Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So close!

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 8 years ago by psykomo.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
Member #91
January 19, 2002
11929 Posts
Posted: July 30, 2008, 10:01 am - IP Logged

Way to go Pac Man!!!!

Nice Hit!!

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23262 Posts
    Posted: July 30, 2008, 10:41 am - IP Logged

Congrats Pac!!

With a prize greater than $600, I think you have to file a claim form and they'll mail you a check.  The lottery machine should print a validation certificate when you redeem it.  Be sure to keep both the original lottery ticket and validation cert.  If you live near a Fla. Lottery location you can probably just drop it off there.  (Maybe they'll hand you a check on the spot?)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: July 30, 2008, 10:42 am - IP Logged

WTG! $80  is big!

Thanx everyone. Now I can pay aug rent ahead of time.

I had to go to the district office, and they cut a check out for 720.00

Then I had to go to Publix to cash it but their limit is 500.00, so I went to Wachovia, the Florida lottery's bank, and cashed it for free. I didn't want to pay 10 percent to a check cashing place....

The office wouldn't let me keep the ticket but I did get a w-2 as a souvenir...lol

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1953 Posts
        Posted: July 30, 2008, 10:48 am - IP Logged

Congratulations on your win.Thumbs Up

Gonna win.Big Smile

New Mexico
          United States
          Member #58526
          February 18, 2008
          683 Posts
          Posted: July 30, 2008, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Awesome!  Nice hit, Pac! Guitar

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
            Kunming
            China
            Member #57910
            January 23, 2008
            3626 Posts
            Posted: July 30, 2008, 11:10 am - IP Logged

Thanx everyone. Now I can pay aug rent ahead of time.

I had to go to the district office, and they cut a check out for 720.00

Then I had to go to Publix to cash it but their limit is 500.00, so I went to Wachovia, the Florida lottery's bank, and cashed it for free. I didn't want to pay 10 percent to a check cashing place....

The office wouldn't let me keep the ticket but I did get a w-2 as a souvenir...lol

Just wanna say that I hope you made copies of the ticket so you can put it in a frame and look at it. This could be the beginning of bigger things to come for you. Congrats again!

Party

Play to win!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: July 30, 2008, 11:30 am - IP Logged

Wow, good for you.  That's great! Banana

I play Fantasy-5 all the time and never got that much.  Rolldowns aren't very common, so I win about $100 if I get 4 numbers.  The only negative thing is you'll have to go to the lottery office in Fort Myers to claim it, since the stores only cash up to $600. 

EDIT:   Oops - just saw your other post about going to the Lottery Office.  They'll report this to the IRS, so keep that in mind and start hanging on to all your losers. (I remember you said you usually throw them out)

I knew Publix wouldn't cash it.  A woman won $1,000 on a scratch-off once and got angry at the clerk & asked for the store manager.  She tipped the clerk anyway, but she didn't want to drive all the way to Fort Myers.  I'm glad the lottery changed their policy.  Florida used to automatically take out 25% if the prize was over $600 and now it's $5,000 or more.

Southwest Florida
                United States
                Member #56183
                November 6, 2007
                75 Posts
                Posted: July 30, 2008, 11:35 am - IP Logged

Wow! That is great!  I just got a 4/5'er, too!  Of course, it wan't a rollover, though.Ponder  But, that's ok.  I'll get it soon!Wink

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19825 Posts
                  Posted: July 30, 2008, 11:47 am - IP Logged

Wow, good for you.  That's great! Banana

I play Fantasy-5 all the time and never got that much.  Rolldowns aren't very common, so I win about $100 if I get 4 numbers.  The only negative thing is you'll have to go to the lottery office in Fort Myers to claim it, since the stores only cash up to $600. 

EDIT:   Oops - just saw your other post about going to the Lottery Office.  They'll report this to the IRS, so keep that in mind and start hanging on to all your losers. (I remember you said you usually throw them out)

I knew Publix wouldn't cash it.  A woman won $1,000 on a scratch-off once and got angry at the clerk & asked for the store manager.  She tipped the clerk anyway, but she didn't want to drive all the way to Fort Myers.  I'm glad the lottery changed their policy.  Florida used to automatically take out 25% if the prize was over $600 and now it's $5,000 or more.

The only negative thing is you'll have to go to the lottery office in Fort Myers to claim it, since the stores only cash up to $600. 

Another negative is now he can't avoid adding those winnings to his income for taxes since he will be getting a W-2G.  He can only claim a gambling lost equal to the winnings he claims and if his total deductions don't amount to more than the standard deduction he could end out paying some federal taxes on those winnings.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
                    CT
                    United States
                    Member #61398
                    May 21, 2008
                    781 Posts
                    Posted: July 30, 2008, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

So if you keep all of your losers (say you have $720 of them), how would you file that on your taxes?  I hope they don't need a copy of every losing ticket!  ...I always keep my losers, have a nice box next to the computer.  ha.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19825 Posts
                      Posted: July 30, 2008, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

So if you keep all of your losers (say you have $720 of them), how would you file that on your taxes?  I hope they don't need a copy of every losing ticket!  ...I always keep my losers, have a nice box next to the computer.  ha.

A few years ago I matched 5of6 for $1500.  When I filed my taxes I included the amount on the W-2G of $1500.  I actually bought about $3000 worth of lottery tickets that year but could only deduct up to the $1500 I claimed as lottery winnings.  I didn't keep track of the small wins less than $100 and didn't claim them either.  I didn't have any debt on my home or truck so my total deductions including charities, medical, interest on loans, losing lottery tickets and etc. was less than the standard deduction  of $4500 so I took the standard deduction and ended up paying about $250 more in state and federal taxes than I would have paid had I not won the $1500.

Had I won $10,000, I probably would have bought a lot more tickets and found a way to exceeded the $4500 standard deduction.  I would have also kept my records and losing tickets for five years expecting to be audited later on.

Fortunately I didn't have to include my winnings on my city taxes.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #56506
                        November 21, 2007
                        6537 Posts
                        Posted: July 30, 2008, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

Way to go Pac! I bet you are feeling great right about now! Cheers

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
                          Member #48046
                          December 7, 2006
                          1699 Posts
                          Posted: July 30, 2008, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

WWWooooo!!

Good for you dude,        Will your book be out later this Summer, on how to pick random numbers?

Rumor has it that it was one of those Stouffer  Dinner Club codes inside the box.

Seriously though....... wowCheers     mind if I have one too Scarychik

United States
                            Member #17555
                            June 22, 2005
                            5582 Posts
                            Posted: July 30, 2008, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

Way to go Pac! I bet you are feeling great right about now! Cheers

Thanx everyone.

I really posted this not because of the 720 bucks, because I did win 3,000.00 about 5 years ago in the p-3.

The real reason was that I've never come this close to the JP. Of course the money helped a lot, but you get this eerie feeling by missing it by one number. Atleast I do.

Not only is my rent paid for Aug.,but I bought a porterhouse, and 6 oil can size Heinekens for tonight. I even gave the girl at the bank 10 bucks. She said that she played Fantasy five last night also, but only got a free ticket, so I threw her 10 bucks for 10 QPs for tonight. She said she wasn't allowed to accept it, but I just smiled and walked away saying have a good day....lol

It really was a blessing because it's off season for work at the airport taxi here until October. The economy is forcing people not to travel that much, which only exasperates the problem of a slow summer. Not to mention the slow housing construction.

The lottery is like my little piggy bank. I keep feeding it a few bucks everyday, eventually paying me back, and then some, when I needed for a rainy day.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                              CA
                              United States
                              Member #57222
                              December 23, 2007
                              587 Posts
                              Posted: July 30, 2008, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

Congrats PAC!  WTG!