Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Me and a co-worker had an idea.

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 8 years ago by DoctorEw220.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
Yinzer Country, PA
United States
Member #4067
March 18, 2004
2741 Posts
Posted: August 13, 2008, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

Ok.  A few weeks ago, there was a customer who bought a piece of salmon, which has a shelf-life of 3 days.  She kept it in her fridge for 5 days.  When she looked at it, it had gone bad.  So she came back and talked to my boss (the meat manager, NOT the seafood manager), who told her to go to customer service and she would get a refund.  Me and a co-worker, thinking that this was just plain spoiling the customer, thought it might be funny to take all of our items that have been purchased from work that have gone bad and gotten refunds from them.  Well, that idea evolved into this one.

What if we had saved up all our losing lottery tickets for a week or so, and went to customer service and demanded a refund?  Figuring that our work does whatever will make the customers happy, and when we are off the clock, we would technically be considered customers, they'll have no choice but to give us our money back or get reported to management.

What do you think?

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
    CT
    United States
    Member #61398
    May 21, 2008
    781 Posts
    Posted: August 13, 2008, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

Interesting thought, but refunding losing lotto tickets would completely kill the lotteries all together unfortunately.

And why is it people would even think to return fish that they let sit in their fridge until it went bad?  Some people take the word 'cheap' to a new extreme.

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8361 Posts
      Posted: August 13, 2008, 11:52 pm - IP Logged
      come on man you're college educated you know lottery tickets aren't refundable after the drawing takes place.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
        Yinzer Country, PA
        United States
        Member #4067
        March 18, 2004
        2741 Posts
        Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:06 am - IP Logged

Oh I know that, but at my work, we have to do EVERYTHING that the customers want, regardless of how rediculous it is.  Basically if we can physically do something, and it is not a violation of the union rules, we HAVE to do it, or else we get yelled at by management.

Also, we weren't thinking about numbers games.  We were thinking scratch-off tickets.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Yinzer Country, PA
          United States
          Member #4067
          March 18, 2004
          2741 Posts
          Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:17 am - IP Logged

Interesting thought, but refunding losing lotto tickets would completely kill the lotteries all together unfortunately.

And why is it people would even think to return fish that they let sit in their fridge until it went bad?  Some people take the word 'cheap' to a new extreme.

My work is known for having the absolute worst clientelle.  I've gone to other stores in the chain, and when they find out which one I work at, I usually hear something like "Oh, I'm so sorry for you.  You have to deal with the spoiled brats."

It wouldn't necessarily kill the lottery, since they debit the money straight from the company account once the pack is settled.  It would just kill the store's profits.

As for the lady who left the fish in her fridge for 5 days, some people are just not very smart.  I've dealt with these types of people before.  They complain about anything and everything just to get something for free.  They won't assume responsibility for their own stupidity.

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8361 Posts
            Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:31 am - IP Logged

Doc you know the store works for the lottery as an agent... the store is not allowed to refund lottery tickets that are losers. Unless the manager wants to do it out of his pocket. So if 100 people come in with 500 dollars worth of loosing lottery tickets every day he would go broke not the lottery because the lottery doesn't refund tickets that have been bought and paid for after the drawing take place and they would never refund a scratched lottery ticket either.

Yinzer Country, PA
              United States
              Member #4067
              March 18, 2004
              2741 Posts
              Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:33 am - IP Logged

I think you need to spend a day at my work and understand exactly how spoiled our customers are at times.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8361 Posts
                Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:41 am - IP Logged

I don't care how spoiled the customers are you cant redeem a losing lottery ticket. Unless the store want to go broke doing so.... the lottery will not reimburse the store for giving peoples money back on losing lottery tickets.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #56506
                  November 21, 2007
                  6537 Posts
                  Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:45 am - IP Logged

I agree. I know this scenario is a just-for-fun type of thing, but if the lottery started to give out refunds, (which of course will never happen.) they would probably not make any profits and go bankrupt.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8361 Posts
                    Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:49 am - IP Logged

I think you need to spend a day at my work and understand exactly how spoiled our customers are at times.

And it thats the case i can go there buy a 1000 dollars worth of scratchers buy a picnic lunch go somewhere scratch all the tickets, come back later redeem the winners and ask for my money back on all the losers.

give me a frigging break.

If there that stupid to do that PM me the address I'll be up there as soon as i can get to the bank today.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8361 Posts
                      Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:50 am - IP Logged

I agree. I know this scenario is a just-for-fun type of thing, but if the lottery started to give out refunds, (which of course will never happen.) they would probably not make any profits and go bankrupt.

the lottery isn't giving out the funds the store managers are.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10351 Posts
                        Posted: August 14, 2008, 9:56 am - IP Logged

Getting paid for losers (other than an official state second chance type drawing) may sound like a neat idea, but what's not to say the store paying you for losers isn't going to refuse to pay a winner.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
                          Member #26882
                          November 23, 2005
                          1404 Posts
                          Posted: August 14, 2008, 10:28 am - IP Logged

Ok.  A few weeks ago, there was a customer who bought a piece of salmon, which has a shelf-life of 3 days.  She kept it in her fridge for 5 days.  When she looked at it, it had gone bad.  So she came back and talked to my boss (the meat manager, NOT the seafood manager), who told her to go to customer service and she would get a refund.  Me and a co-worker, thinking that this was just plain spoiling the customer, thought it might be funny to take all of our items that have been purchased from work that have gone bad and gotten refunds from them.  Well, that idea evolved into this one.

What if we had saved up all our losing lottery tickets for a week or so, and went to customer service and demanded a refund?  Figuring that our work does whatever will make the customers happy, and when we are off the clock, we would technically be considered customers, they'll have no choice but to give us our money back or get reported to management.

What do you think?

You know what I think? I think you and your co-worker are really board at work! LOL

My husband is the meat and deli manager at a major Grocery chain, if someone would of brought back meat that THEY allowed to expire in their refrigerator, you know what he would of said?

NO refund for YOU!!!!! Now get going and don’t let the door hit you in the butt on the way out!

It’s hard enough getting stores to pay out on winners let alone refund your losers, its not going to happen, not in this lifetime anyway.

Yinzer Country, PA
                            United States
                            Member #4067
                            March 18, 2004
                            2741 Posts
                            Posted: August 15, 2008, 12:06 am - IP Logged

Me and my co-worker (In our boredon that is the night shift) put a little more thought into this idea, and we decided that in order to get this to work, we would have to have a friend, who does not work for the company, try this out first.

Yinzer Country, PA
                              United States
                              Member #4067
                              March 18, 2004
                              2741 Posts
                              Posted: August 15, 2008, 12:12 am - IP Logged

You know what I think? I think you and your co-worker are really board at work! LOL

My husband is the meat and deli manager at a major Grocery chain, if someone would of brought back meat that THEY allowed to expire in their refrigerator, you know what he would of said?

NO refund for YOU!!!!! Now get going and don’t let the door hit you in the butt on the way out!

It’s hard enough getting stores to pay out on winners let alone refund your losers, its not going to happen, not in this lifetime anyway.

While I will give you that (Although at my work, we don't get bored too often.), I must ask for which chain is he a manager?

Me and my co-worker also thought the lady should not have been given a refund, especially since it was the meat manager who gave her the refund, and not the seafood manager (who should have handled it, since it was fish that she let go bad.), but we won't get into that.