Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Next person in Line

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 8 years ago by lottocalgal.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2008, 2:07 pm - IP Logged
You get out of your car and walk into a store.  You're polite, so you hold the door open for someone else and you both head toward the counter.  You smile and say "go ahead" and then you see his/her picture in the paper. 

Local couple wins $50 million. 
Mr. Johnson said he just stopped at 7-Eleven for a pack of cigarettes and decided to buy a QP. "I was just lucky.  I mean, who knows?  It could have been the guy in back of me, but I guess I was in the right place at the right time."
Your honest reaction would be .................
    rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
    mn
    United States
    Member #59040
    March 4, 2008
    276 Posts
    Posted: August 6, 2008, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

At first I would be p*ssed, like really angry. Oh man I would just go CRAZY; knowing that who wouldn't be angry (to be that close yet so far).

Eventually after the anger subsides I would be sad and just cry for a long time.

Then I would be depressed for a couple of days.

Then return to normal, I think.

Now that I think about it I wouldnt even want to know that, that person won.

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
    "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2008, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

Justx....you're going to get gray hairs worrying about this stuff....lol

How can you live your life constantly wondering if this or that person in front or back or what block they lived on won?

That's like wondering if the 382nd person behind you won, or the the 2,946th person ahead of you 2 days ago won.

If it's your turn, it won't matter.

Let me see....hmmmm...what if I didn't stop to pee....could I have been in the right place and time to win?...lol

Hmmmm....If i didn't slam on the brakes for the yellow light and went thru, would I have been at the store at the precise moment?

C,mon.... 

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: August 6, 2008, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

At least mentally, I'd probably practice my expletives. Cussing Face

Back when our jackpot had rolled for over a year, that (nearly) happened to me. A woman who had walked into the store just in front of me got in line to get tickets. I asked her "You're not getting my 48 (or whatever it was) million, are you?" Her reply? "That's exactly what I'm doing."

It rolled for 1 more drawing or so, and the winner was a different person - who bought in a different city. Evil Smile

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          51064 Posts
          Posted: August 6, 2008, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

No good deed: Goes unpunished... lol...

If it's your time to Win: You'll get the Winning Lottery Ticket no matter when you appear at the Lottery Terminal, and when you Win: You'll be thinking: I was in the right place at the right time!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19898 Posts
            Posted: August 6, 2008, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

I would feel he was right, he was lucky to be in the right place at the right time. 

As for me, I don't buy QPs, I alway pick my combinations using a computer program I'm still making changes to.  If I won I would probably feel my lottery program is working and doesn't need any more changes.  I would keep playing to make sure it was the program and not luck that helped me win.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10390 Posts
              Posted: August 6, 2008, 2:32 pm - IP Logged
              You get out of your car and walk into a store.  You're polite, so you hold the door open for someone else and you both head toward the counter.  You smile and say "go ahead" and then you see his/her picture in the paper. 

Mr. Johnson said he just stopped at 7-Eleven for a pack of cigarettes and decided to buy a QP. "I was just lucky.  I mean, who knows?  It could have been the guy in back of me, but I guess I was in the right place at the right time."

This has probably already happened.

On a much smaller scale than lotto, but along the same principle, I don't know how many times in Vegas I had just made a sports bet only to hear the next person get to the window and bet against the team I had just bet on.

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

numbergirly's avatar - 0002009C
                Dover, Delaware
                United States
                Member #26979
                November 25, 2005
                178 Posts
                Posted: August 6, 2008, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

When it's your time nothing can stop it. You gotta believe and if you are a player you must believe you're gonna win or, you would not play. I will be the next million+ winner. GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO PLAYS.

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS   Ice Water 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #56506
                  November 21, 2007
                  6537 Posts
                  Posted: August 6, 2008, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

Honestly, I probably wouldn't care. Odds are, I wouldn't even remember who was in front of me or in back of me at the time I purchased my tickets.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

numbergirly's avatar - 0002009C
                    Dover, Delaware
                    United States
                    Member #26979
                    November 25, 2005
                    178 Posts
                    Posted: August 6, 2008, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

No good deed: Goes unpunished... lol...

If it's your time to Win: You'll get the Winning Lottery Ticket no matter when you appear at the Lottery Terminal, and when you Win: You'll be thinking: I was in the right place at the right time!

My thoughts exactlyWink

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS   Ice Water 

Litebets27's avatar - power
                      Maryland
                      United States
                      Member #10465
                      January 14, 2005
                      6065 Posts
                      Posted: August 6, 2008, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

Honestly, this happened to me a couple of times with scratch-offs. The little convenients store that I buy lottery has 4 large tables set up where you can relax and play keno, fill out your lottery tickets, play racetrax or whatever. Many just come to buy scratchoffs and sit and scratchoff while on site. I have gone to the window to buy scratch-offs and play keno and have had someone buy from the roll that I was about to purchase from. Once a woman won $200.00 the next time it was $500.00. I just congratulated them.

I haven't experienced someone buying and hitting a big jackpot right in front of me. Unless they are one of the regulars at the store, I wouldn't remeber them anyway.

litebets

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #22395
                        September 24, 2005
                        1583 Posts
                        Posted: August 6, 2008, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

When it's your time nothing can stop it. You gotta believe and if you are a player you must believe you're gonna win or, you would not play. I will be the next million+ winner. GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO PLAYS.

If it is your turn and "nothing can stop it," then why do you have to
                        believe you are going to win?

You win whether you believe it or not.  You DON'T have to believe
                        it, positive attitude has no influence over winning or losing.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                          Indiana
                          United States
                          Member #48725
                          January 7, 2007
                          1958 Posts
                          Posted: August 6, 2008, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

Even if you decided not to hold the door and say "go ahead", the results would have been different. It only takes a second, then boom, and entire new set of results. Add on top of that the fact the official numbers are chosen at random as well. So, ultimately it doesn't matter who let who go first. If you win, you win.

Gonna win.Big Smile

four4me's avatar - gate1
                            MD
                            United States
                            Member #1701
                            June 18, 2003
                            8393 Posts
                            Posted: August 6, 2008, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

Been there done that i walked into this place and there was a guy buying the same kind of scratcher that i wanted to buy he bought like 5 of them started scratching and i bought 2 of them and got the 9 grand winner he was pretty PO-ed. he said he should have bought ten tickets acted like i stoled his prize i calmly said sorry bout that and left before he became irate.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                              Litebets27's avatar - power
                              Maryland
                              United States
                              Member #10465
                              January 14, 2005
                              6065 Posts
                              Posted: August 6, 2008, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

Been there done that i walked into this place and there was a guy buying the same kind of scratcher that i wanted to buy he bought like 5 of them started scratching and i bought 2 of them and got the 9 grand winner he was pretty PO-ed. he said he should have bought ten tickets acted like i stoled his prize i calmly said sorry bout that and left before he became irate.

The nerve of some people.

Good for you.

Have you seen him since that happened?

litebets

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!