Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 12:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Tips for winning

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 8 years ago by PaPlayer412.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #64434
August 28, 2008
31 Posts
Posted: September 11, 2008, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

Avoid $1 and $2 scratch offs.  Its not worth it.

This seems to be the key thing that used to stop me from winning anything! I used to buy them all the time and then after reading the tips on here I stopped, and what do you know, I've won more than I usually do by buying the moe expensive ones!

Amanda Star

Georgia
    United States
    Member #51546
    April 13, 2007
    2 Posts
    Posted: September 13, 2008, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

I am guilty of buying those $1 and 2$ tickets and have never won more than a Free Ticket are a few dollars! In fact I am loosing my a## playing anything here in the Georgia Lottery! I feel that the Lottery people do know where and control where the winning tickets go! Hey, its a business and it's not designed to loose money but to make money! But, I will keep playing hoping, as everyone does to hit the Big One one day! Like they say if you don't play, you wont win! The info in this Post is really good and interesting! I am going to give it a try! I have a question! I see people buying unopened packs / rolls of Scratch Off Tickets. Can this be profitable? And PLEASE keep sharing any tips on increasing our odds on winning!!

BobbySee Ya!

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
      Member #45970
      September 1, 2006
      4763 Posts
      Posted: September 13, 2008, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

I am guilty of buying those $1 and 2$ tickets and have never won more than a Free Ticket are a few dollars! In fact I am loosing my a## playing anything here in the Georgia Lottery! I feel that the Lottery people do know where and control where the winning tickets go! Hey, its a business and it's not designed to loose money but to make money! But, I will keep playing hoping, as everyone does to hit the Big One one day! Like they say if you don't play, you wont win! The info in this Post is really good and interesting! I am going to give it a try! I have a question! I see people buying unopened packs / rolls of Scratch Off Tickets. Can this be profitable? And PLEASE keep sharing any tips on increasing our odds on winning!!

BobbySee Ya!

As a general rule, this is not a good idea. I have personally known poeple who have done this several times, and have also read about many people who have done this. In all cases, the most anyone ever did was win back 50%-70% of their money. With that being said however, there is always the chance that the pack you buy might have the "big winner" in it, in which case you would profit. It's a risk no matter how you look at it. Your best bet would be to play no more than 2 tickets at a time, and walk away when you are "ahead".

Honduras
        Member #20982
        August 29, 2005
        4715 Posts
        Posted: September 14, 2008, 12:47 am - IP Logged

got question about this one...Don't you think that state with smaller population you have better odds of fairing better than state with bigger population....I think states with bigger population need to increase the number of payouts on compensate for their bigger population so that then can be even out with state that have smaller population...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
          Member #45970
          September 1, 2006
          4763 Posts
          Posted: September 14, 2008, 3:11 am - IP Logged

got question about this one...Don't you think that state with smaller population you have better odds of fairing better than state with bigger population....I think states with bigger population need to increase the number of payouts on compensate for their bigger population so that then can be even out with state that have smaller population...

As a general rule, I don't really think it makes a difference either way. The state prints a set number of tickets and distributes them among all retailers in the state. If there is a high population, you run a higher risk of "someone else" winning, and if you live in a low population state you'd all be "searching" for the big winner and would have to purchase more tickets in order to find it. Obviously my theories might be way off base though as I can't seem to win anything but free tickets on scratchers.

Vergie6's avatar - Santa 20kitty.jpg
            North Carolina
            United States
            Member #59855
            March 29, 2008
            31553 Posts
            Posted: September 14, 2008, 10:27 am - IP Logged

I Agree!  All states do the same thing. Many times they will advertise a game under an old name with a twist, such as you stated, yet these games are never identical. The odds, payouts, etc. are different. Only the appearances are similar. As for cashing a non-validated winning ticket, been there, done that. LOL. I guess some store clerks do get busy and forget what they are doing.

Actually the store clerk in this instance had validated the tickets and that was why I called the lottery headquarters and the clerk called from her store too and we were both told that the lottery people had not done "their" paper work on the roll of tickets before it left them...whatever that meant but in a couple of hours they called me and they called the clerk and told us I would be able to cash it then and I did......never had that happen before but have had one not validated before and had to take it back to the store that sold it and then when they validated the roll I could do it.....this was a first time thing for me.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
              Member #4121
              March 23, 2004
              817 Posts
              Posted: September 15, 2008, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

Just buy one ticket. 

Set4life's avatar - 2554
                East Hampton, NY
                United States
                Member #41995
                June 25, 2006
                1137 Posts
                Posted: October 15, 2008, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

Damn thanks for the tips soothsayer!

$Group Hug$

FOR THE WIN!

soothsayer's avatar - Soothsayer jpg?
                  SC
                  United States
                  Member #56656
                  November 28, 2007
                  511 Posts
                  Posted: October 29, 2008, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

You're welcome !!!

Let the good times roll...

soothsayer's avatar - Soothsayer jpg?
                    SC
                    United States
                    Member #56656
                    November 28, 2007
                    511 Posts
                    Posted: October 29, 2008, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

Attention all scratch-off players, the holidays are approaching and most states will have tickets designed for this time. Remember my tips and be patient. Play smart and hope you all have the best of luck !!!

Let the good times roll...

United States
                      United States
                      Member #60097
                      April 5, 2008
                      3958 Posts
                      Posted: November 30, 2008, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

Keep an eye on the ticket numbers that you win on.  Sometimes there are hot portions of a book; they tend to vary depending on what denomination ticket you buy. On some instant games in some states, the same ticket number or within 1-5 tickets of a particular number tend to win a nice prize on most books.  If there are ticket hawks in the store, then beware; this is especially true from Thursday afternoon through Sunday, and around the first of the month when people get checks.  Monday through Wednesday is often the best time to buy if you are only going to buy 1 or 2 tickets without worrying about doing "scratch till you win". 

Personally, I like to buy the 10 dollar tickets in moderation; they are my favorite.  They have a large enough prize to be worthwhile, and many books have at least a 100 dollar top prize winner in them.  The odds of winning a top prize on the 20 dollar tickets are sometimes not as good as the 10 dollar tickets, and 250,000 for a top prize on the 10 dollar tickets is a nice amount.

Have a Great Holiday and Good Luck to Everyone,

Keystone

United States
                        Member #67954
                        December 9, 2008
                        8 Posts
                        Posted: December 9, 2008, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

IMO scratch offs are the most boring gambling game. Its totally random.

Baton Rouge, LA
                          United States
                          Member #4602
                          May 7, 2004
                          699 Posts
                          Posted: December 29, 2008, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

The only scratch offs I play are the ones that have a second chance drawing.  That way even if I lose, I still have another chance.  The best I've done on one of those is I won $100 on the second chance drawing, and that was the old Powerball game show ticket.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

sc
                            United States
                            Member #69230
                            January 6, 2009
                            7 Posts
                            Posted: January 6, 2009, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

first i want to say hi to everyone and i am glad i found this site. great tips!! i never thought of like looking and remebering the numbers on tickets i have one. all tips appreciated. i just starting playing again been a long time since i played. i had a friend tell me a guy buys a whole roll or half roll of the $10 and said he said you either get your money back or more but you could also take a lost but get atleast half your money back depending on the roll. i am in sc by the way. i finally said to myself let me give it a try so i went to the gas station and bought 15 of the $10 tickets and may way i was thinking odds are like 1:3.15 so i say 1 out of 3,so 15 tickets i should (hopefully) hit 5 anyway i started scratching and by the time i was on my 10 card i only won $85 then by the 13 ticket i scratched off a $200 winner so excited and then my last $10 so all together i won $295($150back and $145 profit). did it again the 2 days later and they didn't have the card i wanted so bought another $10 ticket 15 of them only one $80 it has alot of prizes left remaining so i went for it and took a lost oh well. so i try and play the odds but sometimes for exmple i bought 9 $10 tickets and hit 6out of that 9 and another time i bought 7 and only hit 2. so i will use the tips i just learned and give it a try again this week. in sc $10 cards i like cool cash tripler and moneymaker2. mite try my luck on a $2.00 card with a $500 top prize. thanks everyone and good luck!!!hope fully i can scratch off more than $300 this week..

Instyle's avatar - Lottery-044.jpg

United States
                              Member #55821
                              October 21, 2007
                              161 Posts
                              Posted: January 12, 2009, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

first i want to say hi to everyone and i am glad i found this site. great tips!! i never thought of like looking and remebering the numbers on tickets i have one. all tips appreciated. i just starting playing again been a long time since i played. i had a friend tell me a guy buys a whole roll or half roll of the $10 and said he said you either get your money back or more but you could also take a lost but get atleast half your money back depending on the roll. i am in sc by the way. i finally said to myself let me give it a try so i went to the gas station and bought 15 of the $10 tickets and may way i was thinking odds are like 1:3.15 so i say 1 out of 3,so 15 tickets i should (hopefully) hit 5 anyway i started scratching and by the time i was on my 10 card i only won $85 then by the 13 ticket i scratched off a $200 winner so excited and then my last $10 so all together i won $295($150back and $145 profit). did it again the 2 days later and they didn't have the card i wanted so bought another $10 ticket 15 of them only one $80 it has alot of prizes left remaining so i went for it and took a lost oh well. so i try and play the odds but sometimes for exmple i bought 9 $10 tickets and hit 6out of that 9 and another time i bought 7 and only hit 2. so i will use the tips i just learned and give it a try again this week. in sc $10 cards i like cool cash tripler and moneymaker2. mite try my luck on a $2.00 card with a $500 top prize. thanks everyone and good luck!!!hope fully i can scratch off more than $300 this week..

Thanks for sharing your experience.   Good luck and take care! :)