Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

so would you tell your boss why you were quitting your job

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 8 years ago by THALIA.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Tenaj's avatar - michellea
Charlotte NC
United States
Member #17406
June 18, 2005
4053 Posts
Posted: July 31, 2008, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

takeemtothebank

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10344 Posts
    Posted: July 31, 2008, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

people think you have become their ATM

I never understood why people think that way.  Even if my own mother won I wouldn't expect anything from her. HOPEFULLY she would throw me a couple a bucks but it's her win, not mine.

Just the way some people are.

I remember one jackpot winner saying her sister-in-law actually told her, "Oh good, now that we won...."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kennesaw, GA
      United States
      Member #62138
      June 18, 2008
      1413 Posts
      Posted: July 31, 2008, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

As crazy as it might sound, I envision winning enough...but, not enough to tell my employer, see ya!  See Ya!I'm looking at just enough to be comfortable, get rid of the anxiety and focus all that wasted energy on somethings more constructive be it charity/volunteer stuff, family time or whatever!

But, ya'll are right, I couldn't get to the lottery office fast enough!Big Smile

To answer the question, as it is, assuming I did hit the big JP, I would give two weeks notice and tell them why.  I'm not one to burn bridges!  Besides, they would find out eventually anyway.  It's a small world we live in today!

I would not tell my employer.  It is really none of his concern. I traded my hours for dollars and that is the extent of our arrangement. No one will find out in my case, I would claim it anonymously.  I would quit as soon as I know the money is secure in my bank account.  No need to worry about burning bridges, after a big jackpot win, I can build my own ;-)

People’s outlook of you will change once they know that you have more than you need to live comfortably. They will see you as an atm, wells Fargo, etc.  As far as anyone will know I just got a better job...;-)

That doesnt mean i will share, i will.. Because out of a desire to do so, not because i was asked or pestered.

GoldenWhun's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        OHIO
        United States
        Member #62958
        July 14, 2008
        11 Posts
        Posted: August 1, 2008, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

Since I live in Ohio I would claim it anonymously by a blind trust. I would still go in to work that day and go in the office and tell my boss that I  had to quit due to "personal reasons". I would stay till the first break not really working too hard. I wouldnt tell anyone at work that I won because it would cause quite a commotion. Say my goodbyes and then never come back again.  Then I would give my last couple checks to some  random person who looked like they could use it.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: August 1, 2008, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

Very cute!  Love it. 

I like what Chippie wrote.  If you've worked with/for people you've grown to like & respect, you can't just walk out on them.  However, if your boss was a creep and your co-workers were nasty, I'd suggest calling on Mon to say "There was a family emergency over the weekend & I have to leave the state!"  In most cases, waiting 2 weeks to cash in a ticket won't kill anyone.  I definitely would NOT want to stay at a job after winning a large jackpot.  Look what happened to that doorman in NY.  Maybe he did goof off, but maybe he's telling the truth & was fired because the other people working there resented his new fortune.  Still, after seeing all those photos, I'm sure he violated a lot of the co-op rules he signed when he took the job.   

DC81's avatar - batman39
            MI
            United States
            Member #54830
            August 31, 2007
            985 Posts
            Posted: August 1, 2008, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

Since I live in Ohio I would claim it anonymously by a blind trust. I would still go in to work that day and go in the office and tell my boss that I  had to quit due to "personal reasons". I would stay till the first break not really working too hard. I wouldnt tell anyone at work that I won because it would cause quite a commotion. Say my goodbyes and then never come back again.  Then I would give my last couple checks to some  random person who looked like they could use it.

I think that would make it pretty easy to figure out though. You'd probably be better off waiting until things are set up if you want no one to know. Then again, you might not care who finds out after you're gone. In a way that's how I feel because then it won't matter as much.

If I was working for someone I'd still give a notice after a few days, it'd be hard and there would be a difference in my attitude, pretty much I just wouldn't put up with anyone's BS. If I get annoyed enough I wouldn't hesitate to say where they could shove it.

You can't predict random.

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
              mn
              United States
              Member #59040
              March 4, 2008
              276 Posts
              Posted: August 1, 2008, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

I don't think I would tell my boss about my lottery win that's insane, i'll just say it was for personal reasons.

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
              "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

GoldenWhun's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                OHIO
                United States
                Member #62958
                July 14, 2008
                11 Posts
                Posted: August 1, 2008, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

I work in one city and live in another so I dont think it would be too obvious for them to know.  It might take a bit to catch on and like you said by then I'll be gone. Sulk Off

mrmst's avatar - disney14
                  Glen Burnie, MD
                  United States
                  Member #427
                  June 27, 2002
                  208 Posts
                  Posted: August 1, 2008, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

There is no way I would tell my boss why I was leaving.  I would try to give proper notice (2 weeks).  I want as few people as possible to know I have won.

MrMST

Good luck and have a Disney Day ºoºHiding Behind Computer

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                    Republic of Texas
                    United States
                    Member #57557
                    January 9, 2008
                    1095 Posts
                    Posted: August 2, 2008, 10:50 am - IP Logged

If it was a sizable jackpot, The first thing I would do is call in sick the next morning so I could take that ticket and lock it  up safe in a safe deposit box.  I would then go in and ask for a week's vacation and take that time to arrange things between my finance advisor and a CDARs bank.  At the end of that week, I would go make my claim at the lottery office, then head back to work before word was widespread and quit.  I would most likely tell my boss the reason for no notice is because of the jackpot, but ask him to be quiet about it.  I am sure he would not 'blab' except for his immediate boss and the division manager.  And that's okay.

For a lesser jackpot, I would give a two week notice before going to the lottery office simply because it might take two weeks to get everything set up.  I'd have to lock the ticket either in my fireproof safe in the basement or in a bank lockbox.  I like my boss, and I like my company.  But in this case, I would not tell them it was a jackpot, only that I am moving back to Texas.

I do have a quit-job minimum jackpot, though. I would not quit unless I could bank $10 million after actual taxes. 

Thinking about it, I would have to go in at night and clean all my personal stuff off my work computer before I quit.  Sun Smiley 

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

One2Adore's avatar - butterfly2
                      Maryland
                      United States
                      Member #50566
                      March 8, 2007
                      88 Posts
                      Posted: August 3, 2008, 12:12 am - IP Logged

This is another thing I daydream about.  It's a wonder how I get anything done with all this daydreaming.  LOL. 

In my head, this is how it would go down: I'd go back to work, but over a period of a week, every day I'd take a few items of personal stuff home with me until it was all cleared.  Then I'd leave my ID badge on my desk along with a letter of resignation. 

In reality, I'd talk to my boss face to face and say that due to personal reasons I am putting in my two weeks notice.   

That's being nice considering my boss is evil and can be really mean to people.  They are quick to tell people if you don't like it here, you are free to go.

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                        Member #24380
                        October 21, 2005
                        623 Posts
                        Posted: August 3, 2008, 12:22 am - IP Logged

I definitely would not tell, however, I would provide a two week notice.

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: August 3, 2008, 12:23 am - IP Logged

This is another thing I daydream about.  It's a wonder how I get anything done with all this daydreaming.  LOL. 

In my head, this is how it would go down: I'd go back to work, but over a period of a week, every day I'd take a few items of personal stuff home with me until it was all cleared.  Then I'd leave my ID badge on my desk along with a letter of resignation. 

In reality, I'd talk to my boss face to face and say that due to personal reasons I am putting in my two weeks notice.   

That's being nice considering my boss is evil and can be really mean to people.  They are quick to tell people if you don't like it here, you are free to go.

I just love your signature...lol

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
                            Member #60535
                            April 21, 2008
                            460 Posts
                            Posted: August 3, 2008, 10:43 am - IP Logged

I guess I should say I work online and have never met any of the people I work for.  That's probably why I would want to scan and email my winning ticket.  I wouldn't tell anybody around me I won.  I'm sure the local media would do that for me since I live in a different state than I play in.

dallas
                              United States
                              Member #63630
                              August 3, 2008
                              3 Posts
                              Posted: August 3, 2008, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

That is the worst thing you could possibly do.  Taxes, man, taxes.  See an estate attorney first and keep your mouth shut to co-workers and friends.  Get your ducks in a row first!