest it had ever been.  I would not do it again, though.

assaults's avatar - anime10
              RALEIGH, North Carolina
              United States
              Member #63257
              July 24, 2008
              353 Posts
              Posted: July 27, 2008, 12:37 am - IP Logged

Before we (North Carolina) had lottery my friend used to drive an hour and a half to Virginia for Megamillions tickets. We NCers are the last to get everything.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: July 27, 2008, 12:52 am - IP Logged

Specifically to buy lottery tickets?  5 miles or so.  That was during a power outage after a hurricane and the local terminals were down.  Now "buy lottery tickets" is on my preparedness list along with the bottled water, batteries and flashlights.  LOL

Baton Rouge, LA
                  United States
                  Member #4602
                  May 7, 2004
                  700 Posts
                  Posted: July 27, 2008, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

I've never driven to just to play the lottery, other than to the local store around the corner.  A few times, when I've been on the road in my own state, I've sometimes bought tickets at stores that weren't in my home town just to see if it would make a difference.

A few months ago, I went on a business trip to Boise, Idaho, and I checked to see if there were any lottery vendors near my hotel and it turned out there was, so I bought tickets in the Idaho lottery.  When I was returning home, the currency exchange boot at the Denver airport sold Colorado lottery tickets, so I bought some there as well.  Since I also bought tickets at home, I had tickets in 3 separate state lotteries for that Saturday's drawings.  No winners though.

The nearest state to me that has a lottery is Texas, and that's about 3 hours away and I don't want to drive that long just to play the lottery.  If I have another reason to go to Texas or another lottery state, I will play their lottery if I can get to a vendor.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                    Portland,Oregon
                    United States
                    Member #14387
                    April 25, 2005
                    229 Posts
                    Posted: July 27, 2008, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

Since my office is only 5 miles from the Columbia River ... if the MegaMillions jackpot is over $100million ... I'll drive across the river to Vancouver at lunch time to buy tickets

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
                      Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
                      United States
                      Member #26084
                      November 14, 2005
                      199 Posts
                      Posted: July 28, 2008, 11:01 am - IP Logged

I live in deep east Texas and can still remember the first time we went to La. to buy Powerball, which is a 3 hour trip all toll. It was on Christmas Eve the pot was $315 mil and Jack Whittaker won it.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

Kennesaw, GA
                        United States
                        Member #62138
                        June 18, 2008
                        1414 Posts
                        Posted: July 28, 2008, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

I live in deep east Texas and can still remember the first time we went to La. to buy Powerball, which is a 3 hour trip all toll. It was on Christmas Eve the pot was $315 mil and Jack Whittaker won it.

Wow a three hour trip, is that a one way or combined? Oh good old Jack, thats a lottery story of what not to do.

I live 75 miles south of the tn border in Ga and drove to pick up some powerball tickets when it was big.

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
                          Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
                          United States
                          Member #26084
                          November 14, 2005
                          199 Posts
                          Posted: July 29, 2008, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

That would be 3 hours round trip.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                            Member #4877
                            May 30, 2004
                            5143 Posts
                            Posted: July 30, 2008, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

White Bounceabout 25 miles>>>max>>> White Bounce

PSYKO tries to TRIX the QUICK-PIX from time to TIME,  so  I like to find

a location that has a LOTTO LINE >>>>>>OUT-D-DOOR>>>>>>>>>>

This HAPPEN's when a JACKPOT hit's $300 mil +++++++++++++++++

LOL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>and>>>>>>>JACKPOT^^^^

PSYKOMO

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                              CA
                              United States
                              Member #57222
                              December 23, 2007
                              587 Posts
                              Posted: July 30, 2008, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

I feel silly admitting to this one but....

I have driven nearly 70 miles (and 1/2 tank of gas) to drive to Mountain View to purchase  a ticket at one of California's "lucky retailer" stores.  I went to the CA lotto site, checked to see which closest place hit in recent years (not too recent) and went to play there.  The closest was about 50 miles out  but they had just hit in 02/2008, so I figured they wouldnt hit this soon.  The next one had hit  over 2 years ago but had many smaller amounts since. 

But, and you all are going to love this one.......

When I got there  money in hand,  the clerk told me that they were on suspension from the lottery and was banned from selling.

I DON'T EVEN WANT TO KNOW WHAT THAT WAS ABOUT.

I left and drove to the one that had just hit. Needless to say, I didn't win a dime.

Now I play at the same liquor store near my home, maybe two miles.  The store hit 5+0 in the Mega Million for 65k  in 2007 but nothing higher.  So I save on gas if nothing else.

I will play the same lines for however many years it takes.  Just waiting my turn.