Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would you do if you actually won?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 8 years ago by rubberbandman.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
NC
United States
Member #63370
July 26, 2008
1 Posts
Posted: July 26, 2008, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

See, I have it all planned out, was curious if others do as well.

#1, pay off my house.  But there is a trick to that.  See, I would pay off my house, leave it furnished and donate it to an abused women's/childrens center.  This way these women could get back on their feet.  In order for them to feel useful, I would charge them $100/month rent each and re-donate that back to a shelter.

#2, buy a new house, about 3500 square feet on 2-3 acres.

#3, I would buy about 15 acres of land and open an SPCA/rescue spot.  This would be staffed by one full time vet, office staff and an assistant

#4, I could STOP STRESSING about back to school clothes, normal bills (we just declared bankruptcy to prevent a foreclosure) and my work at home job. 

See, all I really want, and I am sure it is this way with a lot of people, is to be comfortable, not worry about food in the fridge, know I can take my kids to an amusement park and to help other people and animals.

So, what do you think?  Is that bad planning?  Or being reasonable?

Elizabethtown Ky
    United States
    Member #63202
    July 22, 2008
    9 Posts
    Posted: July 26, 2008, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

I would hire someone to answer my phone and say no !

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
      Member #14
      November 9, 2001
      31344 Posts
      Posted: July 26, 2008, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

#1, pay off my house.  But there is a trick to that.  See, I would pay off my house, leave it furnished and donate it to an abused women's/childrens center.  This way these women could get back on their feet.  In order for them to feel useful, I would charge them $100/month rent each and re-donate that back to a shelter.

#3, I would buy about 15 acres of land and open an SPCA/rescue spot.  This would be staffed by one full time vet, office staff and an assistant

#4, I could STOP STRESSING about back to school clothes, normal bills (we just declared bankruptcy to prevent a foreclosure) and my work at home job. 

See, all I really want, and I am sure it is this way with a lot of people, is to be comfortable, not worry about food in the fridge, know I can take my kids to an amusement park and to help other people and animals.

Nice goals.  I wish you the best.

love to nibble those micey feet.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
        Beautiful Florida
        United States
        Member #5709
        July 18, 2004
        20108 Posts
        Posted: July 26, 2008, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

Good planning,  I hope you reach your goals. Very well planned.

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19825 Posts
          Posted: July 26, 2008, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

It depends, not all the games I play have multi-million dollars jackpots.  I play Ohio Rolling Cash5, jackpot = $100K to $350K, Ohio Classic Lotto, jackpot cash = $800K to $6M and MegaMillions.  One thing for sure, I would probably spend it all.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: July 27, 2008, 12:10 am - IP Logged

That sounds like a good plan to me Momma2three.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

assaults's avatar - anime10
              RALEIGH, North Carolina
              United States
              Member #63257
              July 24, 2008
              353 Posts
              Posted: July 27, 2008, 12:32 am - IP Logged

01. Move to Nebraska

02. Disconnect my cell phone but continue to have internet

03. Buy a car

04. Buy a 18-year-old houseboy Wink

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: July 27, 2008, 12:57 am - IP Logged

I wish you a lot of luck.   Helping other people, rescuing animals and taking care of your family are wonderful goals.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10348 Posts
                  Posted: July 27, 2008, 1:28 am - IP Logged

01. Move to Nebraska

02. Disconnect my cell phone but continue to have internet

03. Buy a car

04. Buy a 18-year-old houseboy Wink

assaults

And I thought I was bad sayng if I won I'd move to an abandoned missile silo in North Dakota - I mean, who's going to look for you there, right?

("So you won the lottery and moved to fargo, ja?")

But from NC to Nebraska is just as "good"

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

One2Adore's avatar - butterfly2
                    Maryland
                    United States
                    Member #50566
                    March 8, 2007
                    88 Posts
                    Posted: July 27, 2008, 3:40 am - IP Logged

I've definitely planned what I will do when I win.  So you're not alone. 

My plans depend on the amount won however, so I have a few plans.  LOL.  These plans don't include hardcore investments or charities because that goes without saying for plans, at least for plans #2 and #3. 

Plan #1.  Win second tier (200k PB or 275k MM):

1. Pay off second mortgage.
                    2. Pay off debt.
                    3. Buy a cheap piece of property (for investment income).
                    4. Buy new car for me.  Hubby's car is only a year old.

Plan #2.  Win less than 5 million (after taxes):

1. Pay off  total mortgage.
                    2. Pay off debt.
                    3. Pay off families debt. (no total mortgages though)
                    4. Change job to something I like doing, regardless of the pay.
                    5. Buy a couple of investment properties.
                    6. Buy new vehicles for me and hubby.

Plan #3.  Win more than 25 million (after taxes): 

1. Quit job.
                    2. Pay off total mortgage.
                    3. Pay off debt.
                    4. Pay off families debt, including mortgages if wanted.
                    5. Move to new state.
                    6. Have dream home built.
                    7. New vehicles for hubby and me.

Can you tell I've spent a lot of time thinking of this?  Big Smile

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3300 Posts
                      Posted: July 27, 2008, 6:00 am - IP Logged

well , i wouldn't pinch myself. You see it might just wake me up.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                        Member #13130
                        March 30, 2005
                        2171 Posts
                        Posted: July 27, 2008, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

Q: What would you do if you actually won?

A: Cartwheels. Clown

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Baton Rouge, LA
                          United States
                          Member #4602
                          May 7, 2004
                          699 Posts
                          Posted: July 27, 2008, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

It depends on how much I win.  I currently play Easy 5  in Louisiana, which is up to $310,000 right now.  What I would do if won was pay off the house (approx $65000) and my car (approx $2000) and then do some repairs the house needs, and build a fence for the back yard, and save/invest the rest.  If anyone asks for money, the answer is "NO!"

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: July 27, 2008, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

Q: What would you do if you actually won?

A: Cartwheels. Clown

As the contestants would shout on Family Feud "Good answer."  Can you actually do cartwheels?  Wink

My answer would be What?  I have no clue.  I want to find an area that doesn't get too hot and humid, but doesn't get too cold, isn't too remote but isn't too crowded either, is open-minded in its political views, but not too open-minded...just call me Goldilocks. 

The first business day after winning, I'd want to find a relatively safe place to put the money while I'm looking around for a house.  There are a few CDARS members nearby.  BTW I think it's funny that, being an LP member, I already knew about this so when I was checking out local rates and came across this site for a bank down the road, I just smiled.  (see link about depositing $50 million on left of home page)   http://www.orionbank.com/

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                              Member #9517
                              December 10, 2004
                              1272 Posts
                              Posted: July 27, 2008, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

Buy some luxury stuff I've always wanted, pay off debt, buy a large apartment, give money to relatives and friends and some to charity. If possible live of the interest and/or invest the rest of the money. Everything depends on how much I win of course.