Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 3:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Next person in Line

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 8 years ago by lottocalgal.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
Member #13130
March 30, 2005
2171 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2008, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

Been there done that i walked into this place and there was a guy buying the same kind of scratcher that i wanted to buy he bought like 5 of them started scratching and i bought 2 of them and got the 9 grand winner he was pretty PO-ed. he said he should have bought ten tickets acted like i stoled his prize i calmly said sorry bout that and left before he became irate.

the best reason to reveal the scratchers away from the store.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
    Member #9517
    December 10, 2004
    1272 Posts
    Posted: August 6, 2008, 4:21 pm - IP Logged
    You get out of your car and walk into a store.  You're polite, so you hold the door open for someone else and you both head toward the counter.  You smile and say "go ahead" and then you see his/her picture in the paper. 

Local couple wins $50 million. 
    Mr. Johnson said he just stopped at 7-Eleven for a pack of cigarettes and decided to buy a QP. "I was just lucky.  I mean, who knows?  It could have been the guy in back of me, but I guess I was in the right place at the right time."
    Your honest reaction would be .................

Everything in the world is random. Even if you got inline before this person you still would have gotten other numbers. Different numbers would have been drawn also.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
      Member #91
      January 19, 2002
      11932 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2008, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

I never gave that much thought, but I got a look once when the guy in front of me bought 50 Quick pics, and after he moved out of the way I played my numbers and asked for the next QP also...

However last year when I got into a car accident I spent the rest of the day thinking about what led up to it...you know if i had stopped at that one yellow light instead of running through it a half hour before the incident, or if I had just had one more thing to say to my staff before I left....

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10353 Posts
        Posted: August 6, 2008, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

Anyone here ever read any Kurt Vonnegut Jr books?

He often included passages in his novels like, "That moment in time was just structured that way......it will always be structured that way..."

Kind of similar to the old Twilight Zone episode where the guy went back in time and tried to stop the Lincoln assassination, but he couldn't....

Considering the OP by justxploring:

News item, Florida....

Thousands of Florida lottery players today reported that people who had always been very polite and courteous got irate and downright hostile about their place in line at the lotto windows....one woman who asked to remain anonymous said it had something to do with something seen on the internet.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: August 6, 2008, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Thanks everyone for answering.  Pac, I never said I was losing my hair or going gray..well both are true, but not because of the lottery.  (I don't sleep either.) I simply asked how people would feel if that happened, since it obviously does.  After all, there usually is a "next person" unless you buy your ticket exactly at the second the date changes to the next drawing. Timing is everything.

There was a Mad About You episode where Paul and Jamie went back in time to see if it was fate that brought them together, since they wondered if they were soulmates meant to be together.  

Sorry you were in an accident fja.  Hope your injuries have healed.  I've wondered the same thing after a traumatic experience.  I once saw a program where people who worked at the WTC were being interviewed.  One person had an early morning dentist appointment.  Another missed the ferry from NJ.   Imagine how they feel. 

JordanT1021's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
            North Carolina
            United States
            Member #53121
            June 24, 2007
            6500 Posts
            Posted: August 6, 2008, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

Justx....you're going to get gray hairs worrying about this stuff....lol

How can you live your life constantly wondering if this or that person in front or back or what block they lived on won?

That's like wondering if the 382nd person behind you won, or the the 2,946th person ahead of you 2 days ago won.

If it's your turn, it won't matter.

Let me see....hmmmm...what if I didn't stop to pee....could I have been in the right place and time to win?...lol

Hmmmm....If i didn't slam on the brakes for the yellow light and went thru, would I have been at the store at the precise moment?

C,mon.... 

well said...

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: August 6, 2008, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

well said...

Yes, I like Pac's post too.  Except I NEVER asked "Do you worry about whether or not the person in front of you just bought the winning ticket?"  I didn't even say how I would feel, since I play self picks most of the time. 

I was asking how it would feel to let someone go ahead of you and then see his picture in the paper if you were both buying QPs for the same game.  

@Piaceri.  Just saw your post below.  Yes, that's a good analogy.  I've seen people playing slots for hours, even all night.   They don't want to leave because they know someone will eventually win. 

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                Republic of Texas
                United States
                Member #57557
                January 9, 2008
                1095 Posts
                Posted: August 6, 2008, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

When I get up from a slot machine and the next person sits down and two pulls later hits for a nice win, I just say congrats, and tell myself it was not my win to win.  Real simple.  Same thing with the lottery.  For these types of things, I definitely believe in fate.

And, btw, I never scratch my instant tickets at the store or in front of people.  Too much bad karma that way if you win.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                  Dump Water Florida
                  United States
                  Member #380
                  June 5, 2002
                  3104 Posts
                  Posted: August 6, 2008, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

On the weekend we sometimes enjoy visiting antique and thrift stores.  I can't begin to tell you how many times we've arrived just in time to see someone carrying out the very treasure I would have bought if we got there first.  I've also learned not to say I'll pick that up on the way out, it'll be gone for sure.

Quick Picks, winning is down to the micro-second.  A moment off and that winning ticket pops out of one of the other thousands of terminals elsewhere.  You're not next, everyone at every terminal in the state is next all at once.  Scratch tickets, that's another story . . .

BobP

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: August 6, 2008, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

Justx....I only said that because I've seen similar posts from you in the past regarding what actions taken in a store could possibly have an affect on whether you hit the JP.

Ok, I'll answer your question. To me personally, I would be very angry, but after about a week of stress, I'd come to the realization that it's just something that I have no control over, and get gray hairs worrying about it. Jester

Idesire$'s avatar - Lottery-025.jpg
                      Ellenwood,Georgia
                      United States
                      Member #60512
                      April 21, 2008
                      471 Posts
                      Posted: August 6, 2008, 7:25 pm - IP Logged
                      You get out of your car and walk into a store.  You're polite, so you hold the door open for someone else and you both head toward the counter.  You smile and say "go ahead" and then you see his/her picture in the paper. 

Mr. Johnson said he just stopped at 7-Eleven for a pack of cigarettes and decided to buy a QP. "I was just lucky.  I mean, who knows?  It could have been the guy in back of me, but I guess I was in the right place at the right time."

Just know something more is planned for you, like 100million it wasn't time for that good deed. But look at it this way at least you no of a lucky store where 50 million was won I would play at this store everyday LOL. 

CowboysFan's avatar - Cowboys
                        Sunny California
                        United States
                        Member #63790
                        August 8, 2008
                        220 Posts
                        Posted: August 8, 2008, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

I would be happy for them and would move on with my life because you would just get depressed thinking about how close you were to winning millions of dollars.

c

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                          A long and winding road
                          United States
                          Member #17084
                          June 10, 2005
                          4529 Posts
                          Posted: August 8, 2008, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

Fja, hit the nail on the head! How just changing one course of events in that day could impact the rest.

Two weeks ago, I was running late on a Monday morning for work, carrying that Mad hatter attitude tune in my head. My cell phone rings, its my BF who is a Firefighter for the district I work in. There has been a major accident on the interstate. A truck had reamed 8 cars and created a major backup. Since it was right at the time I would have arrived to my job site he was distraught knowing I was already enroute and possibly one of the car hazardous. How sad I was that folks were harmed, How blessed I was knowing that by being late I had deterred meeting the pearly gates so quickly. MY BF never said he was worried but the phone call said it all. He often said he never wants to get to a scene of an accident where a dear one is harmed.

Every now and again thinking I was two minutes late for the correct quickpick I remember, its just not my time yet and I smile....there are far more important values then money....:)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            CA
                            United States
                            Member #57222
                            December 23, 2007
                            587 Posts
                            Posted: August 8, 2008, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

Hi justxploring,

I used to think I'd be upset.  But you know, I probably won't now-because  I truly think, if (when) its YOUR time, it will be, nomatter what.  The only time I may  think otherwise is if I play  the same numbers ALL the time,  (which I do) and the one day i don't,  those numbers hit the jackpot.  I'm not sure how  i'd react but I try look at it the same way I do the slots.  You have to be there  at the exact second (or a portion thereof) that this other person played.   Let's say you did go in first and  at the exact time the numbers would have come through the machine, you were looking in your pocket for change-you are a few seconds late and  the timing was just  slightly off. 

In addition.  I don't play  QP's for the same reason.  I think,  not only do a specific set of numbers have to come up, they:

1. Have to come up on the perfect day.
                            2. Have to come up with the perfect retailer.
                            3. Have to come up at the perfect time.
                            4. Have to come up at the exact moment the clerk ran MY ticket through.

If I play  the same set, it doesnt matter where they, hit, when they hit- if I play, I will win.

(Note: the whole sex offender and career criminal winners also cleared up my "karma" theory as well-  We all have a chance of winning, no matter what, where, or even who we are.)

Big Smile